PDA

View Full Version : Insulation for chinking ?

Arky
02-07-2007, 08:35 AM
Has anyone used just a water-proof insulation for chinking, without any 'hard' chinking. What I had in mind was wedging a rope-shaped, closed-cell foam (perhaps such as large size pipe insulation) that would expand as the logs shrunk.
I realize that it would not look that great, (hunting cabin-don't care about looks) but wondered if it (besides insulating between the logs) would solve the chink crack problem caused by the logs shrinking.
If so, it might be a low cost alternative to conventional chinking, as well as less labor intensive.
Any comments ?

Derek D
02-07-2007, 08:54 AM
My first thought is that mice or rats would have a field day chewing through the foam. Just the first thing that came to mind.

Derek

rreidnauer
02-07-2007, 08:56 AM
Yea, It would work fine, as it would take up the gap during log shrinkage. It's probably not going to be a permanent solution for sides of the building with partial or complete Southern exposer, as most of those foam products are only UV resistant at best. There may also be some question of moisture lingering between the foam and the log itself, becoming a point of rot potential.

Agreed, a cheap (albeit temporary) alternative.

adubar
02-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Arky,

How were you planning on anchoring the foam? Where you hoping that log weight alone would keep it in place or did you have another method you were thinking of using?

I assume from your comments that you are trying to get away from using chinking due to cracks. If applied properly, cracking at wost should only result in a minor cosmetic touch up that you do, if at all.

-A

Kola
02-07-2007, 09:42 AM
What are some of the best methods for insulation and chinking? I believe (correct me if I am wrong) mortar works well but what type of insulation works best?

Kola

dvb
02-07-2007, 09:54 AM
All of this discussion is another good reason to take the class. All of your questions will be answered. I sincerely hope you are not contemplating only using closed cell foam and not chinking.