PDA

View Full Version : HOW MUCH COULD YOU BUILD THIS FOR?

garrett
10-18-2006, 09:23 PM
This house looks very, VERY simple to build... anyone have an idea on how little of a budget you could build it on?

any info GREATLY appreciated

ty
Garrett F

SORRY,
the link to the house is
http://www.tomraper.com/rv_search_details.asp?INV_ID=9650

KeithMN
10-19-2006, 07:18 AM
Looks like a mobile home with log siding. If you wanted to build that size and shape of a home, I can't believe it would be very expensive at all. If you take/have taken Skip's classes, I'm sure their techniques for building it mortgage free would be pretty easy to utilize.

Then again, I haven't built my log home yet and am taking the class in 23 days. So, my answer doesn't come from experience. Sure looks like it would be very feasible, though.

Mark OBrien
10-19-2006, 07:15 PM
I've been to Raper's RV's there in Indiana and that is a small mobile they offer. It is 34' long by no more than 12' wide. Appx 408 Square feet. I don't know about you but that is a pretty tight space for me with my wife and 2 dogs to share!

adubar
10-20-2006, 09:35 AM
garrett,

Something to think about , you may not need to build one at all, but find one that is being given away--which happens from time to time.

That type of mobile home is fairly common out here in the PNW. If you can scrounge the parts and welder (for the frame) and building materials you could probably build one for a couple thousand. You could also build one with no cost to you other than your labor, if you can scrouge like radar o'reilley. You'd need to research your local laws for moving one on the highway so that it would be legal to transport.

One thing about the designs of a great majority of mobile homes is that they are not very well ventilated. Rot tends to appear around the soffits ---something to check when you buy one is look for ventilation, most don't have it.

For temporary housing they do fine. In fact, they might be the thing to get you into the "woodsy mood" while you build your log house. You can always give it away when you're done.

-A

Andythompson
10-20-2006, 08:39 PM
I looked into a similar styled very small mobile home when I first started my whole project. I was SHOCKED when they told me the asking price was $42K. I bought a used 36' 5th wheel w/dual slideouts for 13K and I'll be able to use it for traveling when I can finaly move into my home.

Andy T

tony_zizak
10-21-2006, 04:11 AM
Don't give up hope. I bought a 1993 3 bed, 2 bath mobile home for $2500.00 by just looking on a community board for employees at my work. Deals come... sometimes faster than you want... My problem is just finding the capital...

Good Luck

ChainsawGrandpa
10-21-2006, 10:43 AM
Wow! That resembles my guest house! Sorry to tell you this
but mine is getting very expensive. I'm using stick-framed
construction only because I had the materials available at
a very low price. It will have log siding and a green metal
roof. Also wood floors and wood trim. Very nice, but also
very expensive. Looks like about $12,500 for 800+ square
feet. Yes, that's cheap by usual building standards, but pretty
high by the older (dry & warm, not fancy) log home standards.

I could have had it built for about $64,000, and if I had the
time to effecively gather materials it might have cost me
about $7,500. If you give up time, you will give up your dollars.
Preparation is everything.

I remember what Skip told me about the cost of a log home.
"How much does a car cost?"
Well, about $500 to $500,000.
"Exactly".

-Rick

thepizzaguy
11-26-2006, 09:43 PM
I agree. It looks simple, but the hard part according to some many posts I've read that finding the logs at a good price will one of the biggest issues.

You can find a dry mobile home for a hundred bucks if you look around. I'm sure there are a few cheap one on ebay right now that may only require shipping to your site over the cost of the mobile itself.

Just look for someone who wants one moved off their property, and you can get one for cheap.