PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Milton: Florida home with ratchet straps over roof

Ellsworth
10-16-2024, 04:29 AM
Before hurricane Milton hit Florida like a red Stapler, Orlando resident Pedro Casares used standard ratchet straps to secure his home to the ground.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/viral-ratchet-strap-roof-hack-saves-family-s-home-from-hurricane-milton-but-experts-have-doubts/ar-AA1s6G6r?ocid=BingNewsVerp

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/florida-man-who-secured-home-33879310

I spent a couple decades giving students what is essentially the same advice.

But it's not my advice. It's either from the US Army Rigging Manual, or an old log home construction book.
The book was likely from 1960 or earlier.
Here are the details, as I remember them.

Install log deadman anchors on either side of the home.
The book's illustration showed them as posts, sunk in the ground, angled away from the home. I do not recall the recommended depth and there may have been additional elements.

Wire rope (or cable, I do not recall which) was used to go over the home.
The wind during a hurricane would be blowing all sorts of sharp edged objects around.
The strapping that Mr Casares used would very likely be sliced within just a few minutes of high wind.

Place tires at the peak of your roof and run the cables over them.
There may have been additional tires along the length of the cables, I do not specifically recall.
Turnbuckles to tighten.

I do not recall the spacing, but there seemed to be more than the number of straps used by Mr Casares.

That's the main gist of the technique.

I'd be tempted to add a few things.
For instance, some rows of 2x12's running crosswise over roof and under the wire cables (and under any additional tires)
At right angle to the cables, so the 2x12's are at right angle to the rafters.

Edited to add:
Adding a twist to the straps will reduce flapping.
Reduced flapping reduces the potential for abrasion at the end that rests on the roof/gutter.
I am not certain the effect of a twist on strength, but it is common practice within the trucking industry.

Everything in the post above is YMMV and YOMV, just an old technique and ideas / modern techniques.
It could use some additional polishing and testing.