PDA

View Full Version : How to heat?

pooch
09-21-2006, 05:53 AM
Since I live in South Florida the topic of heating a house has never come up. Right now I have electric strip heat which means that if I turn it on a couple of times a year my house smells like a big toaster. I'll be in middle Tennessee so I'm wondering should I go for a heat pump or propane for the primary heat source. I'm going to install an efficient fireplace to supplement on really cold nights.

rreidnauer
09-21-2006, 09:35 AM
I'm sure you'll get many folks here that will recommend a heat pump, though, I'm not one of them. I use to install them, know how they perform, and don't care for them. They're great for Florida and other mild Southern states, but don't cut it for extended periods of cold. Personally, I like 90+ gas furnaces. And I like hot water systems. Radiant heating using Pex tubing is popular here.

As you read the forums, you'll find I'm partial to renewable energy, though I understand such systems aren't for everyone. I intend on solar hot water, with electric assist heating from the wind generator's excess power, and wood heat as the final backup.

If you're dead set on a heat pump or propane furnace/boiler, I recommend the propane system. (as much as it kills me to support foreign oil)

mbailey
09-21-2006, 08:37 PM
Greetings pooch,

Have you thought about a masonry heater? My wife and I hope to build just north of Knoxville in a year or so and we hope to install a masonry heater. They are a bit pricey but not much more than a nice fireplace and are about 90% effecient. You want get as cold as Rod gets in PA but certainly a lot colder than Florida.

Take care and God Bless,

Mark