PDA

View Full Version : LHBA design vs Kit Design

knotflyn
10-31-2021, 10:38 AM
Hello,

Wife & I recently purchased land in western NC. Looking to build a log cabin, shocker.....lol...

Heres the rub. We like the methods taught from the introduction video and feel they have quite a bit of creditable information. However, we are not a big fan of the round logs and are considering a more contemporary/traditional blend to our home. We do not have floor plans and we have not yet decided to act as our our GC. Both of us have experience in building a traditional home but only in south Florida where homes are build out of block and not on slopes, etc. Questions are;

1. If I purchase the course, is there enough information within to help with our build should we choose a route that does not conform to the LHBA blueprint?

2. Can anyone offer alternatives to the kit builds that would give us a bit more flexibility in design as compared to the LHBA round log approach but still offer quality?

Thanks for the feedback,

Jeff & Kelly

Shark
10-31-2021, 11:29 AM
The course teaches a lot about good building principals in general, large over hangs etc. I haven't seen a student home that was milled flat though just fyi.
Could it be done? Probably. Moisture is your enemy especially when cutting large sections of the log off.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

knotflyn
10-31-2021, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the reply. What about interior design flexibility? Assuming you want a portion of the home to have the aesthetics of a log but in other areas of the home, ( bedrooms ) you want a more traditional option such as sheetrock so you can paint and have a bit of transition throughout the home. Does the LHBA offer multiple floorpans or are you working with limited options?

Shark
10-31-2021, 01:11 PM
One of the great things is that the interior frame walls are not load bearing.

The stock plans that they offer have multiple floorplan options.
Some members, myself included, started with the stock plans then modified the interior walls to work for us.

All the framed walls can be drywalled/painted to brighten things up, stone, tile, whatever you can imagine. Some like more wood, board and batten, cedar etc, we did drywall including the ceiling inside (only wood being the log walls and second floor beams).

loghousenut
10-31-2021, 01:52 PM
But, all in all, I keep going back to the part about you two NOT being round log fanatics. If that means that you prefer not having round log walls on all 4 exterior sides, I think the only value of the LHBA course would be if you wanted someone to change your mind.

PS... I am in favor of you changing your mind.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mosseyme
10-31-2021, 01:53 PM
Where in WNC, we are building out of Murphy if you want a peek.

loghousenut
10-31-2021, 03:51 PM
Where in WNC, we are building out of Murphy if you want a peek.Knotflyn... Whatever you do, do NOT visit Mosseyme's place unless you want to talk each other into building with round logs. I've been there and it is a showcase of why a person would want to take the LHBA class.

Steve
10-31-2021, 03:57 PM
we are not a big fan of the round logs

[snip]

1. If I purchase the course, is there enough information within to help with our build should we choose a route that does not conform to the LHBA blueprint?

Hi Jeff & Kelly, thanks for stopping by!

There is a lot of flexibility in the butt and pass method of building a log home, but it really doesn't extend to logs that have been shaped or cut into lumber. So if you are certain that your house won't have whole, naturally-shaped logs, this probably isn't the method for you. The LHBA class might help you with some tips and tricks you wouldn't have thought of, and maybe some money saving tips.... but it probably won't be worth it if you are looking for different construction methods.

You are still welcome here on the forum. Maybe the folks here can help you choose the right style to match your goals?

donjuedo
10-31-2021, 05:02 PM
I'll second what LogHouseNut said about MosseyMe's home -- I haven't been there but I've seen photos, and it really is a showcase home. Even if you don't go with round logs, I'd think the details would be worth a visit.

loghousenut
10-31-2021, 08:17 PM
And when you've done the tour at their place, we are just down the road in sunny southern Oregon. Stop in sometime.

Mosseyme
10-31-2021, 10:31 PM
Thanks guys, I love our place, will even more when it is complete. But don't oversell us, might disappoint.

TrailRdr
11-01-2021, 12:26 PM
Thanks guys, I love our place, will even more when it is complete. But don't oversell us, might disappoint.

No one is "Overselling" you. It is BEAUTIFUL!!:)

rreidnauer
11-01-2021, 02:04 PM
I have taken the class, but will not be building a log home of any sort now. However, many of the elements from the class will be transferred over into my newly chosen building style. In fact, the only thing that really has changed, is I'll be substituting something else for wall logs. I still consider the class worth it, despite my decision to go a different route.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

loghousenut
11-01-2021, 03:40 PM
I have taken the class, but will not be building a log home of any sort now. However, many of the elements from the class will be transferred over into my newly chosen building style. In fact, the only thing that really has changed, is I'll be substituting something else for wall logs. I still consider the class worth it, despite my decision to go a different route.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using TapatalkDon't undersell your extensive travels here LHBAville, Rod. Show them some photos of that GORGEOUS LHBA log home model.

allen84
11-01-2021, 06:51 PM

Here is Rod. He's not built his own log home yet... But he's shared enough of his knowledge on the members side to cover the cost of admission. There is no shortage of information and help on the members side of this site. The online class is great and I love the weekly zoom meetings. I'd jump on a plane for another LHBA weekend in Vegas tomorrow.

mudflap
11-02-2021, 04:25 AM
My wife didn't like "round logs" at first either - here in the south, everyone thinks a log cabin has flat edges. My FIL was confused when we started stacking logs - "when are you going to shave them flat?" lol. My wife doesn't like the idea of not having a flat area to hang pictures. But there are plenty of framed in walls for that. OTOH, the mass of the logs is something that is growing on her - big fat logs protecting us from the outside world. They are also awesome for acoustics- I'm a musician, so I can appreciate that. I just finished the exterior chinking, and I'm working on permanently installing my windows and the one thing that keeps shocking me is how quiet it is inside. I cannot hear anything from outside anymore - it just gets absorbed by the logs.

Wood has an R value of about 1.5 per inch, so an 8" log (what most kit logs are going to be) is only going to give you an R-value of 12, and most cities/counties require at least R15 for walls - so the kit guys add a lot of grooves and foam to get you up to that value. I've even heard of people framing the inside log walls with 2x4's and insulating behind them just to get up to the R15 requirement. At that point, what's the point of having a log home?

Anyway, here's my attempt to convince you that round logs are awesome:

https://i.postimg.cc/ZKbVW4FL/20210220-113038-Richtone-HDR.jpg

our future kitchen and our homemade doors.

panderson03
11-03-2021, 07:15 AM
Thanks for the reply. What about interior design flexibility? Assuming you want a portion of the home to have the aesthetics of a log but in other areas of the home, ( bedrooms ) you want a more traditional option such as sheetrock so you can paint and have a bit of transition throughout the home. Does the LHBA offer multiple floorplans or are you working with limited options?

we have a member named MrJack who i believe will be milling flat the interior part of the log and keeping other sides round

Mosseyme
11-03-2021, 09:04 AM
One thing about the flat milling logs is you have to have a spicific size of log for all logs, with our method you can mix a lot of different sizes and you don't loose all that thermal value. .
We originally were planning to do 3 flat sides and the outside round. I'm very thankful to have found LHBA just before we started milling. Helped us to not make a lot of mistakes.

BigD
11-04-2021, 08:29 PM
Then there are us that are completely and utterly addicted to round logs. We look at the pic that Mudflap posted and we can't stop drooling!!!!!

Mosseyme
11-04-2021, 09:54 PM
The job Brian is doing is absolutely amazing, especially knowing he has done it all nearly by himself. He will beat us even with all the help and machinery we have had. Can't wait to see the finished product.
The ambiance in our log home just makes me want to just sink into it and bath in the glow. We have a string of 1 watt lights up temporarily and I can't really describe the feeling it gives and we are still under construction. Can't wait till it all comes together.
We were not planning the three flat side because we didn't like round but because we didn't know how to do round before LHBA.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/weWCuaigVxfFPGAR8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/EfjKyBpfMSFR8MJj9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/E7wqeT4jGJ2XSCs18

mudflap
11-05-2021, 05:22 AM
wow, those are great pics! swinging porch furniture inside the home - love it.

nearly all by himself .... and my wife. I had this complicated spreadsheet with all my logs numbered on it, their taper, butt tip and mid diameter, and a complicated formula I came up with to tell me where to stack each particular log (it's on my blog as a download) - and my wife came in there with her seamstress measuring tape and - well - I ended up just throwing away the spreadsheet, lol. She wasn't even measuring diameters - she was measuring circumferences....! gah! As you can see, it all worked out nicely.

to the OP - notice none of us are professional builders, and the LHBA method still got us amazing results.

Mosseyme
11-05-2021, 07:35 AM
About the swings, where else could you get away with these and have them look like they belong. The paws in the picture are reason enough for the swings. A stick vacuum and 5 min and you can make quick work of the
hair-r-r-r-r. About five times a day, no legs makes it much easier.

rreidnauer
11-06-2021, 08:18 AM
I REALLY like the New England style, square-hewn, dovetailed, and chinked log homes, but if you think the LHBA method is labor intensive, well let me tell you!

rckclmbr428
11-06-2021, 06:28 PM
wow, those are great pics! swinging porch furniture inside the home - love it.

.... and my wife. I had this complicated spreadsheet with all my logs numbered on it, their taper, butt tip and mid diameter, and a complicated formula I came up with to tell me where to stack each particular log (it's on my blog as a download) - and my wife came in there with her seamstress measuring tape and - well - I ended up just throwing away the spreadsheet, lol. She wasn't even measuring diameters - she was measuring circumferences....! gah! As you can see, it all worked out nicely.

to the OP - notice none of us are professional builders, and the LHBA method still got us amazing results.

Well, one of us is a professional builder...

mudflap
11-06-2021, 06:51 PM

oops.

well, you hadn't posted recently, so I was just talking about those who had replied.

allen84
11-06-2021, 07:03 PM

I had no idea you were mudflap's spouse.

rckclmbr428
11-07-2021, 02:52 PM
I had no idea you were mudflap's spouse.

There's a lot of things about me and mudflap you don't know about

Shark
11-07-2021, 04:08 PM
You guys are going to scare away the new folks lol