PDA

View Full Version : For those who have already been to the class

etd66ss
12-19-2017, 02:41 AM
What do I need to bring to class other than myself? I understand I'll be getting a workbook, but do I need to bring stuff for note taking?

Anything else that might be of use?

rreidnauer
12-19-2017, 03:24 AM
Pretty much, just a pen.

Won't matter much at this point, but probably the most important thing for getting the most out of the class, is not WHAT you bring with you, but WHEN you arrive and depart.

Arriving a day or more before the day of the class lets you unwind and recover from the hell that is America's modern transportation system, for what is going to be a pretty intense two days of data bombardment. On the same note, leaving a day or two after the last day of class allows you to focus fully on the class, instead of worrying about if you'll make it to your flight on time. I was amazed at how many people left half way through the second day of my class, to catch flights. You can be sure the first half of that day was spent worrying about when they should leave, instead of focusing on the material they were being presented, so basically, they lost half of the class's valuable information. Who knows when they arrived, maybe they lost the first half as well!!

Sent from my SM-G928G using Tapatalk

etd66ss
12-19-2017, 04:41 AM
Yeah, well I am bringing my GF, not to the class but to Vegas. We arrive 4 days before the first day of class and leave the Monday after class. She loves Vegas has been there many times and will keep herself busy while I'm in class. Due to the cost of flights and hotels, we really are not spending that much more on the extra days, except for food I guess.

That brings up another question, I don't want to be spending a ton of money on food while I am there, suggestions? What happens during class? Am I supposed to go find food during a lunch break or something?

SteveW
12-19-2017, 06:03 AM
From the confirmation email I received, "Attendees are on their own for lunch, but there are many good restaurants inside the hotel and within easy walking distance".

Hope this helps, and looking forward to seeing you there.

-Steve

etd66ss
12-19-2017, 06:23 AM
From the confirmation email I received, "Attendees are on their own for lunch, but there are many good restaurants inside the hotel and within easy walking distance".

-Steve

Ah, I guess I read over the email too quickly, thanks.

I'll have my GF bring me lunch :)

loghousenut
12-19-2017, 06:49 AM
This is not meant to be insultive, but if the Lady is permanent, She oughta be in class with you. She can't properly drink the koolaid from the comfort of the hotel suite.

In my learned opinion, her missing the class could be the most expensive part of Vegas.

mudflap
12-19-2017, 06:55 AM
I wrote all my notes in the workbook they handed out. that thing is my bible. (no offense meant to the real Bible).

I took copious notes. Lotsa notes. notes, notes, notes. My hand got tired. I drew pictures and labeled them. I brought several pens and pencils. I didn't ask many questions- Steve said it would all be explained, and it was. Some people forgot that he said that, and asked questions at points where they weren't relevant. He was nice, but firm. We really did get through all of the workbook, and all of our questions were answered.

I mostly just ate at the hotel restaurant. Hate doing that, but it's only for 2 days.

The irony of attending a class on how to become financially independent (which is really what they are teaching- log homes are just one step in that process) in a city that teaches you to become a slave to all kinds of vices was not lost on me. :)

rreidnauer
12-19-2017, 07:53 AM

-SteveDoes this mean that Skip's world renowned cookies are no longer part of a class experience!?!?!?

That is a real crying shame! :-(

etd66ss
12-19-2017, 08:03 AM
So I guess the question is, why do some ppl take so many notes? Is not all the information in the workbook?

allen84
12-19-2017, 08:27 AM
So I guess the question is, why do some ppl take so many notes? Is not all the information in the workbook?

Everything you need to know is in the book and even more on the member side of the forum. Some peoples brains work different and they need notes. Nothing wrong with that, wish I had it in me... If I try to take a bunch of notes I tend to miss what's being said/shown. But I did mark what I felt was important points in the book.

rreidnauer
12-19-2017, 08:28 AM
I guess it's just the person. If something is said that isn't directly in print, some folks write it down. Sometimes the verbal explanations are clearer than what is in the book, or it is better explained if you question something in the book. I personally tend to write less notes, and retain what I heard. Of course, maybe I have forgotten a lot, but I wouldn't know for sure! ;-)

loghousenut
12-20-2017, 01:08 PM
I have no idea where my notes are from any of the times I took the class in the 1980's. I remember a lot of writing and I remember a lot of what I was supposed to remember. I remember Skip but not his cookies.

Take notes and don't worry about food.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

Arrowman
12-21-2017, 09:30 AM
The book isn't extremely thorough in a lot of areas. It has good pictures, but you have to fill in the gaps in the book with the verbal instructions from the instructors. Hence the need to take a lot of notes. And this is from someone that probably didn't fill a small notebook worth of notes in five years of undergrad.

rocklock
12-21-2017, 03:01 PM
I don't know what they have in Vagus but I wanted to take several pictures. I think cameras were not allowed but that was before I had a cell phone...

Steve
12-21-2017, 05:37 PM
Does this mean that Skip's world renowned cookies are no longer part of a class experience!?!?!?

That is a real crying shame! :-(

We still have the recipe, but unfortunately the hotels don't allow us to bring in outside food for the class. :(

This past September we updated the class to include new high definition video, building code changes, etc., and that update included a 100% new workbook. In my own opinion the new book is more detailed and requires less writing than the previous one. We had a couple of existing LHBA members in that class, so maybe they can pop in with a review and comparison to the previous class and book.

mudflap
12-21-2017, 06:47 PM
We still have the recipe, but unfortunately the hotels don't allow us to bring in outside food for the class. :(

This past September we updated the class to include new high definition video, building code changes, etc., and that update included a 100% new workbook. In my own opinion the new book is more detailed and requires less writing than the previous one. We had a couple of existing LHBA members in that class, so maybe they can pop in with a review and comparison to the previous class and book.
So....how much for the new book?

blog: https://loghomejourney.wordpress.com/

Steve
12-21-2017, 07:23 PM
So....how much for the new book?

Existing members can always pick up the latest book in our online members store, but I'm not sure about stock levels.... I would recommend calling our office number to see what's up before ordering.

loghousenut
12-21-2017, 10:09 PM

I have it on good authority (Ellsworth) that taking the class a second time is a breach of LHBA protocol or something like that.

allen84
12-24-2017, 09:49 AM
I have it on good authority (Ellsworth) that taking the class a second time is a breach of LHBA protocol or something like that.

I heard it was an option... Because some folks gotta do everything at least twice. Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

John17three
12-24-2017, 05:58 PM
I heard it was an option... Because some folks gotta do everything at least twice. Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

Hahaha! The inside joke to this comment (for the uncommitted reader) is that loghousenut (aka, LHN) took his roof off and done it over. You can read up on it after u pay the fee and visit Vegas. Even if u never build a log house, the banter and friendly chiding on the member side is worth the class cost and flight fee.

allen84
12-24-2017, 08:15 PM
Really tho, all jokes aside, and I could be wrong but I think, as a member, I believe you are welcome to come sit in on any future class. I can poke a little, I think I've settled on a 5th location for a shotgun shack, I think John17three is on his second or third load of logs, and I believe LHN has attended class twice and done his roof twice. Lesson: Anything worth doing once is worth doing at least twice. Somehow I wound up with 4 kids so take all that with a grain of salt (I wouldn't take one back). I've heard people don't usually regret what they've done, but rather, what they didn't do. I've found this to be true.

loghousenut
12-24-2017, 10:41 PM
Lesson: Anything worth doing once is worth doing at least twice. Somehow I wound up with 4 kids so take all that with a grain of salt (I wouldn't take one back). I've heard people don't usually regret what they've done, but rather, what they didn't do. I've found this to be true.

The proper quote is "Anything worth doing right, is worth doing twice".

Or 4 times in your case, Allen.

John17three
12-26-2017, 09:06 AM
I can poke a little, I think I've settled on a 5th location for a shotgun shack, I think John17three is on his second or third load of logs

Just a second attempt, which by quality was a much better (and successful) attempt. If we count the landowner that after charging a premium by the board foot (I was without other leads) decided to ask for $25/hr for hauling subsequent loads out of the woods, my 2nd and 3rd load of logs from a shaving mill would count as 3rd attempt. But at this point, who’s counting.

Like said above, u only regret what u don’t do, which is also why I have a stem wall for the garage waiting for logs too.

Kirby
02-13-2018, 03:14 PM
I see you live in Oregon. Could you quickly run through how I go about talking with the forestry department to obtain trees? I plan on building in Oregon.

etd66ss
02-19-2018, 06:11 AM
Finished class yesterday, I ended up taking about 10 pages of notes FYI.

Sent in my request for the members forums, so just waiting for that to go through.

The class wan't as in-depth and technical as I guess I was hoping (I'm a very OCD mechanical engineer...), and the manual is pretty basic, however I do understand you can only go over so much material in a class full of very green "builders".

I suspect and hope the members forums will have a much larger and deeper technical knowledge base to pull from.

Still deciding if I will actually build a B&P, so still have a lot more research to do.

loghousenut
02-19-2018, 07:33 AM
Well, it is about time!

Glad to have you aboard. You will love being a part of the other side.

etd66ss
02-19-2018, 07:40 AM
Well, it is about time!

Glad to have you aboard. You will love being a part of the other side.

Thanks, should be fun no matter what I decide to do.

Saw you in a video in class, not sure Hawian shirts are OSHA approved jobsite attire? Maybe put a LHBA patch on that shirt and it would be ok...

pinecone pam
08-07-2018, 09:15 PM
What's everybody complaining about? When I took the class, there was no workbook......and we got to hike that damn hill......

Little Eagle
08-08-2018, 04:28 AM
It is fun being a part of the members side just don't do like me and get so caught up by other stuff you don't say hello to LHN for long stretch's on here!

rreidnauer
08-08-2018, 03:49 PM
I consider myself dang lucky that I got to hike that hill. DANG lucky!!!

loghousenut
08-08-2018, 07:59 PM
I only had to hike the hill the third time I took the class. I consider myself lucky to have taken the class the first two times.