PDA

View Full Version : I signed us up!!!

akemt
06-20-2006, 03:18 PM
My husband and I just signed up for the September class. I'm SOOOOO excited! Not only will it be a log-home bonanza, but it will also be our first kid-less vacation since we got married. 8)

We had been talking about taking the class after we sell our current stick-built home, but by then it is time to be building, not planning. Our addition work is coming along nicely (built our addition mostly ourselves to gain equity) and we're hoping to put it up for sale in a few months' time. When it sells, we'll be ready to start building anew! We even have some land picked out right next door, if it works out.

Now on to reserving a B&B, car, and flights, etc...

Anyone else registered for the Labor-day weekend class?

hawkiye
06-20-2006, 04:44 PM
Congrats! I think you'll realize soon that it will be one of the best things you have ever done.. I have to warn you when you get home you'll be fired up to get going on your log home. ;)

Blayne

dbtoo
06-21-2006, 05:27 AM
My husband and I just signed up for the September class. I'm SOOOOO excited! Not only will it be a log-home bonanza, but it will also be our first kid-less vacation since we got married. 8)

Stay at the Gaylord house. Reserve early and ask for the bedroom with the jacooozi.

akemt
06-22-2006, 09:42 AM
Actually, I did just yesterday! I emailed to see what rooms were available and we'll be in the Mediterranean Sunrise room. I had figured that if we were having a kidless vacation, we'd do it in style! And we've even signed up for our sack lunches. Its quite nice that they give LHBA members a discount. Kay's responses have already been warm and friendly; I haven't even stayed there yet and I would recommend it to others!

Woohoo! Talk about exciting!

dbtoo
06-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Ask her if she can make the baked canadian bacon and cheese french toast with walnuts on top and hot syrup. ..... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

jscrews
06-22-2006, 10:02 AM
Hi Catherine,

My wife and I just signed up today for the Sept class. Looking forward to the class.

Jeff

dbtoo
06-22-2006, 10:08 AM
Woohoo! Talk about exciting!

Here's something to get you even further enticed...

http://www.washingtonwatchdog.org/documents/cfr/title36/part13.html#13.49

Assuming you are actually IN (a rural resident) alaska.

Steve
06-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Actually, I did just yesterday! I emailed to see what rooms were available and we'll be in the Mediterranean Sunrise room. I had figured that if we were having a kidless vacation, we'd do it in style! And we've even signed up for our sack lunches. Its quite nice that they give LHBA members a discount. Kay's responses have already been warm and friendly; I haven't even stayed there yet and I would recommend it to others!

Hi Catherine,

We didn't even know they offered our members a discount until you mentioned it. I called up Kay to confirm, and we have now added that information to our travel page (http://www.loghomebuilders.org/best_travel_deals_to_log_home_class.htm). Thanks! :)

-Steve

dbtoo
06-22-2006, 11:05 AM
We didn't even know they offered our members a discount until you mentioned it. I called up Kay to confirm

They didn't before, Kay is a new owner (since late last year, I think). I guess we send them enough referal business.

akemt
06-22-2006, 03:51 PM
Jeff,
I'm glad to hear it! I look forward to meeting you and your wife in September!

Steve,
With the discount for members, we were able to get one of Gaylord's top-end rooms at the same price of a room at the Best Western...hard decision there!

And dbtoo,
I'm not in any of the areas specifically mentioned, but I am in Alaska and surrounded by the Tongass National Forest. We can get something like 20,000 board feet (translation to English, anyone?) per person per year...and that includes my 1 and 3 year old! [;)] I haven't really looked into how to go about that yet since we've been working on our stick-built addition of late, but we have friends that make use of it for firewood, etc.

September can't come soon enough!

akemt
06-22-2006, 04:10 PM
Oh, and this'll make you green: Not only do we get free logs each year, but there are NO building codes here, no inspections, and no inspectors! Okay, so really we do have to have the house built to code if someone wanting a bank loan should buy it, but other than whether it falls between the lot setbacks, where the sewer system is and how tall the thing is (and a $75 permit), the borough could care less here!

Mark OBrien
06-23-2006, 08:05 PM
akemt, 20,000 board feet of lumber is equivalent to 20,000 lineal feet of 2x6's. For each lineal foot of a 2x6 you have 1 board foot. Also, a 1x12 board is one board foot per lineal foot. Where in Alaska do you live? I was born in Fairbanks and belong to Doyon, Ltd. As you can see, I'm a long way from home! You will thoroughly enjoy the class!

PugMeister
06-26-2006, 06:28 AM
Hi,everyone. I also signed up for the Sept. class. I am looking forward to seeing everyone there. Jim

akemt
06-27-2006, 08:51 AM
We're in Ketchikan...quite some ways from Fairbanks, but my sister lives there. CRAZY temperature range up there; I couldn't handle it!

And great to hear it Jim! I look forward to meeting everyone there!