PDA

View Full Version : Anyone building one in PA?

mountainspringcabin
03-17-2016, 10:47 PM
My Hubby and I are hoping to start building a butt and pass method log cabin this summer. Unfortunately he is on dialysis and his medical team said no to going to Vegas (they are concerned about respiratory failure and him ending up in ICU). Hubby wanted to go anyway, but it just isn't worth the risk of his life (he does dialysis 6 days a week and there is just no way to take a 2 day class and do dialysis).

We would love to find someone in PA building this way that we can come out and help for a day.

mountainspringcabin
03-17-2016, 11:35 PM
I was just reading the rules and realized I can't be posting this question.... I'm so sorry.... I'm trying to figure out how to delete it or edit it, but can't figure it out. I didn't mean to violate the rules.

rreidnauer
03-18-2016, 03:28 AM
If you have the financial ability, I'd suggest hiring Wiley Log Homes to build your butt and pass home. While building one isn't rocket science, it is REALLY labor intensive. I'd hate to think what harm may be brought to your husband from attempting such a demanding task.

donjuedo
03-18-2016, 03:31 AM
I'm sure the admin will kindly accept your apology, and soon, the whole thread will vanish like memories after a visit from the Men In Black.

No harm done.

;-)

mountainspringcabin
03-18-2016, 05:46 AM
If you have the financial ability, I'd suggest hiring Wiley Log Homes to build your butt and pass home. While building one isn't rocket science, it is REALLY labor intensive. I'd hate to think what harm may be brought to your husband from attempting such a demanding task.

I will be doing most of the work :) Sadly we can't afford to hire anyone. We have a small window to attempt this (about 2 years) and then our financial situation will actually be worse, making this impossible, so for this little window we will fight to make it happen. It has been our dream for years and if we don't succeed, we will accept it, but we aren't going down without a fight :)

mountainspringcabin
03-18-2016, 05:51 AM
I'm sure the admin will kindly accept your apology, and soon, the whole thread will vanish like memories after a visit from the Men In Black.

No harm done.

;-)

I was going on only an hour of sleep (my grandson woke me up), so I really should know better than to post something when I'm tired :) Hopefully they do forgive me and I will try to not do any late night, rule breaking posts :)

dazedandconfused
03-19-2016, 10:16 AM
Where is Pa are you from?

mountainspringcabin
03-21-2016, 12:13 PM
Where is Pa are you from?

Right now we are in Lancaster county, but are moving to northern Bedford county in the next few months.

LowKey
03-22-2016, 10:25 AM
I will be doing most of the work :) Sadly we can't afford to hire anyone. We have a small window to attempt this (about 2 years) and then our financial situation will actually be worse, making this impossible, so for this little window we will fight to make it happen. It has been our dream for years and if we don't succeed, we will accept it, but we aren't going down without a fight :)

You can PM me.
I am very much stretched to my limits (I work in the middle east, my build site is in Alaska off the road system, and I'm pushing my wife throug her US immigration process...My plate is just a bit full:D )

You can do this.
If you can, attend the class solo.

Otherwise, go for a smaller cabin. Forget "floor plans". Pick a size, say 30x30 and stick with it. I'm guessing 2 occupants, you and husband? 1 bedroom, kitchen/living room/dining room, and a bathroom? With a LHBA style cabin, none of the interior walls are load bearing...that means you can change your mind about where they go without major headaches.

You can do this.

Russk68
04-12-2016, 01:52 PM
I just joined this forum today and I live in Ephrata, PA (Lancaster). I just moved here a few months ago.

Btw, what rule did you break? I read the Forum Rules and I don't see what you are referring to.

Russ

donjuedo
04-12-2016, 04:20 PM
I just joined this forum today and I live in Ephrata, PA (Lancaster). I just moved here a few months ago.

Btw, what rule did you break? I read the Forum Rules and I don't see what you are referring to.

Russ

That was just about a non-member helping a member. I think the idea behind the rule is, someone would be learning much of what's taught in class without attending class. Members do help members, and often, too.