PDA

View Full Version : If You are on the Fence...

loghousenut
02-04-2016, 01:24 AM
I just had one of the most enjoyable days of my life. Here I am, near 62 years old, with a Wife about the same. I have been playing with log house stuff all my life but am, only now, finally building the log home that I will die in. This thing has been a blast! My Son, who is just now only 25, got to grow up falling, peeling, and stacking logs. He learned about manhood while walking the ridgepole that his superhuman Father could not.

The place is coming together slowly, and right on schedule. The place is weathertight and we are working on all 5 exterior doors at the same time. The final move in date, landscaped and all, is set for December 20, 2017... Yeah, we are building slow. That is not a problem.

Yesterday, (OK it is after midnight so I really mean TUESDAY), was the most productive day of my life. The Boss and I had an accidental day off together and we are at that point in the build where we are being kinda artistic (and going slow). We have built 5 of the coolest exterior doors this side of Trump Plaza, and we are at that stage of screwing on a set of hinges. The Nut family is not about to go down to the HD and buy a set of galvanized gate hinges and drywall screw them into a 2x12 door jamb... No sir, we are working with a bunch of hand milled lumber that deserves some massive blacksmithed hinges that will most likely be ugly but functional.

So back to yesterday (meaning Tuesday), we took a trip to the Dr. early in the morning (wart in my mouth), and came home to a quick breakfast and off to work on the Log house. We are lucky enough to be building within a rockthrow distance of the ugly trailer where we live, so off to work on the house means a short walk through the mud (or dust, depending n the season). We get to working on the doors, and I had us set us up for success by having a bunch of stuff all ready to go. Fifteen minutes later we are done with 2 hours worth of labor and it is time to go on to some other productive project. This is where it is easy to get derailed and spend the afternoon driving to the coast for a day of enjoyment. I fooled her. I fired up the forge and we got to work blacksmithing some hinges for the prettiest LHBA doors you can imagine (all other members excepted).

I am a hobby blacksmith, so every project has to be learned as I go. Most cultured Gals (like the Boss), don't spend much time around the forge, but somehow she seemed to be in the mood to ask instead of order. I bent a bunch of iron that wouldn't make a hinge and she was the one who told me what the problem was. She helped me rebend it, and I rebent it again, and she guided me to a third rebend. Sooner or later we had a hinge on one door that could conceivably work.... We made another hinge for the same door.

Funny thing. You eat a quick breakfast and go to work on a project that matters. She needs to take a pee break around 1:00pm and you both decide NOT to break for lunch. Sundown comes early but you are in the log house so you keep working. Sometime, way after dark, one of you finally says it is time to hit the hot tub and get a bite before midnight hits hard.

Yes, I just had one of the most enjoyable days of my life. The Boss and I made a hinge (actually two). I coulda done it without her but it would have taken ten days. Something about working together on a project makes it all work right and worth doing... Sometimes.

I suppose none of this matters to the rest of you. I thought I'd say a word or two about how enjoyable it can be to work with someone you love. It won't always be that way... You'll squabble and fight sometimes. Schedules won't coincide. She'll be a pain and you'll be a horses butt. Divorce will be an option. But once in awhile, the stars will align and it will work for some of you.

If you want to build your own log home with your own hands, this method can show you how to make it happen. If you want to do it without a mortgage, you can do it... We have.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1030319_zpsvral3git.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/P1030319_zpsvral3git.jpg.html)

Here is an old picture of an old Lady with an hand made door.

oldtrapper
02-04-2016, 07:20 AM
Now that is a serious door (double spline joints). Where's the hinges?

Don't argue with that lady today. ;-{>8

John W
02-04-2016, 07:33 AM
NObody is coming through that door uninvited! Door to door salesmen, tanks, etc.

loghousenut
02-04-2016, 08:17 AM
PS... The door we were making the hinge for is 1/2 the thickness of the door in the photo and has a large window in it. No photos til we can prove that the hinges will work.

Glewash
02-04-2016, 08:28 AM
No mortgage.. sure. Do it yourself..sure A 4 x 4 front door?! Now that's inspiring! I'm in!

Funny thing is, to we current cubicle dwellers, a 1/2 thickness door with custom smithy hinges are too. Look forward to those pics.

I'll be tempted to do the same when I get my place going in the years to come (and a strange nerdy urge to figure out how to use an old fashioned dungeon key while simultaneously being modern secure) I find modern doors from the big box places sad and 'cheap'...while sadly not being cheap in cost.

Plumb Level
02-04-2016, 10:24 AM
I'm thinking that door might be closer to 6 x 6s.

While your at it, make another one for me.....I'm real close by.

rreidnauer
02-04-2016, 11:54 AM
I'm so looking forward to building doors. The front door is going to be something alright, with custom made hinges utilizing taper wheel bearings to carry the weight. But the crown jewel of doors will be my basement door. I have VERY special plans for it! :-D

2Determined2Quit
02-04-2016, 01:13 PM
The love you two have for each other, and the passion to pursue your dreams together and build you own log home is VERY inspiring to us. Thanks for sharing your day with us.

You wouldn't believe how much I am looking forward to slowing life down, and spending every day with my amazing husband. I know things may get rough during construction, but we've done enough projects together to come through it unscathed. As long as he does things my way....life will be grand :)

eagle
02-04-2016, 07:39 PM
That is one h*** of a door, LHn! I like it!

Mosseyme
02-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Who is picking that sucker up to hang it. You might need to put sunken castors in the bottom to carry the weight when you open it.

rreidnauer
02-05-2016, 01:17 AM
That would be cool. Mortise an arcing iron track flush with the floor surface.

loghousenut
02-05-2016, 03:41 AM
This post was not about that door. It was about that Woman and how well we worked together that day.

If you must know, that door was inspired by Jim and Pam Bingham's front door up in Snohomish, Washington. Mine weighs 380 lbs and I suspect that theirs weighs more as it is made of good, sound Doug Fir and mine is made of punky Ponderosa Pine.

The door that this post prompted is much thinner and lighter and has a window in it.

allen84
02-05-2016, 05:40 AM
That would be cool. Mortise an arcing iron track flush with the floor surface.

Yes, but it also sounds like a bloody stubbed toe waiting to happen.

rckclmbr428
02-05-2016, 07:00 AM
My current front door is 4x6 t&g "bridge decking" that i scored for $2 a board. its 4' wide and 7' tall and heavy.... The front door I will be making for my next home will be made from 6x12 kit logs. I have a contact where I can get the boards for basically free. It will be 4-5' wide and 8' tall. Why? because I can. Also plan on using a lot of old ground driven farm implement gears arranged on the back of it so that when I crank a hand it will turn 10-12 gears that will in turn drive out metal bars into the door frame. Will also have it set up so that I can unlock from the outside. I think I'm more excited about building the front door for my next house then most anything.

rreidnauer
02-05-2016, 08:19 AM
HA HA HA! Kit home wall logs for a door! That sounds like a real slap in the face. I'm sure it will be a bragging point.

Your locking mechanics sound similar to what I have in mind. I just haven't ironed out exactly how I want to do it yet.

MPeterson1020
02-05-2016, 08:38 AM
Yes, I just had one of the most enjoyable days of my life. The Boss and I made a hinge (actually two). I coulda done it without her but it would have taken ten days. Something about working together on a project makes it all work right and worth doing... Sometimes.

I suppose none of this matters to the rest of you. I thought I'd say a word or two about how enjoyable it can be to work with someone you love. It won't always be that way... You'll squabble and fight sometimes. Schedules won't coincide. She'll be a pain and you'll be a horses butt. Divorce will be an option. But once in awhile, the stars will align and it will work for some of you.

I just LOVE this post. :) You are right.. it is so nice when two people can work together on a project. It seems to go so much better. Thanks LHN!! although now I'm wondering if we should get a hot tub BEFORE we start the build.... :)

Chuck G
02-05-2016, 09:21 AM
Starting to think we should have a front door thread as I'm also planning on doing something 'unique' and one of a kind. Hopefully taxes won't kill us and I can finish purchasing the rest of the items for that CNC plasma table this year.

And LHN, My wife and I are hoping to enjoy our time 'building' together as much as you and yours have.:)

Glewash
02-05-2016, 09:22 AM
This post was not about that door. It was about that Woman and how well we worked together that day.

As part of the thread hijackers I'd volunteer the sentiment of this thread wasn't lost on me. A lot of us probably have several layers of envy at this point (living this style right now AND not just an accepting but participating spouse in particular)

Personally, as a single guy still, I think such a match is wildly rare and a figment of imagination for many.. Must be where that dungeon key idea came from!

allen84
02-05-2016, 10:18 AM
As part of the thread hijackers I'd volunteer the sentiment of this thread wasn't lost on me. A lot of us probably have several layers of envy at this point (living this style right now AND not just an accepting but participating spouse in particular)

Personally, as a single guy still, I think such a match is wildly rare and a figment of imagination for many.. Must be where that dungeon key idea came from!

I think you hit the nail on the head with every statement there. Like Indiana Jones and the Holy Grail, choose wisely.

rreidnauer
02-05-2016, 10:42 AM

If you must know, that door was inspired by Jim and Pam Bingham's front door up in Snohomish, Washington. Mine weighs 380 lbs and I suspect that theirs weighs more as it is made of good, sound Doug Fir and mine is made of punky Ponderosa Pine.

The door that this post prompted is much thinner and lighter and has a window in it.
Leave it to 'Nut to get upset when HIS thread gets hijacked.

Chuck G
02-05-2016, 11:00 AM
Rod, he's not upset, he went NUTS! :D

rocklock
02-05-2016, 11:58 AM
A lot of us probably have several layers of envy at this point (living this style right now AND not just an accepting but participating spouse in particular). Personally, as a single guy still, I think such a match is wildly rare and a figment of imagination for many..

What is the secret of a good life... Finding a good woman... I found mine 50 years ago...
How do you know you have the right woman? We went to premarriage counseling. We answered 50 questions- 48 correctly and the same - 1 wrong but we agreed and we still don't agree on discipline of children.
What is the biggest sexual organ... The brain... I STILL believe this at the age of 72.
Building a house together is tough with out a plan... We made a list of all the things we wanted in our logs home... almost are included...

Single guy, you are looking in the wrong places... Try places you haven't been before...

panderson03
02-05-2016, 12:02 PM
What is the secret of a good life... Finding a good woman... I found mine 50 years ago...

Single guy, you are looking in the wrong places... Try places you haven't been before...
wise words!

Mosseyme
02-05-2016, 05:35 PM
OK Ron,
We did get that story and that sentiment. We were just giving you a minute to compose yourself. I very much enjoyed the fact that you enjoyed the time and interaction. It is not always easy to be "present" in some of the projects that are usually the baby of one partner and that was a very special time. I wish you many more of the same. Now about that door!

Your stories are very meaningful round here and that one is special, thanks for sharing it I hope the boss doesn't mind.

loghousenut
02-05-2016, 06:46 PM
Starting to think we should have a front door thread as I'm also planning on doing something 'unique' and one of a kind.

Here it is...http://community.loghomebuilders.org/showthread.php?12950-Door-Thread&p=123424#post123424

DCEH
02-07-2016, 12:56 AM
My wife is quite possibly the least mechanical inclined woman on earth. I can tell amazing stories on her but won't. But every now and then, more often than I would ever have thought, she will zing me with solutions to problems that are baffling the heck out of me. "Could it work if you did it this way?" You know, that sort of thing. I know now, after 25 years married not to zone her out when I'm flustered about some nagging problem. It's a wonderful feeling for both of us. She'll jump around and holler; "I'm right, I'm right, I'm right" while I plant kisses on her.

Anyway, we built our first house (stick built) back in '95 and may embark on our final venture in a year or so. Logs are a consideration at the moment.

Great forum and fine folks.

Dan in Nevada

loghousenut
02-07-2016, 05:12 AM
My wife is quite possibly the least mechanical inclined woman on earth. I can tell amazing stories on her but won't. But every now and then, more often than I would ever have thought, she will zing me with solutions to problems that are baffling the heck out of me. "Could it work if you did it this way?" You know, that sort of thing. I know now, after 25 years married not to zone her out when I'm flustered about some nagging problem. It's a wonderful feeling for both of us. She'll jump around and holler; "I'm right, I'm right, I'm right" while I plant kisses on her.

Anyway, we built our first house (stick built) back in '95 and may embark on our final venture in a year or so. Logs are a consideration at the moment.

Dan in Nevada

Let her take you to class.

BoFuller
02-07-2016, 07:50 AM

Dan in Nevada

Ditto this. My wife didn't want to go to class, as she hates school. But she was extremely supportive and totally onboard. She has come up with zingers also and has helped some. But just being onsite when she could and preparing meals was a huge help.

rreidnauer
02-07-2016, 08:19 AM
Bo, I think a lot like your wife. I DESPISE even the thought of going to school. If anyone is apprehensive thinking the LHBA class is anything like school, allow me to just say, it is not. (well, now that it isn't held in Skip's home anymore, maybe it feels a little more like school) No tests, no essays, no detention, ;-) just a very well structured, casual arrangement. There is no pressure, as anything you missed can be addressed on the forums.

It was the most enjoyable 24 hours of school I've ever had.

No Regrets
02-07-2016, 08:28 AM
No regrets??

rreidnauer
02-07-2016, 08:41 AM
Indeed. .

loghousenut
02-07-2016, 11:28 AM
No regrets??

No Regrets!!

Mosseyme
02-07-2016, 12:46 PM
What they said!

panderson03
02-08-2016, 06:58 AM
no regrets.
class changed our lives
there's no way we'd ever be able to retire without this knowledge
by the time we retire we'll now have a lovely, strong, well built cabin we own free and clear
sure eases our minds about how we're going to make it in retirement!

MPeterson1020
02-08-2016, 07:05 AM
no regrets.
class changed our lives
there's no way we'd ever be able to retire without this knowledge
by the time we retire we'll now have a lovely, strong, well built cabin we own free and clear
sure eases our minds about how we're going to make it in retirement!

AMEN to that! I have no regrets about attending class at all and I have the same sentiments about retiring.. I feel less stressed knowing that my home will be mine and not the banks. Freedom is a great feeling.

rreidnauer
02-08-2016, 07:17 AM
I'd feel a lot better about retirement if not for the mandatory health insurance and property taxes.

edkemper
02-08-2016, 08:35 AM

I'll bet the farm you are either young or have had trouble finding that special someone. It took me 55 years to find mine. She is/was worth the wait.

Glewash
02-08-2016, 08:40 AM

You are in wise company with that notion: Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. (Einstein originally I think)....

Not easy to do even in a pool of billions! Of course new places probably increase my odds of finding that slightly earthy, slightly nerdy, millionaire woman that thinks all my quirks are 'cute' :cool:

In any case.. back to the building! I'm sure the millionaire wouldn't appreciate being added to my needed tool list! :D

Glewash
02-08-2016, 08:48 AM
I'll bet the farm you are either young or have had trouble finding that special someone. It took me 55 years to find mine. She is/was worth the wait.

Now this thread is REALLY hijacked.. Not sure I'd go all in with the farm but time is relative. I'm a mildly seasoned 43 and yes I tend to lean to 'do it right or not at all' If 'the one' is 55 years in that's OK!

Glewash
02-08-2016, 08:49 AM
Course that sounded like a not at all so far.. which isn't the case. Not right is more like it. Moving on!

MPeterson1020
02-08-2016, 08:57 AM
I'd feel a lot better about retirement if not for the mandatory health insurance and property taxes.

funny that you mention property taxes... I was researching this past week on how to keep my property tax at a minimum with my build. I read that book that was mentioned in another thread and it had some great ideas. Hopefully that health insurance issue will change by the time we get to that point.

dvb
02-08-2016, 01:13 PM
I found a way to keep my property taxes low when I retire. Here in Jackson County Colorado, they forgive 50% of your taxes if you have lived here 10 years or more and are over 65. My taxes are currently $257.35 for my house and 3 acres. I am currently 57 and can't wait for them to go down when I turn 65.

LowKey
02-08-2016, 08:14 PM
funny that you mention property taxes... I was researching this past week on how to keep my property tax at a minimum with my build. I read that book that was mentioned in another thread and it had some great ideas. Hopefully that health insurance issue will change by the time we get to that point.

The issue of property taxes is one of the main reasons I'm doing all I can to prevent my community council (a non-govt org) from voting to seek 2nd class city status....that would give them the power to create property tax, create building codes, ordnances, ect. While that doesn't mean that they would, I see no reason to give them the ability in the first place.

allen84
02-09-2016, 07:00 AM
The issue of property taxes is one of the main reasons I'm doing all I can to prevent my community council (a non-govt org) from voting to seek 2nd class city status....that would give them the power to create property tax, create building codes, ordnances, ect. While that doesn't mean that they would, I see no reason to give them the ability in the first place.

That's a shame, that vote will probably also make what is likely voluntary, a paid position for some or all of them, at everyone else's expense. Contact all the council members if you haven't yet. Give a fluffy opposition speech at their next meeting and end it with "The 1st class citizens of (your town), don't want/need a 2nd class city." Or something of that nature. Gather a crowd of supporters on your side to stand by you. It'll be difficult to oppose if there is a lot of people that would like to see growth, new business and other things added to the community. I don't think gov't should inject itself into free market but unfortunately they seem to feel the need to put their hand in the middle of everything.

My city has made loads of votes and deals over the past 10-15 years that has dramatically changed things around here. Being pretty close to a big city as I am probably also makes that growth inevitable. But it's hard for me to think that what they've done is a good thing. They've force fed the growth. What used to be a 5 minute drive across town is now a 20-30 minute drive. All the building going on here currently is almost hard to believe. I can't even keep up with all the new businesses opening up. Which is fine because a lot of them also go out of business pretty quick. I couldn't begin to count the banks and credit unions. We used to have no starbucks, I think there is 5 now, I don't even like starbucks. The new Krispy Kreme lasted a year or two. New building and all, they closed about a week ago and took down their signs. Jack in the Box closed and has been empty for as long as I can remember (10 years or so) they lasted about as long as Krispy Kreme. Hard to fathom how much money is invested in empty buildings around here. Even lots of new buildings that have NEVER been occupied.

rreidnauer
02-09-2016, 07:43 AM
All in the name of job creation and building the economy in a market that can't hope to carry it. I'm sure if they squeeze the stone a little harder . . . . .