PDA

View Full Version : Our first post with questions

Lorrie
01-19-2016, 10:56 AM
My husband and I are totally new to the idea of building a log home. Need to know what are the main differences between purchasing a kit home or a log home ?we have been researching online and there is so much info out there that it's confusing. Our idea is to have a shell built and roof put on for us along with everything that must be done on the exterior. We will finish the interior ourselves. In 1978 we built a 2000 sq ft home totally ourselves ( no contractors ). It took us only 6 months while we were working full time nights,so we have the expertise and ambition but this is a cabin and so of course their are differences. We wonder if it's worth taking the class for us considering we know a great deal about what must be done inside to finish. What would be a reasonable charge for a contractor to build our shell and roof the cabin ( about 1500 sq ft )??? We are looking to build northwest of Atlanta area. Any input anyone has is much appreciated. Thank you, Lorrie

blane
01-19-2016, 11:09 AM
If you have built a home yourself you can do this yourself just as easily. But there are folks that can build the shell and leave the rest to you. This is a much different type of home than the kit homes that are out there but the main difference is these homes will be standing long after the kits rot to the ground.

loghousenut
01-19-2016, 11:22 AM
You already know you can build your own home with your own hands. You may not fully appreciate a kit house. Take the class.

panderson03
01-19-2016, 11:23 AM
the main difference between a kit home and a LHBA home is that LHBA built homes (built in a 'tightly pinned butt and pass' manner) don't settle. no need to worry that windows will break or stick. or that doors won't open properly.
no need to lower the roof with a jack as the logs slowly shrink and the walls slowly get shorter
another key thing is that built the LHBA way, you can do it yourself as you have time and $$ so that when you're through you'll own it free and clear.
to us, that is key. we'll be retiring in our hand built cabin debt free:)
there's also a lot of other great reason's to build this way.
hopefully others will chime in soon!

donjuedo
01-19-2016, 02:40 PM
They are apples and oranges. I gradually got more and more interested in a log home, but noticed that all the new ones I saw were kits, and something seemed missing. They seemed modernized somehow, sterilized somehow. In fact, the log "theme" of a kit home seemed more symbolic. And symbols are not real. I finally realized that was the problem I was seeing -- kits don't really seem genuine. Then I ran into this web site, and it clicked. The detailed photos showed what I'd been looking for all along.

After learning about this building technique, I was watching an episode of Home Time, and they were in the middle of construction of a kit log home. Although I already knew the differences, I was still surprised as they described adjustments here and another compensation there. The list just kept going on and on.

Some folks like the uniformity of a kit, straying not too far from the civilized homes they've lived in before. That's fine. It's definitely not for me, not for a genuine log home.

Now, if you want someone else to build that shell, Ronnie is the most likely guy to get the job done. He'll pipe up before long, maybe even before I click "Post" for my long-winded message.

:-)

And welcome to the site!

Peter

rocklock
01-19-2016, 10:35 PM
Need to know what are the main differences between purchasing a kit home or a log home ? Our idea is to have a shell built and roof put on for us along with everything that must be done on the exterior.
What would be a reasonable charge for a contractor to build our shell and roof the cabin ( about 1500 sq ft )? Lorrie

A kit will be complicated, hard to finish (because logs keep moving unless something holds them together), hard to get an honest answer to almost anything...

A tightly pinned B&P home doesn't move. The green logs shrink but because they are held together with steel pins the log wall height doesn't change... PERIOD.. Look at my pictures in the links below. I have over 900 - 23 inch re-bar pins holding everything together.

We have a member that does build these shells... But I believe there is prep work that you must do...

I don't have a clue about the cost to build a shell, but it will be less than the cost of a kit because you will do lots of work... and he will get it done FAST... like less than two weeks...

Good luck Lorrie

Timber
01-26-2016, 12:58 PM
Good luck getting a kit home to get a thermo mass from the size logs they use. Read all the complaints on the kit homes. Rip offs every where you turn. Of course that can happen with any transaction esp. in counstruction.

Arrowman
01-26-2016, 04:58 PM
Good luck getting a kit home to get a thermo mass from the size logs they use. Read all the complaints on the kit homes. Rip offs every where you turn. Of course that can happen with any transaction esp. in counstruction.

My impression of reading about kit homes is that the dealers seem more like a close kin of used car salesmen than homebuilders or even a reputable building supply company.

allen84
01-27-2016, 07:01 AM
My impression of reading about kit homes is that the dealers seem more like a close kin of used car salesmen than homebuilders or even a reputable building supply company.

I was thinking the same thing recently when I came across a link showing that my county has adopted building codes that are specific to log home building... I clicked on it. There was a very very brief explanation of the code then a long list of every kit home builder in the state.

BoFuller
01-27-2016, 08:48 AM
I was thinking the same thing recently when I came across a link showing that my county has adopted building codes that are specific to log home building... I clicked on it. There was a very very brief explanation of the code then a long list of every kit home builder in the state.

They have lobby power, so they get to create the rules.

rckclmbr428
01-27-2016, 09:07 AM
I have been summoned, haha! I'm Ronnie and I do build these style of homes for people around the US. We built one near Murphy NC not to far from where you are talking about a few years back.
I have a friend who builds kit homes, but he likes to put a focal point "real log" in the home, normally arching across the living room. He calls it a focal point, I call it a shrine to how awesome the house could have been if they had used real logs.
As far as talking the class, I'd recommend it, even if you are going to hire out the shell construction. One, you'll want to have an idea of what the contractor is doing, but more importantly, you'll gain access to the members side of the forum, which has a lot of ideas, lots of build threads from those who have gone before you in the process. Even if you are familiar with framing and mechanical, there are things you'll find that will save you time and money, and give you ideas about how to do things differently than you might have thought of.

project
01-30-2016, 08:11 AM

After learning about this building technique, I was watching an episode of Home Time, and they were in the middle of construction of a kit log home. Although I already knew the differences, I was still surprised as they described adjustments here and another compensation there. The list just kept going on and .

:-)

And welcome to the site!

Peter

They later had to go back and do a show on the repair of that kit home due to rot problems.

loghousenut
01-30-2016, 09:10 AM
Stopped at a yard sale once and got to talking to the proud couple who had a kinda pretty kit home. They forced me to take a tour. They had never adjusted the screw jacks under any of their columns and it was tearing the place up before their eyes. They said their contractor had given up trying to even the place out and make things square and they kinda felt like that was log mansion life in a nutshell.

I mentioned the screw jacks and they had no idea there was such a thing hidden under their home. I saw the place years later and they said the screw jacks had mostly made the cabinets fit again and got rid of the biggest daylight holes between the boards (they called them logs), but that there was a significant rot problem that they were getting bids on. Only two corners and the bottom 5' of one wall.... they think.

They seemed disillusioned about log mansion living and just wanted to patch it up so they could sell it to another Californian. They advised me to steer clear of any thoughts of building my own log home and said I should leave it to the experts.

rreidnauer
01-30-2016, 09:14 AM
Good thing you've become the experts then, yes?

NWscott
01-30-2016, 09:59 AM
They advised me to steer clear of any thoughts of building my own log home and said I should leave it to the experts.

You obviously chose not to listen to their bad advice. Good call :cool:

loghousenut
01-30-2016, 07:11 PM
If they'da built that kit mansion at the same rate that I am building my place, they woulda been fixing the bottom part of that rotten wall just about the time they were putting up their cap logs.

allen84
01-30-2016, 07:25 PM
You mean cap wood.

loghousenut
01-30-2016, 09:55 PM
Yes, of course... Darned Tapatalk is so log oriented.

dvb
01-31-2016, 07:37 AM
I always tell people that kit homes are assembled, disassembled, moved to a site, reassembled and then are finished. My house was built on the site and I bet no one could move it, or take one log off before the roof was even on. The biggest reason Kit homes are less durable is that they have to fit loosely enough to be disassembled, moved and reassembled. Then their construction techniques have to allow for the cost of all that, so they go cheap anywhere they can. If you look at an expensive custom built home you will always see 2 foot eaves, where if you look at a less expensive cookie cutter house they usually have between none and 1 foot eaves. Eaves keep water and sun off of the house, makes everything last longer.

donjuedo
01-31-2016, 09:54 AM
Who knows? Maybe they are members of this site right now. :-D

Lorrie
02-02-2016, 01:34 PM
Reading all of the recent replies, it seems as tho a kit home is the way 'NOT' to go, most replies make us afraid of them. Thanks to everyone for their Imput.

mike.dean.2021
02-28-2016, 05:40 PM
Hi, I am a new member and this is my first post. I am about to retire from the Army after 20 years of service and after spending a ton of time thinking what I want to do with my life after the military I realized that I want to build log homes. I noticed you said you build these style of homes for people around the US. If you don't mind I have a few questions because I can't seem to find anything but big kit companies.
1. Most sites are advice on building your own log cabin or buying a kit from a huge company. I just want to build log homes and sell them for a living. Maybe have a small crew and then contract items out such as plumbing/ electrical etc etc. Is this even possible? Is there a market for it that can make a decent living off of?
2. What schooling / college should I look into?
3. are there apprenticeships???
4. Should I attend the class, build my own, sell it then use that to just keep building and selling or is there a better method?
Any advice you could give as to how to get started would be greatly appreciated.

StressMan79
02-28-2016, 09:38 PM
Hi, I am a new member and this is my first post. I am about to retire from the Army after 20 years of service and after spending a ton of time thinking what I want to do with my life after the military I realized that I want to build log homes. I noticed you said you build these style of homes for people around the US. If you don't mind I have a few questions because I can't seem to find anything but big kit companies.
1. Most sites are advice on building your own log cabin or buying a kit from a huge company. I just want to build log homes and sell them for a living. Maybe have a small crew and then contract items out such as plumbing/ electrical etc etc. Is this even possible? Is there a market for it that can make a decent living off of?
4. Should I attend the class, build my own, sell it then use that to just keep building and selling or is there a better method?
Any advice you could give as to how to get started would be greatly appreciated.

1 www.wileyloghomes.com
2. Take the class. Know trigonometry.
3. Dunno.
4. Yes. This is usually a good idea.

Sent from my VS986 using Forum Runner

loghousenut
02-28-2016, 10:28 PM

Skip Ellsworth would have said to do this. Unless you hate what you see on the LHBA website, I think you oughta consider going to class. It changed my life.

rocklock
02-29-2016, 11:14 AM
I am about to retire from the Army after 20 years of service
I realized that I want to build log homes.

Thanks for your service.
1. Yes it is possible. I don't know about decent living...
2. Basic Algebra and some Geometry. Know how to use the 3-4-5, 30-60 and 45 degree triangle. Buy a Carpenters Square and know what all the numbers do. That is really advanced stuff...
3. After taking the class you can volunteer on others builds... I did it... It doesn't take long. Then build a small shed and several models.
4. This is the best idea. Buy some land and live on it while building. Then be available to help others build their home. Then sell your home and then build two...four... and so on.

Best of luck. I looked all over the western states (except Calif.) for a place to build. I would have chosen Oregon but they have stupid laws (you can't pump your own gas) so I chose Washington, my place of birth.