PDA

View Full Version : Preliminary costs?

Flatline
10-05-2015, 03:48 AM
With the lack of this type of structure in England, it's difficult to work out what it will cost to build one

Perhaps you guys can help with some outline figures just for the structure itself, not internals?

If we talk about a 3 bedroom home, 1500-2000 square feet:

1. How many logs might I need? Just a rough idea

2. How much do you guys pay for a log? Again, a rough idea

3. Do the foundations required tend to be similar to those used for a similar sized brick house?

4. What about the total cost of the build, to a reasonable standard?

I do realise the cost of the interior materials can vary widely, so again it's a rough idea, what you guys would consider a decent one, not cheap and basic, if that makes sense?

Any info would give me a bit more of an idea

If it's to expensive here I may have to move to the US and get some local help!!! :)

Thanks

eduncan911
10-05-2015, 05:20 AM
Several have been built over the pond. Structure prices all depends on your resources. Find the right land and cost is $0: you source the logs on the property. Mill them down for your joists and rafters. And so on.

1) depends on size and design. If you want a 12 foot (3 meter) log wall, and your logs are 3 feet (1 meter) avg diameter ), then you need 3 logs per wall (boy that would look awesome). If you logs avg 0.5m, you'll be looking at 6 logs. And so on.

2) Again, can be free. Can be $500. Can be $20,000. All depends on your resourcefulness. The class teaches you pretty much all the different methods of obtaining free logs, though several ideas are based on the states.

3) for the most part, yes, though there are some design considerations. Again the class goes over each step. And, there are ways to build very cheap foundations on piers.

4) you'll want to read a lot more on here about this. This cannot be estimated. Can range from $20,000 to $200,000+. All depends on your resources, land, location, local supplies and availability at time of build, plans, foundation, labor (if any), building codes, local inspectors, permits, and a lot more... It really is far too wide of a variance.

I know it sounds like an advertising pitch, but taking the class preps you with all this knowledge to estimate the build yourself. From just a little money for permits to outsourcing parts if you must. If something is too expensive, you'll have the knowledge and resources to come up with alternatives to make that step affordable and to keep it within your budget.

The class is not only for US. We've had several in Japan, South America and others attend and build. It is worth every penny as a long time investment for your homesteads.

panderson03
10-05-2015, 05:34 AM
need a lot more info before we can answer your questions.
what will be the foot print of your structure? will the 2000 sqft be all one level or multiple levels?
our cabin is 35x35. most of the logs we needed were 40' log. 6 logs we needed 55' long. we build our walls 14 courses high so used 56 on the walls. bought 10 extra to give us some flexibility!
the logs we found were $2 per foot

maybe the foundation could be similar to a brick house if you used very small/thin logs. not likely you'll like that option though (less thermal mass and will need more logs to make the walls as tall as you need them ..so more rows of chinking)

total cost of the build totally depends on -how much you do yourself vs hire out -if you have high end amenities or not - if you take your time and hunt for bargains or not - if you rent or buy heavy equipment to help you along or not - ETC

we're building 2 structures; garage and cabin. we've done 90% of the work ourselves and rented a telehandler each of the 5 building seasons. by the time we're completely done with everything we'll have about $150,000 into it

but since we're paying as we go, we'll own it free and clear when we're through

please keep in mind the following
good fast cheap

of the three above you can only pick 2. which combination will it be?
good and fast? it won't be cheap!
good and cheap? it won't be fast!
fast and cheap? it won't be good!

hope this helps

Tracyblott
10-05-2015, 06:26 AM
I'm not going to blow smoke, even if you are extremely resourceful your most likely not going go get one built for less than 60k, I'm not saying it can't be done for less I'm just saying it's unlikely, but if you break that 60 k up into stages of the project all of a sudden it becomes very very doable, so the question becomes how much effort are you willing to put in to have the home you always dreamed of at a fraction of the cost and far superior to anything that is on the market, only you can answer that one.

eduncan911
10-05-2015, 06:35 AM
Hehe, I didn't catch the 1500 sq ft. I was thinking 20k for a "nice" 15x15. :)

We really should have a sticky in this forum for this exact question.

rreidnauer
10-05-2015, 07:44 AM
1. I'm building a 3 bdrm 1,800sf home. It will require 150 logs, figuring 12" nominal diameter, and that is for walls, RPSLs, ridgepole, purlins, girders, 2nd flr joists, and rafters.

2. I'm shooting for <100USD delivered

3. Yea, that would be about right

4. Just the house? Utilities? Property? I'm hoping to come in around $60k just for the house, around $100k for everything. It's not easy keeping numbers in check. It definitely takes thinking outside the normal way of thinking, and a load of patience waiting for the right deal to come along.

Tracyblott
10-05-2015, 08:18 AM
And just for a point of reference, rod is very very very resourceful, if I hit the 60k mark by having my tree on my land and by milling my own lumber for roof and framing and by making my own doors, counter tops and cabinets and pouring the foundation myself I'll count myself lucky indeed.

Flatline
10-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Thanks for all the replies, some useful info there

Lots to think about

edkemper
10-05-2015, 02:06 PM
On the other side of the list? I will never forget one story about a guy that built his place for $29,000 if I remember correctly. Then he adds that in that price is his very extensive fireplace that cost $12,000 of the total.

There are others that will spend $150,000 - 200,000.

It's kind of like asking how much a six passenger car will cost.

jkgge
10-05-2015, 02:15 PM
When you are are giving these estimates, are those say $60k or $100k totals including the land or ontop of the land?

edkemper
10-05-2015, 02:24 PM
When you are are giving these estimates, are those say $60k or $100k totals including the land or on top of the land?

Both ends of the question. Just like everything else, land could be $500 per acre or $100,000 per acre. Can someone buy the land and build the house for $60,000? Yes and no. The class is where you start learning how to do things on the cheaper side if that is where you want to go. Either end will require work or more money.

panderson03
10-06-2015, 05:41 AM
for us, it was on top of land