PDA

View Full Version : Treehouses

LonghornSam
04-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Last week I was watching a show called Amazing Vacation Homes and saw a segment about a guy who built a very cool log home treehouse. It was a notched style home built in and around the trees about 20 feet off of the ground. That got me to thinking, which can be a dangerous thing :shock: Has anyone built a "liveable" treehouse. I thought I might give one a try along with my log home project in about 2 years. Any ideas, comments, resources, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Also, be sure and post any pics that you think are relevant.

Sam
New Mexico

WillandHelen
04-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Hey,

I built a 10x10 on off the center of a big oak tree. You see alot of people build them in a cluster of limbs. I didn't like this because limbs have a tendency to sway at different rates and break off. I put 4 cantelevers on each side of the tree. Then I built a square deck on those 4 cantilevers. 4 more connections 8ft up the tree that hold the roof rafters which come down to rest on the walls. Its been there 3 yrs now and looks like the day it was built.

Oh yeah, I had scaffolding which was a big help, but once you get the deck up it is easy.

spin05
04-25-2006, 03:17 PM
My brother lived in a tree house he built with stick frame not log.He used a chainsaw because he had no power and was dirt poor.He used two trees in the back corners wich were chained to the trees.Bad design its what finally gave way. The front 2 corners were cut off at the level he wanted the house wich was about 20ft or so.He even had a green house for the his wacky weed on top of it.