PDA

View Full Version : Is This For Real?

Jhuff8181
04-04-2015, 04:18 AM
I stumbled upon this website while searching for log home plans and builders. I have read all the articles, looked through all the student pictures, read all the FAQ and I have to say I am very impressed but a bit skeptical (my wife even more so).

I am 54 years old and self-employed (work from home). I was on the retail side of home improvement for 25 years and consider myself to be capable of handling almost any home improvement project. I have cut down trees on my own land for firewood over the past 5 years and am not afraid of a little hard work.

I say all this to ask this question, can I really be taught how to build a log home with tools that will fit in the trunk of my car in two days? How can one person lift those heavy logs into place without a crane? I’m not looking for any free info here just a little reassurance. I am trying to decide whether or not to attend the class in June and I don’t want to waste my time or money.
A year ago we sold or house of 25 years to my daughter and her husband. Since then we have been traveling the country in an RV but my wife is tired of being away from the grandkids and wants to settle down again. Since I don’t want just a plain old house again I though a log cabin would be great. I’m very interested in building it debt free. Our plan is to buy the land, do the sight work, put in the septic and electrical lines and park or RV there while we build the cabin. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

John

Mosseyme
04-04-2015, 05:34 AM
Wow, John,
Reading your current status is like reading of someone several steps along the plan. Yes this is for real. Many have done just that. Some have and are doing it with modifications of building style and equipment. The family build closest to our build did it with no heavy equipment except I think they bought or rented a portable mill for some of the dimensional lumber and most of the build was done by the father and son.
We are in our mid 60's and just now got our cabin with decking and titanium on the roof, next will be the metal.
So far we have had help from a brother quite regularly and hired an hourly pair to help pour the basement walls and do the decking on the roof. The rest we have done ourselves including felling our logs, [not recommended by the administration]. We also dug the basement and footers including removing 400 or more tractor buckets of rocks. We have chosen to use some heavy equipment for our build but many have not.
Every story is different. Different people, different end goals, different situations. The real story here is this class will give you confidence that you can actually do this and for sure the knowledge you need to achieve your goal. The rest will be up to you. After class you will have access to the member side where there is a wealth of knowledge from members, with their lessons learned, and their life experience knowledge. We have members from almost every profession who will share advise and answer questions if you are stumped or forget some part. Also you will have a manual that you receive at class and if you wish to purchase already designed set of plans.
You get about 11 hours x 2 days of information in a very logical but humorous presentation. The instructors are great and will answer almost any question you might come up with. My husband said after the class this was the only time in his life he had sat through that many hours of anything without ever one time starting to doze and that is with the jet lag from the east coast to the west coast.
All of this being said, make sure your wife goes if you do. Even if she will not be involved with the actual build it will make life so much sweeter if she knows and understands just how and why you do what you do. Who knows she might become your biggest helper and for sure supporter. I am just a member doing what we would have been doing anyway only not making a lot of the mistakes we would have made if not for this class.

PS
Waste of time or money? Almost no chance of that. Money back if not satisfied.

loghousenut
04-04-2015, 06:09 AM
Yeah John, it's real. I'm 61 and doing just fine at it. You can build much faster than I am I or you can enjoy the process almost as much as I am. No regrets here.

Ditto... Go to class as a pair. She's gonna order you around anyway so she might as well be on the same page as you are.

With what you learn here at LHBA any fool can do this... Here's proof.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1020653_zps4fmvgjbi.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/P1020653_zps4fmvgjbi.jpg.html)

rreidnauer
04-04-2015, 06:21 AM
LHBA is celebrating it's 50th anniversary, and still this question gets asked. LOL

mountainguide
04-04-2015, 08:59 AM
If the class was "not for real" the price would be $2000 to $3,000 and no iron clad "money back" guarantee. As mentioned, the 50th year anniversary should speak volumes to you. Small investment that pays big dividends. One of the few remaining in this world. Good Luck on your journey.

Tim
Class of Feb 2015

donjuedo
04-04-2015, 10:09 AM
It's the real deal. It's not too good to be true, though, as it involves quite a lot of work.

I suggest reading all you can on the public forum and taking a good look through the gallery, to determine if the end result suits your taste.

When I first started exploring log homes, I was seeing kit homes and they make some pretty pictures. But those seemed robbed of the natural character of logs, and I could feel it, if I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Then I found this site, and I recognized the examples as what I had been looking for all along.

The public forum is free. Learn all you can. When you've explored thoroughly, you'll know what's best for you. (Explore with your wife, too)

rocklock
04-04-2015, 12:47 PM
I stumbled upon this website while searching for log home plans and builders. I have read all the articles, looked through all the student pictures, read all the FAQ and I have to say I am very impressed but a bit skeptical (my wife even more so).I am 54 years old and self-employed
I say all this to ask this question, can I really be taught how to build a log home with tools that will fit in the trunk of my car in two days? How can one person lift those heavy logs into place without a crane?

John Huff... I have two friends with that name... in Arizona...

Boy, to be 54...and starting this journey... I'm 71 and finishing my log home. So the answer to your questions yes, in two days... You really don't need a crane but it really helps. My son and I lifted our logs in place in twelve 1/2 days (eight years ago with a crane)... Which is really slow compared to others in this forum. Why with a crane... My county folks (expletive deleted) only allowed me to develop a plot 40 by 110 feet and on a slope in a native forest by a 15 acre pond. Hence a crane was required.

OBTW, the trunk probably was a 50's Chevy or Ford.

For me, the really hard part is all the rest of the electrical, plumbing, sheet rock and the like... If you become a member (attend the class) you can read all about me and many others on the other side. Then if anything is not clear, you can ask questions... Better yet you can inform the many of us of your experiences...

Good luck and get the move on... Time doesn't stop.

blane
04-04-2015, 01:05 PM
We did it. Took a while but it was worth it

edkemper
04-04-2015, 04:00 PM
We should not fail to mention the lunatic that has a Miata that has been used to get most of the tools and much of his supplies to his place. He's also one of our best go to members for help and detailed instruction on a huge list of projects.

I'm 64 and my 50+yo 5' 100# wife are just starting our adventure. I think you'll fit in real well if you so choose, even though you are so young.

rreidnauer
04-04-2015, 04:13 PM
Why with a crane... My county folks (expletive deleted) only allowed me to develop a plot 40 by 110 feet and on a slope in a native forest by a 15 acre pond. Hence a crane was required.Heck, sounds like you had it easy. Don't know if you watch This Old House, but man, are some of those towns going nuts on regulations up in New England. One of the latest I saw, the town required the homeowner to restore a portion of his property to permanent natural woodlands before they'd approve a permit to work on his house!

rocklock
04-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Ha... I had to plant 40 cedar trees to get the permit for my kitchen porch... That's 40...

blane
04-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Ha... I had to plant 40 cedar trees to get the permit for my kitchen porch... That's 40...

That's ridicules! What's their reasoning?

rreidnauer
04-04-2015, 08:41 PM
That is ridicules. Ridiculous too. Dang Rocklock, tree huggers got to them bldg depts out there too, huh? I wonder how far they will overstep their bounds before there is public backlash. I hope at least, they didn't require the cedars be permanently protected, as they did on the show. (made homeowner install "monuments" in the ground surrounding the restored area noting its a protected area)

Mosseyme
04-04-2015, 09:12 PM
I hope John remembers to check back here for the answers to his questions. He sounds like he needs this deal and is made for it.

Jhuff8181
04-05-2015, 04:22 AM
Thank you everyone for your responses. I will continue my research and let you know how it goes.

rocklock
04-05-2015, 08:44 AM

Because I only have wet lands on my property, they took a drawing that was approved which I only drew one large porch. After many years I wanted to build two much smaller decks. This was a change so they wanted something to "counter" the environmental impact. Several things were mentioned, donation to some environmental org or doing additional plantings... My neighbor had and new landscape bed that had all kinds of weeds (cedar trees) and so I thinned the weeds and planted them, all 40, with stakes and colored ribbons.

The crazy the crazy thing about this, if I clear my own landscape bed, My cedar trees will do exactly the same thing...
I might mention, I have killed maple, cedar and alder trees by the hundreds... I call them weeds. 31 years ago my father-in-law had an area cleared so he could camp on his land - about 90 feet from mine... Guess What? There is a grove of Alder Trees that are all 30 years old... You can mark the exact line where the land was cleared....

John W
04-06-2015, 10:55 AM
John / JHUFF, I just read through the thread, but don't think anybody mentioned it. The course will teach you how to get the foundation, walls and roof. It doesn't go into how to do plumbing, electrical, etc. The wealth of knowledge on the member's side gets you that. Others may chime in with how much that type of thing is covered.

Shark
04-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Yup it's for real, my wife & I built one in Indiana (& sold it to move west). Great class, well worth it, even if you never decide to build.

Plumb Level
04-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Hi John - I know a John Huff in Missouri that is 54 years old, but don't think it is you cause he isn't traveling the country.

Anyway, you are asking us if we are for real......I'm wondering if you are for real! Everything you wrote, you sound like the perfect candidate for this type of build. You've already sold your house, you want to build debt free, a good amount of experience with home improvement, got your RV already and thinking about living on site during the build.....welcome to the forum.

ivanshayka
04-09-2015, 07:16 PM
It's real alright. I'm doing it, and with tools that fit in the trunk. I have to tell you, I cheated, i am using old Allis Chalmers to drag logs around my property, my Honda civic couldn't do the job (Honda sold now, tractor cost $1100). I was able to use civic and pulleys to lift everything. You can always ask for money back after class.

Bluebay
04-10-2015, 04:02 AM
Ivanshayka, my son and I are attending the June class, think we are pretty close to you in the TC area. Would love to get a look at your progress on the house and a close up look at your shed. Take care and stay dry today

loggerblogger
04-11-2015, 03:29 PM
WE too are going to the class in June and I was (and maybe a little still am) skeptical, but I have read alot and I am just like you, My wife and I with our 10 year old son are going to live in an RV for however long it takes to build the cabin. I am 47 and know very little about building but I am confident I will learn all I need to know in class. I have 12 acres in NE Tenn with a lot of straight tall ash trees and plan on cutting my own logs. i am scared, nervous, anxious and skeptical but, above all the help that will be available on the member side of the association, our faith in God is what will help us complete what we have begun. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

BoFuller
04-11-2015, 04:38 PM
WE too are going to the class in June and I was (and maybe a little still am) skeptical, but I have read alot and I am just like you, My wife and I with our 10 year old son are going to live in an RV for however long it takes to build the cabin. I am 47 and know very little about building but I am confident I will learn all I need to know in class. I have 12 acres in NE Tenn with a lot of straight tall ash trees and plan on cutting my own logs. i am scared, nervous, anxious and skeptical but, above all the help that will be available on the member side of the association, our faith in God is what will help us complete what we have begun. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

You're going to do fine. Just keep trusting in Him.

blane
04-11-2015, 04:39 PM
loggerblogger,
You remind me of me 5 years ago. Were it not for our faith in God this would have been a disaster! We moved into our single wide "35 years old at the time" with our four children then adopted another one year later about the time we started peeling logs. It wasn't easy but we made it.
Looking forward to meeting you at the South East meet and greet this fall!
Blane

ivanshayka
04-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Ivanshayka, my son and I are attending the June class, think we are pretty close to you in the TC area. Would love to get a look at your progress on the house and a close up look at your shed. Take care and stay dry today

I would love to have you over and show you around. But I do have to hook up with you after u attend class. Read all u can on this forum, and know you gonna be fine. If I can do it, anyone can do it.
There is another member who is planning to build near by, his name is Mark.

loggerblogger
04-12-2015, 02:54 PM
woohoo love the support we get here. I am looking forward to the meet and greet Blane.

Basil
04-15-2015, 05:20 AM
I don't know how much of the old website is still available, but I always thought it was over the top a little with its claims. I was extremely skeptical but took the class anyway. I took the very last class that Skip taught. I built my house and moved in October 2008. It's for real, and frankly, everything I did that strayed from what was taught in class cost me money, or time, and I wish I'd just done as instructed. Still, I've been living here for 6 1/2 years and the only problems I've had came from work done by subcontractors, the so-called experts.

project
04-16-2015, 06:04 PM
I was able to write the class off on my taxes as continuing education . It's not a lot but every little bit helps. Take the class, you won't regret it.

jcs3419
04-17-2015, 06:09 PM
It's for real. The amount of work is big, but mortgage free is worth it.
Www.acabinintheaspens.blogspot.com