PDA

View Full Version : What type of stain do you recommend?

VickyH77
03-16-2015, 08:59 PM
Hello! My husband and I just found this site today! We are building our new log cabin this summer and was wondering what people recommend for stain. We have heard that Sikkens is the best but was wondering what others have used and what the thought of the product they used. We live in northern BC, Canada so we might not get the same product as what is used in the US, but still interested in what has been tried and tested. We look forward to reading everyone's adventure in building their dream homes.

loghousenut
03-16-2015, 10:24 PM
I used these guys/gals product. Head office is here on the proper coast and they deal in Canada. Seems to be a great product though I am only a year or so into it.

http://timberprocoatings.com/

Timberwolf
03-17-2015, 05:30 AM
Though i had a minor hiccup along the way, i would still recommend Sashco, after 5 years and 4 Canadian winters it still looks like I put it on yesterday.

ahem...

PREP IS EVERYTHING!

StressMan79
03-17-2015, 08:28 AM
I am going au naturale.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

panderson03
03-23-2015, 08:59 AM
I would recommend something you did not have to strip before adding new coats in subsequent years

PPG Madison, WI
04-20-2015, 05:08 AM
The Sikkens line is a great product. The Log & Siding is a 2 coat system for vertical surfaces that leaves a satin finish on the wood. As it starts to show wear, there are 2 routes you can go: another coat of L & S or a coat of Maintenance RE. The L & S has color while the Maintenance RE is a clear. The line is designed to adhere to itself, so no more peeling stain and no more sanding down to bare wood to re-stain. Just clean and apply. The DEK Finish is a similar product, but made for decks. They are pricey products, but worth the cost!

[spam from ppgpaints.com. ToS violation (http://www.buildloghomes.org/forum-guidelines-and-terms-service) #11, 19 and 30]

VickyH77
04-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Thanks everyone! We started clearing the lot this weekend. Lots of work left to do but we are looking forward to when it is all complete. It's pretty easy to get overwhelmed!

panderson03
04-21-2015, 06:18 AM
it IS very easy to get overwhelmed!! just gotta take it one step at a time. celebrate small victories.
site clearing is a LOT of work! GOOD FOR YOU!

enjoy the process

work safe

rreidnauer
04-21-2015, 07:00 AM
I used these guys/gals product. Head office is here on the proper coast and they deal in Canada. Seems to be a great product though I am only a year or so into it.

http://timberprocoatings.com/
Boy, how times have changed. Couple years back, who'd a thunk LHN would be recommending staining. What's next? He will become a gutter advocate?

loghousenut
04-21-2015, 07:03 AM
Boy, how times have changed. Couple years back, who'd a thunk LHN would be recommending staining. What's next? He will become a gutter advocate?

Who recommended staining?... I recommended matrimony!

http://timberprocoatings.com/ ... Excellent marriage counselors.

PS.... When she wants gutters I'll drink lye.

TimberTim
05-31-2015, 06:13 PM
The class does not recommend staining. Once you stain, you will have to maintain it every x years. The class teaches the simplest, lowest maintenance, long lasting method to build a home.

Mosseyme
05-31-2015, 06:59 PM
Yes Tim, that is so true. However, you will find that many here succumb to the pressure. It does make for beautiful log homes. I still hope that I will hold strong and abstain.

Little Eagle
06-01-2015, 05:57 PM
So this is a question that ask Ellisworth, and IMHO i believe you may need to stain depending on where you build due to humidity and these types of factors.

FlightRN
06-12-2015, 08:33 AM
Who recommended staining?... I recommended matrimony!

http://timberprocoatings.com/ ... Excellent marriage counselors.

PS.... When she wants gutters I'll drink lye.

This brings up an excellent discussion for me... What are the pros (if any)/cons to using gutters. Being from the south (but building in NW MT), all I've ever known was using gutters to prevent foundation/basement issues. I remember in class, Ellsworth grazing this topic and suggesting longer overhangs/eaves. Did I understand this correctly? Will longer eaves and overhangs decrease or negate the need for gutters?

donjuedo
06-12-2015, 03:00 PM
Using a gutter to put the rain into a pipe lets you pipe it all as far away from the foundation as you want, so the best benefit I see keeping a full basement dry. But maybe you don't have a full basement.

Still, catching it in a gutter keeps it from splashing on the ground, then back onto logs you want to last forever.

loghousenut
06-12-2015, 03:22 PM
Gutters are a great tool to keep those pesky leaves and fir needles from damming up the drip line at the end of your 6' roof overhangs. I say catch that debris and control it before it hits the ground.

BoFuller
06-12-2015, 03:28 PM
Gutters! I would say that the slight majority frown on them, but what do they know. 😃
The main thing to remember is that LHN doesn't like them, so that's the main reason I'm installing mine this weekend.

Seriously, I have long eaves (8 1/2 ft on ends and 4 1/2 on sides) but the rain is still getting too close to my foundation for my comfort. So I'm directing it away. But the main reason (for reals this time) is that I'm collecting the water. We get from 12 to 20 inches a year, so we're collecting all we can, for gardening and landscaping.

It probably, or maybe possibly, looks a wee tiny bit better without them, but function is over-ruling looks on this one.

FlightRN
06-21-2015, 07:00 PM
Gutters are a great tool to keep those pesky leaves and fir needles from damming up the drip line at the end of your 6' roof overhangs. I say catch that debris and control it before it hits the ground.

Gutters! I would say that the slight majority frown on them, but what do they know. ��
The main thing to remember is that LHN doesn't like them, so that's the main reason I'm installing mine this weekend.

Seriously, I have long eaves (8 1/2 ft on ends and 4 1/2 on sides) but the rain is still getting too close to my foundation for my comfort. So I'm directing it away. But the main reason (for reals this time) is that I'm collecting the water. We get from 12 to 20 inches a year, so we're collecting all we can, for gardening and landscaping.

It probably, or maybe possibly, looks a wee tiny bit better without them, but function is over-ruling looks on this one.

SO SORRY for my lack of response... My wife and son just arrived last week and we have been busy settling in. I have also been fairly unsuccessful in getting my subscription notifications set up right. Any ways, I appreciate y'all's input. As with most things, I'll probably have to build a few, some with gutters and some without, before I'll have a true, Die Hard Mantra like LHN :) For the first one I think I'll go with gutters unless someone can give me a plausible reason not to. BTW, I think we are closing in on our land search. Will have some questions posted on other threads! Thanks!

loghousenut
06-21-2015, 07:25 PM
For the first one I think I'll go with gutters unless someone can give me a plausible reason not to. Thanks!

Leaves and needles.

FlightRN
06-21-2015, 08:14 PM
Leaves and needles.

But what about those nifty foam fillers sold at HD that prevent such things getting caught in your gutters??? ;)

loghousenut
06-22-2015, 05:49 AM
But what about those nifty foam fillers sold at HD that prevent such things getting caught in your gutters??? ;)

What gutters?

FlightRN
06-22-2015, 07:45 AM
What gutters?

Touché............

edkemper
06-22-2015, 08:46 AM
Gutters are an item one must decide about by your circumstances. Depending on where you build (Like Bo and I), gutters might be a means to an important end. Living in the high desert of Oregon, I see (on a "normal" year) maybe 15-20 inches of rain. If you live on rural land without a municipal water source, it becomes a more important decision about a rain water catchment system for gardening and irrigation. Gutters are one of the main ingredients of such a system.

On the other hand, if you live in an area where rainfall is plentiful, perhaps gutters are another means to keep the roof runoff off your bottom logs. Keeping them dry decreases the chance of rot.

LHN lives on the west side of Oregon, closer to the ocean in a place that has a municipal water system if I remember correctly and he probably has more rain. Whereas I live on the western side of Oregon just about a hundred miles away and we have no water system and less rain.

So while gutters are a source of entertainment here, there is a serious side of the discussion.

rreidnauer
06-22-2015, 01:00 PM
Who da heck cleans out gutters these days?

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r519/Liberty_Acres/IMG_20150622_165509.jpg

loghousenut
06-22-2015, 07:10 PM
I don't...