PDA

View Full Version : New to forum and have lots of questions

DanielleRenshaw
02-18-2015, 02:29 PM
Hi,
I just found this site last week and have already convinced my husband, his brother and a friend to take the class in May. I would go but have 3 small kids to take care of and have a husband who doesn't believe the things I say unless he hears it from someone else.
Anyway, I have so many questions and I feel like I can't wait till May to get some answers.
First, I read you can get logs for free or very inexpensive through the forest service. I am sure not everyone is that lucky, does anyone know of a good place to buy logs locally, if we are not some of the lucky ones?
Second, How do people get the building plans? Do you draw them then have them stamped by an engineer? Or, has anyone bought building plans online? Maybe this question will be answered in class but I am so excited, I want to start planning now!
Third, does anyone have any experience using SIPs panels for the roof, can it be done? What about ICF's for a walkout basement?
Lastly, has anyone tried to pressure wash their logs to debark? I have seen pictures of this done on some log home builders websites, it leaves a beautiful smooth finish! I want to try, anyone have any tips?
We live in Snohomish, Washington and would love to see what people have done in the area. Is there anyone in my area currently working on a project? Do you want help?
Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!
Danielle

loghousenut
02-18-2015, 02:50 PM
Danny Girl... Welcome to the site. Your family will be a bunch of teachers pets in the LHBA classroom. The answer to every one of your questions is yes.

Everyone finds logs one way or another. Some pay, some don't. Some Govt., some private. I got my logs for free from a Craigslist ad but it cost a lot to haul them. The Forest Service logs can be found but it doesn't happen every time you turn around.

Plans? I love the LHBA stock plans and they are the biggest bargain going. They work out so "right" with this style of log home. In Snohomish County you will need an engineers stamp on your plans and there are a number of great engineers to choose from. Covered in class and on the member's side.

Sips? What problem can there be? It is done all the time.

ICF's? See the Sip answer.

You are not asking questions about notches, milling logs, screw jacks, walls settling, or kit houses. That is SO DARNED REFRESHING!!!

You'll learn the pressure washing trick in class. It can be easier or harder that way depending on the logs.

If you folks want to build your own log home with your own hands, I think this is the best place for it. Class will get you onto the same page as the rest of us, and we'll keep you guided in the right direction through the member's side of the forum.

Do yourselves and the rest of us a favor and wait til after class to try working on a current build. All those questions are so efficiently answered in class and then any help you can offer is straight up help in exchange for experience. It works.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1020769_zpsb94f16f5.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/P1020769_zpsb94f16f5.jpg.html)

StressMan79
02-18-2015, 03:14 PM
And there are lots of homes to look at, within 40 miles.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

rocklock
02-18-2015, 03:33 PM
First, I read you can get logs for free or very inexpensive through the forest service.
Second, How do people get the building plans? Do you draw them then have them stamped by an engineer?
Third, does anyone have any experience using SIPs panels for the roof,
What about ICF's for a walkout basement?
Lastly, has anyone tried to pressure wash their logs to debark?

Danielle
Great Questions
Free logs in Washington is an iffy preposition. But there are plenty of logs as you must well know.
I bought the LHBA's stock plans and we have an Engineer that will wet stamp them...
I have used the plans to build my 31 by 31 log home which is shown below. I used ICF's, my own kind of SIP and I built a walkout basement. We have 5 log home's on Camano Island that are built using the LHBA principles.
Welcome and look around...
Watch my video...

slamasha
02-18-2015, 06:52 PM
Finding cheap logs in our area is a challenge. We live in Sultan, WA, preparing to build this year, but it takes way longer than we expected due to lots of regulations/requirements we have to go through. All the rest of the questions are covered by Rocklock. Given the type of your questions, you'll finish your build way ahead of us. Snohomish county is very painful (per our experience), but doable... Ask Ellsworth when you go to May class, he knows a family who have built in Snohomish. Wallace Falls lodge is located in Gold Bar. I don't know if they let you just walk in and take a look, but you may give it a try.

blane
02-19-2015, 05:08 AM
When we took the class at Skips place we made a trip to Wallace falls and knocked on the door and they gave us a tour.

DanielleRenshaw
02-20-2015, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the great advice! I wish I didn't have to wait till May!
Beautiful logs! What kind did you use?

jaws
02-20-2015, 03:30 PM
Hi Danielle,

You think you're excited now?...

I just took the Feb 15th class and it was incredible. If you're wondering if it's possible to build your own log home, I went from dreaming about our log home to realizing it was definitely in my ability to build it after taking the class. They will teach you everything you need to know and where to find your logs! And anything that might come up or unsure of will be answered in the LHBA Member forums after you take the class.

My wife and I live in Washington also and would be glad to come help you guys when your ready to start building your new log home!

~Jeff