PDA

View Full Version : New York People Searching for Land

John W
01-08-2015, 04:34 AM
I won't be offended if you guys pull this thread, cause it sounds like I'm advertising. I don't have any connections to this realty company, other than I'm on their mailing list. It's just that I thought I'd pass this one along, as it sounded like a great set up to build a home. 8.8 acres close to state land, with a 24x40 older barn they've done some interior work on with a new roof, a 36 foot JAYCO trailer with bumpouts, well dug, septic in, electric hookup. $69,900. Don't know any other details, but almost looks like you'd be ready to build in the same day. WWW.VANDEWATERLAND.COM

panderson03
01-08-2015, 05:53 AM
sounds like an excellent set up!!

rocklock
01-08-2015, 11:23 AM
My problem with New York is our friends in Reinbeck (Hudson Valley) almost pay more per month in taxes than I do in Hawaii per yesr. The evaluations are a little different but still over 900 per month is insane...

John W
01-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Three years ago, I went so far as to contact one of the counties in NW New York. For that township/county, land and house totalling $200K value, taxes would be about $375 a month, ballpark.

spiralsands
01-08-2015, 02:05 PM
I get mailings from Vanderwater all the time about offers to buy my land. I wonder what they would offer me.

eduncan911
01-09-2015, 04:47 PM
http://www.cheapusland.com/ is who I've kept an eye on for some time as their NY prices were very low. And then I realized why... If you Google "Marcellus Shale" you'll quickly realize why those land values have dropped 50% in the last 10 years.

I live in, and own land (which I hope to break ground on this year for my LHBA home) in the Hudson Valley (basically everything North of NYC up the Hudson River, from Yonkers to Albany). I searched for many years after I took the LHBA class for the "perfect" land per the specs they teach in class, and I can tell you property taxes are insane here. On a $400k home, the township/county may assess it for $310,000 and it will be taxed at that assessment (yep, they do assessments here). That's a bill of $13,000/yr in Ulster county - one of the least expensive counties n this area. Anywhere closer to the city (Orange, Rockland, Putnam <- they are screwed, Westchester, etc) and you got a higher tax bill. Given, you get a Homestead discount and in some townships a School discount which brings some down to around the $8,500 figure. Perpetual rent!

But there is a way to beat the tax man, for now anyways. In NY they have something called an "Equalization Rate" for taxation. What this means is most townships tax at a rate of 100%, whereas some tax lower and higher than that. For example, Stanford, NY has an Equalization Rate of 66% - this means all taxes (county + school) are reduced 33%! Whereas some newer "hippie" townships are taxed at 133%! It wasn't too clear; but, it had to do something about old townships that haven't been re-assessed in many years. They were kept low (social services are low there, hint hint) and therefore their Equalization Rate was less than 1.

Over on the member's side, I shared my story on how I found my land for less than dirt cheap - as in 1/10th the cost in this high-priced area of NY.

spiralsands
01-10-2015, 09:39 AM
My Florida property tax bill was 1400 of which only 400 was school tax with no other services. My water sewer garbage bill annually was 2400. My home owner's insurance was 3500 annually. My car insurance for 3 vehicles was about 2400 annually.

Here in New York, my property tax bill is 5500 of which 2400 is school tax and it also pays sewer, garbage and they keep my little side street cul-de-sac plowed and salted all winter long. My water bill is only 200 a year. My home owner's is only 800 a year. And my car insurance is only 1200 a year for the same 3 vehicles.

In low tax Florida I paid 2000 more annually for less services. The schools are awful and the crime rate is sick. In high tax New York, I have a better home with better water and I feel much safer. So it seems to me that to choose a place and brag that it is "low tax" is really just silly when you start comparing apples to apples.

rockinlog
01-10-2015, 09:51 AM
http://www.cheapusland.com/ is who I've kept an eye on for some time as their NY prices were very low. And then I realized why... If you Google "Marcellus Shale" you'll quickly realize why those land values have dropped 50% in the last 10 years.

I live in, and own land (which I hope to break ground on this year for my LHBA home) in the Hudson Valley (basically everything North of NYC up the Hudson River, from Yonkers to Albany). I searched for many years after I took the LHBA class for the "perfect" land per the specs they teach in class, and I can tell you property taxes are insane here. On a $400k home, the township/county may assess it for $310,000 and it will be taxed at that assessment (yep, they do assessments here). That's a bill of $13,000/yr in Ulster county - one of the least expensive counties n this area. Anywhere closer to the city (Orange, Rockland, Putnam <- they are screwed, Westchester, etc) and you got a higher tax bill. Given, you get a Homestead discount and in some townships a School discount which brings some down to around the $8,500 figure. Perpetual rent!

But there is a way to beat the tax man, for now anyways. In NY they have something called an "Equalization Rate" for taxation. What this means is most townships tax at a rate of 100%, whereas some tax lower and higher than that. For example, Stanford, NY has an Equalization Rate of 66% - this means all taxes (county + school) are reduced 33%! Whereas some newer "hippie" townships are taxed at 133%! It wasn't too clear; but, it had to do something about old townships that haven't been re-assessed in many years. They were kept low (social services are low there, hint hint) and therefore their Equalization Rate was less than 1.

Over on the member's side, I shared my story on how I found my land for less than dirt cheap - as in 1/10th the cost in this high-priced area of NY.you tease lol guess i have to wait till next month to read about it after vegas!!

rocklock
01-11-2015, 02:38 PM
Here in New York, my property tax bill is 5500 of which 2400 is school tax and it also pays sewer, garbage and they keep my little side street cul-de-sac plowed and salted all winter long. My water bill is only 200 a year. My home owner's is only 800 a year. And my car insurance is only 1200 a year for the same 3 vehicles.

In Washington, my log home is paid for. There is no garbage fee because we recycle, compost and go to the transfer station about twice a month where the minimum is 11 bucks (monthly about 25 bucks). Insurance is 500 year. Tax is about 1300/year. Electric is about 75 a month (includes water). Gas (propane) is about 15 bucks a month. Wood is free cause I live in Washington. Car insurance is about 1200 for three cars. Hence total fix costs will be about 4380 which is about 1/3 of the property TAX of my friends Stone Farm house in New York.

loghousenut
01-11-2015, 03:06 PM
Well I have news for all of you. I own my land outright, here in sunny southern Oregon, and I haven't had a tax bill of any kind in over 20 years.

donjuedo
01-11-2015, 04:38 PM
Well I have news for all of you. I own my land outright, here in sunny southern Oregon, and I haven't had a tax bill of any kind in over 20 years.

How? I thought everyone had property tax.

Peter

rreidnauer
01-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Land Patent?

rockinlog
01-11-2015, 06:07 PM

im curious as well spill it lhn lol

loghousenut
01-11-2015, 09:12 PM
Darned Tapatalk only posted half of what I had to say. My Wife gets the tax bill... Makes her feel in charge.

Sorry for any confusion.

rockinlog
01-11-2015, 09:52 PM
Darned Tapatalk only posted half of what I had to say. My Wife gets the tax bill... Makes her feel in charge.

Sorry for any confusion.

lol i was wondering if i had missed a loophole all these years

donjuedo
01-12-2015, 03:27 AM
Oh. Then I better cancel my moving plans.

loghousenut
01-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Oh. Then I better cancel my moving plans.

Come on out and get into the same Tax deal I'm in.... She has a sister!

rreidnauer
01-12-2015, 09:21 AM
lol i was wondering if i had missed a loophole all these years
You have. Look into what I mentioned previously.

stamic55
01-12-2015, 01:05 PM
Lol, that's funny.

rockinlog
01-12-2015, 03:37 PM
You have. Look into what I mentioned previously.

oh? can you tell me a bit about it or point me the way? thanks bud!

rockinlog
01-12-2015, 03:38 PM

lol you one funny guy!

rreidnauer
01-12-2015, 03:52 PM
oh? can you tell me a bit about it or point me the way? thanks bud!

Good start here: http://www.teamlaw.org/PatentHowTo.htm

donjuedo
01-12-2015, 04:11 PM

LOL! You crack me up, LogHouseNut!

donjuedo
01-12-2015, 04:25 PM
It sounds fishy, Rod. After admittedly skimming much of the page, which is mostly focussed on proof of ownership, I saw this quote:

"With a land patent as the operating authority on the land, the Land cannot thereafter lawfully be taken for debt or taxes, except by the willing grant of the Landowner."

People lose land/homes in every county every year, and there are plenty of laws covering how it's done (and not done). So at what point does someone willingly enter into a contract to pay property taxes? I've bought a home before, and signed a mind-numbing mountain of paperwork at closing. Is it in there?

Peter

rreidnauer
01-12-2015, 05:15 PM
It sounds fishy, Rod. . . . People lose land/homes in every county every year, and there are plenty of laws covering how it's done (and not done). So at what point does someone willingly enter into a contract to pay property taxes? I've bought a home before, and signed a mind-numbing mountain of paperwork at closing. Is it in there?I suggest you take some more time to go over it. Better yet, start with the "Do you own land" link on the left first. Things will make much more sense.

rockinlog
01-12-2015, 07:52 PM
Good start here: http://www.teamlaw.org/PatentHowTo.htm

thanks rod ill check it out!

dazedandconfused
01-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Rod was checking it out from the website and of coarse I am confused, I seen it state this "Land cannot be taken for debt or taxes, but Real Estate can be." So my property with real estate would not be a good option here? If so is this what you are doing, do you know anyone who has been successful doing this?

rreidnauer
01-18-2015, 08:12 PM
I haven't decided whether to proceed at attempting it. I imagine it may be very difficult to find the records trail all the way back to the original grant. Probably requires hiring some sort of property lawyer and some significant cash outlay. I don't know anyone who has attempted securing a land patent. Not even sure if there is a way to know who has through public records.

eduncan911
01-19-2015, 05:50 AM
Interesting. I do have the records from back to 1940 for my property of the original "cut up.". I'll see if they call it a grant in the wording.