PDA

View Full Version : Log drying for building usage.

wheat
12-05-2014, 10:03 PM
I've seen in many places the discussion of drying logs in kilns and treating logs for log homes. Then again I've seen in places where you can construct the house with the logs and let them dry after the building is erected. I've also seen where builders just skin their logs and spray them with borax, is that a substituted method for the common builder? I plan on building a large log home in the future using the butt and pass method of building; is drying the wood required for this method considering there is no major shrinkage in the logs? Thanks

loghousenut
12-05-2014, 10:19 PM
Shrinkage of the logs is not an issue with the LHBA method. Build with green logs. You will not need a settling space above the doors and windows. You will not need screw jacks on any upright pillars. It works. I've seen it with my own eyes countless times.

You can spray with borates (borax) or not. You can stain or not. You can rack your logs and dry them for a year or two, or you can fall them, skid them, peel them, and stack them all in the same week if you are really industrious. None of it makes a difference as far as shrinkage is concerned if you are using the LHBA method.

Take the class. I did and it works.

rreidnauer
12-06-2014, 05:18 AM
^
What he said.

panderson03
12-06-2014, 05:23 AM
great questions Wheat. glad you found us!
this way of building doesn't require drying the logs:) makes things very simple!

stick around a while:)

StressMan79
12-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Logs will shrink, but walls won't...

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

Blondie
12-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Yes, that was the hardest thing for me to get into my bonnet at the time so class.....but the next morning the light dawned.

Blondie

rocklock
12-06-2014, 10:05 AM
I've seen in many places the discussion of drying logs in kilns and treating logs for log homes. Then again I've seen in places where you can construct the house with the logs and let them dry after the building is erected. I've also seen where builders just skin their logs and spray them with borax, is that a substituted method for the common builder? I plan on building a large log home in the future using the butt and pass method of building; is drying the wood required for this method considering there is no major shrinkage in the logs? Thanks

Several things need a little more comment...
We build tightly pinned Butt and Pass. We do not use oak pins as were used hundreds of years ago.
Green logs actually work better in our system. The log shrink and grab the pins to never let go.
Logs take about a long time to shrink...some say about a year an inch in radius. I think it may be a little faster, but not much.
Borax is just one of the ingredients in the borate home brew stuff which we spray our logs.
Note, a log that is not pealed will not dry. In fact it is just a sugar Popsicle which is an invite for every critter, fungus, woodpecker, bug and mold to chow down.

How large is large to you? My log home is about 2550 sqft. in a 31by31 footprint. I rarely say this but building big requires knowledge and the best place is the class...

good luck. you are in the right place for your project.

wheat
12-07-2014, 08:26 AM
I intend on building a log home around or over 4500 square feet with 2-3 stories in the house. Gotta go big in Texas.

loghousenut
12-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Go smaller. Just the opinion of one old guy.

edkemper
12-07-2014, 09:16 AM
I intend on building a log home around or over 4500 square feet with 2-3 stories in the house. Gotta go big in Texas.

Take the class and then we'll revisit this. The first thing you'll learn, don't make plans before taking the class. We all made the same mistake.

loghousenut
12-07-2014, 09:46 AM
What I meant to say was, look into the mortgage you'd have to pay to have someone else build a 4500 square foot, 3 story log house. If you can afford it that way, then you could afford it much better the LHBA way. Take the class and we'll talk you down to a slightly smaller home later. No physical limitations to that size of a place but most of us who are wanting to do it with our own hands end up with something that is "Holy Moly!!! This place is really COOL... COOOL... cooool!", instead of "Nice hotel ya got here... here... here".

Yeah, that's what I meant to say.

wheat
12-07-2014, 10:30 AM
I fully intend to take the class, just not at the moment. Just getting a rough draft of what I want in a log home for my family. Nothing is unachievable as long as you have to know how and resources to achieve it.

rocklock
12-07-2014, 01:21 PM
If you build a 40 by 40 with 3 stories and a 300 foot opening for a great room you have your 4500 sqft home... No big deal. We actually have plans for something like this... The math 1600 (40 times 40) times three minus 300 equals 4500.

Mine is more or less like that 900 times 3 minus 150...

Blondie
12-07-2014, 01:58 PM
Wheat,

What we are trying to say is that we comment your energy, drive and commitment. We all had concepts, plan ideas and plans that changed after class. Class is much more than how to put up a log wall. Before you go any further catch the class and save yourself frustration and banging your head against a log wall.

Blondie

wheat
12-07-2014, 05:52 PM
I like the idea of that; but I do understand I need this class. Unfortunately it will be a while until I manage to catch one of the classes. BUT, I fully intend on catching one.
If you build a 40 by 40 with 3 stories and a 300 foot opening for a great room you have your 4500 sqft home... No big deal. We actually have plans for something like this... The math 1600 (40 times 40) times three minus 300 equals 4500.

Mine is more or less like that 900 times 3 minus 150...