PDA

View Full Version : Change of mindset

Miles
11-11-2014, 05:54 AM
Hi my names miles, ive been browsing this site for some time and finally made the leap to becoming a member of this forum. Me and my fiance are plannjng a move south sometime in the next few years. We live just outside providence, ri and have come to the realization that although this is a great area of the country, its pace and society are not all that condusive to our happiness. We have been stuck in this mindset for some time and everyones way of thinking in this forum is refreshing. Ive done some searching looking for recommended books but a lot are outdated and not exactly what im looking for. Id like to find some books that will open my mind to living a simpler life. I heard someone mention the alpha way or something along those lines. Im starting to build my collection of DIY plumbing electrical etc books in preparation for when i get to take the class and build my log home someday. Any recommendations for these would also be greatly appreciated. Id also love to learn to live off the land. Ive been an avid fisherman and hunter my whole life but would love to learn about wild edibles and alternative gardening also. Sorry for all the rambling haha. Im overjoyed to have come across this site while looking at, please excuse me, log kit homes... Eck! Lol
Cheers, miles

blane
11-11-2014, 07:14 AM
Welcome aboard Miles. I would suggest going ahead and signing up for a class sooner rather than later because the things you will learn will help greatly as far as planing your future. I have the same dreams of being more self sufficient and have learned a lot from LHBA in that regard.
Blane

Miles
11-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Thanks blane. Im trying to get one more person on board with me for the february class. Hopefully i can get someone to come. If i dont find someone to commit by the end of this month ill most likely sign up by myself. Hopefully it doesnt fill by then. Fingers crossed. If not i will be in the next available class next year thats for sure. Were shooting for a move 1.5-3 years and everyone says the class is best to take teo years before you plan on building which would work out perfect!

jasonfromutah
11-11-2014, 07:32 AM
Take your Fiance'. That would be the best advice I could offer. You will then be both committed to this and be off to a great start.

It will be $$$$ well spent!!

Plumb Level
11-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Welcome Miles. I agree with the advice to take the class sooner rather than later...and also about taking your fiance' to the class.

Miles
11-11-2014, 07:57 AM
I mentioned it to her. Shes gave me that sorta one eye up one down look lol. She loves log homes but im slowly easing her into the idea of doing it ourselves. Shes just not sure she will be able to take the time with a possible job move coming up. Were also planning/saving for our wedding so trying to adhere to a budget. I fully understand it will be well worth it. I may actually talk to her father who is one heck of a craftsman himself who is pondering the idea of a move south when he retires. Also, My best friend who is on his way to florida soon but ultimately wants to end up mid atlantic like we want to. I just introduced the site to him and he seems very very interested.

jasonfromutah
11-11-2014, 08:09 AM
I can certainly understand that Miles.

Good luck with your process. Its a lot of hard work but well worth it. My wife loves our log home.

loghousenut
11-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Take anyone else, but be sure to take the Girl. If she doesn't like the whole idea now, she'll really not like the idea when you are wasting her life chasing this silly, impossible dream that all her friends thinks is NUTS.

Ask anyone who has built a LHBA home. They'll tell you how the world becomes an expert and the builder is doing it all wrong. I'd go so far as to say that there has never been a LHBA home constructed where 75% of the friends and family thought it was a good idea from the start. Having the retired contractor who lives next door snickering behind your back is annoying. Having the Woman you love snickering behind your back is disastrous. If she is the right one for the long haul, I really, really think you should go to class as a couple. I'd say the same thing if she were my Daughter or you were my Son.

Love, Dad

JSmith
11-11-2014, 09:02 AM
Dad is right. :) I took my wife, and it really really helps to have the boss on the same page. She acted a little bored in class but is getting the fever more and more. There is no snickering here which really helps keep the dream alive. Neither of you will regret it.

spiralsands
11-11-2014, 09:26 AM
I mentioned the book "The Alpha Strategy" but that is a book on economics, not a simpler life.

Miles
11-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Thanks pops haha
No that is the one thing i dont have to worry about is her unwavering support. She is actually the one affording us the opportunity to move because i supported her decision to go back to retail. And in 8 months in the field i cannot believe anyone has made the progress she has. Shes on an interview as i write this to manage an entire store right now. And luckily transfer is a huge option with almost any company. Im the one whose most "apprehensive" in this. Im a firefighter with a pension benefits house blah blah. Ive been groomed to the get a job, get a house, be stable etc bs. But were just not happy anymore. We both agree wed rather be "poor" and happy than stable and miserable. The raised eyebrow was not for the thought of doing it but the thought of her doing the class with me sorry i should have clarified that. But i guess you guys have a great point. Maybe i really should try and get her to do the class with me too. I havent mentioned this idea to many people but i have had mixed reviews and i can usually tell who will give me which reaction luckily im an against the grain sorta person so the behind the back snickering is no biggie. I got the same reaction when i told everyone i was getting rid of my 2012 pickup and was gona rebuild me old 1986 this summer that had been sitting for 7 years. Felt damn good when i rolled up in that bad larry. 700 total bucks a month in savings.

Btw any book suggestions? Just left the bookstore and had nothing that i was looking for. Just stuffed with self help and fictional books designed to get us away from the world we live in. I want a read that gets me mire in touch with the world around me not lends me an escape from it

Cheers, miles

rocklock
11-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Im starting to build my collection of DIY plumbing electrical etc books in preparation for when i get to take the class and build my log home someday. Any recommendations for these would also be greatly appreciated. Id also love to learn to live off the land. Ive been an avid fisherman and hunter my whole life but would love to learn about wild edibles and alternative gardening also.

One thing I have learned about collecting books is stuff changes... I mean the process that I used is different from the one that many use today. I started in this forum almost ten years ago. So several things I think are important. Don't buy any log home magazines... nothing in them will help. The amount of information that is available on the members side is truly amazing. There are many experts that are willing to share. Don't buy anything about stairs... It is covered over there....

I like your idea of getting a friend to attend the class. My wife did not go but one of my sons did. Get to the members side as soon as possible....

Plan and learn about construction, plumbing and electrical. A log home is just 4 walls that in our case, do not change. But be advise that your plans will change after the class.

When you get your land, plant your trees and berry bushes as soon as possible. I just had my first crop of plums and other fruit... It takes time.

Good luck

Miles
11-11-2014, 09:36 AM
Thanks rock, in a few weeks of reading through the articles and forums the last thing i will waste money on is anything log home related other than the class which i have quickly learned will not be a waste. I want to give myself a solid foundation in electrical, plumbing, wood work etc. so i can save even more on top of just building my log home shell. Any suggestions on series or specific books that are not completely mind numbing? I enjoy learning why not just being bombarded with how.

Shark
11-11-2014, 09:49 AM
When in doubt... Google it;) I learned many new trades that way. I agree with all the suggestions above.

loghousenut
11-11-2014, 10:07 AM
Btw any book suggestions? Just left the bookstore and had nothing that i was looking for. Just stuffed with self help and fictional books designed to get us away from the world we live in. I want a read that gets me mire in touch with the world around me not lends me an escape from it

Cheers, miles

Read Dave Ramsey.

Also the "LHBA Step by Step Forum Guide".... Available after class at the LHBA Book Store. It's worth the price of admission all by itself.

DanBlue
11-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Take anyone else, but be sure to take the Girl. If she doesn't like the whole idea now, she'll really not like the idea when you are wasting her life chasing this silly, impossible dream that all her friends thinks is NUTS.

Ask anyone who has built a LHBA home. They'll tell you how the world becomes an expert and the builder is doing it all wrong. I'd go so far as to say that there has never been a LHBA home constructed where 75% of the friends and family thought it was a good idea from the start. Having the retired contractor who lives next door snickering behind your back is annoying. Having the Woman you love snickering behind your back is disastrous. If she is the right one for the long haul, I really, really think you should go to class as a couple. I'd say the same thing if she were my Daughter or you were my Son.

Love, Dad

Well put loghousenut...My fiancé & I are both planning to attend the class in Feb. should be making the payment this week..There is NO WAY I would even take the class without her period!

BoFuller
11-11-2014, 02:29 PM
My wife is totally on board but neither one of us saw the point of her going to class. She didn't go and neither one of us regret it. My 2 cents. YMMV.

Miles
11-11-2014, 02:56 PM
Thanks for all the insight everyone. Im lucky to have such a kickass fiance. Cant wait to get over to the "other side"

Mrs. Len
11-11-2014, 03:13 PM
Hi my names miles, ive been browsing this site for some time and finally made the leap to becoming a member of this forum. Me and my fiance are plannjng a move south sometime in the next few years. We live just outside providence, ri and have come to the realization that although this is a great area of the country, its pace and society are not all that condusive to our happiness. We have been stuck in this mindset for some time and everyones way of thinking in this forum is refreshing. Ive done some searching looking for recommended books but a lot are outdated and not exactly what im looking for. Id like to find some books that will open my mind to living a simpler life. I heard someone mention the alpha way or something along those lines. Im starting to build my collection of DIY plumbing electrical etc books in preparation for when i get to take the class and build my log home someday. Any recommendations for these would also be greatly appreciated. Id also love to learn to live off the land. Ive been an avid fisherman and hunter my whole life but would love to learn about wild edibles and alternative gardening also. Sorry for all the rambling haha. Im overjoyed to have come across this site while looking at, please excuse me, log kit homes... Eck! Lol
Cheers, miles

I'll have some time to respond tonight, as Len and I do harvest some wild edibles, have grown our own fruits/veggies, fish, crab, shrimp, dig clams, harvest oysters, pick wild mushrooms, and Len hunts a bit. I have taught gardening classes covering alternative methods, can recommend probably the best books on any topic about gardening. Our last garden area was 3,000 sq ft of raised beds + a fruit orchard. We are currently starting over, but moved 11 of our fruit trees (only one was a few years old, the rest were up to 10 and older (semi dwarf, and a couple dwarf). We also moved our chickens; we have them for their eggs, but plan to raise some meat chickens next year. I'd like to raise turkeys. I just canned 11 pints of Shaggy Parasol Mushrooms, 2 qts and 2 pints of Liberty Applesauce, and will be canning more apples & sauce tonight. I can, dehydrate, and do some fermenting, make my own Kefir, as well. Yes, you should sign up for the class ASAP (Len and I are going)!

Miles
11-11-2014, 04:34 PM
Thanks mrs len! I gota say i was waiting for you to chime in haha. Ive seen quite a few of your posts about things on this topic. I think its so awesome how resourceful you guys are. I grew up on whats called hundred acre cove and although i didnt realize it at the time we were very resourceful growing up. We harvested fish, quahogs, clams, lobster duck and goose hunted. Unfortunately all the shellfishing is done there due to pollution. Now besides hunting and wetting a line as a pleasure/escape ive strayed away from much of this with the hustle and bustle of daily life and "growing up". Im so excited to have found this and pray that we can actually realize our dreams and get outa here to live a simpler life.

Ive done a whole lot of soul searching lately. Ive attained what everyone sees as "the goal" around here at a very young age. Got my dream job, nice new shiny truck, a house and best of all my fiance. Ive made it to everyones end goal and my life feels quite hollow. Like im working to live and not living at all. I recently had a very close call at work and was one step away from cashing the big check. You never know what could happen so we have the opportunity to do this while were young and why the hell not right!?

edkemper
11-11-2014, 05:57 PM
Miles,

The goal in life? A supportive wife/family. A house and all the toys you need and debt free. The freedom in that is what life is about. Easier to see the older you get.

Miles
11-11-2014, 06:26 PM
I may be a young buck-27 but i think im starting to figure this out. Debt freedom and most importantly personal freedom is a very tall order in the southern parts of the northeast where i live. Thats why im looking to move south, and finding this site and becoming involved is a big leap toward that goal i think.

Mrs. Len
11-11-2014, 09:14 PM
Thanks mrs len! I gota say i was waiting for you to chime in haha. Ive seen quite a few of your posts about things on this topic. I think its so awesome how resourceful you guys are. I grew up on whats called hundred acre cove and although i didnt realize it at the time we were very resourceful growing up. We harvested fish, quahogs, clams, lobster duck and goose hunted. Unfortunately all the shellfishing is done there due to pollution. Now besides hunting and wetting a line as a pleasure/escape ive strayed away from much of this with the hustle and bustle of daily life and "growing up". Im so excited to have found this and pray that we can actually realize our dreams and get outa here to live a simpler life.

Ive done a whole lot of soul searching lately. Ive attained what everyone sees as "the goal" around here at a very young age. Got my dream job, nice new shiny truck, a house and best of all my fiance. Ive made it to everyones end goal and my life feels quite hollow. Like im working to live and not living at all. I recently had a very close call at work and was one step away from cashing the big check. You never know what could happen so we have the opportunity to do this while were young and why the hell not right!?

Absolutely, go for it! Life is too short not to :cool: What would you like to know about, first? I could actually write a book, lol, due to the many years of experience doing so many different things. There is nothing to describe the feeling of picking fruit off a tree that you planted yourself, cared for, and are now reaping the benefit of. The same goes for harvesting anything off your own property, chopping your own wood, logging your own trees, and that list goes on and on. Since I canned over 400 jars of food last year, I can just grab a jar of crab, venison, etc.., makes for a faster meal. Before, when I had my garden going, I seldom had to shop for anything. Speaking of mushrooms, I just wrote a short blog article about a few mushroom varieties:

http://www.sequimforlife.com/

You can always check back to see what I have written, as I will be covering a variety of topics, including plenty related to self-sustaining.

blane
11-12-2014, 05:27 AM
My wife may be unique on this point. She found the LHBA web site and showed it to me after a disappointing trip to a kit home manufacturer, she knew I was the one that wanted to have a log home, she would just be happy to see me have what I wanted. So she advised me to take my son since he would be the one helping me. She never bucked anything I decided and left everything up to me. she was my biggest cheerleader. The only thing she insisted on that I didn't want to do was sanding and staining but she says if we ever do another one she will listen to me.

Plumb Level
11-12-2014, 07:50 AM
" I'd say the same thing if she were my Daughter or you were my Son.

Love, Dad"

And the family tree keeps sprouting new branches.

Shark
11-12-2014, 08:49 AM
Read Dave Ramsey.

This.
We cut out most of the *un-needed* stuff during our build (cable tv, eating out etc) , and although we used a good chunk of savings, we ended up mortgage-free and had a log home to live in. Guess what, it is *Amazing* how fast you an rebuild a savings account when you do not have a mortgage payment. seriously.

Miles
11-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Any suggestions on a book to build my foundation on foraging mrs. Len? Or a good sustainable living iintro type book?
I was at the used bookstore quick today before work and found i think what was called the last real man or something to that effect. I didnt see a dave ramsey book but i was only in there for a few minutes. Gona swing back by tomorrow if i dont have to work overtime

slamasha
11-12-2014, 11:54 PM
Hey Miles. There is a lot of info on the internet.

Regarding the sustained gardening, here are a few pointers to get you inspired. It is about new approaches that are creating self-balancing echo-systems which boost production of food yet reduce the amount of maintenance:
1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_FkRehjsTM
http://www.geofflawton.com/fe/46743-5-acre-abundance-on-a-budget
(subscribe, it's free) -- tons of information to digest;
2) http://www.backtoedenfilm.com/
3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IbODJiEM5A
Keep digging, you'll find lots of relevant info.

Regarding foraging, this book (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1594850860?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creativeASIN=1594850860&linkCode=xm2&tag=httpfatofthel-20) (and the blog (http://fat-of-the-land.blogspot.com/)) was interesting to read, but I am not sure you'll be able to find it in the used bookstore. Sometimes authors of such books give talks in small bookstores (I met the author of this book at mycology society event).

Just a gentle set for Mindset shifting (within self-sustained and minimalist living context):
1) https://sites.google.com/site/livingwithoutmoney/
2) http://zenhabits.net/archives/
3) http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/214614.Desert_Solitaire
4) the classics:
http://thoreau.eserver.org/walden00.html
5) http://www.amazon.com/How-Survive-Without-Salary-Conserver/dp/1895629683
6) maybe outdated, but inspiring about mortgage free (http://www.amazon.com/Mortgage-Free-Innovative-Strategies-Debt-Free/dp/1603580654/ref=dp_ob_title_bk)

Once you start exploring I am sure you'll find more relevant information that fits your particular interest. Good luck!

+= motherearthnews.com

Mrs. Len
11-13-2014, 12:35 AM
Any suggestions on a book to build my foundation on foraging mrs. Len? Or a good sustainable living iintro type book?
I was at the used bookstore quick today before work and found i think what was called the last real man or something to that effect. I didnt see a dave ramsey book but i was only in there for a few minutes. Gona swing back by tomorrow if i dont have to work overtime

There are numerous books covering both topics. Where do you plan to live? The USDA Zone and climate determines a lot (books are applicable for different parts of our Country). My favorite mushroom resources are both written by the same Author, "All That the Rain Promises and More," by David Arora. He has also written, "Mushrooms Demystified." David does an excellent job at simplifying identification. Most places I have lived have mycology societies.

As for "Back to Eden," I have not only met Paul Gautschi, taken his tour, but live 15 minutes away from him! In addition, I began using his methods 4 years ago with great results. I have also studied Permaculture and can recommend the best book I feel fits the climate. My gardening is a combination of multiple methods, is done organically, and also utilizes companion planting. I also grow edible perennials. I enjoy watching YouTube videos, but also like to read from books.

Mrs. Len
11-13-2014, 10:40 PM
One of my favorite self-sustaining books is not a new one, but is, "Back to Basics," by Reader's Digest. There are newer issues of this book and I'd recommend it highly. Another one, more basic and newer, is, "Self-Sufficiency," By Gehring.

As for Wild Edibles, the best books cover different parts of the Country. I just need to know which City/State you are planning to live in.

If you like surfing the net, check out: http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/

There is a literal plethora of info on that site!

Miles
11-14-2014, 05:30 AM
Thanks slamosha and mrs len. Sorry work, around the house stuff and havin my nose stuck in "the last american man" have kept me away from the site for a few days. I had become overwhelmed searching for this stuff on the internet thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction. These recommemdations are perfect! Btw i live in rhode island right now and we dont really know yet where were gona end up. Were hoping somewhere in the carolinas. Id like to try out some of this stuff up here so it will be easier to adapt it when we do move. Ive talked to a few neighbors recently who are up for trading vegetables. Id rather not grow the run of the mill market selection but have some out of the ordinary things to bring to the table. Im tired of the same ol squash, peppers, tomatoes and corn that everrryone grows here

Blondie
11-14-2014, 09:10 AM
Miles,

Check out "Johnny's Select Seeds" great selection of the same old stuff.

Blondie

Mosseyme
11-14-2014, 05:57 PM
Miles,
Come on down to the Carolina's. It is a great place to do most of the things you want. WNC is some of the most beautiful country in this country and milder weather than some of the other beautiful area's. We are close to the Cherohala skyway and recently while driving it we stopped at a scenic overlook. There was one of those info signs there that told about the Southern Appalachia mountain cove. Stated that these coves and valleys are the single most ecologically diverse places on this planet except the Amazon basin. I totally believe that. Someday soon I intend to do a project with my grandkids to have them take a 20'x20' or whatever area beside the creek and start combing through it and see how many different kinds of plants they can find. I never cease to be amazed by the vegetation and tiny animals we come across. Glad to see someone so young become wise so early. Lots of tracks to more wisdom on the other side.

Miles
11-15-2014, 11:46 AM
That sounds so cool moss. We visited the statesville area this spring its beautiful. It felt like we were in a whole different country altogether. Everyone was so nice! We want to visit the western part of nc next time we get the chance to go down. Id love to be able to hang my hat up there someday haha