PDA

View Full Version : Log stain/sealer

Milt
11-05-2014, 05:17 AM
I am looking for opinions/reviews on log stains and sealers. I am in New Mexico, so it is hot and relatively dry. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best stain/sealer? Is there a stain that is an effective sealer in one, or is it best to stain and then seal separately? All suggestions are welcome!
Thanks,
Milt

StressMan79
11-05-2014, 12:14 PM
Dunno about it from experience, but, I hear good things about Sashco.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Forum Runner

Readyman Dan
11-27-2014, 10:30 PM
There seems to be quite a concern among members and would-be log home builders here about log finishes. After reading the forums and listening to opinions of members and what Skip would have said, it sounds like it really does'nt matter how you finish them off. Stain, no stain, sealer, no sealer, light, dark, glossy, flat, do nothing at all (except borate) whatever YOU want. + or - some considerations. The real issue of preserving / maintaining the logs seems to be more centered around keeping them covered really well with big overhanging eaves and roof lines, wrap- around porches and such. Also, keeping your bottom course of logs high off the ground away from rain splash, snow, bugs, plants, moss or whatever. I think I read here that the min is 18 inches but I will probably try to go at least twice that when I build. Also, I have recently adopted a different thought on the logs. I used to worry about how I was going to preserve that fresh bright wood color throughout the life of the home. But check this out. What about just going for that greyish silver oxidized / weathered look. It is the natural course of most wood structures that have not been constantly maintained. It seems to go well with the Rustic nature of a log building, and in my wierd opinion, looks pretty good. Anyway, there are some people online with some pictures of some projects they have done with this type of stain made with steel wool and vinegar. it gives the wood a really grey oxidized look. Anyone tried this on their logs?

BoFuller
11-28-2014, 06:10 AM
LHN is now the official expert on stain and sealers. He held out for awhile, but eventually drifted to the dark side. :)

bklynscottloehr
11-30-2014, 05:29 PM
So why hasn't LHN replied?? We need answers!

loghousenut
11-30-2014, 06:17 PM
So why hasn't LHN replied?? We need answers!<br/>

Because Dan the Readyman did a perfect job of explaining it all. I still like the way Skip did it and I like the grey logs. I also like sleeping with the Boss and I'll admit that the stain on our place really made the place come alive. We used TimberPro.

Don't know a thing about that vinegar x steel wool idea. This staining/LHBA thing is still a new idea. We'll see how the chips eventually fall.

PPG Madison, WI
04-20-2015, 05:21 AM
The Sikkens line is a great product. The Log & Siding is a multi-coat system for vertical surfaces that leaves a satin finish on the wood. As it starts to show wear over time, there are 2 routes you can go: another coat of L & S or a coat of Maintenance RE. The L & S has color while the Maintenance RE is a clear. The line is designed to adhere to itself, so no more peeling stain and no more sanding down to bare wood to re-coat. Just clean and apply. The DEK Finish is a similar product, but made for decks. They are pricey products, but worth the cost!

[spam from ppgpaints.com. ToS violation (http://www.buildloghomes.org/forum-guidelines-and-terms-service) #11, 19 and 30]

rocklock
04-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Don't know a thing about that vinegar x steel wool idea.

Acid and steel wool is an old stain used in very old guns and new gun that want to look old... I can give many references and pictures of using this stain. It is very dark using strong acid, hence vinegar would be some what less. I would not use something like this unless I made a large batch to cover the entire home with one coat, cause each batch will be different...I know. I actually have a recipe if anyone wants... using nitric acid... It is fast and dangerous...