PDA

View Full Version : Is a dump truck helpful for building?

DanS
05-29-2014, 05:13 PM
...I do believe it is.

Especially since the cost of delivery up here is pretty astronomical. $6.36 a ton for road base, or $6.36 for base, and another ~$50 for delivery.

Nuts to that, we said.

1965 International 210D 4WD, 6-7 yard bed, and a 10 foot plow blade.

Of course, it doubles as a snow plow, which is sort of a big deal for our property. I think this truck can plow through a few feet of snow going up our hill, if we were so inclined!

Very pleased with it so far. I haven't done any hauling with it yet, but I drove it home (sometimes even a highway speed) and it's been up and around on the property tinkering, just trying to figure out what the most pressing jobs are for it, and what maintenance I might want to do before we get too busy during the summer.

By my math, the truck will have paid for itself on the 11th or 12th load of base or gravel.

Dan

PS--to the other Clear Creek residents here, don't hesitate to ask if you need a load of stuff hauled in it ;)

PeeCee
05-29-2014, 05:35 PM
How can a dump truck not be helpful. A dump truck is near the top of my "want really bad" list. That and a little excavator that fits in the bed.

oldtrapper
05-29-2014, 06:40 PM
Cool truck, I'm sure it's been around long enough to have a name. ;-{>8

BoFuller
05-29-2014, 07:02 PM
A dump truck was about the first thing I bought. Can't even begin to count how many loads of road base I hauled for my drive. Paid for itself in less than 6 months.

loghousenut
05-29-2014, 07:53 PM
That ole Cornbinder was running way back when I was a truck driver! Good lookin ole truck. What engine and trans?

A fellow could put a winch on the front of it and make up a log A frame boom and you wouldn't need a telehandler. The right boom setup could be taken off or put back on in 15 minutes.

There are ways of using the bed hydraulics to raise and lower the boom but you almost need a death wish to run it.

DanS
05-29-2014, 09:49 PM
That ole Cornbinder was running way back when I was a truck driver! Good lookin ole truck. What engine and trans?

Cummins NH-180 that CDOT installed a turbo on long ago, and a 10 Speed Road Ranger.

A fellow could put a winch on the front of it and make up a log A frame boom and you wouldn't need a telehandler. The right boom setup could be taken off or put back on in 15 minutes.

There are ways of using the bed hydraulics to raise and lower the boom but you almost need a death wish to run it.

...I was thinking exactly the same. In fact, it's got a wet kit and unused set of hydraulics already, so really it would be just welding together the boom, and attaching my spare winch (because I'm the kind of guy who just happens to have an unused Ramsey 8000 sitting around, because it was a good deal at one time or another)....

I'm going to have to do some thinking. Because if I can get this truck to do the lifting (instead of buying a crane or telehandler) then that equals savings, right? Besides, I keep winning crane auctions on Ironplanet, but never hit the reserve. Someday that guy in Wyoming is going to realize that I'm the only game in town for his P&H... ;) Much easier to just get it done with the truck, since one of those things should be useful once the house is built, and the other one would just be incredibly cool, but mostly useless.

Dan

loghousenut
05-30-2014, 12:04 AM
I'll bet you paid less than the plow is worth. Does it start up OK without ether?

I see the demise of our dependence on the telehandler and the emergence of the LHBA boom truck era.

DanS
05-30-2014, 05:51 AM
I'll bet you paid less than the plow is worth. Does it start up OK without ether?

Yep. At least so far, I'm sure in the winter it will need a cocktail to get going. It's got a quick start ether system installed though, which is pretty slick (an ether can with a manual valve that shoots it into the intake) so we won't have to carry around loose cans of ether on the cold mornings.

I see the demise of our dependence on the telehandler and the emergence of the LHBA boom truck era.

I like the idea of the crane mostly because it can stay in one spot and lift everything onto the house, as opposed to driving all around it lifting logs (like this truck with a gin pole, or a tele handler would require). But in the end I like saving money more, so if I can figure out a solid gin pole for the front of this thing, then I'm thinking we will do that.

Dan

loghousenut
05-30-2014, 09:59 AM
A thousand years ago I was on the road, driving another fellows tractor-trailer rig. It was the middle of Texas winter so all the windows were rolled up. He had all kinds of junk rolling around in the cab and I hit one of those potholes that really bottom out an air seat and caught a full can of ether under the seat and popped a big hole in it. You know, it doesn't take long to stop one of those trucks when you're motivated.

PeeCee
05-30-2014, 01:23 PM
I'm sure in the winter it will need a cocktail to get going.

It sounds like your truck may have a drinking problem.

rreidnauer
05-30-2014, 05:34 PM
I sometimes need a cocktail to get going in the Winter.

DanS
05-31-2014, 08:44 AM
Well, it may not be alcoholic, but it does have a diesel addiction. I doubt I will ever want to figure out what sort of mileage it gets. ;)

Dan

loghousenut
05-31-2014, 11:31 AM
Power steering?

DanS
05-31-2014, 09:01 PM
Power steering?

Yes.

But, at some point the factory PS pump must have failed, because it got replumbed into the hydraulic system. Which works well enough, but I'm on the hunt for a replacement PS system (just to keep them separate)

Dan

loghousenut
06-01-2014, 08:33 AM
That means the PTO has to be engaged any time you steer the truck. Fine for Kansas, but you have a curve or two in your roads.

DanS
06-01-2014, 06:13 PM
That means the PTO has to be engaged any time you steer the truck. Fine for Kansas, but you have a curve or two in your roads.

Interestingly enough, the hydraulic system is belt driven, not PTO. So that the hydraulics are always engaged, for the plow.

One of the little jobs I'm intending to take care of is to put the Power Steering back onto a dedicated pump that's geared a bit better so that it makes more pressure when the engine is at idle. That would also give me the option of changing to a PTO pump if I wanted. That's how the truck was originally, with a PS pump, to the PS gearbox, and a PS cooler inside the fan shroud.

Dan

rckclmbr428
06-06-2014, 03:32 AM
My experience is about half way into converting it all back you'll realize why the converted it to the way it is now, and will be sitting with it half apart saying "do i put it back the way it was, or the way it is..."

loghousenut
06-06-2014, 09:05 AM
My experience is about half way into converting it all back you'll realize why the converted it to the way it is now, and will be sitting with it half apart saying "do i put it back the way it was, or the way it is..."

I was thinking that, but thought it might just be the way my life happens so I didn't post it. I was thinking maybe they cobbled it up to solve a weakness.

DanS
06-10-2014, 02:48 PM

I was thinking that, but thought it might just be the way my life happens so I didn't post it. I was thinking maybe they cobbled it up to solve a weakness.

Definitely could be.

But further research tells me that the PS pump should be putting out ~2100psi, and the hydraulic system is only putting out about 200psi at idle.

Also, the PS lines were tapped into the rear wet lines, I imagine because they were convenient (and otherwise unused).

Dan

Septemberwheat
06-23-2014, 06:50 PM
What's wrong with a dump trailer?

loghousenut
06-23-2014, 07:30 PM
I love my dump trailer. I turned the old '81 Dodge 1/2 ton into a dump truck and used it that way for years. Finally it stopped being a truck so Jake cut the frame and welded up a trailer tongue. It's been 7 or 8 years now and, as long as I have a Suburban and the trailer, I don't miss the truck.

Even little tasks like hosing out the bed are easier if it dumps.

Mosseyme
06-24-2014, 05:29 AM
A dump trailer would have been mostly useless in these mountains. The extra length would have always been an issue on getting it anywhere you wanted it. We have a ford f 150 with a dump bed and it worked well until it didn't work at all. Have had multiple people try to figure out how to get it to start and nothing seemed to work.

Septemberwheat
06-24-2014, 08:23 AM
I have a 14,000 lb 16 foot dump trailer and it's indispensable on my farm...
Now I understand farming and building are different, but resale value, longevity, and cost make a great argument for a dump trailer. If your driveway is too tight, bust out the chainsaw?

loghousenut
06-24-2014, 11:37 AM
I own several trailers. I have never taken any of them anywhere they wouldn't go.

PS.... Nice thing about a trailer is that dragging a load does not tear up a truck as much as hauling it. Sounds funny but trucks get older faster if you overload them and you always overload them. A trailer seems to last as long as you can reweld it back together and you never really care if it rattles a bit or if the doors close right. My Suburban is still tight and relatively fresh feeling with 306,000 miles. The old Dodge truck was getting pretty ratty toward the end and they have both dragged a near infinite number of full loads down the road.

Bad thing about a trailer is that sometimes when you need it, you don't have it with you. All in all, a trailer is almost a replacement for a truck and I like a good dump trailer especially.

edkemper
06-25-2014, 01:58 PM
I have a 14 ft gooseneck dump trailer and I love it. In fact I have 4 different types of trailers and am repeatedly happy I have each one.

DanS
02-19-2015, 04:26 PM
We got about two feet of snow a couple days ago, of course I was out of town for work, so I came home to some pretty crusty and drifted snow going up to the property.

Dump truck to the rescue!

It could easily push more snow than this. It's pretty awesome being able to push that much snow around.

Dan

loghousenut
02-19-2015, 08:10 PM
I covet that thing.

edkemper
02-19-2015, 08:47 PM
Very cool Twuck.

stamic55
02-20-2015, 05:29 AM
I have truck envy

rreidnauer
02-20-2015, 09:48 AM
Yea, an old dump is nice to have around at times. My '75 GMC isn't pretty, but it works. Paid $900 for it. Title says it's something like 18,000 pounds GVWR, but the data tag in the glovebox indicates it's 32,000 pounds! Humorous part is the standard equipment 350 engine as indicated on the data tag. Can you say severely underpowered?

http://i1169.photobucket.com/albums/r519/Liberty_Acres/2013-07-18123631.jpg

loghousenut
02-20-2015, 10:43 AM
I like it Rod. Makes me wish I lived somewhere where the icicles was so long that I had to wear salty pantyhose and the roads was slick enough for rusty car salt.

DanS
02-20-2015, 06:54 PM
The forecast looks like tomorrow afternoon the snow will start. For a couple days.

I should get home on monday night. If all goes according to plan, I can play Mr. Plow on tuesday. Should be fun!

Dan

rckclmbr428
02-21-2015, 02:56 AM
Mr. Plow that's my name, that name again is Mr. Plow!

stamic55
02-21-2015, 02:58 AM
Homer simpson, see it on youtube

DanS
02-21-2015, 02:16 PM
Mr. Plow that's my name, that name again is Mr. Plow!

Homer simpson, see it on youtube

Glad you guys caught it.

It's a shame that I can't find Mr. Plow magnets to put on my doors. I'd buy a set of those in a heartbeat!

Dan

rckclmbr428
02-21-2015, 03:40 PM
To be honest, your truck looks more like the plow kings...
http://www.vistaprint.com/car-door-magnets.aspx?couponAutoload=1&GP=2%2f21%2f2015+7%3a39%3a21+PM&GPS=3438274942&GNF=0

DanS
03-01-2015, 07:40 AM
To be honest, your truck looks more like the plow kings...
http://www.vistaprint.com/car-door-magnets.aspx?couponAutoload=1&GP=2%2f21%2f2015+7%3a39%3a21+PM&GPS=3438274942&GNF=0

Man, that's cheap enough I just might have to make this happen. ;)

Maybe Mr. Plow on one side, and Plow King on the other. See if anyone notices.

Dan