PDA

View Full Version : vegas

logmike
05-19-2014, 01:13 PM
leaving tomorrow for vegas with family. very excited.my 11 year old son who is taking class with me is just as excited. staying at mirage. looking forward to chatting on the members side when we get home.

Shark
05-19-2014, 05:58 PM
Have fun, and pay attention :)

panderson03
05-20-2014, 06:40 PM
have a safe trip, logmike and son! welcome to the family:)

loghousenut
05-21-2014, 08:13 AM
Mike, That kid of yours is one day gonna be the old timer who brags about taking the class from the much renouned Ellsworth and Steve way back when you actually went to class and sat through two grueling days without a single neurotransplant.

I can almost hear him now...
"Back in the day, we used to build our log homes by HAND! We actually had to lift our rebar pounder by hand and strap the log to the telehandler manually. Close your close your eyes and I'll transfer some neuroimages."

You folks have a good time and enjoy the class.

localfiend
05-21-2014, 10:00 AM
I'll actually be in Vegas this weekend and all next week visiting family. Maybe I'll drop by Harrah's at lunch the first day to say hello and laugh at everyone's glazed over confused faces. Stopping by the last day wouldn't be as entertaining, you'll all have it figured out and be ready to build by then. :cool:

Have fun.

logmike
05-25-2014, 09:38 PM
Just finished the class. Everything was great. Steve and Ellsworth did a great job.my son and I have a lot to look forward to.What did we get ourselves into;) lol

edkemper
05-26-2014, 06:05 AM
Logmike,

The fun has just started. Wait till you get on the member's side. Bring your party hat and your pajamas.

rreidnauer
05-26-2014, 07:41 AM
Just finished the class. Everything was great. Steve and Ellsworth did a great job.my son and I have a lot to look forward to.What did we get ourselves into;) lolYea, I could see Ellsworth wearing a pair of small, round lense sunglasses, holding out a red and blue pill.

btwalls
05-26-2014, 07:47 AM
Just finished the class. Everything was great. Steve and Ellsworth did a great job.my son and I have a lot to look forward to.What did we get ourselves into lol

There have been more than a few times I have wondered the same thing. I still love working on the home and now that the roof is done if feels a lot better

loghousenut
05-26-2014, 09:42 AM
Yup, just take the medicine and join the rest of us here in reality. Welcome aboard all of you newbies... May this be an end to the goofy questions and the beginning to the real questions over on the member's side.

loghousenut
05-26-2014, 09:45 AM
Yup, just take the medicine and join the rest of us here in reality. Welcome aboard all of you newbies... May this be an end to the goofy questions and the beginning to the real questions over on the member's side.

I didn't mean that post to sound offensive. I suspect that our newest recruits understand my intention fully. I look forward to watching you all get your CO (certificate of occupancy) before I do.

skitter12
05-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Nut, you would be proud of us! The entire class stayed til the bitter end on Sunday evening. LogMike's son hung in there for all 10 rounds! What a great time! Elsworth and Steve were great, answered all questions patiently, no matter how stupid my questions were. errr, I mean, how stupid the class' questions were..... Yeah, that sounds better in my head, so I'm going with that.....

btw Nut, your name came up on several discussions, as well and other lhba members. You guys are legends, ya know!

rreidnauer
05-26-2014, 04:27 PM
'Nut was a legend before he was even known. (mighta been an urban legend, but legend none-the-less) ;)

skitter12
05-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Rod, you are a legend too. Elsworth and Steve mentioned you multiple times. I've been looking through the members section and all I can say, is HOLY COW! OVERLOAD!!!!!

loghousenut
05-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Nut, you would be proud of us! The entire class stayed til the bitter end on Sunday evening. LogMike's son hung in there for all 10 rounds! What a great time! Elsworth and Steve were great, answered all questions patiently, no matter how stupid my questions were. errr, I mean, how stupid the class' questions were..... Yeah, that sounds better in my head, so I'm going with that.....

btw Nut, your name came up on several discussions, as well and other lhba members. You guys are legends, ya know!

I just wish my reputation wasn't attached to my record. There's nothing worse than being introduced to someone who already knows your flaws.

Glad it was a good class. Sometimes those teachers can be kinda boring, but the right student body can usually keep them on the proper tack.

HHHahhhaahhaaaw

CHEVROLET6010
05-26-2014, 08:19 PM
Hope you made it home all right Logmike, enjoyed visiting with you and your son, and everyone else in class . I cant wait to start my build!!

blane
05-27-2014, 10:07 AM
leaving tomorrow for vegas with family. very excited.my 11 year old son who is taking class with me is just as excited. staying at mirage. looking forward to chatting on the members side when we get home.

Logmike,
My son and I took the class in WA together when he was 16. He is 21 now and we just moved into our place this Christmas. I can't count the times I was glad his young mind was in the class with me! I could not have done it without him.

logmike
05-27-2014, 11:47 AM
I think I will be in the same boat. Your place looks great

loghousenut
05-27-2014, 01:40 PM
This one sure grew up a lot on our build. Mike, I hope your build does as much for your Boy.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/P1020912.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/Wow/P1020912.jpg.html)

eagle
05-27-2014, 03:04 PM
I envy those with a son to help with the journey, I have 3 step sons, mostly already grown by the time I came around, but it doesn't look like any of them have any interest or time. I'll have to adopt a young teenager for my help...

ivanshayka
05-28-2014, 04:38 AM
I envy those with a son to help with the journey, I have 3 step sons, mostly already grown by the time I came around, but it doesn't look like any of them have any interest or time. I'll have to adopt a young teenager for my help...

Then u can turn him back in after the build. :)

Just kidding. I think adoption is awesome. There are millions of people who's life got changed for better because of adoption. I have family members who were adopted, neat story.

John W
05-28-2014, 04:43 AM
Hmmm. 16 year old male foster kids. A crew of four. Perfect. But then, you'll have four 16 year old boys to feed. Might be cheaper just to hire people. Okay, well, scratch that plan too.

blane
05-28-2014, 06:48 AM
Ha, my 5 year old adopted son eats more than I do.

skitter12
05-28-2014, 07:05 AM
Blane, you have a great looking family. I've been following you and your family's exploits of "The Simple Life" for a couple of years now, your place looks fantastic!

Ellsworth
05-28-2014, 10:28 AM

You would have been proud of this group of folks, they were sharp as tacks. Here's an example how both you and Rod's names came up.

We viewed the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR-WGw2ZWvs) you posted a week or so ago. I asked the group "so what the most dangerous moment during the cut?" From the back of the room one gentleman said "Right when it looked like the guy was about to start a plunge cut!" Correct answer ;) It's actually more dangerous than that, because the guy in the video isn't attempting to use the proper boring cut technique when it looks as if he's going to start a plunge cut.

I don't mean to knock the guy in the vid, risk assessment is a personal choice. Mainly i was worried someone would go home, see that vid and give it a try while not understanding why it's generally a bad idea. In other words, there are a lot of standard practices in the kit and handcrafted industry that are not well suited to the LHBA approach.

There are several ways to make that cut in a much safer manner. Rod hit on a common one (treating it like pruning a limb), which led to the advice "yeah when you see some crazy idea posted on the forum, wait till Rod comments on it and his reply will probably be spot on." (That wasn't meant to detract from all the other forum members who give great feedback and advice).

BTW It was great to have logmike's son in class. He was a champ. Well behaved, attentive, and seemed to soak up the info with ease. All that at age 11!

Matthew, the fellow who got a little alarmed (http://community.loghomebuilders.org/showthread.php?11503-Why-is-the-LHBA-method-the-best-way-to-build-a-log-home&p=103544&viewfull=1#post103544) the week before the class took the risk and flew to Vegas. We chatted a few times during breaks and he was a nice young man with a good head on his shoulders. I forgot to thank him in person for taking the leap of faith, so here it is now, "Thanks Matthew!"

It also felt fantastic to be helping some well deserving military members with our free membership for Vets program. Several attended, one of whom was active duty Marine Staff Sargent Wilson. He's doing some exciting work during his down time to help Veterans, you can read about it on our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/loghomeassociation).

A big welcome to all the new members and thank you for attending the class. And a big thanks to all the forum members who roll out the welcome mat for the newbies.

PS: that adoption idea is intriguing :D How do you all deal with the emotional roller coaster of fosterings that don't lead to adoption. I always imagined it would be heartbreaking to accept a foster child in hopes of adoption, only to have it fall through after 3 to 6 months. What keeps you going after that happens a few times?

blane
05-28-2014, 10:51 AM
You would have been proud of this group of folks, they were sharp as tacks. Here's an example how both you and Rod's names came up.

We viewed the video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR-WGw2ZWvs) you posted a week or so ago. I asked the group "so what the most dangerous moment during the cut?" From the back of the room one gentleman said "Right when it looked like the guy was about to start a plunge cut!" Correct answer ;) It's actually more dangerous than that, because the guy in the video isn't attempting to use the proper boring cut technique when it looks as if he's going to start a plunge cut.

I don't mean to knock the guy in the vid, risk assessment is a personal choice. Mainly i was worried someone would go home, see that vid and give it a try while not understanding why it's generally a bad idea. In other words, there are a lot of standard practices in the kit and handcrafted industry that are not well suited to the LHBA approach.

There are several ways to make that cut in a much safer manner. Rod hit on a common one (treating it like pruning a limb), which led to the advice "yeah when you see some crazy idea posted on the forum, wait till Rod comments on it and his reply will probably be spot on." (That wasn't meant to detract from all the other forum members who give great feedback and advice).

BTW It was great to have logmike's son in class. He was a champ. Well behaved, attentive, and seemed to soak up the info with ease. All that at age 11!

Mathew, the fellow who got a little alarmed (http://community.loghomebuilders.org/showthread.php?11503-Why-is-the-LHBA-method-the-best-way-to-build-a-log-home&p=103544&viewfull=1#post103544) the week before the class took the risk and flew to Vegas. We chatted a few times during breaks and he was a nice young man with a good head on his shoulders. I forgot to thank him in person for taking the leap of faith, so here it is now, "Thanks Mathew!"

It also felt fantastic to be helping some well deserving military members with our free membership for Vets program. Several attended, one of whom was active duty Marine Staff Sargent Wilson stationed in SLC. He's doing some exciting work during his down time to help Veterans, you can read about it on our facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/loghomeassociation).

A big welcome to all the new members and thank you for attending the class. And a big thanks to all the forum members who roll out the welcome mat for the newbies.

PS: that adoption idea is intriguing :D How do you all deal with the emotional roller coaster of fosterings that don't lead to adoption. I always imagined it would be heartbreaking to accept a foster child in hopes of adoption, only to have it fall through after 3 to 6 months. What keeps you going after that happens a few times?

Well, it can be quite the roller coaster ride indeed. Our oldest child that we adopted came home at birth and we never knew with any certainty that we would be able to adopt her until about a month before it actually went through. She was three years old before she was adopted.
Since we had paternal children that we had to be concerned for we only took in infants and of the 5 foster children we had we were blessed to adopt 3 of them. Now that we are settled into our home we are praying about doing it again. The only way to foster infants to adopt though is typically medically fragile children, ie drug babies or extreme abuse. My 5 year old boy was born at 24 weeks as result of a failed self abort. He weighed1.5 pounds at birth and was on oxygen for about 1.5 years. And to think he can eat more than me.
There is a great need for these little ones to have a family that will love and nurture them no matter the outcome as to adoption.

John W
05-29-2014, 06:20 AM
Whenever I felt overwhelmed by my (mostly) healthy kids, I remembered one of my AF buddies. He had three of his own, then he and his wife adopted three kids, all with health issues. He missed at least one day a week with one or another of them. Many, many overnights in the ER and hospital stays. What an amazing couple. Glad there are people like that, and Blane too, in the world, to bring in and love them as much as their own.

loghousenut
06-01-2014, 08:58 AM

My Dad used to say that being a bad example is better than being no example at all. I have the scars to prove I was listening to him. Nobody in my family dies pretty.