PDA

View Full Version : Cabin building questions

Ken Guzman
05-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Hi, all. I live in Ada, Oklahoma and I am wanting to build a small log hunting cabin on some land owned by my family. So here are my main questions;
1) how hard would it be to build a cabin out of oak?
2) how long do the logs need to dry?

that should be good to start with. Thanks!

btwalls
05-05-2014, 08:54 PM
1)Depends on how straight they are and what style you use to build. I am on west coast and building with doug fir so have no experience with oak. Maybe someone else can answer that.
2)If you do a butt and pass no dry time is needed. One of the many advantages to the style that is build after taking the class and discussed on the forum.

Ken Guzman
05-06-2014, 04:10 AM
Why don't you need to dry them with butt and pass vs. any other way?

panderson03
05-06-2014, 04:48 AM
good morning Ken. welcome!
when you build our way (Skips tightly pinned butt and pass) the logs shrink toward there centers but the walls don't lose any height because of all the 'pinning'.

glad you found us

Ken Guzman
05-06-2014, 05:54 AM
Glad to be here!

I was reading another post on here and some one was saying that logs don't shrink much lengthwise, but in diameter. If that's true, won't my walls develop gaps regardless of how much pinning I do?

blane
05-06-2014, 06:09 AM
Glad to be here!

I was reading another post on here and some one was saying that logs don't shrink much lengthwise, but in diameter. If that's true, won't my walls develop gaps regardless of how much pinning I do?

Each log will shrink about 1/4 inch to itself so you will see a small gap but it will hardly be noticible.

thoner7
05-06-2014, 07:04 AM
and the insulation you stuff between the logs will expand as the logs shrink, leaving very little if any actually 'gap'.

blane
05-06-2014, 07:38 AM
And it is no big deal to use a little perma chink to close it up if it bothers you.

loghousenut
05-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Ken, You could build with green logs and set in windows with no settling gap. Your doors will have no settling gap over them. You'll have no screw jacks under your upright columns. By the time you chink the place your logs will have stabilized enough that your LHBA home will never be drafty and your family will love the place til your Grandkids are dust.

It's been done thousands of times over the last 50 years or so and almost always it is a family home that gets built by some nonothing nimrod like you and I who has never built anything in his/her life. Take the class and the rest of us will watch as you share your build on the member's side. You could go on for weeks asking questions that get answers that prompt more questions and still might not really get it. Take the class and I promise that the light will go on sometime around 9:30 am on the second day. For me I didn't fully see the light til about noon but I fell out of my crib several times as a babe.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1020024_zps5d071879.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/P1020024_zps5d071879.jpg.html)

thoner7
05-06-2014, 09:57 AM
Are you going to hang that moped from your ridge pole?

Ken Guzman
05-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Yeah, I think the mini bike on the skytrack is prompting more questions than anything else!

Ken Guzman
05-06-2014, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the info so far, everyone!

I wish I could take the class, but I have not nearly enough means to pay for it, much less go to Vagas. Maybe if there was one in OKC.

Anyway, I know my way around a job site pretty good, I just don't have any experience with log building. Also, I live in an area that no one builds actual LOG cabin, so I have one to go to for answers.

ivanshayka
05-06-2014, 11:37 AM
Without the class you won't build B&P style cabin properly. After class, u will have all of us to answer ur questions 24/7, a lot of times with photo or illustration. Here is a little teaser for you. It's my house.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/ivanshayka/Mobile%20Uploads/image-25.jpg (http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/ivanshayka/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image-25.jpg.html)

Here is my tool shed
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/ivanshayka/Log%20Home%20-%20Practice%20Shed/IMAG0612.jpg (http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/ivanshayka/media/Log%20Home%20-%20Practice%20Shed/IMAG0612.jpg.html)

Yes you can build with oak. It's hard to work with due to wood is so hard and heavy, but it will outlast your grand kids. I would build something small to medium with oak if that's the option I have available. Take the class.

Shark
05-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Best looking tool shed ever!

John W
05-06-2014, 12:19 PM
And Loghousenut didn't fall out of the crib several times, Bo threw him out.

ivanshayka
05-06-2014, 03:16 PM
Thank you shark

Plumb Level
05-06-2014, 04:56 PM
Welcome Ken! Building a small hunting cabin on family land?.....hmmm, reminds me of.........me! I as well considered building with oak. But I settled on a 25x25 and it would have probably taken every big oak off of the 40 acres, so I acquired SYP out of southern Missouri for about $65/log. Prices are up in the last 2 years.

So how much is the class running these days? Your in OK so not a bad drive out to Vegas. Day and a 1/2. Camp on the way. Pack a cooler with food for 5 days. Hotels aren't bad on price once you are there. Could probably get by with just one night in the hotel, then start your drive back right after class.

Think about the first big mistake that will happen on the build. You know it will happen right? What is that going to cost to fix? Class and the members forum will either help you avoid it entirely, or everyone on the members side will help you figure out the best way to fix it. By taking the class, you will also plan out your project in a more effective way, saving you time and probably savings you many trips back and forth to either the build site and/or the home improvement store. Just some things to think about.

Ken Guzman
05-06-2014, 06:55 PM
My cabin is only going to be 10x10 with a 10x12 loft.

the price for the class is $700+. That's nearly half my monthly income, so....
couple that with the fact that I have four kids that my wife and I homeschool and the chances of me being able to attend the class quickly dwindle into the single digits.

loghousenut
05-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Sell a bunch of extra firewood and mow a bunch of extra lawns and then get to building those kids a log home. It was some of the best homeschooling my Son got.

Just the humble opinion of a worn-out old frat with a half built log home.

blane
05-07-2014, 04:37 AM
Ken,
We homeschooled 5 children living out of 800 square feet for 4 years. Best homeschool experience for our children ever. You could make the price of the class be the curiculam for the kids and teach them the value of hard work.

jasonfromutah
05-07-2014, 06:01 AM
"That's nearly half my monthly income, so....
couple that with the fact that I have four kids that my wife and I homeschool and the chances of me being able to attend the class quickly dwindle into the single digits"

With all due respect, I would do what you can and make every effort to take the class. Even if I had to take a part time, extra job, I would to and pay for the class. Its a must, and a requirement to build a B&P home. I have never heard of anyone regretting the class.

In addition, you will have access to the help and support of the Members Forum. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience in these forums. They have helped me A LOT with my 30x30 build!

loghousenut
05-07-2014, 12:54 PM
Skip used to say that a log home is a free house with a very expensive roof and floor... Perhaps less true now than it was back then but this LHBA thing can still be a road to freedom. You won't build tomorrow unless Aunt Frankie kicks the bucket and leaves you too much money, but I'll say that I'm forever thankful that I went to Skip's class so I could force a few ducks into a row. When you stop paying rent and mortgage, your kids notice it.

loghousenut
05-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Dangit, this sounds like we're trying to get the guy to sign up for that vacuum cleaner with the free set of $1,000 encyclopedias.

Sorry to gang up on you like that Ken. None of us who have replied to you have any stake in the class. We're just a bunch of born again loghousenuts.

eagle
05-07-2014, 02:16 PM
If you have a bit of faith in the universe, put it out there that you will go to the class. somehow a way will present itself after that. It took me about a year to get to the class once I "thought" I wanted to go, not so much as the money but timing as well. When I made a decision to go seriously, I was there about 4 months later. After the class I was thinking how can I get the money to start planning/building knowing I wouldn't put my first log on for 2 years. I already can see the stars aligning, just make the decision and it will happen.

Ken Guzman
05-07-2014, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the info, guys!

StressMan79
05-07-2014, 04:08 PM
My cabin is only going to be 10x10 with a 10x12 loft.

What?......

Ken Guzman
05-08-2014, 04:25 AM
The loft is going to extend out over the porch.

Mosseyme
05-11-2014, 06:03 AM
I don't know what all your plans are for the cabin but if you could stretch the logs a couple of feet and go 12x12 or better 12x16 you will not regret it. We live for 2 weeks at a time in a 10x12 with a loft and 10 x 15 porch and sure does get crowded even with just 2 of us. We have slept 7 a couple of times.

Ken Guzman
05-11-2014, 06:59 AM
I tried to go longer, but 10' is most could get and stay consistent on diameter. Besides, I already have 30 of 80 logs down, so no going back!

Mosseyme
05-11-2014, 07:07 AM
No need to stay consistent on diameter with the butt and pass method. You could use those on either side of a door or window.
Our cabin has some 30" butts and some 16" butts.

Ken Guzman
05-11-2014, 06:32 PM
Good point. Another reason I went with ten footers is because I am doing a lot of it by hand, and a 10' long log That's 6" in dia. can be handled easily.

Plumb Level
05-12-2014, 09:09 PM
I could handle logs that size by hand also. Billy Bob on one end, Jim Bob on the other, one of my hands pointing whar to put the log, and the other hand on a barley pop. I could do that all day long and hardly break a sweat.

John W
05-13-2014, 05:34 AM
I'm fascinated by hard work. I could sit and watch it for hours.

loghousenut
05-13-2014, 07:07 AM
My Dad was a good watcher. Runs in the family.