PDA

View Full Version : solar tube?

StressMan79
02-23-2014, 03:08 PM
So, I think I might make a reading bench in the spare bedroom closet. It is on the shaded side of a 4/12 roof, maybe 10 ft from the ridge. How is the best way to get natural light in there?

Peter

DanS
02-23-2014, 03:35 PM
So, I think I might make a reading bench in the spare bedroom closet. It is on the shaded side of a 4/12 roof, maybe 10 ft from the ridge. How is the best way to get natural light in there?

Peter

I don't necessarily know about "the best" way to get light in there, but the solar tubes are awesome. The house I grew up in was always kind of dark in the living room... now that it's got a solar tube it's as bright as the green house (which is literally a room built of windows, wood beams, and some small stone wall sections).

If I wanted to brighten up a room during the day, I'd look first at a solar tube. They can snake around through the ceiling if need be (although the two I've seen installed didn't have to)

Dan

oldtrapper
02-23-2014, 04:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcW3dL0mlYo

jrdavis
02-24-2014, 07:31 PM
Trapper ---
I actually LOL'd. :)

Cheap. Free. DIY.

lilbluehonda
02-25-2014, 06:05 AM
Yeah just what I'd want in my house a bunch of soda bottles sticking through the roof,lets all sing along M I C K Y M O U S E !!!

edkemper
02-27-2014, 09:16 AM
What do rodents and big ears have to do with this discussion? Smile

shawnis
03-07-2014, 03:51 AM
I added 4 solar tubes to my house last year. Well worth the money. You can even tell when clouds pass by overhead. It even works with moonlight.

taylorjones
02-28-2016, 03:13 PM
If anyone is still looking at this thread, solar tubes are excellent!

I personally prefer skylights, but obviously that cannot work in all circumstances. Skylights also require a substantial amount of methodical work to properly install/flash (well more than half of skylights I see are improperly installed).
Solar rubes are more expensive to purchase, but much simpler to install, and are more versatile.

I recommend VELUX. If you have no roofing experience, don't install a skylight. ESPECIALLY if you have a metal roof. Most roofers who specialize in metal roofs screw up on skylights. Leaky skylights are NOT an inevitability, they can function perfectly.

DIYers, go VELUX solartube.