PDA

View Full Version : Attended Class and turned it into a business in building Log Homes?

chrism2029
01-27-2014, 08:51 PM
I have always wondered if anyone attended the class and turned it into a business? I know allot of you have built your own but after you built it (especially if you had all the time in the world) did you even think to build one for someone else?

ivanshayka
01-27-2014, 08:58 PM
There is one guy here who does it for living. He will chime in for sure. His forum name is rockclimber###. He is very good at what he does, and as a pro he is fast. He does work mostly for members, he also encourages people to take the class if he is doing it for nonmembers. Am I right Ronnie?

thoner7
01-28-2014, 05:19 AM
There was another group too. My fiance found their website out of the blue googling around, and wanted to show me some design element in their homes. Looking at the homes its was obvious they had taken the class. They were out of Colorado but I don't remember the name of their company, and from the looks of their website they may not be actively building anymore, or just had an outdated website.

EDIT: Found their website,
http://www.coloradologcabin.com/loghomes.html

ivanshayka
01-28-2014, 07:54 AM
I think I know who you are talking about. Are they husband and wife team? Cut their own trees?

rckclmbr428
01-28-2014, 09:03 AM
I attended the class some years ago and have a business building log homes, I do less then half of my work for people who have taken the class, the other half are for people that want me to build for them. I do not recommend to the people that I build for to take the class, as I have changed a lot of the things I do from what the lhba teaches, and there is no purpose in them taking the class if they are going to hire me to build for them.
To the best of my knowledge I am the only one who is running a log home business that is active on the forums. There may be others that are doing it but they are not on the forums. Trying to get into the construction industry with the current economy is a fools errand.

rreidnauer
01-28-2014, 09:17 AM
Trying to get into the construction industry with the current economy is a fools errand.Trying to start any small business in this day and age is a fools errand. The deck is stacked heavily against success.

If one would want to try and make a business of it, I'd recommend starting off by building a place and selling it, rather than custom build for someone. Do that a few times before moving to the latter. It'll give you time to streamline your methods and acquire equipment to further streamline the process, opening the door to become profitable.

thoner7
01-28-2014, 10:04 AM
I think I know who you are talking about. Are they husband and wife team? Cut their own trees?

Yes, husband and wife team I believe. I found their website: http://www.coloradologcabin.com/loghomes.html

If I was going to build homes for a living, I'd move to Nashville, TN and build there. The housing market their is booming, while land prices remain cheap, AND its a good area for people wanting log homes.

You can Buy 20+ acres, wooded, for 100k or less in one of the better school districts. Split it and build 4 homes on it if you want. A 2 story 40x40 would probably be worth 400k on 5 acres in the right school district.

project
01-28-2014, 10:43 AM
Yes, husband and wife team I believe. I found their website: http://www.coloradologcabin.com/loghomes.html

If I was going to build homes for a living, I'd move to Nashville, TN and build there. The housing market their is booming, while land prices remain cheap, AND its a good area for people wanting log homes.

You can Buy 20+ acres, wooded, for 100k or less in one of the better school districts. Split it and build 4 homes on it if you want. A 2 story 40x40 would probably be worth 400k on 5 acres in the right school district.

I bought 60 acres and a house with 100% mineral rights with a beautiful view for $55,000 in the ozarks. It's all in where you look I guess. I'm getting ready to slow down and relax a bit and kids are grown so schools and employment aren't as important .

ivanshayka
01-28-2014, 11:25 AM
I stand corrected Ronnie.

eagle
01-28-2014, 11:31 AM
if it's true on the amount of money you can make by building and then selling, I would think that method would be better than doing it for someone else. "if" you get the profit it seems like, I can't see making more doing it for someone else, however, you will need capital. This idea was attractive to me but I may change my mind after my first.

rckclmbr428
01-28-2014, 11:38 AM
if it's true on the amount of money you can make by building and then selling, I would think that method would be better than doing it for someone else. "if" you get the profit it seems like, I can't see making more doing it for someone else, however, you will need capital. This idea was attractive to me but I may change my mind after my first.

The issue with building for someone else is as follows "hi, I'm a log home builder, I'd like you to spend 300k with me, oh, houses I've built before? None. References for people I've built before? None. But i took a two day class in Vegas on how to do it." I'm not trying to discredit the class, but as an outsider looking to make the biggest investment in their life, you can see how the above conversation isn't exactlyconfiden ce inspiring. By far the best way is to build one and sell it. You'll never get someone to hire you without a seeing your work. Someone will buy it if they can see it. And rarely when someone is walking through an already built home do they ask about the builder, they have all the evidence they need in front of them as to whether it's quality work or not.

eagle
01-28-2014, 11:40 AM
The issue with building for someone else is as follows "hi, I'm a log home builder, I'd like you to spend 300k with me, oh, houses I've built before? None. References for people I've built before? None. But i took a two day class in Vegas on how to do it." I'm not trying to discredit the class, but as an outsider looking to make the biggest investment in their life, you can see how the above conversation isn't exactlyconfiden ce inspiring. By far the best way is to build one and sell it. You'll never get someone to hire you without a seeing your work. Someone will buy it if they can see it. And rarely when someone is walking through an already built home do they ask about the builder, they have all the evidence they need in front of them as to whether it's quality work or not.
Very well stated and so true!

thoner7
01-28-2014, 11:50 AM
I'd never build FOR someone else, acting as their builder, but I might build it and then sell later. Keep in mind if it is your primary residence for 2 years or more, any profit is 100% tax free!

loghousenut
01-28-2014, 03:08 PM
Why are you asking, Chris? If you want to take the class for the info to go out and set up as a log home contractor, it may, or may not be a big help. The LHBA system is directly aimed at the person who wants to build his/her own log home with her/his own hands. It is a FANTASTIC way for a family, who knows next to nothing, to buy a chunk of land and build a home for their Grandkids, without signing up for $1100 per month for the next 30 years.

There are reasons to use the LHBA method for custom built log homes that are being built for the rank and file log home customer, but many of those customers won't care. Most folks who want you to build a log home for them, see a glossy photo in a magazine and that's what they want.

If it were me, I'd try to talk them out of what they think they want... And I'd lose the sale.

Find a way to make it work and there will be money to be made. There will always be a market for quality.

Either way, I think the LHBA class should be a prerequisite for any single person who wants to tackle a log building problem.

chrism2029
01-28-2014, 03:54 PM
I live on the other side of the mountains in NC. My wife always say I have big ideas and dreams.

chrism2029
01-28-2014, 04:06 PM

You make a very good point and that thought has crossed my mind numerous times. I guess my dreams may be bigger. So if I do attend the class I may build a house or two and then sell them. Where I live I could buy a nice piece of land and turn it into a getaway area with a few log homes or cabins on it. This way I will make a profit and I know I wouldn't have put too much money into them. Plus I don't have to worry about customizing for someone and just rent them out...

chrism2029
01-28-2014, 04:11 PM
Thanks to all of you for some good insight on everything. I was always curious about it.

rckclmbr428
01-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Define "big ideas"..... This is a 10, 000sq.ft home with 8000sq.ft. Of decks, and 4 floors I have going in near Sylva, NC

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/rckclmbr428/RoofPicsandJoistCleaning024_zps89bc24cd.jpg

eagle
01-28-2014, 04:22 PM
that looks like a huge project, never seen a log cabin hotel before.Is that for a family? I was curious, do you work on more than one at a time?

rckclmbr428
01-28-2014, 04:55 PM
It's a second home, this project is on again off again as the owner gets money together. I typically only physically work on one project at a time, but I'm always putting things together, putting builds on the calendar and such.

loghousenut
01-28-2014, 05:04 PM
You make a very good point and that thought has crossed my mind numerous times. I guess my dreams may be bigger. So if I do attend the class I may build a house or two and then sell them. Where I live I could buy a nice piece of land and turn it into a getaway area with a few log homes or cabins on it. This way I will make a profit and I know I wouldn't have put too much money into them. Plus I don't have to worry about customizing for someone and just rent them out...

If you took the class, and sat around on your dead rasp for 30 years, and then started working on the log home you was gonna die in... Well I'd say you would still be right on course.

You'd still use whatever you learned in class, every day of those 30 years. Don't ask me how I know.

jasonfromutah
01-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Hard to add anything additional to what Ronnie has already said. I agree with him 100%.

I am 80% completed with my first build. I could/might be able to sell it for a profit.

However, in my opinion, the true "wealth" of learning these building methods that LHBA offers is interest and savings.
Building a home on your personal and financial schedule will save you thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Sure, the methods taught can save you expenses but the true value of your build is the opportunity you have to avoid banks.
And, if I would have planned better, and had more time, I might have shaved another $10-20k off of my build.

I am sure I will have about $100,000 into my build. This cost includes the $24k I paid for the land. These numbers are only estimates, but I am probably close.

4.25% interest rate, Conventianal 30 year loan would be about $491 a month. I would pay $76,000 over the life of the loan, that would equal $76k in interest.

Not a huge savings but heck, it will be nice after 4 years of busting my tail to own a home free and clear.

Building them for a living would take a lot more than I can offer.

Build your first, and see how you feel. Chances are, your mind will change.

Here are my savings: If I took out a loan for $100,000 and with good credit, I might get an interest rate of 4.25%

chrism2029
02-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Now that is BIG...Cannot wait to see what it looks like when finished...
Define "big ideas"..... This is a 10, 000sq.ft home with 8000sq.ft. Of decks, and 4 floors I have going in near Sylva, NC

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/rckclmbr428/RoofPicsandJoistCleaning024_zps89bc24cd.jpg

blane
02-19-2014, 12:21 PM
I had a dream of building 4 or 5 vacation rentals not so long ago but have put that on the back burner for now because I am just worn out after 4 years of working a full time job, being a husband and father of 5 children, pastoring a small church and building a log home all at the same time takes a toll on a man. Maybe after a 5 year rest I may reconsider or if I were 20 years younger I would jump at it.
But for now I am really enjoying living in a mortgage free home I built with my son

patrickandbianca
02-19-2014, 12:42 PM
I had a dream of building 4 or 5 vacation rentals not so long ago but have put that on the back burner for now because I am just worn out after 4 years of working a full time job, being a husband and father of 5 children, pastoring a small church and building a log home all at the same time takes a toll on a man. Maybe after a 5 year rest I may reconsider or if I were 20 years younger I would jump at it.
But for now I am really enjoying living in a mortgage free home I built with my son

I too thought I might build another. Maybe with a lot of help and no other life commitments. I don't see either one in my future!

Patrick

rckclmbr428
02-19-2014, 12:52 PM
I thought I would build another, then I lost count how many I've built :)

blane
02-19-2014, 03:48 PM
Yea, but you are at least 10-15 years younger than I am:)

rckclmbr428
02-19-2014, 06:23 PM
Age is just a number

loghousenut
02-19-2014, 09:25 PM
Age is a number alright. When I was you age it was "just a number"... Here lately has kinda turned into the type of number that is closely associated with statistics.

Puts a whole different spin on things.

BoFuller
02-20-2014, 05:52 AM
I hear that, Bro.

eagle
02-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Age is a number alright. When I was you age it was "just a number"... Here lately has kinda turned into the type of number that is closely associated with statistics.

Puts a whole different spin on things.
That's funny, good one LHN!

jcs3419
02-20-2014, 10:21 AM
I thought I would probably build another or two. If I do build another, it will be somewhere that doesn't have building codes. I really want to build a timber-frame home now. Always interested me.

fireman9
02-20-2014, 05:59 PM
I would build another if had no other responsibilities. Right now San Antonio fire dept pays the bills and I am mortgage free, or will be when we sell our stick frame. I will have about 110K in our log home and it's been a blast but I'm ready to enjoy it for a few years. Oh yeah, took me a year and we move in next week 95 percent complete.

jcs3419
02-20-2014, 06:48 PM
Fireman, I assume you mean after that two weeks of not moving from the couch you would consider building another?

jrdavis
02-20-2014, 07:23 PM
I have built 3 in my mind.
one partial shed/play house
and 2 partial models.....

Sadly, NONE of that counts :(
JD

fireman9
02-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Oh for sure Jeremy! Gonna get in some couch time before helping you finish yours!

rckclmbr428
02-22-2014, 05:46 PM
I feel like I built my first one three times, I'd do it once, not like it and then redo it, then redo it again before I was happy with it. Now I don't even give things a second thought

Caitlin
02-23-2014, 09:01 AM
It's a second home, this project is on again off again as the owner gets money together. I typically only physically work on one project at a time, but I'm always putting things together, putting builds on the calendar and such.

After viewing what seems to be dozens of LHB homes, it seems that I do not see very many windows in these homes. Is this just me? Or, if I am correct, is there a trick/ difficulty with putting in the windows?

loghousenut
02-23-2014, 10:10 AM
Windows can be many and large. There are a few rules about getting too close to the corners, etc., but for the most part, if you want to cut out a big ole section of log wall and put in a big ole window, you can.

I think most folks like the look of logs. Doesn't take but a few windows in the gable end of a great room with a cathedral ceiling to let in a bunch of light.

rreidnauer
02-23-2014, 11:14 AM
Not to mention lots of windows can mean lots of money. Especially with more and more bldg depts demanding energy star rated windows, it doesn't make it possible to put in salvaged/used windows like you use to be able to do in the past.

project
02-24-2014, 05:29 PM
I have a Marvin window dealer in the family and even at dealer cost the price of windows can blow a budget pretty fast.

Log Al
02-24-2014, 05:54 PM
My sentiments exactly LHN. I am starting to get concerned when I agree with you. LOL :)

loghousenut
02-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Don't fret it much Al. You're a fairly sharp cookie. You most likely won't agree with me too often.

jrdavis
02-24-2014, 07:37 PM
After viewing what seems to be dozens of LHB homes, it seems that I do not see very many windows in these homes. Is this just me? Or, if I am correct, is there a trick/ difficulty with putting in the windows?

Caitlin --

the 'R' value of windows is much less than logs and even "conventional" building.
Every opening allows for the possiblity of increased heat loss.

There is a 'safety' factor or security factor as well.
YMMV and to each his own. :)

JD

Caitlin
03-19-2014, 10:30 AM
Thanks very much!