PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance

Smug
01-20-2014, 11:11 AM
Hi all! Been doing a lot of reading on here the last couple of weeks and I had a question. For those of you who have stained and sealed your logs in some way, how often does this need reapplied? Does it vary from inside the house to outside, as well?

Thanks,
Chris

ivanshayka
01-20-2014, 11:35 AM
From what I learned in few years here and some people I talked to (non members of LHBA who built a Loghomes, full log) say that the inside of the log home needs random if ever to be resealed. The outside depends on many variables: do u want gray weathered look? Do you want pretty golden look? Or do you want dark brown stain? There are also many stains to choose from, oil vs water base, shiny vs dull, light vs dark, or any stain at all. You will find more suggestions and recommendations on the other side. Read as much as u can here, than take the darn class.

patrickandbianca
01-20-2014, 11:35 AM
It think it varies a lot depending on a lot of things. Quality of stain, location of the home being the two biggest factors. My home gets beat on by the sun for a lot of the year and I used One time wood about two years ago. It looks like new still.

Patrick

Ivan and I were typing at the same time! Same info pretty much too.

ivanshayka
01-20-2014, 11:45 AM
Sorry totally missed important part of ur question. It all depends on manufacturers recommendations on how often to reapply stain. Approx range is Between 4-10 years, also depends on stain and how it lasts. I've stained my shed last spring, it'll take few years for it to fade, but I'm not going to restain it, because it's a shed. Here is a pic of my shed, top part partially stained, I did not say sealed. In class u will learn all kinds of pros and cons to stains.
http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/ivanshayka/Log%20Home%20-%20Practice%20Shed/IMG_07261.jpg (http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/ivanshayka/media/Log%20Home%20-%20Practice%20Shed/IMG_07261.jpg.html)

panderson03
01-20-2014, 01:09 PM
NICE Ivan!!

Smug
01-20-2014, 08:21 PM
Thanks! Nice pics Ivan.

loghousenut
01-21-2014, 07:26 AM
Smugster,

What they're not telling you is that there has been a longrunning catfight on the members side about whether to stain/finish our log walls or leave them natural. The "pretty them up" crowd has had a slight upper hand in the scuffle lately so I've mostly just waited for several years now until they all get too old and feeble to win the debate, at which time my Wife will finally allow me to do it the easy way and let our walls naturally age to a lovely silver-golden patina.

There are merits to both camps and no wrong way to do this. For more info, with more unbiased opinion on both sides of the issue, I'll meet you on the members side the day after class.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/P1010102_zpse8877f02.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/P1010102_zpse8877f02.jpg.html)

Smug
01-21-2014, 08:08 AM
I look forward to meeting you there!

Basil
02-19-2014, 04:55 PM
I did nothing to my logs. I didn't even wash the inside of them until this last summer, and we started building in 2005. Been living here since 2008. I have friends that have log homes with various treatments and they are every one complaining about needing to re-apply

rckclmbr428
02-19-2014, 06:22 PM
Depends on how bright and shiny you want, with a proper roof, staining is about appearance, not protection.

blane
02-20-2014, 12:50 PM
Sanded and stained mine and would never do it again! It looks great but I fear the day my wife says don't you think its time to reststain the house again.

Basil
02-21-2014, 04:48 AM
when that day comes, hand her a bucket and tell her what a good idea that is!

blane
02-21-2014, 05:19 AM
That would go over like a lead ballon:)

ivanshayka
02-21-2014, 01:48 PM
Lol, save your trailer for that day Blain.

jasonfromutah
02-25-2014, 07:05 AM
I stained mine and glad I did.

I live in some of the worse weather imaginable. Lows can get near -40 and I have seen it in the 90's in the summer. The wind is always blowing as well.

I went with a quality stain. Its been on my house for close to 2 years and it looks as good as it did when first applied. I would be surprised if I did not get at least 10-15 years out of it.

The LHBA method of building prevents frequent applications of stain. My neighbors home (not LHBA) gets stained about every 5 years!

thoner7
02-25-2014, 07:52 AM
I stained mine and glad I did.

I live in some of the worse weather imaginable. Lows can get near -40 and I have seen it in the 90's in the summer. The wind is always blowing as well.

I went with a quality stain. Its been on my house for close to 2 years and it looks as good as it did when first applied. I would be surprised if I did not get at least 10-15 years out of it.

The LHBA method of building prevents frequent applications of stain. My neighbors home (not LHBA) gets stained about every 5 years!

What stain did you use?

jasonfromutah
02-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Toner:

I will get back to you on that. I cannot remember right now.

I applied 2 coats and I was pleased with the results.

rreidnauer
02-25-2014, 02:41 PM
Hear that Mrs. LHN? He said he's really happy and glad he stained the logs. :D

loghousenut
02-26-2014, 05:42 AM
Hear that Mrs. LHN? He said he's really happy and glad he stained the logs. :D

Rod, I told Mrs. Nut that Jason built a kit home. That keeps her from reading any of his posts.

On the other hand, She really appreciates everything Blane has to say.

jasonfromutah
02-26-2014, 07:28 AM
Silver is my least favorite color :eek:

JAK
03-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Yeah I'm hoping my wife will let my house go natural , I've hinted that that's the route I want to take,but she wants stain .

I've got a few years before I cross that bridge,so I'm going to keep working on her hopefully she will see it my.

I keep bringing up neighbors who stained there deck and Hesse complaining about having to do it every other year I sweat just watching him go at it.