PDA

View Full Version : chemical treatment for logs???

jsummerlin
03-05-2006, 07:46 AM
I have talked to several people : old friend, brother-in-law, County building inspector, etc who have all mentioned that when I get my logs they will have to be
1. dried either in the sun or kiln dried
and
2. treated (for insects/termites) either by pressure or dipped?
The second one has me concerned.
I have heard no one on this site mention pressure treating/chemical treating their logs. What are the concerns here. Is it a deep south thing?
Also it seems to me that it wouldn't be safe living in a structure that has been treated with chemicals, sound like THAT would be illegal.
Anyone care to reply on this, since I have read the entire forum at least once and don't remember any discussion on this topic.

gregorama
03-05-2006, 10:00 AM
I love so-called "expert" opinions. All the things you have mentioned are either impossible, prohibitively expensive, will ruin the logs, or cause halitosis. :evil:

Sun (UV) will damage/weather the wood quickly, and it not necessary. Kiln-drying is not done in those long lengths, and would cost a mint if you can find someone, also not necessary. Pressure-treating, same thing- huge equipment and scary chemicals.

Dipping is the closest thing to possible; spraying is doable. Search the forum for "borate"; it's the best and cheapest thing going...

Greg

DYork
03-07-2006, 06:42 PM
Ok, good points. But how bout we address high humidity. I've made many a mid morning, even near noon walk in the woods where I am going to build and vividly remember all the foilage still being very damp, as well as the forest floor underfoot. Out in the open areas, the dampness pretty much evaporates around 10am, but it's damp most of the morning--about 1/3 of the daylight time, anywhere there isn't direct sunlight.

I want shade, as I am much more concerned with cooling issues as opposed to the winter heating issues you guys up north have. Without some sort of treatment, how do you combat the effects of dampness on the logs, yet still retain a fair amt of shade on the home? It's just a humid area-that's all there is to it. Considering another region is out of the question. Ideas?