PDA

View Full Version : when is next seeminar

jake7760
11-14-2013, 10:19 AM
i am new to this site and have missed the Las Vegas seminar recently. does anybody have an idea when the next one will be held? I have put in an offer for 8+ acres of land with enough white pine to build a log home. and plan on logging the site starting December.

Plumb Level
11-14-2013, 02:17 PM
I'm not seeing the next class listed. I'm sure it will be updated sometime soon, with a possible delay due to the disaster in the Phillippines. One of the instructors lives there, but was stateside teaching a class when it happened.

jake7760
11-15-2013, 08:53 AM
i am new to this site and have missed the Las Vegas seminar recently. does anybody have an idea when the next one will be held? I have put in an offer for 8+ acres of land with enough white pine to build a log home. and plan on logging the site starting December.

thanks plumb level. i have had a plan on paper to build a log home, but i am now putting it all on hold until i can attend the next seminar, as i don't want to have too many missteps. still plan on cutting down the timber this winter, if there are any missteps to avoid in this process, would appreciate the heads up.

edkemper
11-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Jake,

You might even want to wait to down the logs until after the class. Everything you see clearly now will change after the class. Even buying land before the class "might be" a mistake. I bought my land before the class. I love what I have but I would have probably made some different choices if I had gained the guidance in the class and from the "Member's Side" of this forum before I bought.

Either way, welcome aboard,

Plumb Level
11-15-2013, 11:22 AM
I would wait til class to cut if possible. But if you must get started, I would just limb your logs and get them off the ground. Don't cut or trim any to length, as you may change your mind on some things.

ivanshayka
11-15-2013, 09:58 PM
I second that. If it's all possible to avoid cutting after class, I would wait. If you must cut leave your logs as long as they are with 8" tops. I hope they are not 8" butts. Rack them off the ground and peel them ASAP.

ivanshayka
11-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Never mind, take the class.

loghousenut
11-15-2013, 11:49 PM
Jake, Yer gonna hate my advice. I say take the class and if you really want to get a head start on your Grandkid's log home, save up some extra cash and read everything you can about anything except log houses. Believe it or not, I can't imagine that you will really get a head start by logging before you attend class. I can imagine a radical change in your plans after class that might make you wish you'd left those trees standing a while longer.

Just the advice of a fat ole man who first took the class in 1981.

project
11-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Patients will pay off. I've been waiting for almost 3 years now to get to the class due to work schedule. I've been doing a lot of land improvement and my logs are still growing in the mean time. They are almost 16" over the bark now and now I'll have to wait till next winter to cut provided I can get to a class in the next few months

jake7760
11-20-2013, 03:57 PM
Thanks guys, it is almost like a refuge here, where I'm coming to stay focused. Since I've made my decision to go the Skip Ellsworth way, all I've been hearing from friends and family is thas I'm to old , its a waste of logs, you can't build a house that way, etc.etc. this is my last gasp though ,as i'm pushing 60 and don't know what i'll have in the tank in another 4 -5 years so the sooner the better. Also have a concern up here in the Maine woods that it is best to log in the winter, as there is less sap in the trees and less chance for logs to get hung up on the underbrush. Me and my son and our families plan on building 2 log homes on the land. Have 30 + pines alone with an average thickness at the butt of 30'' and countless 16 -20 trees.

loghousenut
11-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Jake... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you really are too old, it's a waste of logs and I'm pretty sure you can't build a log home that way.

But I'm doing it and I turn 60 in February. Go for it and don't give up til they nail the coffin lid down. You'll most likely enjoy the proccess as much as I do.

jrdavis
11-21-2013, 12:34 AM
Jake... Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you really are too old, it's a waste of logs and I'm pretty sure you can't build a log home that way.

But I'm doing it and I turn 60 in February. Go for it and don't give up til they nail the coffin lid down. You'll most likely enjoy the proccess as much as I do.

Jake --

that there is advise you can take with you.
LogHouseNut is Our resident helper, er, well, he NEEDS help, I mean HE is a big HELPER.
Trust him.
as his tag says --- Skips way is best.
I turned 50 this year and am still dreaming of getting it done.
You're good!!!
JD

rocklock
11-21-2013, 09:49 AM
Well I turn 70 in Feb... I believe I will finish this next summer... I have noticed that I can't cut and haul firewood all day any more, in just about 6 hours and I'm pooped... Anyway, I think you get a little bit younger when you stack logs...

Mosseyme
11-21-2013, 03:41 PM
We are in our sixties and have been building mostly on our own. We have done our own logging up on the side of gullies to steep to safely stand on way up in the mountains. We have dragged logs 3/4 of a mile through the forest on old logging roads. This past two weeks we have had help from brother who had his sixty ninth birthday last week out here. The friend he brought with him is 74 and he spent a lot of the time up on the logs 20 feet in the air drilling logs. Age is just a number. You will be just as old in 5 years maybe older if you dont do the log cabin

lilbluehonda
11-21-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm 64 cut my own logs started on my house in the middle of last July 35 X 35 with a roof 48 X 50 got the walls up rafters on sheeted with 2 X 6's and the underlayment down waiting for the tin to come next week

loghousenut
11-21-2013, 10:00 PM
Don't let 'em scare you off Jake. Nobody says you have to keep up with them. If you want to plug along at my pace, it'll still woek out just fine.

The journey is where the real pleasure lies.

Log Al
11-23-2013, 07:11 AM
Many people have no Dream and sit in their chair and die. I have a Dream and will Die working it or enjoying it LHBA Logs stacked. Bible says "without a Dream the people perish " I believe this goes for individuals also. Man was not created to sit in chair and just exist. IMHO.

oldtrapper
11-23-2013, 08:40 AM
I love it when folks tell ya that it can't be done and especially by you. ;-{>8

Don't just go with your boots on - - be kickin.

A lotta sage advice here.

loghousenut
11-23-2013, 12:59 PM
My Wife says that I'll most likely die with my boots on... Too lazy to take them off on the odd chance that I'll still be alive tomorrow. As for kickin, well can't I just yawn?

John W
11-25-2013, 06:31 AM
Well, now I'm feeling GREAT about being 'only' 52 and not started yet. Hope for the future and keeping the dream alive.

jake7760
11-25-2013, 09:52 AM
with all you old foagies out there doin it ,i now feel REJUUUUUVENATED!!!! I can't take my boots off, has something to do with some stupid chemical warfare treaty. all you guys thanks for the encouragement.

loghousenut
11-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Jake,

You fit right in here, don'tcha?

Take the class.

jake7760
12-02-2013, 05:47 PM
you guys twisted my arm, I have signed up my son and myself for the March class.

loghousenut
12-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Best thing you ever did for that kid... Other than choosing his Mother for him.

BoFuller
12-04-2013, 03:06 PM
You'll love it. And he will too.