PDA

View Full Version : how to build a small model of your future house?

glendc
02-28-2006, 08:35 AM
I am planning to sign up for the class this spring or summer. I want to build and bring with me a model of my log house so I could discuss it with other members -- I read it's recommended and I like this idea.

Any suggestions how one can build a model? I plan to buy dowels in Michael's art supply store, a small drill and make rebars from staples. So I want to reproduce the entire butt and pass building process as close as possible. I'd appreciate any ideas. Thanks.

WillandHelen
02-28-2006, 12:28 PM
Hey,

My personal opinion is to wait to make the model. After taking the class you will have a more refined understanding of the construction technique. Whereas, if you build the model now it will probably have significant flaws. To top it all off they will give you tips on making a model and show you some examples. No one from my class made a model for class. Just one guys opinion. You seem to know a bit about the process already so maybe it will be worthwhile for you.

rreidnauer
02-28-2006, 03:13 PM
I got to agree with WillandHelen. There is a discussion on model building, but it is in the member's section of the website. Save your dough up for the class, instead of blowing it on a flawed model now.

You'll thank us later. :wink:

adubar
03-01-2006, 01:46 PM
glendc,

I put my vote with WillandHelen and rreidnauer.

I can understand that you may want to get a head start on your class.

I think I read every book I could find on log home building before I decided to take the class. After the class, I realized that what I had retained from my previous reading wasn't especially what I should have been paying attention to.

You will find, most likely, that your ideas of what you wanted and thought you wanted to build today will change by the end of the class.

One theme that seems to resinate with many of the member's I've met and can be seen in the class itself is the idea of "frugality."

Save your time and the money you would spend on a model now, so that you can put it to better use later.

Do this, and you will already be way ahead of the game.

Regards,

A

kyle
03-01-2006, 02:38 PM
I'm on the band wagon as well. Definitely wait till you've attended the class to build a model.