PDA

View Full Version : Building Codes

Neil
10-18-2013, 11:40 AM
I am looking at building in El Paso County Colorado Springs. I just got off the phone with an engineering firm and he said the building codes here are some of the most strict in the country second probably to California. I was informed I have to have stamped drawings or plans ensuring the structural integrity of the logs and home. This engineer stated that he would not do this and does not know of anyone around that would. He stated hopefully the LHBA would have assistance for something like this.
So I am concerned if I am going to get shot down before ever getting off the ground here.

DanS
10-18-2013, 05:46 PM
I am looking at building in El Paso County Colorado Springs. I just got off the phone with an engineering firm and he said the building codes here are some of the most strict in the country second probably to California. I was informed I have to have stamped drawings or plans ensuring the structural integrity of the logs and home. This engineer stated that he would not do this and does not know of anyone around that would. He stated hopefully the LHBA would have assistance for something like this.
So I am concerned if I am going to get shot down before ever getting off the ground here.

I don't buy it. El Paso county being an impossible challenge--that is.

There are more difficult places to build in your area (looking at you: Jeffco).

I guarantee there's an engineer who would work with you somewhere in the state. And yes, I'm relatively sure that the "resident" LHBA engineer knows of some in the state. I've got one that I believe will be here to stamp mine, unless he moves. I don't talk to "engineering firms"--look for the banged up pickup or mini van that has a poorly painted sign on the door that mentions engineering. Those will be the guys who will work with you. If they have a website, they are almost certainly not what you are looking for.

Dan

JSmith
10-28-2013, 08:21 PM
Neil,
With DanS, on the student log homes there is someone that built in California. With the classes help and a little more research you can surely find what you need and are looking for. Hang in there.

dazedandconfused
11-08-2013, 09:32 AM
I had to have stamped plans logs graded bog turtle studies etc u can find someone call a draftsmen and maybe he could recommend someone

Shark
12-23-2013, 05:47 PM
We didn't have to have stamped plans, but we did use the class plans and our building dept was good with them. E had to have our logs graded as well, not a big deal although cost a little extra.

Kola
12-25-2013, 06:14 AM
There are lots of LHBA homes built here in CO which followed the county coding stuff without a problem. I am sure some of them will chime in.

I have no interest in county codes or the rules.

ChrisBraley
02-27-2014, 06:55 AM
Neil, have you made any progress..? I also live in El Paso County Colorado and was curious