PDA

View Full Version : My First Two Weeks as a New LHBA Member

Kento
09-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Two weeks ago, my wife and I attended the LHBA class in Las Vegas. Since then, we've purchased an incredible package of stock plans, scratched the surface of the wisdom and experience available through the members forum, read many threads on the progress and challenges of members actively building their homes, volunteered our labor to help members, received invitations to help on one home and visit another, and, as of this weekend, visited a LHBA home under construction and helped with chinking the walls.

I want to thank LHBA member dazedandconfused for the chance to lend him a hand this weekend. For anyone who doubts whether they can do this, he is living proof that you can build your own log home without prior construction experience. He poured his foundation in March and, Lord willing, is well on his way to having his first Christmas in his log home.

Apparently it's not uncommon for curious people to stop by his log home-in-progess and this day was no exception. While we were chinking the interior walls, one such couple pulled up to get a closer look. They had driven by before and finally stopped to satisfy their curiosity. Brimming with a million questions, they stated with admiration how this home didn't look like all the other log homes they had seen in the area.

I knew what they meant. I've seen many milled log homes in our research and grew to like them but wished it was possible (affordable) to build with the big logs in the handcrafted homes. My research thankfully led me to the LHBA website and months of reading threads and finding blogs and photobucket sites that proved you could build with those big logs and not spend the rest of your life paying for it.

Now this was my first chance to see a LHBA home in person and I was not to be disappointed. Like a kid in a candy store, I was finally able to see and feel one of these homes I had meticulously studied in countless photos. The logs were massive, natural, and beautiful. Ridge pole supports soared to the cathedral ceiling. The green metal roof handsomely complemented the stained log exterior and gray chinking. It is truly a unique work of craftsmanship and quite literally has become the talk of the town.

If you're just discovering this site and wondering if it's the real deal, just keep reading. Check out the student homes, find the blogs and websites showing how ordinary people are building their log homes. LHBA may not be for everyone but it is what it claims to be.

Oh, do I think the class is worth it? Yes!

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad31/kento2013/FirstTwoWeeks_zpsb5461925.jpg

Kento

P.S. I think dazedandconfused will have to change his name to LogHomeBuilderExtraordinaire when he's done :)

rreidnauer
09-16-2013, 03:13 PM
Great testament Kento!

And I agree with changing D&C's name. Clearly he has a grip on things.

LogHomeFeverDan
09-23-2013, 03:21 PM
After that testament, what else needs to be spoken? Thanks for sharing Kento! I believe you have caught the bug!

eduncan911
09-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Welcome Kento and quite nearly the same testament I posted after attending the class - couldn't agree more!

And yes, Jason's home is quite superb! Those poplar logs he used are just beautiful - picture perfect. Never-mind the fact that he sourced them right there on his own property as well (free!). I was only there a few hours myself back in Spring of this year and watched in awe as they stacked a few courses. I even got to drive a rebar or two. :cool:

Shy-Anne
10-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Hey, thanks for the inspiration and the post. So "the class" is the info all verbal? Do you get take home flyers? DVDs, something of that sorts? Im so scared of going to the class and getting overwhelmed and forgetting everything

thoner7
10-22-2013, 11:55 AM
They give you a thick notebook which has a lot of info, but it also lacks some important stuff I thought. So bring a few pens and some extra scrap paper.

Mosseyme
10-22-2013, 04:24 PM
I brought notebook and pens but ended up just scribbling notes in the handbook. Bring your questions but wait until the end of a class to ask them because they have heard it all and pretty much answer it all in proper order. I did use the notebook to get some emails and phone numbers of other students. Also the cabin plan package will be available at that time and for about a month after the class.

Kento
10-26-2013, 03:54 AM
Shy-Anne,
Great question. Like thoner7 noted, there is a thick course book provided in class. The course instructor, Ellsworth, stated one of the common "mistakes" people make is to not write down things they believe they already "own". Following that advice, I did just as Mosseyme said and made a lot of notes in the course book, even things I was pretty sure I knew. As I write this post, I'm flipping through the book and chuckling at some things I recorded, like next to recommended tools, I noted I would only need a gasoline chain saw to "cut long log shorter" and next to electric chainsaw "everything else--doors windows -- smallest, lightest you can find". It may be trivial but I'm glad I wrote it down. I see a lot of my notes to things I would never remember and are far more important. And getting to visit dazedandconfused allowed me to see everything they covered in class and reinforce it. We plan to see other builds-in-progress and help out, which will definitely allow us to see how well our theoretical knowledge works when put to the test.

It's going to be awhile before we start to build so time will tell how much we forget or how many questions we have. I believe there will be many learning experiences when it's time to break ground and really build. The good thing is there are members going through the same process and an answer to a question is only a forum post away. That is no small measure of reassurance.

Keep reading and learning and asking questions!

rocklock
10-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Shy-Anne,
You get lots of info but you will either not remember or forget or mix stuff up...

That's what the member side is for, along with other stuff. I have many posts. Many were trying to make sure that I don't do something incredibly stupid...

good luck

rckclmbr428
10-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Welcome, keep reading!

Blondie
10-28-2013, 06:41 AM
Shy-Ann,

There are several of us girls around here. Don't feel like you are alone! Learning doesn't stop at class. These boards are awesome!

Blondie

BoFuller
10-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Shy-Ann,

There are several of us girls around here. Don't feel like you are alone! Learning doesn't stop at class. These boards are awesome!

Blondie

Blondie, long time no hear. What's up at your place?

Blondie
10-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Hi Bo!

I have the age old problem of "Big Dreams" and no funds! It is currently driving me up the wall and around the corner.

Blondie

jasonfromutah
10-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Hi Bo!

I have the age old problem of "Big Dreams" and no funds! It is currently driving me up the wall and around the corner.

Blondie

Wish you the best and abundate future "funds". You have helped a lot of members and I hope good Karma finds you!

Blondie
10-30-2013, 05:05 PM
That is very kind. Thank You, Jason

Blondie

BoFuller
10-30-2013, 06:04 PM
Hi Bo!

Blondie

Weren't you building a yurt? Or is everything on hold? Hope fortune finds it's way to you.

Blondie
10-30-2013, 06:17 PM
Yes, I have a yurt all but ready to put up. I have been blessed with many gifts but the fortune gift has never been mine.

Blondie