PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Log Cabin Expert near Dallas

stevegymac
09-01-2013, 09:54 AM
Greetings,

I am looking at buying an existing log cabin built by the owner's husband (deceased) in 1983. The cabin is just south of Dallas. I love the property, but don't know the ins and outs of log cabins and would love to have an expert to consult with. Both the inspector and a friend who built a lake house are impressed with the effort/quality put into it, but I want to be aware of issues specific to log cabins - I started researching information - butt and pass, debarking, etc., and think I just need to talk to an expert. Do any of you have a reference in the Dallas area I could contact?

Here is a link to photos:

http://apps.shoot2sell.net/galleries/trsw_c21/2220_SWoody/

I appreciate any help,
Steve

loghousenut
09-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Well, it's a good looking place, ain't it. You do need an expert in log home repair to look it over with a fine toothed comb. This style of construction can be rife with problems that are not necessarily cheap, easy, or fun to fix. May be as sound as a slide rule but also could have a pile of hollow logs in one or more corners. The wrap around porches may be a saving grace but you won't know until the probe goes in between the logs.

In my opinion the inspector will probably not be qualified and, even if he/she is qualified, he/she is working more for the seller than the buyer. You want someone who you pay to look out for your best interests and, whether you purchase this place or not, it will be money well spent. I don't know if that person will respond from your inquiry here but it can't hurt.

rreidnauer
09-01-2013, 05:57 PM
Don't have a lead for ya Steve, but just wanted to say it looks pretty darn nice. By the looks of it, it's located in a fairly arid region, and it has lots of roof overhang to protect them milled logs. I'd bet it's probably in very good shape as long as there isn't any destructive insect issues. Should there be any rot issues, it will be found near the foundation, and especially at the corners.

rckclmbr428
09-01-2013, 07:08 PM
I'd be happy to come down and look at it, it's been a while since I've been have had brisket.

rreidnauer
09-02-2013, 06:37 PM
That's the guy you wanna be talking to Steve. Neither Loghousenut nor I wanted to volunteer his services without him offering.

loghousenut
09-02-2013, 11:02 PM
I'da offered Ronnie if I thought there was brisket involved... Heck I might just tag along to see if I can lend a hand now that I know what's at steak.