PDA

View Full Version : Is the butt and pass log home too good to be true?

logsforveterans
08-11-2013, 03:28 AM
First, let me introduce myself. My name is Lucas, though I haven't been called that for 10 months now because I've been looking for IEDs with the Army for that time. I am a newcomer as far as posting to this forum, but I have been following it as a guest for over a year now. I've read as much as the page has to offer. With that being said I want to attend the class more than anything at this given moment. Lets just pray that there will be another class after I get home from Afghanistan in October. I finally have the assets to get to the class and make my dream come true. My only issue at this point with the entire system is that it seems too good to be true. I've never built a house before. I love to get my hands dirty but build a house? If my dad taught me anything growing up it was that if it sounds to good to be true it probably is. But there is a lot of evidence of successful projects so I think I'll give it a shot.

I live in Denver Colorado and I'm looking to buy some land west of Denver. Another issue is that land is crazy expensive in Colorado. Any advice here? I know it will be covered in class. I just don't think I can settle for anything less than seclusion. I have to be able to go out back and shoot my guns and have nobody care. But I also know my work will also keep me close to Denver. If that seems contradictory to being in afghanistan currently its because I'm a reservist. I'm s full time civilian and part time military. Another concern of mine is plumbing and electricity. Is everyone just learning as they go? I've never done any of that. Just helped dad fix stuff growing up. I'm just an average Joe who can work but doesn't have a lot of know how. I just know it is time to stop throwing money away by renting an apartment and gain financial freedom. Thanks to those of you who stay current on the forum like LHN and LHFD. You guys are much appreciated by those of us just getting settled into this. For those of you that follow the forum and haven't posted your questions yet, do it. it is encouraging to read about others in the same boat. So to conclude my thoughts I would ask: Have any of you been half way through building your log home and said what the Hell am I doing? What have I gotten myself into? I fear that. Thanks again.

spiralsands
08-11-2013, 04:39 AM
Hello Lucas. My first advice to you is to not worry so much! Yes, there will be other classes after you return home. Yes, you will learn the skills you need to do things to build your house. If you helped your dad fix stuff when you were growing up, you were way ahead of me at your age because I had no dad. The Air Force taught ME what tools were and how to use them. So I had enough skills to fix and refurbish some stuff by the time I took the class. After taking the class however, I dove full bore into BIG jobs at my Florida house. I replaced most of the windows, gutted and rebuilt a bathroom and built a really nice backyard shed all by myself (and I was 53 yo.) The class didn't teach me carpentry or plumbing. It did teach me that I could build the big house on my own though and I came home with a well of confidence. After selling the FL house I moved to NY where I am building a 14x24 conventional Little House build on the land I bought in 2006. It will be a shelter and storage while I build the Big House.

You're going to meet a lot of people here that are doing their "big house" right now. Some are doing log sheds, some live in trailers, some dive right in after the class and some wait for years preparing. So don't worry. You will be able to do it!

Get home safe son.

Frances

Kara
08-11-2013, 06:09 AM
I remember feeling that way. To satisfy our doubts, We set out to see up close what this is all about by helping other members. We saw first hand that people with out experience, like us, have done their own foundations, got all of their walls up; one hired the Amish to do their roof for an affordable price; the other couple has already completed their garage and roof on their own and is about to do the roof on their home now. Too good to be true? No. We were assured that it was not easy. There will be challenges, things that don't go right, equipment that breaks, and weather that will not cooperate. To me, this is simply: Anything worth doing isn't easy. The one common thing in the members we have met: Determination. They are focused, yet flexible. It seems like a lot of this is a series of problem solving and research, and celebrating each completed step. Having a 5+ year plan seems to be where it's at for 2 people working on it on the weekends. We are in the process of taking out a loan on the land (30 year agricultural land loan), which we plan on keeping throughout our build. Then our plan is to save for a step: complete a step, repeat. If you want this, It is completely possible. There will always be another class, and it's worth every penny.

Good luck and come home safe!

rreidnauer
08-11-2013, 06:45 AM
Your question sounds almost silly Lucas, but that's due to what I see on the member's side of the forums. I think it's at an all time high that so many builds are going on at once, since I've joined.

Now by 'too good to be true', if you consider long, hard, often monotonous hours of plugging away at building a home too good to be true, well I can assure you it's real. You will learn to think differently, more creatively, to achieve your goals. That's why it says 'thinking outside the vinyl sided box' in my signature line. (sorry Tapatalk folks, you can't see the siggy lines) Basically, I feel one's only limiting factors are money and determination. I'm in full control of one, and with time, I can tackle the other.

But hey, I've seen people take $800 to Vegas and chance it on far bigger gambles than the LHBA class without batting an eye. I think you'd be making a safer bet here, than at the craps table. ;)

rocklock
08-11-2013, 07:11 AM
Well here I am taking bad pictures from my loft bedroom in my warm home and your asking if is too good to be true. Your dad probably also says you get what you pay for. I have invested years of hard work and now I can leave a home to each of my children.
I get the solitude thing. Hopefully you have someone to share it with. It makes life much more enjoyable.

logsforveterans
08-11-2013, 07:19 AM
Thanks rocklock. I've looked through your entire album of your build. I've actually gotten a lot of my inspiration from your work. If an old retired man can build such a masterpiece, surely a 25 year old can get somewhere close. I'm sure I will be looking to you for advice in just a few short months.

Mosseyme
08-11-2013, 07:23 AM
Has Any One Questioned What In The World WEre We Thinking? IDoubt Many Here Havrnt At Some Time During Their Build.
However, We Are A 60 Something Couble Doing It And Against The Advice Of Lhba Have Done Our Own Logging Off The Steep SidSs Of The Mountains Using Equipment That People Look At And Say "What You Pulled Those 30" 44' Long Logs Out With That Little Thing.
No One Here Will Suggest It Is Any Way Easy But It Is Very Doable. And Yes I Think Determination Is The Biggy Factor. That Is The Thing You Have Control of.
Sorry My Smart Phone Messez With me

logsforveterans
08-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Well that settles it then. I'll quit worrying and just take the next class and go from there. I appreciate the well wishes for coming home. Almost there. I know the LHBA teaches that this can be done alone. Does anybody actually do this alone?

Also rocklock I'm working on that person to be secluded with. We're not quite ready for engagement yet :p

logsforveterans
08-11-2013, 07:48 AM
Rreidnauer, you mentioned long monotonous hours working on the house. The funny thing is that is exactly what I'm looking for. Sometimes I think it is easier to picture working on the house as your gym. People pay $50 a month to workout at the gym. Why not put that 50 bucks towards a house and peel logs for your workout? It kind of makes going to the gym seem counterproductive.

Kennit
08-11-2013, 08:03 AM
One more point - There are tons of resources for things like plumbing, electrical, flooring, mansonry, etc. Most of the big box stores and some of the mom and pop hardware stores have people that can walk you through those projects as long as you are willing to ask for help. There are also lots and lots of books out there that will teach you anything you want (my preferred method, I'm getting quite a library going).

donjuedo
08-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Sometimes I think it is easier to picture working on the house as your gym. People pay $50 a month to workout at the gym. Why not put that 50 bucks towards a house and peel logs for your workout? It kind of makes going to the gym seem counterproductive.

Good thinking!

loghousenut
08-11-2013, 08:56 AM
Rreidnauer, you mentioned long monotonous hours working on the house. The funny thing is that is exactly what I'm looking for. Sometimes I think it is easier to picture working on the house as your gym. People pay $50 a month to workout at the gym. Why not put that 50 bucks towards a house and peel logs for your workout? It kind of makes going to the gym seem counterproductive.

Don't let 'em fool you, Lucas. You'll still need the gym membership.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/walllogs9-09022.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/Wow/walllogs9-09022.jpg.html)

You already know you want a log home and you already know who's gonna build it, don't you? It'll be fine. It's a lot of work and you'll wonder if your friends who live in town, and have a new truck (on credit), and a bunch of new furniture (on credit), and get to go to Cabo every year (on credit), aren't doing it the right way.

Then again, when you are my age and your housewarming party is 30 years behind you, you'll see how far ahead you are. If you'd rather wait til you're my age, then you'll see that you can build one of these things even when you're too old to do it.

I say just take the plunge. It's not too good to be true. You'll earn every bit of that house... And you won't regret it.

ivanshayka
08-11-2013, 09:17 AM
Working out on my property is my idea of workout. I have logged my own trees and peeled most of them myself 80 out of 100, i did have little help there.The only construction experience i have is roofing (shingles). I'm going with metal all the way, so the experience i had is almost irrelevant. I did build a shed on my property right after i took the class. It was very good experience, i have learned a ton. here

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/ivanshayka/Log%20Home%20-%20Practice%20Shed/IMAG0612.jpg (http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/ivanshayka/media/Log%20Home%20-%20Practice%20Shed/IMAG0612.jpg.html)

here is pic of logging

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/ivanshayka/family090.jpg (http://s1225.photobucket.com/user/ivanshayka/media/family090.jpg.html)

At one point I was where u are. After long research I realized that if I want a log home, this is the only way to go. Keep hanging in here. And we will pray for your safe return home.

logsforveterans
08-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Ahaha maybe I will have to up my gym membership then. :)

Ivan, you call that a shed? I do beg your pardon. That is one hell of a shed my friend. I could live in that and I may live in something similar when I work on the big house.

spiralsands
08-11-2013, 11:27 AM
I love your shed Ivan. Just love it!

rocklock
08-11-2013, 11:52 AM
Just a note
My wife recently reminded me that I wrote here a letter almost every day when we were apart. She still has them. That was 47 years ago. If you see something you really want you go for it.

ivanshayka
08-11-2013, 06:39 PM
I am going to say this as humbly as I can. The shed was very easy to build, the reason is I used 4" to 8" thick and max 12' long logs. They were lifted by hand, they were very light in weight. This shed is smaller that it appears. It is 10 X 10. If I had to do it over again I would go with 14X14, you still won't need a permit for that. You should explore other foundation options, like full basement and posibly try making root cellar underneat (or a bunker to hide from zombies, pun inteded). I would agree with you, it is livable. I would live in it if I was not married and did not have any kids.

patrickandbianca
08-11-2013, 06:42 PM
It wasn't very long ago I was sitting up at 3 am for flight deck watch, floating around on the USS IWO JIMA in the middle of nowhere. The ships internet was so slow that it took about 15 minutes to load one picture from the LHBA website and all I could think about was getting home, going to the class and building a log home.

I am writing this from the 3200 sqft log home I have built over the last 3.5 years for less than a single wide costs in this area. We moved in last week and there are still things to do, but I can assure it can be done and that its not to good to be true.

Here are some not up to date photos, kleinloghome.shutterfly.com

Patrick

Mosseyme
08-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Patrick, congrats on the move in. Bet it feels awesome.

logsforveterans
08-11-2013, 07:50 PM
I've always assumed I would use piers for my foundation because Skip did. It also seems simple enough for me to do it. I will say that I am concerned about the frost line in colorado though. If I get my wish, ill be building near Idaho Springs which is cold, cold, cold. Piers have to go below the frost line correct? I guess if that is true, pouring a foundation could be less money.

patrickandbianca
08-12-2013, 04:28 AM
Patrick, congrats on the move in. Bet it feels awesome.

Thanks. We will get some pictures up soon.

Patrick

blane
08-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Way to go Patrick. We were running neck and neck for a while and I think you got me when you decided to hire out the drywall. I am still hanging some and will finish it this week.I did cry uncle and will hire out taping and mudding the stuff. Hope to be in by Thanksgiving myself.
Thanks. We will get some pictures up soon.

Patrick

patrickandbianca
08-12-2013, 07:49 AM
Hiring out drywall really sped things along. I also started working 4 14 hour days a week.

Patrick

dazedandconfused
08-12-2013, 04:24 PM
LogVet, I also am a novice, anyone who came out to my build can attest but I am learning and I am a hard worker. Since April I have started my build and below is the last pic, I have no building exp to speak of , you will learn methods and shortcuts, I usually ask questions that have me stumped but in a few hours or days 10 people respond with answers and pics because I don't comprehend unless I see. And if you haven't heard the other side muuuchhhh better than this side, good luck and thanks for your service.

http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb401/jweber52376/Log%20Home/DSC_0187-2.jpg (http://s1204.photobucket.com/user/jweber52376/media/Log%20Home/DSC_0187-2.jpg.html)

jrdavis
08-15-2013, 07:28 AM
logvet --
Stay safe!
Update your profile and/or let us know where home is. --wait -- Denver. I see in first post.

come home and take the class!!
You are in a fortunate area for logs of all types.
PERFECT for our way of building.

James
USMC

John17three
08-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Well, in a government state, people would not be able to exercise this kind of freedom. Building would be left to the "professionals," paid by the gov't and states. Here and now--in America--this is happening with education. Slowly people are loosing the right to educate their kids themselves. But right now, we have the individual right to build our own homes, exercise our creativity and natural abilities to create (within certain boundaries--like permits and regulations--which are in the long term probably a good thing). Side bar: As much as we complain about inspectors, most people in our nation are thankful for their involvement in every aspect of manufacturing and construction (not just homes).....says the guy (me) who needs no building permits outside the county line, lol. Anyway, quality control (or lack thereof) can affect others around us. Its important whether we like the process or not.

To many in our world, this liberty is in fact "too good to be true." However, the honeymoon phase will probably wear off halfway through your build, and you'll quickly realize you are married to a project that doesn't always cook you breakfast, and will sometimes argue back. :-)

Mosseyme
08-15-2013, 04:36 PM
So, since you don't need the "big brother on your project" but you think he is probably a good thing to have , are you calling him to come do inspections? Just wondering?

Kennit
08-15-2013, 11:58 PM
It seems that when most people are complaining about getting a permit, the biggest issue is the cost of it. The cost of a few sheets of paper and a stamp aren't too much. Most of the price tag is to pay for the inspectors time to come out to your site and perform the inspections.

What's the old saying? Time is money.

jrdavis
08-16-2013, 05:18 AM
It strikes up a conversation of rights AND personal responsibility.
many people don't like BOTH.
whether homes schooling, OSHA 'standards' (haha), or taxes.
I don't like the 3 regs we have in our county -- 911 number, well and septic. But from what I've seen of the people building ANOTHER shack on "their" property and the septic runoff gets in the water supply or rescue can't find them when they need help......
it MIGHT be a necessary evil.
It don't me that I got to like it :)

JD

BUT to stay on topic ---
YOU can do it, Logvet. Just give us a shot.

edkemper
08-17-2013, 09:17 AM
> whether homes schooling,

Yet the government has failed to properly educate them for us.

> OSHA 'standards',

Comes with liabilities to protect us from employers.

> or taxes.

Overly easy to get out of paying them if you're rich.

We'd be far better off if we were governed by representation. There isn't one clown in either house or party that represents 99% of us anymore.

We need to be far enough out of town to be able to just pay our taxes and be left alone to manage our own affairs. Off grid even better.

jrdavis
08-17-2013, 10:20 AM
ed --

a hearty 'here here'

and a wink.

BoFuller
08-17-2013, 11:08 AM
I 3rd that!

rreidnauer
08-17-2013, 02:13 PM
We need to be far enough out of town to be able to just pay our taxes and be left alone to manage our own affairs. Off grid even better.That's why I'm doing exactly that.

Iwordsmitty
08-17-2013, 04:05 PM
I took this class shortly after retiring from the Army in 2004 (not sure when it was, though). My thought was that I'd be good to go if I just wanted to really leave the world and its crazies behind. I have my land, equipment and tools now and I'm ready to build. That said, no, not too good to be true. But leaving the crazy world behind IS too good to be true. You just can't do that. I was fed up then. Angry. PTSD--before they called it that. But I've dealt with that frame of mind--abandoning society, and wondering if I could really build a cabin. I built a large 2-story barn first. Then I started working on myself. I'm now a Public Affairs Officer civilian with the Army! You and I--we know what it is to accomplish a mission. Don't worry, bro. You can do this. *If you figure out how to use your GI Bill to pay for the class, let me know. I may be able to get reembursed, but I was in such a hurry to do this back then that I just paid for it out of pocket.

Timber
08-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Hope you believe there are better places than Denver. So if the prices on land are too step think outside Denver.

logsforveterans
08-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Thank you for the encouraging thoughts and detailed stories and pictures.

IwordSmitty - it is refreshing and convincing to hear of someone that has been in the same boat as me so thanks for your input. I actually don't be using the gi bill. I've exhausted it already getting my bachelors and masters. I do think you could get away with it these days however if you jumped through the right hoops. Using the gi bill has seemed like more of a matter of perseverance than anything else be wise every student has different needs and the va really doesn't understand how to help anybody at first.

Anyways, Timber- yes I really do want to get out of Denver. The further west of Denver you go the cheaper the land gets and the prettier the land is. Not to mention the further west you go, the closer you get to snowboard country. But my work in IT will likely keep me at arms reach of Denver. I guess I'm trying to find a balance between having a short drive to work and living on cheap property outside of the city where nobody can bother me.

BoFuller
08-18-2013, 07:47 AM
I outsource the IT work at my office and they hardly ever come on site. Almost all work is done remotely. Couldn't you live farther from Denver and work more remotely? Just a thought.

logsforveterans
08-18-2013, 10:01 AM
Bo- I really hope the future will bring that benefit my way. Telecommuting is definitely a magic word in my word bank. In the past the consulting I've done has been mostly on site, but maybe life will throw me a bone and I'll start moving to 3-4 days a week at home.

I'm constantly surprised by the number of folks within this community who have similar life experiences and offer helpful advice to people they don't even know. Tango Mike.

Opie21
08-23-2013, 01:40 PM
Hope you find what you are looking for in CO logsforvets. I did but it took me over 3 years of working with a realtor to do so. I got me 35 acres near Canon City and it is beautiful, got a stream, wooded hills... looks like a scene from Wild Kingdom. I too sat in the sandbox for 12+ months and read the LHBA site religiously, keeping my dream alive and waiting for the day I could attend the course. I'm finally going next weekend so the plan is in motion. Like you, I can't say enough for the people on this site, they treat everyone like family and it's amazing. I've found that I'm not the only vet that has seen too much overseas and is ready for a little solitude and piece of something that I can call my own.

Let me know if you want I can hook you up with my realtor, they handle properties all around the Colorado Springs area and are great people. I think there might even be some properties near me that came on the market. Keep your head down and come home safe brother.

edkemper
08-25-2013, 02:01 PM
Tango Mike,

> I'm constantly surprised by the number of folks within this community who have similar life experiences and offer helpful advice to people they don't even know.

We know you better than you think. Welcome and thanks for your service.Hope to see you on the other side soon.

logsforveterans
08-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Opie--
Thanks for your input. I would love to get the name of your realtor. It sounds like I may see you in the next class, whenever that turns out to be. One more mission to go and I'm stateside!

Opie21
09-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Very cool, I know it's going to be great getting back home. I'll make sure all the realtor POC information is still correct and send to you via PM. Take care and have a safe trip!

-- If any others want the POC info just PM me and I will be happy to provide.

logsforveterans
09-03-2013, 11:06 AM
Thanks Opie. Much appreciated.

DanS
09-05-2013, 11:07 AM
If I get my wish, ill be building near Idaho Springs which is cold, cold, cold. Piers have to go below the frost line correct? I guess if that is true, pouring a foundation could be less money.

Not true.

It doesn't get cold until you get to Georgetown.

Yeah, it has the potential to get cold, but on the whole, it's not all that cold until you get to western Clear Creek County.

Interestingly, the high land prices are generally in eastern Clear Creek County (and forget about Jefferson County).

No matter what you use as a foundation it will go below frost line. The point is to put the foundation deep enough into the ground that the ground no longer moves as the surface warms and cools. You want a solid foundation (see what I did there? :) ).

There are at least three LHBA builds sometime in the near future in Clear Creek County. I'm probably farthest along, having a driveway, septic and well in. But at this point, I doubt I will build until the winter/spring of 2015. Have never had a loan from a bank, and don't intend to start in my mid thirties, so saving up some cash to build is pretty key for me at this point, so I'm guessing not a whole lot will be going on for the next year or so.

There are still good deals on land out here. But you've got to wait. We were looking for a couple of years before we found our land, and then worked for about a year to purchase that land.

Dan

doneill530
09-08-2013, 01:56 PM
We just bought some Colorado land just three hours south of Denver for a pretty good price near Fort Garland / San Luis. 5.5 acres at a good price.

Ellsworth
08-03-2024, 07:01 AM
11 year bump to seek some recent opinions from members.

travman
08-14-2024, 09:06 PM
11 years already? Really?? Crazy. Well, personally I took the class in 2007. In Skips home. Visited a few homes over the years including LHN's. Actually slept one night in his beautiful home. All that to say, while I still don't have a log home, the dream is still alive for me. Life has given me twists and turns. The dream even went dormant for a while. Started looking abroad to potentially retire one day. Some place warm. Tropical. Then I met a girl that lives a half mile from my house. One that has always dreamed of living in a log home, btw. Haha. Couple more years of contract work to pay off the house loan, then back home and we'll see what happens next. Not getting any younger.

loghousenut
08-15-2024, 07:33 AM
It's time.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

loghousenut
08-15-2024, 07:35 AM
Maybe it's time She slept here.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

travman
08-15-2024, 09:06 PM
Yes, sir! Ain't getting any younger.