PDA

View Full Version : Average Cost

Janelle
06-11-2013, 07:56 PM
I am very interested in building a butt and pass log style home. From what I can gather, it seems to be less expensive but more labor intensive and durable over time. Despite all of my research, i am having a hard time finding numbers. From your knowledge or experience, what would most likely be the AVERAGE cost to build a 2400 square foot 3 bedroom 2 bathroom butt and pass log home, (not accounting for the cost of the land)? I am willing to put in the work and the time and it would be especially great to not have a mortgage. I just want to get an idea for what the actual cost would be. Any insight or information that you could share would be greatly appreciated!

marronnin
06-11-2013, 08:04 PM
A quick use of the search tool resulted in these:

http://community.loghomebuilders.org/search.php?searchid=295078

And let me be the first to say "Take the class" ;)

loghousenut
06-11-2013, 09:19 PM
Here we go again... And I say that in the nicest way, Janelle. In the end, after all the bickering and squabbling because nobody has the answer, just trust me on this one... If you want to build your own log home with your own hands, you're in the right place. You can do it.

Steve
06-12-2013, 01:38 AM
A quick use of the search tool resulted in these:

http://community.loghomebuilders.org/search.php?searchid=295078

Unfortunately our forum software can't (easily) handle re-posting of searches that you've done, so the URL you posted no longer works. Here's one that does:

Click to search (http://community.loghomebuilders.org/search.php?do=process&query=cost&titleonly=true&forumchoice[]=37&contenttype=vBForum_Post)

This one shows posts with "cost" in the title, in the general discussion forum. I don't know if that matches what you were searching for exactly, but it should help get Janelle started...

If anyone is interested in constructing URLs that execute specific searches when clicked, just let me know and I will post a quick primer on the subject.

LogHomeFeverDan
06-12-2013, 03:53 AM
Janelle, please don't be offended and I'm not attempting to be a smart arse. What's the average cost of a 2400 sq ft, 3 bdrm 2 ba house?

No matter what construction method you choose, the question cannot be honestly answered as it's stated. There are a litany of questions you'd have to answer before an honest reply could be proffered.
Where are you building? Cost of permits? Are utilities present? Is the PERC test completed? Do you have logs on your property? What foundation will you choose?........the questions are endless and affect the "average" price.

I know sometimes we sound like "robots", but we've been to the class and we KNOW it's value. If you are concerned about dollars, if you truly want to build a log home, if building a home sans a mortgage is a high priority, if you want a low maintenance, solid log home, you can build yourself, or if you simply want to be a highly educated log home owner, take the class.

I also understand acutely the "hesitation" you'll have in spending the money and time to take the class. I felt the same way. Pardon me Nike but "just do it!". (-; You can build a LHBA house on your budget. That sounds illogical now it won't after the class. In my humble opinion, there is NOTHING you could do that will save you more money than taking the class.

The largest factor affecting "cost" is time. Of course, if you all gold plated components, that will increase "average cost" as well. The class not only educates us on the "whys" of LHBA construction methods, but educates on obtaining building materials. I can make this statement with confidence and complete intellectual honesty, if you want a strong, solid, quality home you can build yourself there is no more economical way than the LBHA way.

Even if you don't build it yourself, take the class. You'll make MUCH better decisions once you are educated.

John W
06-12-2013, 06:32 AM
I can't remember the person who gave my favorite answer to this question. It was something like, if you have a 15 year old pickup truck that you keep running yourself, are handy, willing to do much/most of the work yourself and have the time, you can build the house for $50K. If you own a brand new 2013 Chevy Silverado Dually that cost you $40,000, your house is probably going to cost $300,000.

It's about attitude. It's about time. It's about how nice of 'stuff' you want to put inside. Slate floors over in-floor heating, jacuzzi tubs, granite countertops, a $3,000 stained glass front door. I've heard of kitchen remodels that the rich folks spent $40,000 on just the custom cabinets. From what I've read on this site, just the decision to use mortar chinking vs Permachink could be a difference of well over $5,000.

Cost is one of the first questions we've all asked. I've asked about it. I've asked some really basic questions, probably some stupid ones. But there are great guys and girls on this site that are very helpful, patient and encouraging. It's just that this is an impossible question to answer accurately, there are just too many variables.

So read everything you can get your hands on, and keep taking steps toward the dream.

rreidnauer
06-12-2013, 06:53 AM
At the risk of sounding snarky, who cares what the average cost is, when all that really matters is what is within an individuals budget? That's the determining factor on cost for my build anyhow.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

panderson03
06-12-2013, 07:59 AM
At the risk of sounding snarky, who cares what the average cost is, when all that really matters is what is within an individuals budget? That's the determining factor on cost for my build anyhow.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2 right. so if you have $50,000 you can spend on your build, get estimates for materials for all phases of the build. if you don't have enough money, build smaller.

rocklock
06-12-2013, 09:25 AM
If I was building for my self - no wife - I would be done and spent less than 50K for everything. I am married so currently we are approaching 200K over 8 years counting land acquisition. We have a bunch to go. Maybe another 4 or five years before we call it finished. So what's average? As I have said it don't matter If you are happy with the journey.

Dave
Sent from my iPhone
If can - can. If can not - can not.

Plumb Level
06-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I think that was me with the truck analysis. I still like the wedding cost analysis by Shari. I'm still going strong on my 2002 GMC 3/4 ton crew cab. Spending about $1500 this week on maintenance so that it will go another 3 or 4 years.

The suggestions to "take the class" are well intended and spot on. You will learn so much, even if you decide not to build this style, the knowledge will be worth 10 times the cost of the class.

After taking the class, you will have the knowlege to price out your idea of a build to within probably a 10% level of accuracy either way.

On my cabin build, 90 - 95% of the labor myself, I'm going to run about $55/sf on 800 finished square feet. That includes a 9 foot unfinished basement (hired that), a well, and electric. There will be no granite, a tiny kitchen, 1 partition for a small bedroom, and one small bathroom. It does not count the telehandler that I bought for the build that my wife thinks I'm selling after this build is complete:p

blane
06-14-2013, 05:58 AM
I am looking at about $45 per sq' doing everything myself except grading. 2,300 sq' 4 beds 2.5 baths. My place will be pretty simple with no bells and whistles. I will upgrade some things later as I save more money.
I am very interested in building a butt and pass log style home. From what I can gather, it seems to be less expensive but more labor intensive and durable over time. Despite all of my research, i am having a hard time finding numbers. From your knowledge or experience, what would most likely be the AVERAGE cost to build a 2400 square foot 3 bedroom 2 bathroom butt and pass log home, (not accounting for the cost of the land)? I am willing to put in the work and the time and it would be especially great to not have a mortgage. I just want to get an idea for what the actual cost would be. Any insight or information that you could share would be greatly appreciated!

rckclmbr428
06-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Good, cheap, or fast. You can only pick two.....

rocklock
06-14-2013, 09:41 AM
Well I guess I'm the exception. I can only choose one, and it ain't fast.

Dave
Sent from my iPhone

loghousenut
06-14-2013, 09:50 AM
Well I guess I'm the exception. I can only choose one, and it ain't fast.

Dave
Sent from my iPhone

I'm with you in spades, Dave.

edkemper
06-28-2013, 03:00 PM
If you own a brand new 2013 Chevy Silverado Dually that cost you $40,000,

If you can buy a brand new 2013 Chevy Silverado Dually for $40,000 you are also likely to build your log home for about $100. My buddy's 05 (not dually) was over $50,000. Smile

rreidnauer
06-28-2013, 08:04 PM
If ya told someone back in the 80's that people will some day pay 50K for a pickumup truck, they woulda laughed you clean out of the county. Or at least say, not in their lifetime. :what:

BarstowRat
06-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Janelle, Don't be frustrated or upset with the round about answers. I have a friend who is a member and I still get the vague round about treatment. I know that some things he has said he has gotten for free, but in man hours it cost him more. Equally I have seen the ingenuity it takes to make something that should cost a first born, be created for free. I believe the biggest factors in cost boils down to two things. 1) What can you do? Do you have friends or family with skills? or will you have to have everything contracted out? 2) How fancy of a person are you? Are you ok with simple fixtures? Reclaimed products? Can you handle seeing the nail heads in flooring? Or do you need marble, granite, crystal, chrome and stainless?

Hope this makes sense.

Kennit
07-07-2013, 11:39 AM
I don't think you even need the skills when you start out, you just need a 'can-do' attitude. There are so many helpful people in the members forum that will help you with any question you have. Some people will give detailed explanations of how to carry out your next step, others will post a diagram if an explanation just sounds to confusing, and still others might even come out to your place and lend a hand. If you decide this is what yo want to do, you will aquire the skills as you progress through your build.

John17three
07-18-2013, 10:02 AM
I plan on doing a cost post as I build my home for posts like this, but from what I've found on pricing for different phasing of the build, it'd be difficult to get an average. 1 guy buys beams for 35 bucks, another pays retail at $185, and then another fella gets his free because he chops'em down and cuts'em up himself. I gotta pay $2500 just to get the water across the road! Better price than a well, I suppose. Others just catch rain water.

My budget would seem high to some, low to others. It really depends on the context you are living, the needs of your building, and what your build sight requires. So many factors. I'm hope to build my 30x30 for $60K (free family land), but expect to probably push $75K by the time its done. Who knows. My hope is that completed it'd be worth double my investment. That's kinda what I'm shootin' for.

jrdavis
09-05-2013, 08:34 AM
I just ran across this article from Backwoods and thought of this thread....
Thought I'd post for future reference and questioners.

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/ainsworth27.html
See the bottom of the artciles for 'costs'.
albeit not a LHBA home.. the methods are the same for DIY's.

JD