PDA

View Full Version : A new comer

amos
05-05-2013, 02:22 AM
Hi Guys,

Somehow, I stumbled onto this website, and boy am i glad i did.

this really seems to good to be true.

like many others, my dream is to build my own log home by myself or with a close family member.

i am currently studying abroad in Europe and I have exams during the time period that the class is, but i'm seriously thinking about buying the $1500 ticket to fly over for 3 days to take this course. is this really a recommend course? will i really learn to build an entire house from A - Z? will this class include information for more complicated designs, like 2 floor structures etc?

also another question:

is this still an industry today, (2013) that is profitable?

thanks a bunch!

rreidnauer
05-05-2013, 05:16 AM
Amos, you've done as so many others before you. Most folks end up here by chance. You'd think it wouldn't still be such a little known site in this day and age, but I guess the internet is a vast land.

To answer your first question, no, the class doesn't teach EVERYTHING to building your home. There's simply not enough time to cover every aspect in the 24 hours of schooling. It will teach you the basics to build your superstructure, what pitfalls to avoid, how to source materials, and recommendations for efficient layouts. The forums then become the extension to the classes, which help fill in any blanks that you might have after the whirlwind of a class schedule. For those who've been through the classes, most will tell you the system works beautifully.

Yes, second floor construction techniques are absolutely discussed. In fact, by design of the elements taught, there are no structurally supporting interior walls in an LHBA home, leaving you many options for your design.

It's very much profitable. We have one member on here who builds for a living, and I believe he's stretched pretty thin, with no risk of running out of work.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

amos
05-05-2013, 06:05 AM
Thanks a lot for the quick reply! I'm a young married guy with a kid and the thought of owning my own property and building my own house is a dream. I'm going to signup for the course and do it, even though it means flying across from Europe!

Is there a big learning curve with building or an special engineering that needs to be addressed? I'm a mechanical engineer by studies so just curious about that part.

amos
05-05-2013, 06:15 AM
Also, one more thing - is it possible with this type of log building to have big windows? =) my wife likes lots of light

Timberwolf
05-05-2013, 06:30 AM
Yup. :)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-EwpC9g3yfWY/Tt6YBtIlztI/AAAAAAAACWc/Jp4Wqwzh2-M/w724-h541/2011_12_+6_17_32.jpg

rreidnauer
05-05-2013, 06:52 AM
Ha ha! The learning curve is tiny. This is a building style that is very basic. You're pretty much just lumping logs on top one another and "nailing" them together. But at the same time, it's one of the strongest ways to build, and very forgiving if you make an error. (try saying that with scribed fit!) With your structural engineering background, you're not gonna have anything to worry about.

Big windows are not a problem. There are suggested setbacks from corners and percentage of wall removed, but are quite generous limitations. Also, if you wanted, the gables can be 100% glass!

amos
05-05-2013, 07:01 AM
Thanks Rreidnauer and timberwolf - i'm trying to explain to my parents and brothers that i'm taking a flight over and taking this course, and my brother thought i was crazy because he is working in construction now for 4 years and doensn't understand how i can learn this in 2 days (frankly i don't really understand yet either) where hasn't really scratched the surface yet in his field. i'm realizing that i'm starting to sound like a "looney" but i'm glad there are other "looney's" out there like me

edkemper
05-05-2013, 12:06 PM
Amos,

I know there are a few members living out of the US and maybe some will chime in here but I just can't imagine the flight home after the class. A couple hour flight I think I could handle but a very long flight? They'd have to put you in a padded room for a few days on arriving home.

This stuff is simpler than you think and is harder work than you think. But the payoff can be huge in many ways.

Welcome

LogHomeFeverDan
05-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Amos, I've not built a "real" structure my entire life. Yes I've built an ice fishing shack and a "deer camp", but never a REAL house. After the class I'm completely confident I can build. Now I will rely on the members on the member side. They are a PRICELESS wealth of information. I took the class in March of this year. Yes it's still viable and you CAN do it! Welcome aboard I believe you've found "home".

loghousenut
05-05-2013, 08:06 PM
Amos,
LHBA turned this guy...

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/walllogs9-09019.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/walllogs9-09019.jpg.html)

Into this guy...

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/Rafters9-2010442.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/Wow/Rafters9-2010442.jpg.html)

Any fool can do this Amos... All you gotta do is wanna.

amos
05-05-2013, 09:47 PM
It just looks so awesome! Thanks for all the support! I feel like if I don't jump on this now, i won't ever do it, and the information looks priceless.

I was reading on the forums regarding construction: is there a limit to the size of structure that you can build? i.e. i saw they recommend using a square structure rather than rectangular, and this makes sense - but say can you make a structure that is 2 tree lengths long rather than just one?

what about insulation and damp longs during storms? building for room for a fireplace?

amos
05-05-2013, 09:59 PM
sorry folks for all the questions - but one more thing: what about tools. i know they say you can fit the tools in the back of your truck, and i understand that performing 8000 hours of building isn't necessary to be able to do this - but what about safety? i imagine some onsite work about safety cannot be taught in class - or safety regarding cutting with chainsaws etc

rreidnauer
05-06-2013, 04:56 AM
Hopefully Rockclmbr will toss up a photo of his current build. For now, lets just say that his project can probably be seen from space. :)

With out a doubt, there is plenty of physical risk building one of these homes. Doing it with tools that "fit in the trunk" puts you at the highest risk, but all you have to do is be thinking, don't be careless as so many sheople are these days, always depending on someone or something to protect them. It's just a matter of using that blob of matter between your ears.

Gomer
05-06-2013, 05:16 AM
and not having a rope snap or .....
everything in life has risks for sure. Everything

LogHomeFeverDan
05-06-2013, 05:31 AM
Amos you can build any size you want. In class you'll be taught the rationale for building the way we build. Let me just give you a brief example of the "math" though. Hallucinate with me for a moment. We have the ability to obtain 60 foot logs. I decide to cut them in half and build a 30 by 30 home. You decide to cut 20 foot off each log and build a 20 X 40 foot home. What's the square footage of your home? and what's my square footage? You'll see students who build all different sizes and shapes etc. You'll learn in class the ideas for easy to build, low maintenance, and cost efficient. What you do after class is completely up to you. You will find however, the members side also has people that have built, are building, will build and build for a living to help you after class.

Yes you can build with tools you could fit in your trunk. Most decide not to go that route. The idea is, you will know how to build a long lasting, low maintenance, structurally STRONG, log home with simple basic tools you can fit in your trunk. You don't have to be a construction engineer either.

Lastly, safety is of paramount importance. In our March class we heard Mr Steve and Mr Ellsworth repeat time and again "do NOT become a logger". (-; Leave the dangerous stuff to other people trained to do so. They do cover chainsaw safety when cutting window/door openings. They do stress safety on the "jobsite". We must never forget, we're building with logs. If one falls or you do from a height, there's potential for serious injury.

loghousenut
05-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Definitely do not become your own logger. For the most part, the skills you learn while building your log home the LHBA way will happen slowly enough that you'll be able to figure them out without crushing yourself or someone you love. Mistakes can happen and it'll be like learning to drive or ride a motorcycle... You'll learn a lot while you're slowly making circles in the parking lot after the store is closed. By the time you are going 60mph in heavy traffic, you'll be figuring it out.

If you hate heights, like I do, you'll either be the one on the ground, or the one hanging on. As you're hoisting your lower logs, you'll be training yourself, and your helpers, where to stand as you hoist your upper logs. By the time your floor framing is half done, you'll be good with a nail gun or hammer.

Accidents happen but there have been scads of these things built by folks who are not normally builders and relatively few problems. The real safety factor is you... Just like life in general. There will be scrapes and bruises. Someone will straddle a floor joist. Hammers and thumbs can collide. Your job is to do it and keep folks alive and well. You mow your own lawn don't you?

A long time ago I made a mistake that should have killed the kid in my previous photos. I thought I'd never stack logs again, and yet I was able to eventually watch him walk the ridgepole of a log home that he will inherit. I think the end result, and the process itself, has been worth the risk.

It's not as dangerous OR as safe as it looks.

I repeat, definitely do not become your own logger. You'll do something stupid.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Our%20Home/The%20logs/Logging/House3-23-09-3-26-09070.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/Our%20Home/The%20logs/Logging/House3-23-09-3-26-09070.jpg.html)

amos
05-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Thanks again for all the responses guys - after spending a while in the military i'd really hate to go out with a log to the head - or worse G-d forbid hurt someone else.

I'm definitely taking this course - but do you think it is worthwhile to do one of those courses for 4 weeks that way you get experience working with a builder for safety issues - and i'm not talking about pounding your hand with a hammer - i mean more serious stuff?

are there any advanced fellows here on this forum that welcome new guys to work on projects to get exxperience?

LogHomeFeverDan
05-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Amos most anyone building would welcome an extra hand during the working part. We're not building yet but when we do I'll issue an open invitation. We're going to be building in Western North Carolina around Lake Lure. If you want to get "hands on" you'll be able to arrange same. Just remember it'll be on the "builders" time frame. (-; Some of us are slower than others.

amos
05-06-2013, 09:13 AM
that's great thanks a lot!

another group from http://www.moosemountain.com seemed like a nice guy and offered an attractive course and mentioned that the 4th week they learn to build stairs and truss.

is that covered in the course?

rocklock
05-06-2013, 09:57 AM
I know you know about 3-4-5 triangles. The stairs are exactly that. I have written several topics on stairs, math, roof angles and the like, it's all really simple, but its on the members side. Where are you planning on building?

amos
05-06-2013, 10:10 AM
3 - 4 -5 i can do =)

does craftsmanship play a role here at all? i mean some of these places that are on the site and that i've seen look like they have had an unbelievable set of hands working on them

amos
05-06-2013, 10:13 AM
also just to get an idea of pricing - how much can you get logs for? i.e. does price go up as length of log increases? or is it just by foot per diameter?

loghousenut
05-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Amos, Amos, Amos...

If you'd like a career in log home building, there a re a number of courses and schools to attend. Those folks at Moose Mountain are probably great. A number of LHBA members have made a living at it also.

If you want to build your own home with your own hands, and you want it to be fairly maintenance free for your family and the next 2 or 3 or 4 generations, AND if you'd like to do it without a 30 year mortgage... Give LHBA a shot.

You'll figure out a way to get logs that you can afford just like the rest of us. In class you'll learn a few good tricks on how to look for logs and where to look. Once you're on the members side you'll hook up with the rest of us and shake hands with a few of us and probably sweat a drop or two on a build or two. You'll make contact with members who live nearby and have found logs and they'll have a head start for your locale. If my Brother Bo can figure out how to get those gorgeous, big ole monster logs that he found in the middle of the desert, well heck, most anyone can. Bo's just not all that smart (ha).

I think you're overcomplicating things. It works. It keeps on working. It's next to impossible to find anyone who's done it this way who won't heartily endorse the LHBA class. If you're smart enough to buy the LHBA plan set, you'll save enough to pay yourself back for the class right there. On top of that, you'll have folks like Rod, Ronnie, Dan, Mossey, Ellsworth, Steve, Stressman, Justa, Tom, Bo.... And on and on and on, talking you through it and trying their best to keep you from painting your logs LSD blue.

As for craftsmanship. Yes, we all pride ourselves on a certain level of craftsmanship, proficiency, and professionalism. I'm thinkin' you'd fit right in. We'll tackle your stairs together.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/3rdsilllog8-27-09029.jpg (http://s157.photobucket.com/user/loghousenut/media/3rdsilllog8-27-09029.jpg.html)

amos
05-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I'm sold on it man! I'm just excited for the class and i gotta move a final exam so i can attend the class

StressMan79
05-07-2013, 05:03 PM
I'm sold on it man! I'm just excited for the class and i gotta move a final exam so i can attend the class

You can do it. I found myself a good helper, and that makes tons of difference.

loghousenut
05-08-2013, 10:18 AM
Hey StressMan,

Get over on the members side. I need you to argue something out with Rod.

Don't worry Amos. I'll get him right back to you. Sorry you couldn't come along with us. Mark the date and you can go back to it once you've been to class. It's an engineering problem about 6" thick door hardware and eliminating chamfer.

fireman9
05-08-2013, 02:14 PM
that's great thanks a lot!

another group from http://www.moosemountain.com seemed like a nice guy and offered an attractive course and mentioned that the 4th week they learn to build stairs and truss.

is that covered in the course?

Amos, take the class. After checking that website I noticed they said plan on spending $300 and more per square foot. I'm building mine for $40 sq. Ft. Plus I won't be a slave to the lender when I finish this summer. You can do it and you don't have to worry about building trusses. They don't teach it in class because you won't need them. Thank you for your service to our country!

ChuckH55
05-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Everytime someone new comes along, everyone throws in with encouragement! I like that alot and gives us newbees that shot we need. While I'm not in the inner circle of those that have attended, yet. I'm learning alot ever time a spend time here... I really hope to make the Fall class... got friends in Vegas too....

loghousenut
05-11-2013, 08:32 PM
Chuck, why don't you get together with Amos, and invite along your friends from Vegas and we'll talk Ellsworth into giving you a group rate on class. If you can muster up Ben, Pioneer, Mr. Beak, Squireltalker, Gomer, Donjuedo, and that ole Barstow Rat, and talk them all into paying with their Costco American Express, Steve will cook lunch for everyone on a coal forge on the balcony. It's time we legitimized a bunch of you long-time lurkers.

You know you want to do it. It's simply a matter of commitment and determination.

donjuedo
05-12-2013, 04:00 AM
LHN,

Yes, I am on that list. I lurk every single morning, and this past week made a fresh tally of the costs again (class, travel, LHBA plans). I've been quiet, but focussed on this goal, saving cash and vacation time at my new job.

Peter