PDA

View Full Version : Curing Logs? I am new to the forum.

silversalmonscott
02-02-2006, 08:26 AM
Can anyone tell me if a person cuts their own logs can you stack the walls and such with them in the next few months, or do you need to store them and let them cure for a period of time. I am sure that they go over this in the class which I am definitely going to go to this year. I am starting the early planning stages of building. The location may be a remote one with access by boat or float plane only. So any info would be very helpful.

Thank You!
Scott

rreidnauer
02-02-2006, 08:51 AM
You can stack the logs immediately upon cutting down and peeling IF you use the methods taught in the class. In fact, for certain aspects of the construction, it can make some tasks easier.

Dean
09-27-2006, 07:32 AM
You can stack the logs immediately upon cutting down and peeling IF you use the methods taught in the class. In fact, for certain aspects of the construction, it can make some tasks easier.

What tasks would be made easier by stacking the logs immediately after cutting?

mbailey
09-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Dean,

One of the primary task that will be easier with green logs is the pinning of the logs together with rebar. The class gives detailed instruction about how to pin the logs together with 1/2 inch rebar every 2 feet or so. When logs are dried out completely it becomes more difficult to pound the rebar into the logs. Much like splitting green wood is easier that splitting seasoned wood for the most part. It is ok to season the logs but mainly depends on the species of tree. If you are seriously considering building a log home, take the class. You will learn a great deal.

Take care,

Mark