PDA

View Full Version : New Here! More North GA Pine Questions

talkstosquirrels
04-15-2013, 12:56 PM
Hello Errrrrrbody,

Hoping to go to the May class and have a few questions.

First question: Does anyone know if Loblolly Pine is appropriate for building? And if Loblolly is the same as Alabama/Georgia pine and if is also considered Yellow or White? The question is yes, convoluted that's why a simple Google search didn't do it.

Lastly: I read that it is suggested to take the course TWO YEARS prior to intend on building??? Why is this? I wanted to get started ricky-tick.

Thank you in advance.

TTS

panderson03
04-15-2013, 03:21 PM
HI there TTS. welcome. some here have/are building with loblolly pine but its not the best. tends to check.
yup 2 years. it'll take that long to gather all the materials/tools you'll need to build :) unless you're independently wealthy and don't need to find stuff cheep?

loghousenut
04-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Of course, you can build as soon as you like but LHBA class will probably change a thing or two in your life and it usually takes some time to round up all your loose ducks and get them in a row. We have had a few folks jump out of class and right into building mode. One recent grad is building so quickly that I'm fairly certain that he was peeling logs on his lunch brrak in Vegas.

Remember, your goal is to build your own log home and not force your heirs to finish paying the bank note when you kick the bucket.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

AkChas
04-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Welcome TTSquirrels.

Doesn't matter if 2 years or 2 weeks. Most important is that you take the class BEFORE you start your build. Lots of eye-opening ideas will change things up.
The 2-year prior, thing, is a rule-of-thumb. That allows you to acquire land, find a source for logs and gather up tools / materials. But some folks are more resourceful than others -- or have land and log source already, etc.

What general area in No. GA are you? My Dad is outside Rome/Summerville. We do an annual trip to Helen (around Sep/Oct, naturally : )

Mosseyme
04-16-2013, 04:21 PM
AK
Maybe you could make a side trip this fall.

AkChas
04-16-2013, 08:12 PM
AK
Maybe you could make a side trip this fall.

Probably will, Mossey. We missed each other by a day or two, last time. At the rate ya'll are going, I may need to have my chinking trowel handy :)

talkstosquirrels
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
HI there TTS. welcome. some here have/are building with loblolly pine but its not the best. tends to check.
yup 2 years. it'll take that long to gather all the materials/tools you'll need to build :) unless you're independently wealthy and don't need to find stuff cheep?

Can you give me a basic list of the tools I will need and a ballpark price?

talkstosquirrels
04-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Welcome TTSquirrels.

That allows you to acquire land, find a source for logs and gather up tools / materials. But some folks are more resourceful than others -- or have land and log source already, etc.

What general area in No. GA are you? (around Sep/Oct, naturally : )

Thanks for the reply AKChas.

I already do have a nice 10 acres of land in Dawsonville nestled up on the WMA with plenty of Loblolly Pines. If other logs are better, I see adds wanting trees removed in that general area quite often and have the equipment to remove them and transport them. I just want to get crackin and not let the newly acquired skill perish. Wondering what kind of tools/equipment I'm going to need prior to taking the course so I can start gatherin.

talkstosquirrels
04-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Probably will, Mossey. We missed each other by a day or two, last time. At the rate ya'll are going, I may need to have my chinking trowel handy :)

Sounds like I know the first piece of kit needed.... a chinking trowel! lol How many more on the list?

Mosseyme
04-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Can you transport 35' to 40' logs? Lots of dying Hemlock in the NF. Excellent logs for building.
Bug resistant, drys hard and clean. Yea! another neighbor! Hope you can make the May class.l

talkstosquirrels
04-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Ya, I believe I can. How many will I need for about an 1800 sqfooter? Loblolly better for my chicken houses ey (yes originally from MN).

Mosseyme
04-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Depends on how big they are and how high you want to go. Best to wait for class.
We are less that 2 hr from you. We sometimes meet our son from Atlanta at Amicalola falls for an afternoon visit.

marvlus
04-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Hello Errrrrrbody,

Hoping to go to the May class and have a few questions.

First question: Does anyone know if Loblolly Pine is appropriate for building? And if Loblolly is the same as Alabama/Georgia pine and if is also considered Yellow or White? The question is yes, convoluted that's why a simple Google search didn't do it.

Lastly: I read that it is suggested to take the course TWO YEARS prior to intend on building??? Why is this? I wanted to get started ricky-tick.

Thank you in advance.

TTS
With regards to Loblolly, it is know as a SYP (Southern Yellow Pine). I live in west central Georgia and plan to use it.

talkstosquirrels
05-03-2013, 08:28 AM
Depends on how big they are and how high you want to go. Best to wait for class.
We are less that 2 hr from you. We sometimes meet our son from Atlanta at Amicalola falls for an afternoon visit.

NICE. That is right around the corner from me. I just registered for the class. I'll be seeking assistance on the build Im sure. WOuld be nice for a stop-through now and again!

AkChas
05-03-2013, 08:44 AM
NICE. That is right around the corner from me. I just registered for the class. I'll be seeking assistance on the build Im sure. WOuld be nice for a stop-through now and again!

Just got -- and replied to -- your PM, TTS. That's GREAT news Bud. Heed what I suggest in my reply (bright-eyed/bushy-tailed, take many notes in class, etc). You're gonna come out the other side with a whole new outlook man.

Probably be seeing you on one of my trips to NW GA. Keep in touch!