PDA

View Full Version : Plans and engineering

droakes12
04-07-2013, 05:40 AM
Hey ya'll! I joined the site, plan on attending the log home building course later in the year. My reason for wanting to build my own log home is twofold: 1) I've wanted to build a log home for 20 yrs, but never had the courage; and 2) I'm starting over in life at the age of 52, having to sell my home because of divorce, and now it is time to build my dream home AND gain financial freedom!

I've researched for months, and I am completely sold on the butt and pass method, as it will be affordable AND beautiful. I know I can do this!

My question: once I finalize my floor plan, are there architecture firms that specialize in Skip's butt and pass design that will engineer my plans? My county planning office requires detailed plans just as many of you have had prepared.

My plan is to build a small cabin "guest house" first, live in it while I build my log home, so hopefully I will be able to pull my permits for both buildings and only pay for one permit. Yeah, I know, wishful thinking!

Hope there will be a class around August/September time, I hope to have my house sold by then and have enough money save to attend the class.

I have hundreds of questions, but I'll hold them for the class lol!

David

LogHomeFeverDan
04-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Welcome aboard David! You caught the "fever"! I know sometimes it sounds like a broken record but I also know those of us who've attended class will reinforce, "take the class". In class you will gain access to "priceless" resources needed to build. The short answer to your question regarding plans is yes but the class will open your eyes and mind to more and possibly more economical solutions. You already have the mindset with regards to building a "guest house" first. Congrats. Ask questions here, read all you can here. Members will answer the ones we can without crossing the "proprietary" lines.

I believe like many before you and as I was not so long ago, (I attended class March 2nd and 3rd), you'll continue to discover a unique group of folks here who share your passion for log homes!

droakes12
04-07-2013, 06:44 AM
I have definitely caught the "fever"!!!! Building this log home is keeping me focused on the future instead of my present situation. God is great in that He opens doors for us to follow through if we have the will!

Zetmandu
04-07-2013, 07:42 AM
Welcome aboard David.
as you are now finding out, you will have many questions on this process. Read all you can on this side of of things until you are able to get into the class and then that will lead you to many more you didnt even know you had. Once you take the class you will have access to the members side and the great people here who share the same passion will help you every step along the way in any way they can.

To somewhat answer your question, I dont know that there are engineering firms that specialize in the butt and pass method, but there is one on the site here who can help those other engineering firms you find with any questions they might have

AkChas
04-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Welcome David.
One bit of advice -- don't get TOO dead-set on your plans, until you take the class. You'll learn considerations that might save you a lot of time, money and grief (i.e. build square, not rectangle,,,,,etc).
The money I spent on the LHBA class is the BEST money I spent on myself, since college tuition!
Read, Read, Read here, allthat you can. Nearly ALL the questions have been asked/answered. By that time, you'll be taking the class and have access to an order-of-magnitude, more information.
There are numerous B&P Friendly (saavy) engineers listed in the "$Million Rolodex". Take the Class. Become a lifetime Member. Enjoy the ride!
AkChas

loghousenut
04-07-2013, 08:45 AM
Welcome home David,

Keep drawing those dream plans if you like but you'll change most everything the day after class. There are four or five little switches in your brain that get flipped in class and it'll make you slap your forehead with your palm and suddenly say "What was I, NUTS??!".

Once you've been to class you'll have access to LHBA plans that make the process simpler, but you can redraw your dreams however you like. If your County requires engineer stamped plans you'll learn how to handle that process and the LHBA plans can be a shortcut. One way or another, you'll learn how to handle the permit process and you'll build a legal building.

You already know you can do it. The biggest head start we can offer you is the advice to take the next class. It really does all start with that step and whatever you do between now and then is just marking time and pacing in your prison cell. Read every word on this side of the forum and ready yourself for the flood of information that is on the member's side. Get used to sleepless nights... You'll love it.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Rafters9-2010220.jpg

LogHomeFeverDan
04-07-2013, 10:04 AM
LOL David, see you've even been welcomed "home" by our resident....well.....with all due "affection", our Chief NUT. Note the not so subtle added camouflage to the left of the Flag. I think Jake was getting ready to bow hunt from the ridgepole. He's got a nice sight window don't you agree?

droakes12
04-07-2013, 02:04 PM
I feel welcome already! Do classes run about once a month or so? I am so ready to start my life over and build this thing!

Oh yeah, I know, I know, wait for the class, but it soothes my heart to fiddle around drawing plans, keeps me motivated and on track! I've already been asking folks with land if they can spare a few Southern Pines, and everyone has offered to let me log a few trees form their property. The friend I plan to buy land form, his dad has about 100 acres and will let me take quite a few. So I'm getting ready, hope to be able to get to work after the class and get plans squared away!

Thanks for the pic Chief Nut!

eduncan911
04-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Welcome David. Yep, take the class. All ur current ideas will be changed.

To answer some other questions, part of class gains you access to the fully engineered plans available that are engineered to ICC standards and are ready to go. And, you can modify them as you see fit since you also gain the knowledge of will and won't work in class (it's a great Q&A forum for any ideas you have too).

The classes run a few times a year. By far the best way to know the schedule, and to get first dibs on any open seats, is to register for the mailing list on the homepage. That is the only way to get pre-access to the next class before it is announced on the public site.

Besides Memorial Day's Class, I think there may be only 1 or two more for the rest of the year. I have certainly been wrong before though. Register for that mainly list asap.

droakes12
04-08-2013, 05:50 PM
Thank you Eric, I will definitely sign up for the mailing list!