PDA

View Full Version : Small anxiety in beginning

Arghlita
01-23-2006, 08:22 PM
I'm not sure if I'm in the correct forum, but I'll just put this out and see what happens.

My situation is that I'm interested in attending the next class on log home building in Feb, but it will take some borderline scary budgeting to do so. I really want this, but it seems logical to just wait for my next chance. I wanted to know from people who've attended, would waiting be detrimental or wise in your opinion? I know this is all very relative, but I'm hoping for a little more input.

chadfortman
01-23-2006, 09:01 PM
Hey My name Chad,
Ive read many books on log home building some are not even in print any more i thought i knew almost everthing but i was wrong and learned allot in the class.
I am one those know it all guys but i did learn some things on how save money and build correct and not have rot problems.
If you want to save a buck i recomend not staying at the best western.
I didnt get any sleep there i could hear everone in the hallways.
Stay at the cheep motel in monroe looked more qwiet and peacefull.
Ow get ready for a 90 degree hill :lol: it kick your ass if your out shape ore smoke. :shock:

Arghlita
01-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Thanks Chad. I hope there are still spaces available and that I can get the money together. I don't have any credit cards or anything, so it's all finding the cash. I may just have to wait for next year, but I was wondering if there was any compelling reason not to wait.

loghomefun
01-23-2006, 09:28 PM
I guess I would say that the sooner you take the class before building, the more planning you can do, and the more money you can save.

I know that I learned a basic outline of how to plan for my project, and also how to do a lot of steps before building in order to save money while building. Somewhere on the website they mention their "2 year plan," it is either in their FAQ or the articles section. Once you learn all the stuff they teach you in class that 2 year plan starts making a lot of sense.

Doug

ChrisAndWendy
01-24-2006, 03:32 AM
Wendy and I went to a one day "Log & Timber Home" seminar and learned how to save $20K in the first hour, then I went to LHBA's class and learned how to save $100K. So if you have limited funds the choice is easy to make. Plus you will be impressed not only with Ellsworth & Steve's teaching style but the classroom (Skip's Home). Chris

wood bug
01-24-2006, 06:07 AM
Taking the class will save you $ as everyone has said, But that is a long term statement, it will save you money when you actually begin the planning and procurement stages. It is differant for evey person, like case specific, Alot of members learned how to save and still want it fast enough to take out some kind of mortgage or loan, so the amount you save will depend on your wants, its not a good thing or bad thing it depends on ones finance capabilities, resourcefulness and ingenuity even your local can impact the situation- Bottom line- if you can scrape, borrow, beg the money WITHOUT compramising your situation, then go so you can start "smart" planning now, BUT if it will bind you down then save up for the class, ( this is a fundamental concept taught in class- IE to save). The class, trip, area, Steve and Ellsworth are worth the trip alone, it is a fun laid back class with a great group of like minded people, good luck and do the best for you.

hoofer52
02-01-2006, 09:56 PM
First post on the forum, but couldn't pass up putting in my 2 cents on this subject.

I'm past the century mark & have been living pay check to pay check all my life. Lived by the theory, "He who dies with the most toys WINS"
Just figured it was the American Way.

Accidently came across the website one day in the spring of last year. Several classes came & went & I never went to any, but I couldn't get the site out of my mind.

Finally talked my wife into going with me to the September class. Yeah it wasn't cheap & yes I was already in dept up to my eyeballs & yeah I had to put it on plastic, but it's the best money I've spent in a long time.

It wasn't just about building the log home (although the info's great) It was being able to see the dream of being dept free & owning my own home free and clear.

My wife of 36 years & I now have a 7 year plan to build our home & be dept free; something I never thought possible till I took the class.

I say go to the class just a soon as you possibly can & good luck.

Dave & Koni

Lolo-Steve
02-02-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm past the century mark & have been living pay check to pay check all my life. Lived by the theory, "He who dies with the most toys WINS"
Just figured it was the American Way.

My wife of 36 years & I now have a 7 year plan to build our home & be dept free; something I never thought possible till I took the class.

I say go to the class just a soon as you possibly can & good luck.

Dave & Koni

Hoofer52, are you saying your over 100 years old and now have a plan to build your house and be debt free in 7 years? At 107 years old? Wow More power to you, I would not even think of building a house at 100 and would be very very happy to live that long much less live until I was 107.

Keep us posted on your plans and building progress please.

wood bug
02-02-2006, 11:50 AM
thats no joke steve, must be a typo, if not I want two of what you had hoofer, I'm betting you correct age is 52? half a century

Arghlita
02-02-2006, 07:05 PM
I actually don't even have credit cards, although I thought about getting one for this purpose it seemed a bit backward. Things have changed since then and I now need to get a job ASAP because my husband's job situation is shaky again. I was hoping to get just one full semester of school in without working in addition, but that is not to be. :(

hoofer52
02-02-2006, 09:33 PM
Sorry folks, it was past my bedtime & yes I meant past the half century mark. :oops:

Lolo-Steve
02-02-2006, 09:39 PM
Sorry folks, it was past my bedtime & yes I meant past the half century mark. :oops:

lol Ok thats kool too. I was pretty sure it was a typo lol

Flbeaver
02-04-2006, 07:12 AM
O.K. now that someone has brought it up. How old is too old to build one of these log homes? I know there are a lot of variables but just how much HARD physical labor is involved? I am 63 and wife is 62. Both in good physical condition. Neither minds and can do physical work, but are not interested in beating ourselves up day after day for a coulpe of years. We do like resonable but doable challenges. I can climb(wife does not like heights), pound nails,cut, ect., but have never built much of anything from scratch, especially of this magnitude. I do enjoy solving complicated probems and will stick with things untill finding a solution. I have read a great many of the posts on this forum and some days I think we could do this and some days I think "no way". What are the most difficult tasks to perform once you committ. Driving all those rebars and setting the ridge pole among other things seem to be pretty daunting tasks! We can afford and would anticipate hiring some of the work to be done, but would like to do a lot(most) of it ourselves. We are looking at two to three years from now to finish for the basic construction (probably in Colorado). Completion of entire project including landscaping, possibly another outbuilding, ect.will probably be ongoing for quite some time. I would definately attend the class should we decide to go ahead with this.

Soooo--- I know we are the only ones that can decide but, what do you experienced people think? Should we go for it or should we forget it and continue golfing (got my handicap down to 7)and our good but somewhat lacking in stimulation Florida retirement? :D

DYork
02-04-2006, 08:01 AM
Flbeaver,

I'm not quite as 'experienced in years' as you are, but share some of the same concerns. I'm 55. Nor have I built a log house, but it's been my experience since my 'post 50 year mark', that there are usually mechanical and/or electrical powered ways to overcome what I lack in physical strength, balance, and agility.
One of the links on lower left side of the main page leads to a well documented build in what I would describe as some of the harshest weather conditions I could imagine, and from the pictures, I'd say the builder was no younger than I am when he started. I have nothing but respect for accomplishing what he did, and it sure appears he did it all just about by himself. One very tough and determined individual. He gave a lot of credit to this organization, but also a good bit of what he did had to have come from raw commitment. It took him a while to do it, but considering he was working at times in 7' of snow, he did a heck of a job. I 'think' this is the one.

http://www.paulandellen.com/loghome/loghome.htm

One thing we are considering is to is build a smallish log tool/supplies storage building 1st, just to get an idea of the physical requirements.
Good luck in your endeavors.

Flbeaver
02-05-2006, 05:55 AM
DYork,

Thanks for the reply. The site you referenced is awsome. I can't say enough about what this guy accomplished. I don't think I have the time,skill,or patience to do this the way he did. This must be his hobby and a good part of his life. More power to him. I will be studying the information of his site for quite some time. Great details and pictures!

We also have condidered constructing a log storage building to gain experience but it would have to be fairly large (30 x 50) and since it would require many of the same tools and equipment needed to build the main house we still would have the problem of where to store and accumulate the needed items for construction. This is compicated by the fact that we currently live a long distance from where we will probably eventually build. We have considered having a metal storage shed built for us (hopefully one that would blend well with the area) and use it for storing the accumulated equipment as well as furnitue and other items from our current house that we will sell. Have not checked pricing on these buildings but hope they are not cost prohibitive. We currently have a completely self contained motorhome that we travel in several months of the year and could hopefully park near the storage building at various times and use this as our base. We would probably have 6-8 months of the year to work on the project during good weather. Security of the building and contents is also a concern since we will be absent for fairly long periods of time.

Concerning equipment: I am interested in what one piece of machinery that one could reasonably purchase that would be recommended for accomplishing the most tasks (i.e. tractor,backhoe,fromt loader,ect.).

These are just some of the thoughts and quentions we have. Any additional input from you"experienced "people are welcomed.

Like you say, "so many windmills--so little time".

The_Truth
02-05-2006, 08:19 PM
Another inspirational story is from a DVD (you can get at the library) called "Alone in the Wilderness". It is a story of a man that went to Alaska at age 51, built his own cabin, and lived there for the next 30+ years! He documented everything and also had a 8mm camera too. I had to watch it over and over. I am in my 30s and I felt pretty lazy after watching this guy! :shock:

It comes on PBS some times and there is a book also called "One Man's Wilderness".

rreidnauer
02-06-2006, 08:33 AM
Another inspirational story is from a DVD (you can get at the library) called "Alone in the Wilderness". It is a story of a man that went to Alaska at age 51, built his own cabin, and lived there for the next 30+ years! He documented everything and also had a 8mm camera too. I had to watch it over and over. I am in my 30s and I felt pretty lazy after watching this guy! :shock:

It comes on PBS some times and there is a book also called "One Man's Wilderness".

That is an incredibly good video. And the book is at least five times better than the video, because the video is only snippets from the book. Even the book only covers about 1 1/2 years of his life. I really wished the book wouldn't end, and this is from someone who doesn't really care to read books all that much.

nobleknight
02-06-2006, 01:35 PM
02-06-06

Hey,

In addition to the book, you can call Bob Sweerer productions phone number at the end of the DVD, and you can buy a VHS video called Frozen North in which Dick does the actual narration. The other DVD is called Alaska: Silence And Solitude. They re-visit Dick 20 plus years after he builds his cabin. I enjoy all this material very much. Dick was one of the last tough guys left in this world.

Tom
nobleknight
class 01-15-05

wood bug
02-07-2006, 04:22 AM
Welcome Flbeaver, Personaly I would say a decent sized used tractor with a front end loader, you can get all kinds of other attatchments as well, graple hooks, posthole diggers ect tra. If you havent gone to Skips class that would make a huge differance as far as your own assesment of ability, they also give several ideas how to get the " tedious" stuff done, so you could basically "run" the show if the "boss" lets ya. Good luck

Flbeaver
02-09-2006, 04:20 AM
Thanks Woodbug. I would never attempt this unless I took the class first. Just don't know when. We plan on traveling to the northwest this summer, probably in July-August. Hope they offer a class then. In the meantime I have been reading the book "Finding and Buying Your Place In The Country". Getting a lot of good ideas. Took their advice and have been looking at various county-city building codes, zoning info,ect. Seems like a LOT of hoops to jump through, but I suppose reading about this stuff probably makes it seem harder than it actually is. Kinda like reading the instructions and trying to assemble those things you get for Christmas. Usually I end up throwing the instructions away and just put it together! In reading this book so far I still go back and forth---After reading one section I think " yes, I can do this and then after another section it's "no way". I guess everyone goes through this. Probably until the day they finally decide.

dbtoo
02-09-2006, 04:27 AM
I have been reading the book "Finding and Buying Your Place In The Country". Does the book discuss tax liens and tax sale properties? You have to do your homework, and maybe have to get a surveyor, but it may be worth it. I'm looking at bidding on a tax lien on a property a 1/4 mile from my house. 20 acres - The lien is for $450 bucks. It may not be 'free', but it could be darn close.
However, access to the property, how remote something is, power, water, sewer/septic, these are all elements of the decision process.

WillandHelen
02-09-2006, 06:37 AM
Yeah,

Location of utilities and local utility hook-up costs are somthing to consider. I'm looking to build a road back to my site and am thinking how much time and effort it would have saved to already have one. (Especially when crossing a creek like I am)

wood bug
02-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Flbeaver, I have a friend who built in Co. cost him probably about 12% more because of the "hoops", BUT his house is worth almost $143,000 more than it cost him, according to his appraisal, so demograhpics will play a large portion on where to build it would seem, here in the south central states I would think the value would be considerabley less and the mntn states, east and west coast would carry the greater since the cost there are so high, I guess it comes down to what you want, of course the word "sweat equity" is good anywhere you build.

WillandHelen are right, I bought 15.28 acres here in TX cheap, Has a creek but no road, I have since put in most of the 2000' driveway and a 48" culvert and small pond for under $5,000 including 3 days of dozer work. The creek and the lack of a road, (heavily wooded), was why it was so cheap. $2600 an acre, but I'm still ok since land that size here is going for $4-8000 and acre. I also have 2 water wells on this property which also boost the value. So there are a few deals out there, you just have to "spot" them and see them for what they are and can be.

WillandHelen
02-09-2006, 09:10 AM
Right,

The point being not to go just by cost per acre. Think about all of the site work needed to build a house. Perhaps a place with an abandoned house or barn would be ideal because obviously some of the necessary work has already been done. Never forget the actuall costs of roadwork and utility work.

dbtoo
02-09-2006, 10:11 AM
Review this thread and read basil's reply's.
It gives a breakdown of his costs so far.

http://www.loghomebuilders.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6354&highlight=#6354

Flbeaver
02-10-2006, 04:59 PM
dbtoo

The book does discuss tax liens in the chapter entitled "Property Taxes and Assessments". Basically they say it is possible to find a deal but you must be very careful. Regulations vary greatly from state to state. The redemption period that the owner has to pay the back taxes and reclaim the land from the buyer ranges from zero to five years(California). One year is normal. You can get your money back from the seller (with interest) but then you have to start all over again looking for another piece of property. Also, if a person is in arrears on the taxes it is quite possible that he might be delinquent on other special assessments or other liens besides the tax lein. You definately want a "clean" title. An attorney is recommended for this type of purchase unless you are very adept and have the time to research the the various records in the court house yourself.

Also, I have reviewed the post by Basil which was very helpful in getting a "ballpark" figure on general costs. In fact, I have copied his espense log into the front of the book for easy reference.

wood bug
02-11-2006, 04:17 AM
Fl Beaver, You hit the nail on the head with the tax issue, it is a gamble, personaly, unless it was one of those deals that "was" to good to pass up I would personaly avoid tax siezed properties for those reasons you mentioned, I believe they also have to pay for the improvments, but I wouldnt want to get all lined out and "uncle Joe" steps in and pays the lein.
I used a Title company which is most common they do the search and gave me title insurance, Their fee was around $500.00
One other note I wouldnt put to much stock into what another person paid to build thier house there are to many variances but using thier (blank) cost sheet may help discover cost you may have not considered, but that too will change with every home, location, cost of living personal taste you know the drill, Buy the way I was Born In Orlando in 1962, I here Its not the same, :lol:

Flbeaver
02-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Woodbug,

We've only been in Florida off and on for 6 years and live about 50 miles northeast of Orlando near the coast so I don't know how it was back then, but I can tell you that driving through there now is always an adventure. I think southeastern and southwestern Florida must be getting built out. Central Florida is one growing place and property values are skyrockting.

I do like the winters here but man is it hot and humid in the summer! Gotta get out then. Ergo... looking towards the west for relief. It's not really any more hot or humid than it was in Indiana, but as you are aware it starts in June and lasts into October with very little relief. UGH!

A nice cabin at the right latitude and elevation in the west with a few golf courses nearby is what we're shooting for. Hope we can get this done. Will take the class when I can work it out and in the meantime we'll keep reading, studying, and collecting information. Gotta do it right the first time.

DYork
02-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Not sure if this will help the anxiety, but there is a rough calcuator for various construction, such as concrete foundations, interior walls, roof areas etc. Gives you a ballpark figure on how much dimensional lumber you might need for walls, yards of concrete for foundations etc.
If this url is deemed to be an ad, please delete it or let me know. I've never bought anything from them and are not connected to them in any way--just thought the calculators might come in handy for some.

http://www.construction-resource.com/calculators/

Flbeaver
02-12-2006, 05:57 AM
DYork

Your referenced site,construction-resource.com. is quite interesting. Just about everything one could want regarding construction methods, cost estimating, tools,advice forums,etc. I spent about an hour on the site and hardly scratched the surface. Should be a great resource.

rreidnauer
02-12-2006, 09:11 AM
Boy, you ain't kidding. There is a lot of good info there.

DYork
02-12-2006, 09:51 AM
I kinda think it errs on the + side of things. I ran the numbers on a 5/12 pitch roof and asked a friend here locally what he thought of it and he asked what I was going to do with the extra 4 1/2 sheets of sheathing.

Lolo-Steve
02-12-2006, 10:02 AM
I kinda think it errs on the + side of things. I ran the numbers on a 5/12 pitch roof and asked a friend here locally what he thought of it and he asked what I was going to do with the extra 4 1/2 sheets of sheathing.

Give it to me I can build a shed :) :)

DYork
02-12-2006, 11:03 AM
Give it to me I can build a shed :) :)

Sorry--I gots to build an outhouse 1st thing. ;)