PDA

View Full Version : Finally making it to a class....

alaskabound633
02-20-2013, 08:58 AM
Hello everyone, My name is John.
I have been wanting to take a class for ten plus years now, and finally get to go to the March class.
I'm moving to a island in SE Alaska this coming May, so it's just in time.
Wanted to say hi to everyone....

blane
02-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Congratulations John! Are you going to be building in Alaska?

alaskabound633
02-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Hi Blane,
Yes, I am going to SE Alaska, by Prince of Wales Island.
Do you like to fish? I will be open for some to come up and help also.

thoner7
02-20-2013, 10:20 AM
I just got the idea in my head a month or two ago to do this, and I'll be there in March as well.

Mike

panderson03
02-20-2013, 10:37 AM
congratulations on signing up for Class, John. a big step. you won't regret it!

LogHomeFeverDan
02-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Hello John and welcome!! I'll be there so will be looking forward to meeting you! I can't believe you waited ten years. I just found this place last fall and I'm half nuts waiting....ok ok ok...I know someone will say it....I'm half NUTTIER..... there happy ya'll? Anywho, we're nine days out and it can't get here soon enough.

medicgus
02-20-2013, 06:10 PM
Hi John, I will be there as well. We just found this site in December and I guess I was lucky enough to get in the next class. I can't imagine waiting 10 years, my wife is going nuts waiting for the class to be here. I guess this is how I celebrate turning 40 instead of a sports car. see you in a week.
Andy

LBolton2008
02-20-2013, 07:11 PM
I SO want to be there in March, but cannot go. My husband (military) is still in Germany and I don't want to go without him. He's just as psyched as I am about it. The NEXT class, we WILL be there. Have fun, learn tons, and go for it!

localfiend
02-20-2013, 07:37 PM
Howdy! I can hardly wait. Hopefully I can keep the current enthusiasm going throughout the actual building process. I got lucky, I didn't check this site out until a month or so ago (though I've wanted a log house for quite a while), so I haven't had to wait long. See you guys there.

Mosseyme
02-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Welcome all of you folks, looks like a great group of people going to this class. We always wait like parents waiting for their kids to get out of the first day of school to see how it goes. Get lots of rest ha! we will see you on the other side.

LogHomeFeverDan
02-21-2013, 04:49 AM
So for all who are going to be in March class. If you care to share, when are you arriving and where are you staying? I'm getting in Friday scheduled 10:30 am. I decided to save a few bucks and booked Circus Circus for my room. It's close enough I can get my daily walk to class. I won't be leaving out til Monday. I wanted to make sure I was not in a time bind at the end of class Sunday. I think I've got about ten pens, some pencils ( I like to sketch with pencil instead of ink for notes), got the composition notebook. So I think my supplies are rounding out well. :cool: Like so many here and like so many of you, we arrived at this site by, what most would call "chance". Personally, we don't believe in chance but I don't wish to get deep into belief systems so as not to offend. Anywho, I know we're in the right place at the correct time. I pray every day I have an increase of patience though, I've not been this anticipatory since I was a wee lad looking forward to Christmas. The excellent adventure is only beginning but I'm already so grateful for the people we'll meet on the way, the ones who will help, the ones we'll help, and the ones who share the dream of building/owning a LHBA home.

panderson03
02-21-2013, 08:57 AM
its well worth waiting for Dan:)

localfiend
02-21-2013, 08:57 AM
I'll be getting in friday around 8pm. Gonna crash at my cousins place. Flying out on friday around 4pm, it was a real pain to find flights, perhaps because I only had a month lead time. Wish the class was still in washington, way easier to get to for me. :cool:

Pencils.... Pens..... Gah, I can't even use those things anymore without my hand cramping up quickly. I wonder if they're allowing electronic devices yet - it's the standard for notetaking now.

localfiend
02-21-2013, 08:58 AM
Flying out monday.... Yeah, it seems that non-members can't edit posts, or I'm just a moron and don't see the edit button.....

panderson03
02-21-2013, 09:00 AM
Hey there Fiend. I don't know if they'll allow electronic devices yet but in class you'll get a note book with a lot of the material already in there. we wrote some notes in the margins when we needed to. not enough so there was cramping though :)

LogHomeFeverDan
02-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Flying out monday.... Yeah, it seems that non-members can't edit posts, or I'm just a moron and don't see the edit button.....

LOL my friend I"ve been here longer than you and I still don't know where it is!!

StressMan79
02-21-2013, 09:24 AM
you can only edit the last post. if someone posts after you, you can't. It is right under the post, right hand side.

Members are no different.

StressMan79
02-21-2013, 09:24 AM
guess you can edit any post so long as another user doesn't post in the interim. I just edited this one, and the previous one was open as well. FWIW.

AkChas
02-21-2013, 09:30 AM
guess you can edit any post so long as another user doesn't post in the interim. I just edited this one, and the previous one was open as well. FWIW.

Pretty sure it's a "Class of Service" thing Peter. 'Regular User'(s) don't have the option available to edit their posts, while a Full Member (LHBA Member) does.

StressMan79
02-21-2013, 09:40 AM
wow, I stand corrected. I thought that I tried before to edit posts, and the option wasn't there. But even after you posted, the option is still there... curious.

http://i319.photobucket.com/albums/mm471/stressman79/how_to_lhba/editpost_zps756af0ec.jpg

emilik
02-21-2013, 01:52 PM
We'll be in the March class too, flying in Fri around 5:30. We're staying right at Harrah's since I have a nursling I need to be able to tend to as needed. Can't wait to get there!! :)

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2

medicgus
02-21-2013, 07:15 PM
I'll be driving in sometime on Friday. Staying at my mother-in -laws and leaving when I get I get my Andy list done for her. I couldn't beat free lodging.

LogHomeFeverDan
02-22-2013, 01:46 PM
I'll be driving in sometime on Friday. Staying at my mother-in -laws and leaving when I get I get my Andy list done for her. I couldn't beat free lodging. Sounds excellent!

Week to go ya'll!!

Pat
02-23-2013, 12:36 AM
I think I get in around 5:30 Friday, staying at Harrah's for maximum easiness, and I'll leave on Tuesday. I wanted to get out to see the Hoover Dam on Monday.

loghousenut
02-23-2013, 08:27 AM
Hoover Dam is cool and there's a lot to see within an hour of Vegas, but nothing that will change your life like seeing Ellsworth and Steve in class. Seee you guys/gals on the member's side.

BoFuller
02-23-2013, 10:13 AM
I went skydiving the weekend we were there for the class, but I hardly remember it as my mind was on overload from class.

LogHomeFeverDan
02-23-2013, 12:57 PM
Just finalized the hotel room Thursday night cuz my flight out of Charlotte NC, leaves at 5:50 am. Ugh will need to be at airport like 3:50 am. Guess I'll sleep on the way out. Good thing is though, I can leave the Jeep at the hotel while in Vegas for no additional charge. It's all good.

Bo I've done a tandem jump before but I'd not want to jump during class wknd. I need my mind as clear as possible to absorb the information from class.

thoner7
02-26-2013, 10:46 AM
Im flying in Thursday night because it was way cheaper and I got a 14 dollar hotel room! I decided to rent a harley for the day friday and see some sights and take in the good weather.

BUT - does anyone know where in the hotel the class takes place? Conference room name or number perhaps?

LogHomeFeverDan
02-26-2013, 04:36 PM
I'm fairly confident the hotel hasn't made a conference room assignment yet. I could be wrong. I know the conference rooms are all semi close proximity. They will either have a billboard or just ask at the front desk. They will be more than happy to direct us!

rreidnauer
02-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Just follow the trail of peeled tree bark and the sound of rebar being sledged. :D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

BRJ
02-26-2013, 05:18 PM
Hi all, Im new here but will be attending the class this weekend with my brother. We will be flying in around 8am on Friday. Looking forward to a good weekend :)

Mosseyme
02-26-2013, 05:32 PM
Rod you are a tease
they will be looking for logs bark and rebar!

mario kadu
02-27-2013, 12:05 PM
The helpful but confused young man at the front desk was lost when We asked for the log home class ... But when I asked him to query "Mechanical Transfer" he immediately found the conference room and was able to give us great directions.

Jared&Kara
02-27-2013, 03:29 PM
Hi everyone! My hubby and I have been dreaming a lot about the possibilities of building a log home. Looking forward soaking in all the class has to offer. Our fight lands on Friday evening and we've got reservations at The Quad... Close to the class and cheap! We leave on Monday.

When we tell people we are going to Vegas they light up... when we tell them we are going for a log home building class they look at us like we are crazy. We will see... they could be crazy for NOT wanting to build one.

ChristopherRobin
02-27-2013, 05:34 PM
My husband and I will also be in the class and are arriving Friday evening. We are staying at Harrahs.

Jared&Kara, I can relate to your experience with telling people you are going to Vegas, then following it up with the fact that you're taking a log home building class. We have gotten the same response - crazy looks! Of course it doesn't help that everyone knows us as lovers of mid-century modern architecture and we have been searching for a modern to call our own for a while now. Turns out we also love not having any debt and the idea of living in a structure made from natural materials, so yeah, we're gonna learn how to build a log cabin!

Looking forward to meeting everyone at the class.

Bmetz34
02-27-2013, 06:04 PM
you guys will love class!! See you on the other side!

Ellsworth
02-27-2013, 06:46 PM
Im flying in Thursday night because it was way cheaper and I got a 14 dollar hotel room! I decided to rent a harley for the day friday and see some sights and take in the good weather.

BUT - does anyone know where in the hotel the class takes place? Conference room name or number perhaps?

Look for the Conference center (second floor). On Saturday morning the room name will be posted on the reader board at the entrance to the conference center -- should read "Log Home Association, Room xyz."

Enjoy the Harley and see you in a few days ;)

alaskabound633
02-27-2013, 07:09 PM
So cool to hear from the people going to the class.
I'm looking forward to meeting you folks.
I'll get to the Hotel around noon. Staying at the Harrah's till Monday afternoon.
Tomorrow...tomorrow..your only a day away....

LogHomeFeverDan
02-28-2013, 07:49 AM
WOW......I'm mostly flabbergasted it's finally HERE! 11:44 am on 2/28/13, I will leave for Charlotte in about 4 hours. Will try to get some sleep as I'll need to catch the hotel shuttle to the Charlotte airport about 3:30 am. Flight leaves out at 5:45 am. I go to Dulles first then on to Vegas. Will arrive Vegas time 10:30 am Friday. Settle in and again try to sleep before Sat. class. Circus Circus is 1.4miles from Harrahs so I'll be able to get a great morning walk in on the way to class. I'm very very excited to FINALLY being able to get in a class.

So good to hear from all of you who will be attending. Thanks to all the members who post here for encouraging us to attend and encouraging us in general. There are a flood of thoughts swirling around my calciferous containment of gray matter. An excellent adventure is about to begin in earnest.

Safe travels all. Looking forward to sharing this exciting learning opportunity with each of you!

Mosseyme
03-01-2013, 09:43 PM
Hopefully they are all sleeping, not at the slot machines, Ya'll have a great time in class, drink plenty of cool aid. We will be glad to see you on the other side.

localfiend
03-01-2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I should be sleeping... Too busy eying all the palm trees, looks like they wouldn't leave much mortar work... :)

loghousenut
03-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Nope, you don't want Palm Trees.... They'll cover it in class. Get to bed and make the most of it.

Looks to me like a great bunch this time... As usual.

rckclmbr428
03-02-2013, 12:03 AM
Hmmmm..... Palm trees. I haven't built with those

loghousenut
03-02-2013, 12:11 AM
You will...

LogHomeFeverDan
03-04-2013, 06:06 PM
WOW! All I can say is that was THE BEST educational weekend I've spent in my entire life. Huge Thank You to Mr. Ellsworth and Mr Steve. I've attended many educational seminars/classes and I've never had 12 hour days seem so short! Tons of awesome info. Thanks to all fellow classmates as well. It was a fantastic group and I'd be honored to help each of you in any way possible. Great to be home, but almost sad in a way we couldn't have class extended for a week! LOL Amazing!

Mosseyme
03-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Told you so!!!! Welcome home, get some rest, then get rolling!!

rreidnauer
03-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Can't get a much better endorsement than that, for those on the fence or wondering if it's for real. Better sticky note that post for when the next person who finds the LHBA website and asks the same question asked so many times before.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

loghousenut
03-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Yeah but we all knew Dan was gonna be a fanatic. He'll be living in his before I'm living in mine. I think he's gonna be another fireman9.

Welcome aboard.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

thoner7
03-05-2013, 05:19 AM
As I sit here waiting to get approved for the members section... why can't you build with palm trees? too weak? It didn't come up in our class, but if I ever have the luxury of retiring to the Caribbean or Key West I may need to know!

localfiend
03-05-2013, 07:08 AM
I was joking about the palm trees. I bet you could build walls with them, but I think they grow too fast, and are to soft and week to be much good. Not sure if they're possible to peel either. A bit too fibrous I imagine.

loghousenut
03-05-2013, 11:39 AM
Will you two quit wasting time on this side of the forum. The world awaits on the members side. Glad to have you aboard.

medicgus
03-05-2013, 04:45 PM
palm trees are a soft wood and I don't think they are very rot resistant and I know they aren't very strong. Imagine your ridge pole would need about 6 RPSLs for a 36' RP.