PDA

View Full Version : The average Joe who has done this

JakeProm
01-20-2013, 10:17 PM
Is there someone here who can share their experience and maybe some photos of them building there cabin? It would be nice to see if someone who didn't have money and lots of experience complete one of these cabins.

It would be nice to see someone who may be somewhat like myself and in the same situation who has completed one of these wooden castles!

marronnin
01-20-2013, 10:26 PM
If I remember right, back when I started lurking on this forum, I would look at peoples signature in their post and allot of them have photobucket blogs or other types of blogs. Look at Blanes posts or Rocklock. Lots of pictures from 2 "Average" (if anyone on here can be considered average that is) folks.

Timberwolf
01-21-2013, 04:00 AM
You're welcome to look at mine.

There are plenty of people who have blogged about, or made web pages about their builds. A little Google-Fu could be your friend.

blane
01-21-2013, 05:12 AM
I am less than the average Joe with just a little money. Not quite done yet but close. You are welcome to look through my blog.

rocklock
01-21-2013, 12:45 PM
Jake;
if you have not looked at my photobucket file with about 400 photos and two videos covering about 6 years then your not trying.
I am not average... at almost 70. I am old.
At 6'4" and about 280 - not nearly average...
Living in Hawaii when its cold in Washington is not average...
Just in case you do not realize this we are an educational site... we don't get a dime for posting or sharing anything on this site. This is not average.
I stacked all my logs in twelve days... Actually that is about average for a rented boom truck...
So, look around
Look at page one of introduce yourself... You will find my first post in 2005...

JakeProm
01-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Jake;
if you have not looked at my photobucket file with about 400 photos and two videos covering about 6 years then your not trying.
I am not average... at almost 70. I am old.
At 6'4" and about 280 - not nearly average...
Living in Hawaii when its cold in Washington is not average...
Just in case you do not realize this we are an educational site... we don't get a dime for posting or sharing anything on this site. This is not average.
I stacked all my logs in twelve days... Actually that is about average for a rented boom truck...
So, look around
Look at page one of introduce yourself... You will find my first post in 2005...

Hey here Rock! You have a very beautiful home, a very nice job done by you sir! Can you say that if you didn't have a crane that the method they teach in class is still very doable to erect those logs? I may not have the option in getting that type of equipment.

Thanks again for your insight as I really do value the information from the members here.

StressMan79
01-21-2013, 04:29 PM
look at Paul Kahle's site. Done by hand.

http://www.paulkahle.com/log.html.

and they teach both ways. Also 2cents lifted all her logs by hand. I did my two ridge poles... well kindof... I used the truck.

blane
01-21-2013, 05:07 PM
Jake,
All my logs were lifted with b&t, my blog shows how we did it.

LogHomeFeverDan
01-22-2013, 07:07 AM
Jake,
All my logs were lifted with b&t, my blog shows how we did it.
I can't wait til March.....is it March yet??? Isn't it time to head to Vegas?? Blane, awesome pics. Thank for sharing. I can tell simply by reading the comments what an awesome perspective you have on life and God's blessings.

ivanshayka
01-23-2013, 09:14 PM
Jake Prom, I would not worry about too many things at once (should have tried telling me that before I took the class). I have built a 10x10 tool shed with porch overhang. I am planning to build 35x35 log home. I only buy materials that are on clearance. I bought 1 tool at retail price, which could be had at 1/2 price used. I have trees on my land that i will use. Simple foundation, piers. these are some money saving tips, and if you follow your budget, youcan build very inexpencive.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/ivanshayka/Log%20Home%20-%20Practice%20Shed/IMAG0612.jpg

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/ivanshayka/Log%20Home%20-%20Practice%20Shed/IMAG0569.jpg

loghousenut
01-23-2013, 10:51 PM
Ivan,

I hope you can make the main house look at least half as nice as tha shed does. Very well proportioned. It's exactly what I had stuck in my head as the perfect log home from the time I was 5 years old til I discovered women.

LogHomeFeverDan
01-24-2013, 07:25 AM
Ivan, can I apply to be one of your tools?? I'd live in that!! Thanks for sharing pics!!

ivanshayka
01-24-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks for you kind comments LHN and Dan. Oh, did I ever mentioned that the window is 3-pane, 3 layers of glass. I just noticed it the other day.

JakeProm
01-24-2013, 06:15 PM
Jake Prom, I would not worry about too many things at once (should have tried telling me that before I took the class). I have built a 10x10 tool shed with porch overhang. I am planning to build 35x35 log home. I only buy materials that are on clearance. I bought 1 tool at retail price, which could be had at 1/2 price used. I have trees on my land that i will use. Simple foundation, piers. these are some money saving tips, and if you follow your budget, youcan build very inexpencive.

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/ivanshayka/Log%20Home%20-%20Practice%20Shed/IMAG0612.jpg

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/ee382/ivanshayka/Log%20Home%20-%20Practice%20Shed/IMAG0569.jpg

Wow Ivan that is awesome thank you for sharing your pics and the tips! Thanks to the rest of the members for replying to my post, this s such a awesome and encouraging community!

localfiend
01-24-2013, 07:19 PM
Are those cinder blocks anchored in any way?

ivanshayka
01-24-2013, 09:08 PM
those are cinder blocks with concrete inside, 2-inground and 1-above, rebar going through most blocks and 1st log. This cabin/tool shed needs chinking and insulation. As well as well as flooring. As well as few other things, list can go on for a while.

localfiend
01-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Cool, figured it was something like that. What are you going to do for a floor? I'm thinking the first log building I'll build will be a pump house & pressure tank storage, but you almost need a concrete floor for something like that.

thoner7
01-25-2013, 01:00 PM
You're welcome to look at mine.

There are plenty of people who have blogged about, or made web pages about their builds. A little Google-Fu could be your friend.

That is a very impressive build my man! Did you do the ICF foundation yourself? I am curious as to how hard it would be to do properly with the right rebar etc.

Timberwolf
01-25-2013, 01:27 PM
That is a very impressive build my man! Did you do the ICF foundation yourself? I am curious as to how hard it would be to do properly with the right rebar etc.

Thank you.

ICF is/was probably the simplest part of the build. Most systems are refined and foolproof as can be. Lego for adults. Rebar, easy peasy.

1 caveat, i, like 99.999999% of people, hired out the actual concrete pour.

rocklock
01-25-2013, 04:49 PM
The guy that I bought the ICF's from, as part of the price, pored the cement. I, my wife and son did the rest... actually my nephew also helped as well. He also instructed us in how to construct the forms... There were several areas that we did not do well...

During the pour, I [talked] with the boom operator for about 120 minutes while we walked around the forms three times... then we finished the very top... Also vibrated the windows for about 30 seconds...

The pump truck arrived at about 9:45 and left at 12:45. Best $450 I spent on the foundation...

FishingAddict
01-26-2013, 08:08 AM
$450 ??????
What was icf costs then and how much concrete involved.
I sure gotta be missing something here :confused:

rreidnauer
01-26-2013, 08:30 AM
$450 ??????
What was icf costs then and how much concrete involved.
I sure gotta be missing something here :confused:Ha! You are. That was the cost of the pumper truck.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

Timberwolf
01-28-2013, 08:15 AM
Ha! You are. That was the cost of the pumper truck.

+1

Mine was included with the concrete, but I'm sure it's buried in the cost somewhere. $500 is about the going rate these days. Can't imagine doing any other way, unless you were just doing a stemwall.

FishingAddict
01-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Ha! You are. That was the cost of the pumper truck.

That was a given ;) .... but still wondering ICF and 'crete costs.
They get closer to $600 here for pumper on 1/2 day type pours - 4 hours or X yards.
Just wondering how much was the 'crete and ICF's

StressMan79
01-28-2013, 12:21 PM
crete runs anywhere from 60 bucks to 130 bucks per yard delivered. Mine (site mix) was ~110/yd + $20 fuel surcharge. I have 9 in the floor and 4 in the porch.

on a side, I mixed 4 yards to fill all my block with crete... and 1/4 of the footer (>1yd)...I had 4 yds delivered by a different premix company for the footers...

Anyway, I want to tell everyone that a yard of concrete is a whole helluva lot. If you need crete, have it delivered... You can build on stone piers in some jurisdictions, but you will need a backhoe and some mortar (and some big rocks) to do that...

anyway, FWIW

WNYcabinplannin
01-28-2013, 12:41 PM
I had a dozen yards in the step footer, 32 yards in the ICF walkout basemen and another 14 in the slab with radiant. $300 for the pumper only!
Just made me realize that I spent more money in concrete than I did for logs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FishingAddict
01-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Thanks Peter !
Kinda good to hear it varies as much as it does - got some general figures in November and they both coming from same general area but not the same general area on $$$ charged. Guess it pays big to shop for 'crete too.

LogHomeFeverDan
01-28-2013, 03:18 PM
WNYcabinplannin.....may I inquire as to the dimensions of your foundation??

rreidnauer
01-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Central PA, I was paying $102/yd last year. Min order: 2 yds and $75 surcharge if under 4 yds.

As Peter says, a yard is a lot of concrete, (almost two tons) but it sure doesn't seem to go very far. My radio tower consumed nearly 5 yds alone!

loghousenut
01-28-2013, 07:41 PM
The best way to see exactly how big a yard of concret is? Mix a foundation full of it and pour it out of a couple of wheelbarrows.

Sent from my ZTE V768 using Tapatalk 2

Timberwolf
01-29-2013, 04:04 AM
Did a 10'x10'x5" slab once, with a mixer and wheel barrow. There's a days work. Never again... ok, maybe not never.

Another way to look at it; a yard is 40, 5 gal pails. My EXTERIOR chinking was 55, 5 gal pails. So my chinking weighs... a little over 2 tons...

WNYcabinplannin
01-29-2013, 05:41 AM
LHF- 32x32 to outside of 8" poured walls within the ICF. 9' high walls. But bc it's a walkout, and we have a 4' frostline, there's a 4' stemwall basically below the 9' on the walkout side. It's be very different if it was a below ground basement, same specs.
Oh and I paid 105/yd in may 2010.
Ditto on hating mixing. I'm doing my own concrete counter tops, but besides that- I'd have truck come even for poured steps- I'd just have a few other things like a pad for grill or garage all poured same time to avoid small load surcharge. 1195

blane
01-29-2013, 06:12 AM
I want to see pictures of those counter tops whenever you get them done! I am thinking about doing them as well.
LHF- 32x32 to outside of 8" poured walls within the ICF. 9' high walls. But bc it's a walkout, and we have a 4' frostline, there's a 4' stemwall basically below the 9' on the walkout side. It's be very different if it was a below ground basement, same specs.
Oh and I paid 105/yd in may 2010.
Ditto on hating mixing. I'm doing my own concrete counter tops, but besides that- I'd have truck come even for poured steps- I'd just have a few other things like a pad for grill or garage all poured same time to avoid small load surcharge. 1195

thoner7
01-29-2013, 06:47 AM
I had a dozen yards in the step footer, 32 yards in the ICF walkout basemen and another 14 in the slab with radiant. $300 for the pumper only!
Just made me realize that I spent more money in concrete than I did for logs!

Did you buy your logs locally or from out of state?

I'm in Rochester, and curious as to how expensive they would be to source locally v. out of the area. I dont see too many big pine trees around lol.

LogHomeFeverDan
01-29-2013, 09:07 AM
I just saw the concrete counter tops on one of the remodel shows on direct tv. <I think that's all we watch lately, even the Wee one, she's 8 says, "Dad I've been watching the remodel shows and I can help you design our new home"> Yeah I'd like to see pics too if when you get them completed. I've heard enough to know I'm NOT mixing my own mud. Still just juggling ideas for the foundation/basement. I thought we were going to go completely below grade, but wife said the other night she wouldn't mind a walk out. LOL Dunno Rod I may need to build another .....<ahem> shelter separate from the house. Then I can include the flame throwers etc.... I did see that one on Preppers. Our land would allow a side hill hidden entrance "bunker" type structure. Of course I harken back to my childhood days, I want walk through tunnels with pop up gun turrets. Anywho.....I digress.

project
01-31-2013, 10:55 PM
I've done concrete countertops a few times and while it is a little work its actually a lot of fun and cheap to try. You can make the bottom and sides out of plexiglass, or at least cover the inside of your mold with plexi, and the concrete will come out looking polished an all you have to do is seal it to keep it looking that way. Just experiment with it and you can make countertops that will rival granite any day for very little cost.

LogHomeFeverDan
02-01-2013, 04:55 AM
Did you texture the surface or just leave it smooth/polished. I'm thinking you could even do colors or spackled appearance.

thoner7
02-01-2013, 05:47 AM
what 'they' say to use for building the concrete countertop 's frame is melamine board. Plexi is expensive but it would be smoother than melamine I would have to think.

Some people do pour it in place but that can be messy as you really should sand down the surface to make it smooth and that means hosing down your kitchen!

project
02-01-2013, 06:48 AM
I've done both. You can do a dry pressed style that leaves random veins and after you flip it over you come back and fill in the voids with a contrasting color then polish. It really is beautiful when its finished and the options are endless.

thoner7
02-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Show us some pics!!!!

project
02-01-2013, 11:16 AM
I will have to see if I have any. I had a hard drive crash last year and lost a lot of pics..

project
02-01-2013, 11:24 AM
Go to youtube and search for buddy Rhodes pressed concrete . I have learned a lot from him. I have been designing plastic injection molds for 17 years so working in reverse on elaborate molds was a good fit for me..the process is very simple though and I never bought any of his products, I found everything I needed from the hardware store.

LogHomeFeverDan
02-02-2013, 03:41 PM
Woah!!! Nice!! Ty Project!! I think I may have found my countertops! Only thing is another learning curve. (-; This is going to be a blast!! Is it March yet??

Gomer
02-08-2013, 08:57 AM
Where have all the average posting " Joe's and Jo's " gone ??? :confused:
So quiet here I can hear the rebar drop. :p

sdart
02-08-2013, 10:28 AM
Hi Gomer,
The members are posting quite a bit on the member's side, but I don't know why the non-members aren't posting here. Maybe they're in the middle of "Winter Storm Nemo." It's just beginning to hit here and we foolishly arrived for a visit in Boston just in time for it :rolleyes: I'm just hoping the electricity won't go out, since we have left our wood-stove-heated, off the grid home to stay for a few weeks in a city apartment without any means of heating that doesn't need electric power. Stupid, but nothing to do about it now!

loghousenut
02-08-2013, 12:14 PM
We're all out building our log homes. We talk a lot about you on the member's side, Gomer. You oughta take the class so you can defend yourself.

haaha

spiralsands
02-08-2013, 01:37 PM
Where have all the average posting " Joe's and Jo's " gone ??? :confused:
So quiet here I can hear the rebar drop. :p

Natalie and I are resting up our shoveling muscles for tomorrow morning. Natalie is now a volunteer firefighter and god forbid the snow keeps her from getting the little Mazda out to get to the firehouse.

Gomer
02-08-2013, 02:13 PM
Yep - you on the east side need to batten the hatches and all that good stuff. Sounds like a gooser is a comiong your way. I spent some years up in the UP in Michigan and enjoyed a 21'4" winter. Power was out more than on the whole winter - and they get even more than that at times. Best of luck and take care of the tickers. No reason to fall over dead shoveling somethingh that's gonna melt anyway!

LHN - I said "average" Joe's and Jo's. No way- no how are you average, nor normal!!! >>ducking<< :D ;)

LogHomeFeverDan
02-09-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm dreaming of logs and rebar and debarking....well and counting calendar days til March!!

rreidnauer
02-09-2013, 05:49 PM
Best of luck and take care of the tickers. No reason to fall over dead shoveling somethingh that's gonna melt anyway!The best decision I made this Winter was to stop shoveling snow. Just pack down a trail on fresh fallen snow with the snowshoes, and by the next day it's solid enough to walk on with regular footwear. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/10/pyza3epy.jpg
Grrrrrr!!!! Why is it that every photo hosting site I try insists on rotating my pictures?

donjuedo
02-10-2013, 04:38 AM
The best decision I made this Winter was to stop shoveling snow. Just pack down a trail on fresh fallen snow with the snowshoes, and by the next day it's solid enough to walk on with regular footwear. http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/10/pyza3epy.jpg

That's a good idea.

lilbluehonda
02-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Here's even a better idea,my new snow toy makes fast work of making walking trails

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/ragdump/UpontheRoof_zps5fb5ef85.jpg

lilbluehonda
02-10-2013, 07:22 AM
and so does the Samurai
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/ragdump/ragdumpinthesnowfeb.jpg

rreidnauer
02-10-2013, 07:28 AM
That WOULD be nice!

Btw, I've been able to get the Miata in ever since being shut down by that Christmas storm. I bought studded snow tires for the first time ever, and can't believe the traction I have now. I don't even use the tire chains to get up the hill. Eight inches of fresh snow is no problem. (though, I do have to clean out the radiator opening) I feel like part submarine when the snow is going up over the hood and roof. Neighbors think I'm nuts, but impressed by the capability none-the-less. I did pack down the snow on the drive after one 12" storm, by running the backhoe's loader bucket rolled back so it didn't scoop snow, just pack it down. I packed down a 1/4 mile in about 10 minutes. So much easier than spending time removing snow.

lilbluehonda
02-10-2013, 07:36 AM
I'll take your Miata and raise you my Corvette in the snow
http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/ragdump/Scan10036_zpsadb914fb.jpg

loghousenut
02-10-2013, 07:44 AM
Best thing about the Miata and the Vette is that built in plow.

lilbluehonda
02-10-2013, 07:49 AM
I also have emergency stand by

http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd206/ragdump/mydocuments0002_zpsc2e56323.jpg

LogHomeFeverDan
02-10-2013, 12:09 PM
Being hatched in Wisconsin, I do miss seeing the snow once or twice each year. I don't miss seeing it for 4 months of the year.

FishingAddict
02-10-2013, 05:52 PM
Being "hatched" in Minnesota and having lived in WA, N.Y. WI, N.M.,TX, and Montana I can say it made me crazy anywhere else.
I'll take 4 months of snow and then 8 cooler reasonable months anyday for heat. Heat is oppressive to me and I can't cool off. Sure I could live inside in a/c but that kinda kills the whole deal.
Love MN, MI, and the Rockies. Aaaah dang - I forgot Alaska now. Drop dead gorgous and I could call it home if I could get the rest of family that way. Too far to trek for that long weekend they'd say. lol

Hope ya'll good on the east coast. We had a wimpy storm here - nuttin'. I mean nuttin' to even discuss. :o

sdart
02-11-2013, 07:32 AM
Well, despite the hype made by the media, having lived in Minnesota I really didn't see much to get all excited about here in Boston in this last storm... Okay, so a bunch of snow fell. The wind was nothing special either. Pretty mild all around. I think the coast south of here, Cape Cod, etc. got by far the worst of it with much more wind and extreme flooding in high tide. It's going to be icy soup to wade through here though later today, as all of that snow melts (supposed to get up to the mid-40s).

LogHomeFeverDan
02-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Yeah no offense to those suffering out there on east coast but growing up in Wisconsin, 2 feet of snow with wind creating drifts just meant, MORE TIME ICE FISHING!!!! (-;

marvlus
02-11-2013, 08:23 AM
For those of us who have lived or are currently living in this kind of winter just about every year, it is normal and we know how to deal with it. For those that do not experience it often, it can be quite a jolt to the system when it happens!

spiralsands
02-11-2013, 09:20 AM
I think all the hype is for the urban dwellers who seem to head out on the roads as soon as it starts to snow. My cousins on Long Island are all still house bound because they are not getting plowed out of their neighborhoods. With the high taxes they pay down there you would think that the local government would buy a few more plow trucks and get them running early before it gets too deep. Here in Syracuse (600+ miles away from NYC and LI) we have them go past on my cul-de-sac at least 3 times a night when it snows.

sdart
02-11-2013, 11:28 AM
With the high taxes they pay down there you would think that the local government would buy a few more plow trucks and get them running early before it gets too deep.
Absolutely!! When I lived in Minnesota the plows were out full time until all roads were passable. In the 10 years I was there with a school age child, I think school was canceled maybe one or two days total-- and that included some days of EXTREME weather. A friend living in the DC area said that everything ground to a halt when they got 1/2 inch :) It's all what you are used to and what you are prepared for.

John W
02-11-2013, 11:32 AM
My favorite in Virginia (Newport News), was when they cancelled school at 4pm for the next day on a FORECAST. It didn't snow one flake.

rreidnauer
02-11-2013, 01:21 PM
Ha! Yea, how times changed. I remember as a kid, that you'd turn on the news station in the morning and wait to see if school was closed or delayed in the marquee at the bottom of the screen. Sometimes, they didn't put out a cancellation notice until less than two hours before school was to start.

FishingAddict
02-11-2013, 02:26 PM
Here the Districts don't even necessarily get to make the call on cancellation. The bus company decides what they want to do and then advises local districts. It can lead to some late cancellations for sure - and also some premature ones when they rely on the weather folk and they way off by 12 hours or more. lol
Guess when it comes to liabilty issues I get why they error on the side of caution but sometimes it seems absurd.

So everyone in good shape out east?
Imagine if you lacking power it's pretty hard to reply to this huh!

rreidnauer
02-11-2013, 07:23 PM
So everyone in good shape out east?
Imagine if you lacking power it's pretty hard to reply to this huh!Not for me. I make my own. :p

AkChas
02-11-2013, 09:08 PM
I still can't get over it. Anytime there's a HINT of a few snowflakes in Maryland, there's a run on 1)Bottled Water 2). Bread/Milk and 3) Toilet Paper! When/if power goes out here I run my house off my Jeep (DC-AC Inverter), when and as I need it.

Now Alaska is a different story. Earlier this year they had temps downin the 0 to negative teens, a decent accummulation of snow, then it got Warm! (Around +40F). They had to cancel school because it was Too Warm in Anchorage(!???).

sdart
02-12-2013, 03:25 AM
Great story and photo! I agree that the worst is when it melts a bit and then refreezes... I used to have an unintended ice rink between the house and the garage if I didn't get to it in time-- dangerous!

Mosseyme
02-12-2013, 04:34 AM
Ha' Rod,
I remember when we listened to th radio up till time to leave for school to see if school was canceled

rreidnauer
02-12-2013, 05:48 AM
Oh yea! I forgot about that! We use to listen to the radio too before they started putting it on the TV. They'd list off numbers instead of school names. You listen to the whole list twice just to be sure you heard your number right! :rolleyes: Good ol' KYW 1060AM.

Thanks for the flashback!

Too warm was my problem yesterday Chas. It was sunny, 55°, and windy. I never seen snow melt so fast. It went from 10" to 2" in a single day. I could barely get the car through the slush.

loghousenut
02-12-2013, 07:19 AM
Poor Jake.... Homeschooled.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Weldingandbiketrip056.jpg

localfiend
02-12-2013, 07:31 AM
I used to drive an hour to get to highschool. 3 or 4 times I got to school and no one was there as they were late getting the word out.

loghousenut
02-12-2013, 07:59 AM
I used to drive an hour to get to highschool. 3 or 4 times I got to school and no one was there as they were late getting the word out.

I have a feeling you found a way to turn that terrible problem into a positive experience to further your education.

Ha...
I was in High School once.

BoFuller
02-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Ha...

Yeah, once when I let you come and watch a basketball game I was playing in.

BoFuller
02-12-2013, 03:16 PM

I use to walk to school an hour each way, and then found out it was closed, and there were 4 foot drifts, and it was uphill both ways, ...... :)

AkChas
02-12-2013, 03:18 PM
I use to walk to school an hour each way, and then found out it was closed, and there were 4 foot drifts, and it was uphill both ways, ...... :)

Bo' -- You forgot the part about being Barefoot, too :)

localfiend
02-12-2013, 03:20 PM
I have a feeling you found a way to turn that terrible problem into a positive experience to further your education.

Ha...

Oh yeah, we'd go out hunting for the next most dangerous sledding hill.

rreidnauer
02-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Bo' -- You forgot the part about being Barefoot, too :)...and beating away hungry wolves with a textbook....

marvlus
02-13-2013, 06:49 AM
How did this thread devolve into about the average Joe who walked an hour to school in the deep snow, bare-footed and fighting hungry wolves with a textbook along the way?

Timberwolf
02-13-2013, 06:56 AM
Easy.

Bo and Nut.

Thread devolvers extraordinaire.

:)

LogHomeFeverDan
02-13-2013, 06:59 AM
Maybe I'm getting "older" maybe I'm simply growing tired of the "rat race", I do know this, devolving is VERY attractive presently.

BoFuller
02-13-2013, 08:37 AM
Easy.

Bo and Nut.

Thread devolvers extraordinaire.

Hey, I resemble that remark. :)

rreidnauer
02-13-2013, 09:25 AM
The "H" in LHBA doesn't stand for hijack?

loghousenut
02-14-2013, 09:00 AM
How did this thread devolve into about the average Joe who walked an hour to school in the deep snow, bare-footed and fighting hungry wolves with a textbook along the way?

I'm with you Marv. I pray there are no curious newbies out there who have stumbled on this site searching for hope and inspiration.... Unless they're curious about barefooted wolves and such.

Hey that's it!!! There's bound to be folks out there googlesearching about some of that weird stuff that Bro Bo, Rod, Fuzzy, Cuz Tom are always drifting off into. You and I could sneak in to the conversation once in awhile and drag it back to talking about building our own log homes with our own hands.

We'll be like a team of secret forum agents who's sole mission in life will be unhijacking waylayed threads and gradually working them back into a fruitful discussion. We could even sneak over to other forums and unhijack them folks and steer them over this direction. It'll be you and me, Marv and I think we oughta get Dan involved. This won't come easily for me and I'll be a slow starter, but I think I could really get into it after awhile.

Or maybe I could be a double agent.

Hhaha. I love this place and sorry about the part I played in Bo's hijack. He was like that as a kid also.

loghousenut
02-14-2013, 09:15 AM
Hold the phone... I just realized that Dan (LogHomeFeverDan) is still a newbie himself. OK Dan you can be a forum agent with us but we won't let you do any agenting work on the member's side til you take the class. That's where most of Bo's best work is.

Fortunately Dan is finally taking the plunge and had enrolled in the March class.

Hey Dan, While you're there in class you can be the one that steers thing back to LHBA. Ellsworth tends to sometimes hijack his own instruction threads. Steve's more straight and narrow like me and Marv.

AkChas
02-14-2013, 09:19 AM
.......Or maybe I could be a double agent.........

Y'er making my head spin LHN! Kinda like the in the movie, with a new twist...... Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, NUT-Case!!!

marvlus
02-14-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm with you Marv. I pray there are no curious newbies out there who have stumbled on this site searching for hope and inspiration.... Unless they're curious about barefooted wolves and such.

Hey that's it!!! There's bound to be folks out there googlesearching about some of that weird stuff that Bro Bo, Rod, Fuzzy, Cuz Tom are always drifting off into. You and I could sneak in to the conversation once in awhile and drag it back to talking about building our own log homes with our own hands.

We'll be like a team of secret forum agents who's sole mission in life will be unhijacking waylayed threads and gradually working them back into a fruitful discussion. We could even sneak over to other forums and unhijack them folks and steer them over this direction. It'll be you and me, Marv and I think we oughta get Dan involved. This won't come easily for me and I'll be a slow starter, but I think I could really get into it after awhile.

Or maybe I could be a double agent.

Hhaha. I love this place and sorry about the part I played in Bo's hijack. He was like that as a kid also.

LHN,
We need to put together a set of rules and guidelines to kick this off. For example, I like Timberwolf's definition of thread hijackers - Thread Devolvers Extraordinaire, or TDE for short. So from now on we can tag such people as TDE's and when we catch them doing this, we'll report them to the the TDE Overseer (yet to be named) for further questioning. I'm just kinda brainstorming off the top of my head about how this would all play out. But we need to do this in a very subtle manner, so that we don't becomes TDE's ourselves.

Timberwolf
02-14-2013, 10:42 AM
This forum needs it's own playground for you guys. :)

loghousenut
02-14-2013, 12:00 PM
LHN,
We need to put together a set of rules and guidelines to kick this off. For example, I like Timberwolf's definition of thread hijackers - Thread Devolvers Extraordinaire, or TDE for short. So from now on we can tag such people as TDE's and when we catch them doing this, we'll report them to the the TDE Overseer (yet to be named) for further questioning. I'm just kinda brainstorming off the top of my head about how this would all play out. But we need to do this in a very subtle manner, so that we don't becomes TDE's ourselves.

OK Marv. I can see that you're the brains of the outfit so go ahead and run with it and I'll follow your lead. Sorry Dan but you're sitting around reading instead of posting and I think it shows a lack of leadership. We can all vote on it later after you've been to class and we get a set of bylaws set up to keep us organized and on the same page.

Now that those rascal relates of mine (Bo 'n Tom) know there's a watchdog group keeping tabs on them, they'll probably just wander off and build kit houses. They never did have any staying power.

PS to Ellsworth.... Don't hold LogHomeFeverDan responsible for any of this. I think Marv's kinda forcing him into it. I'll try to keep them both civil and unprepositious.

I have to go to work now and earn a living so I can pay someone to come out and finish my house.

rreidnauer
02-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Boy! That pot sure does like callin' us kettles black! :D

BoFuller
02-14-2013, 02:28 PM
When did I ever hijack a thread??

Seriously???

Tom Featherstone
02-14-2013, 02:51 PM
My.. My.. Staying Power? If anybody has that mixed up it's LHN.. Staying in "Neutral" on his build. I'm starting to feel the family jinx in just getting started. What's this thread about anyway?

Somebody's Watching US? I hope they enjoy the show!

BoFuller
02-14-2013, 03:02 PM
I thought the average Joe hijacks threads, so I thought we were suppose to be doing it.

Really!

LogHomeFeverDan
02-14-2013, 06:11 PM
Your honor, at this juncture I'd like to replace my court appointed ...eep am I really going to say "attorney"....well legal representative with someone, ANYONE as far from sharing LHN's mindset as possible. I only feel this will ensure I'm sane enough, post class, to actually build a LHBA home.

edkemper
02-14-2013, 06:20 PM
Dan,

> I only feel this will ensure I'm sane enough, post class, to actually build a LHBA home.

Like many types of infections, once you got it you can't get rid of it. I think you've already made it clear you are already insane. You fit in just fine. :D

BoFuller
02-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Now there is thread hijacking. Ed starts talking about infections. What do infections have to do with wind shear?

LogHomeFeverDan
02-15-2013, 01:51 AM
Dan,

> I only feel this will ensure I'm sane enough, post class, to actually build a LHBA home.

Like many types of infections, once you got it you can't get rid of it. I think you've already made it clear you are already insane. You fit in just fine. :D LOL You may be right, but it just may be a lunatic you're looking for.....

John W
02-15-2013, 05:05 AM
Wind shear, did somebody say windshear? Reminds me, back when I was flying, had just threaded through two thunderstorms and headed back to base, complete IFR approach, wicked crosswind, bumpy as all get out, right down to mins to a wet runway.

So There I Was, flying this approach, getting bounced around the cockpit, and a little voice said...build a log cabin...build a log cabin...but watch out for LHN and his ridgepole.

True story, you know, mostly.

My only objection to this whole thread is that I don't think anybody that finishes a log home is 'average' in any way, except maybe height and weight. Maybe a little above average in weight, judging by some of the pictures, in which case, I'm trying very hard to fit in.

BoFuller
02-15-2013, 05:44 AM
Outstanding, John W!

BoFuller
02-15-2013, 05:45 AM
And remind me to tell you about my first experience with wind shear, flying into Big Bear City in Southern Ca.

marvlus
02-15-2013, 05:52 AM
OK Marv. I can see that you're the brains of the outfit so go ahead and run with it and I'll follow your lead. Sorry Dan but you're sitting around reading instead of posting and I think it shows a lack of leadership. We can all vote on it later after you've been to class and we get a set of bylaws set up to keep us organized and on the same page.

Now that those rascal relates of mine (Bo 'n Tom) know there's a watchdog group keeping tabs on them, they'll probably just wander off and build kit houses. They never did have any staying power.

PS to Ellsworth.... Don't hold LogHomeFeverDan responsible for any of this. I think Marv's kinda forcing him into it. I'll try to keep them both civil and unprepositious.

I have to go to work now and earn a living so I can pay someone to come out and finish my house.

It is with sincere regret that I step down as an advocate for the elimination of TDE's. After many hours of soul-searching, I have come to the realization that this is an impossible endeavor (speaking for myself, anyway). LHN, I appreciate your confidence in me as leader of this group, but I am not that person. I think LogHomeFeverDan or even you fit that bill perfectly! ;)

I have to go to work now and earn a living so I can prepare for my log home to retire in.

loghousenut
02-15-2013, 09:05 AM
It is with sincere regret that I step down as an advocate for the elimination of TDE's. After many hours of soul-searching, I have come to the realization that this is an impossible endeavor (speaking for myself, anyway). LHN, I appreciate your confidence in me as leader of this group, but I am not that person. I think LogHomeFeverDan or even you fit that bill perfectly! ;)

I have to go to work now and earn a living so I can prepare for my log home to retire in.

Eloquent, but a crushing temporary defeat for the cause. While most would think this setback would put an end to all attempts by we forum agents to get a handle on this TDE thing... Well, you're probably right on the money.

Then again, perhaps this is just the impetus needed for that groundswell of grassroot support to reign it's ugly head against the tyranny that surrounds us all here in Internetforumland (IFL). Just because we lack a leader is no reason why we can't, as individuals, strike back for the cause much like our forefathers, in Revolutionary times, fought like gorillas against the invading Red Army.

While we're waiting for a leader to push ahead of us (probably Dan, once he's taken the class), we can all secretly do our part by unhijacking the occasional TDE'd thread and gently underailing it back on track to wherever the original poster might have foolishly wanted it to go. I'd try it right now on this thread but I think it's too far gone to revive.

Now if I can get all Shermanesque on you (look it up Tom), may I simply say that I shall not seek, and I will not accept, any nomination for a term as your forum agent leader.

LogHomeFeverDan
02-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Against the advice from the Average Joe, who's counseling me, I feel the urge to say, I don't really "hijack" threads, I just like to converse. :cool:

BoFuller
02-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Oh, you're fitting right in. :)

Timber
02-15-2013, 08:47 PM
that samari looks like it might turn them tires about 2 miles per hour
oh wait those are standard tires on a mini

throw chains on the vet it will be fine with a lead foot

Timber
02-15-2013, 09:08 PM
well my dad and his syblings rode horses to school and i am only 55/so not that long ago
they lived 26 miles out of douglas wy. and went to a country school about 3 or 4 mile ride

LBolton2008
02-19-2013, 05:58 PM
FishingAddict,

We are looking to move to Montana. Please tell me some GOOD things that you experienced.....or anyone else who wants to chime in. ;)