PDA

View Full Version : Is our vision realistic?

emilik
01-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Hello all! :cool:

I've dreamed about building and owning a log home for years and it looks like the time is finally right! Originally we were considering a log home kit - now I know better. ;) My heart is definitely for building our own home, but I'm concerned about some of our constraints, and whether it's a realistic thing for us right now. (How I wish I had found this site years ago!!)

Because my husband recently took a new job, nearly 2 hours from where we currently live, it is imperative that we move closer to his new office asap (what originally sparked us to start looking at home options now!). We also have two small children (3 years, and 8 months) which adds more restrictions. Our budget for building is higher than a lot of what I've seen around here ($200,000-$250,000 depending on cost of land), which I guess gives us some wiggle room as far as hiring out if we need to, or paying for extra hands, but staying within budget and our timeline is what concerns me the most.

Relevant info: We live in CT where land is EXPENSIVE and there isn't much getting away from the plentiful bureaucratic hoops. Our vision is for a 1700-2000 sq. ft. home, single story, mostly open floor plan, with a full basement below. We're pretty middle-of-the-road people, not looking for luxury but we would want this to be a "forever home" for a potentially large family so we're willing to pull out some stops to be sure never outgrow it.

If we take the class at the beginning of March, is it completely loony to think that we could find and secure land, gather materials (luckily I'm well versed in salvaging and bargain-hunting - actually looking forward to that part!), arrange well/septic, secure permits, pour a foundation which would ideally be a full basement, and erect a shell and roof, working mostly on the weekends, in a period of about 4 months? Go ahead, lay it on me. :p How much outside help would that require?? I would be available during the week to oversee anything going on that we aren't doing with our own hands and help out where I can.

The benefit of having that work done by the summer months is that I'll then have help with the children (my high school aged sister out for summer vacation) and hopefully be able to learn the skills to do much of the interior work while my husband is at his job during the week. (Somehow I just don't think that little ol' me is going to do much good stacking logs out there all by my lonesome - but I do think I could handle much of the work beyond the shell with the right resources. Seem reasonable?)

We would, of course, be living on the land as soon as possible in a mobile home or existing structure, but with two little ones and hoping for more you can imagine I want to be in a home as soon as possible! What tips would you have for me? Do you think our vision is doable? I want nothing more than to be in Las Vegas come March 2nd, but I need to know that we can commit to this plan and make it happen in a way that works for our family - I saw someone on here say that you can only have a home 2 of 3 ways: good, fast, or cheap. We need darn good, pretty fast, and somewhat cheap. Can we do it??

rocklock
01-19-2013, 03:38 PM
yes...
you have some decisions to make, but we recommend taking the class that this web site has to offer...I am sure others will offer much advise, but look at my pictures and video to see how a 30 by 30 works. I also have a walk out basement which is something you mentioned....
My sqft is about 2560 but it includes a full basement and a 3/4 second floor...
Of you build a 40 by 40 your looking at 3200 plus a second floor is almost free given the way we build our homes... So a 40 by 40 will give you over 4,000 sqft of living area... so many build a little smaller...

You will have plenty of money which will help you build much faster. You may even concider a menber that can speed up the entire process...

So you have lots of options.. Good luck... Have fun... enjoy the process.

loghousenut
01-19-2013, 03:44 PM
I think the nuttiest thing you two could do is put off this dream for 20 or 30 years. There's a ton of worn out old foggies out there who'll brag about all they coulda done with their life. Get started.

If you ask me, the second nuttiest thing is your planned schedule. I don't say it's crazy because it can't be done. I say it's crazy because I couldn't do it and I can't imagine that kind of stress being good for you.

If you were to take the class in March (both of you) and be looking for that chunk of ground with an old ramshackle house or an ugly trailer, and if you were planning on living in that existing structure while you built that 35'x35' log home, and if you planned on building the house while leaving enough hours in the day for staying married and for raising the crumbcrunchers... Well I'd say that was a plan. In my mind, the goal is to have the kids grow up knowing that building a home with your own hands and without a mortgage is normal. They won't care what house they lived in when they were 5 years old. They'll care about family. I say slow it down enough that you don't make a mess out of their family.

The thing can get built and having a bit of cash won't slow it down. You are definitely among friends here who are doing the same thing.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Rafters9-2010220.jpg

blane
01-19-2013, 05:34 PM
Sounds like you have a good plan to me. Yea, with some help you could get the shell up in 4 months. As far as the little ones being a restriction, find a teen age girl to come hang out with them while you are working on the house on Saturday's. We have 5 children living in a 2 bedroom single wide trailer and homeschool. My wife helps me all the time. She used to put our baby in the car seat while she lifted rafters and logs for me in our Suburban "she would sleep for hours". I have a 20 year old son who helps me a lot and an 11 year old daughter that helps greatly with the younger children.
You are welcome to read our blog to see how we are making it happen.

rreidnauer
01-19-2013, 06:21 PM
With taking the class and WileyLogHomes.com's help, four months sounds possible. Even most contractor built stick-framed homes take four months. I doubt that time frame just on your own.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

LogHomeFeverDan
01-20-2013, 04:37 AM
Anything you can dream **can** be done. The challenge lies in having the determination, drive and passion to ensure it gets done. Obstacles are nothing more than challenges to overcome. Think outside the box. You already understand bargain hunting and repurposing. Instead of stressing over "can it be done", think of this as an excellent adventure (sorry Bill and Ted). This forum, and remember we're only on the non member's side, is FULL of enablers. Good folks who will be supportive in building your dreams. I'm certain you would have a plethora of solutions from this group.

I'm attending class in March. Hope to meet you there.

emilik
01-20-2013, 04:43 PM
Thank you all for the encouraging words!

In my mind, the goal is to have the kids grow up knowing that building a home with your own hands and without a mortgage is normal. They won't care what house they lived in when they were 5 years old. They'll care about family.

The more I think about it, the more important I feel like this attitude is. Thank you for those words! That is absolutely how we feel as well, and we need to keep reminding ourselves of that when it all starts to seem a little crazy! My husband and I talked more last night and are definitely willing to slow things down provided we can live on the land through all 4 seasons as we do so.

Blane, your story is very encouraging! I looked at your blog and it seems our families are quite like-minded. :) I love seeing how you're all working together to make it happen! May that be us as well!

Rreidnauer, the owner of Wiley Log Homes is a member here right? (I can't wait to be on "the other side" and see what everyone is up to! ;)) What a wonderful resource to keep in mind.

LogHomeFeverDan, we just reserved our spots for the March class so we will see you in Vegas! :cool:

Mosseyme
01-20-2013, 06:16 PM
Yeah, 2 more families to hang out with here. I dont think you will ever be sorry. Well, maybe for a moment when every bone in your body is crying for a break and you are trying to get just one more thing done. Welcome to the time of your life.

Pat
01-21-2013, 08:45 PM
I don't know how manageable that time frame is; about the only thing I know about construction is that there are always delays, no matter how well planned and organized. One thing you can do, though, is buy a camper and put it on your land. It will be tight living for as long as it takes, but it will be summertime at least. That might give you a buffer. Besides, no one ever listens to the stories where everything was easy.

HardmanGT
01-22-2013, 05:04 AM
Not to talk you out of living in CT, but my wife and I had enough of the high costs of living etc. After discovering the LHBA, we took the class, bought land to build on in western North Carolina, sold her condo in Seymour, sold our home in Waterbury and moved into our temporary housing. This all happened in 2012 and we have been down here since the beginning of December. We love it here! The weather is better, the cost of living is a fraction of CT and people are so much nicer.

The house we bought for temporary purposes has twice the property of our Waterbury home and it costs us 1/12 the property taxes!

LogHomeFeverDan
01-22-2013, 06:58 AM
Jeremy, pardon my not knowing, but are you building near Rutherfordton?

HardmanGT
01-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Jeremy, pardon my not knowing, but are you building near Rutherfordton?
Brigitte and I are building on 12 Mile Post in Lake Lure ;)

emilik
01-22-2013, 09:00 AM
Jeremy, I so hear you - moving out of state is something we've considered many times. It's still not totally off the table, but we do like being close to our families and with this brand new job in front of us... It's looking like we'll be here a while. Another reason is the state laws that govern some of our lifestyle choices are remarkably hands-off here (homeschooling is unmonitered, having our babies at home isn't an issue - things like that that make our co-existence with the government just a little more peaceful ;)). BUT I know that there are certainly places where our choices are equally unregulated, so we'll just have to see where life takes us. I don't doubt those numbers about CT vs NC at all though, the COL here is absolutely outrageous.

blane
01-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Homeschoolers ay, Nc has probably some of the best homeschooling laws on the East Cost ya know. Some amazing resources here not to mention some good home school conferences near by. Not to mention several members who would jump at the chance to help you.

emilik
01-22-2013, 12:05 PM
Oh boy, you guys are going to get me in trouble!! Ha! North Carolina huh? I think I'm in for some research tonight... I'll have to report back as to the husband's thoughts on relocation. ;)

Mosseyme
01-22-2013, 02:45 PM
There are at least 5 builds going on within 100 miles of Asheville NC and several more gearing up for the near future

Zetmandu
01-22-2013, 03:52 PM
No kidding...we are turning into the Washington of the east coast as far as builds going on

LogHomeFeverDan
01-22-2013, 04:24 PM
Brigitte and I are building on 12 Mile Post in Lake Lure ;)

OK!! <whew> now I'm putting two and two together. You are Brigitte are a couple. I gotta find out where 12 Mile Post is. Will be in Rutherfordton the next four saturday mornings doing a beekeeping class with eldest daughter. Very friendly folks there. Once I get to class in March I'm offering to lend a hand if you need. I learn fast when I'm doing it!

LogHomeFeverDan
01-22-2013, 04:32 PM
We're about eight miles out Bill's Creek Road from the Lake Lure side. You turn off on a lil road named Otter Creek Road. Then onto Fibber MaGee Drive off Otter Creek Road.

Mosseyme
01-22-2013, 04:58 PM
Yes Dan,
When you first started talking here and said something about Brigitte and I miss read it and thought your wife was Brigitte because you were talking about Rutherfordton ect.
I thought this can't be, two couples one from Conn and one from Fla all moving to Rutherfordton and both wive named Brigitte. I was confused until I went back and read you were going to be building close to Brigitte. You guys are really lucky to both be at this close in stage of build and close to each other. This will be cool to watch.
I hope you keep a lot of it on the forum.

I think you guys can pm personal info if you want.

loghousenut
01-22-2013, 11:22 PM
Yeah, I'm confused a bit also Mossey. All these guys who can't get their Wive's names straight and don't seem to know wherever they live. One thing for sure... My Wife's name is Patty and I'm building somewhere right close to her. Wish I was back near that East Coast Washington so I could straighten you folks out.

PS... I can't wait to get Dan on the other side of the forum. Has he figured out his Wife's name yet?

HardmanGT
01-23-2013, 04:18 AM
You guys crack me up!

rckclmbr428
01-23-2013, 04:58 AM
four months is a very tight time frame. Subbing the majority of it out will help that be possible, and your budget is pretty doable for subbing most of it out. We can put walls up and have the roof on most of these homes in about 2 weeks. (two weeks of non stop 12-14hr days, with my crew that has built a lot of them) Blane who chimed in earlier is doing it 100% by himself, and is under roof and framed in, ready for electric, hvac and plumbing. After visiting with him yesterday he is on year 3 of his build. There a truth in life that has a lot of application in home building. You can only have it two of three ways, Cheap, Fast, and Good. Blane has chosen cheap and good, thereby its not fast. You seem to be looking for good and fast, which means it wont be as cheap. Just something to think about when you start hearing the stories of people being done for under 20k. I'm Ronnie btw, that Rod mentioned earlier from Wiley log homes.

blane
01-23-2013, 05:30 AM
BTW Ronnie,
Thanks for stoping by yesterday. It really helps just to have someone who knows what they are doing to check me out on things.
four months is a very tight time frame. Subbing the majority of it out will help that be possible, and your budget is pretty doable for subbing most of it out. We can put walls up and have the roof on most of these homes in about 2 weeks. (two weeks of non stop 12-14hr days, with my crew that has built a lot of them) Blane who chimed in earlier is doing it 100% by himself, and is under roof and framed in, ready for electric, hvac and plumbing. After visiting with him yesterday he is on year 3 of his build. There a truth in life that has a lot of application in home building. You can only have it two of three ways, Cheap, Fast, and Good. Blane has chosen cheap and good, thereby its not fast. You seem to be looking for good and fast, which means it wont be as cheap. Just something to think about when you start hearing the stories of people being done for under 20k. I'm Ronnie btw, that Rod mentioned earlier from Wiley log homes.

LogHomeFeverDan
01-23-2013, 06:17 AM
Have I figured out my wife's name??? I know I have a wife, but I don't remember my OWN name half the time!

Well spoken Ronnie. So you're in WNC/East TN too??? We may just have a LHBA semi city in the area!

blane
01-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Ha! Ronnie is pretty much wherever he needs to be. West Virginia
Have I figured out my wife's name??? I know I have a wife, but I don't remember my OWN name half the time!

Well spoken Ronnie. So you're in WNC/East TN too??? We may just have a LHBA semi city in the area!

rckclmbr428
01-23-2013, 07:15 AM

I live in Roanoke, VA and go everywhere, this year Washington State is the furthest we traveled. Here is what I was working on down in NC, I designed this home and am managing the construction, just a little weekend getaway place....
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/rckclmbr428/North%20Carolina%20Home/IMG_3341.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/rckclmbr428/North%20Carolina%20Home/IMG_3353.jpg

LogHomeFeverDan
01-24-2013, 07:54 AM
I live in Roanoke, VA and go everywhere, this year Washington State is the furthest we traveled. Here is what I was working on down in NC, I designed this home and am managing the construction, just a little weekend getaway place....
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/rckclmbr428/North%20Carolina%20Home/IMG_3341.jpg
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/rckclmbr428/North%20Carolina%20Home/IMG_3353.jpg

I so have to see this in person. Is it March yet???? :confused:

AkChas
01-24-2013, 11:40 AM
RONNIE!!! Wrong thread, I know -- but -- been dying to hear how it went on Christmas Day, with the wife's gift of a car! :)

rckclmbr428
01-24-2013, 11:51 AM
RONNIE!!! Wrong thread, I know -- but -- been dying to hear how it went on Christmas Day, with the wife's gift of a car! :)
It went great! I got it in the driveway at about 3am, she never woke up. the master is on the front of the house, she woke up and was starting to freak out "theres someone here!" I got up and looked out the window and said "I dont see anyone" she replied "whos car is that? Who's here?" I said "its yours, no one is here" then she really started to freak out! good times!

rreidnauer
01-24-2013, 05:59 PM
Very cool! Gotta love it when a plan goes off without a hitch!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

Bmetz34
02-12-2013, 07:34 AM
anonymous wife patching in here! emilik- I also wanted everything started and finished in a short period of time so we could start enjoying our forever home. We're newly married and are potentially having kids in the near future, so with all that hubub I figured it'd be much better to just get it all done and over with. It's taken a lot of thought, deep breathing, making lists and playing with a calculator, but it's pretty clear to us now that we need to take the slow road. Budget was probably our biggest issue, since we'd have trouble getting a construction loan, and then time constraints and penalties on top of that. So we're going with a loose outline of 2-3 years now, and realizing that life is going to happen in the meantime. We bought a tiny house a town away and while we're saving our pennies for our log home, we will make this our home for now. It seems with your budget, you might have some more freedom and be able to get help in. I would have no hesitation in using Wiley Log Homes to get the shell and roof up, if not do everything! You're going to love the class and have a million new questions after that! Just be prepared to change your mind about a thousand times. I think our imaginary house has already been on a couple different acres and it seems to move every time we visit the property! Good luck and keep us posted!