PDA

View Full Version : They're all correct when they say 'Take The Class'

John W
12-07-2012, 07:53 AM
You read in almost every thread from one of regulars or other members to take the class. Well, had I taken the class last year, it would have helped me right now with a possible land purchase.
Don't know the questions to ask, trees that are there are good to use, what about streams through your property, perc tests, mineral rights, county regulations, etc, etc, etc.
I've posted before about this property, and it dropped in price. Know one more kicker? It has a tech school adjacent to it, and they build houses. If I work it right, can you say, free labor for extra credit??? If I was a student at a tech school doing some building, I'd kill to be on a log home build. That would be fun.
So anyway, just a personal story of regret to maybe teach a lesson. Take the class sooner rather than later, or too late.

StressMan79
12-07-2012, 09:54 AM
this aint the instructor's first rodeo. They will help you know the positives/negatives of all that: just a for instance, the creeks may be a great hydro solution, but they may create a "wetland" or protected area that seriously limits how/what you can build. The limitations depend on lots of things, not the least of which are the district (state/county) you are considering, etc. Besides teaching you "how to build" an inexpensive home, they also can answer tons of related questions like this. Anyway, John, When are we going to welcome you to the other side?

-Peter

John W
12-07-2012, 10:19 AM
Birthday and Christmas presents are forgone in lieu of cash for the class. Hopefully March.

edkemper
12-07-2012, 12:33 PM
John,

Just want to throw this out; Perhaps the best birthday and christmas present you will ever get/give will be the class. Perhaps the present that will be enjoyed for generations.

Just a thought. Hope to see you on the other side, soon.

hammerhead 67
12-07-2012, 02:59 PM
I think when its all said and done, LHBA is going to be a life changer.
Was searching for a "final" home. Tired of moving. Hate the city..... all that restless stuff.

Took the class and it really fit what I wanted to build. A year later, we have piers in the ground to build the "practice shed" that will become our home office once the house build is finished. Should have it finished by springtime.

The house build will kick off next spring as soon as mud season ends in April. We are hoping to be dried in by the end of summer. When its all done, will we have a beautiful 35x35 with full basement and half loft in the country DEBT FREE.

The cost of the class was WAY more than worth it.

fireman9
12-09-2012, 02:51 PM
Hey John, I am right out of San Antonio in La Vernia and planning to build after the holidays, If I can find some logs that is. You are welcome to come out anytime.
Steve

John W
12-10-2012, 06:49 AM
You bet Steve/Fireman! Look forward to it.

drummer boy
12-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Birthday and Christmas presents are forgone in lieu of cash for the class. Hopefully March.

That is exactly what my wife and I did for Christmas. It was the best gift ever. We took a feb. class... We have our land, cut pad and half the trees down...If I could get out of school, I could go faster. ;)

loghousenut
12-31-2012, 10:51 PM
Happy New Year and a new start.

rckclmbr428
01-01-2013, 04:31 AM
Welcome to the members side