PDA

View Full Version : Rotating Logs While They're Seasoning/Drying

John W
11-01-2012, 11:37 AM
From all I've read here, it's preferable, but not necesary, to let your logs dry before you use them. Less water means easier to move around and work with. Although it doesn't matter with the butt and pass method as far as walls settling, it still seems like the way to go for other reasons.
But what if, like me, you might wind up building far away from where you're living for those months leading up to the build? Am I going to run into serious problems with rot if I don't have any chance to rotate my logs for that time? If they were under a cover that allowed air to flow through, take away the rot aspect of it, are there any other problems if you don't rotate them? You peel them first, right?

StressMan79
11-01-2012, 12:14 PM
OK, first and foremost, the BnP method will forgive all but the most egregious of errors.

My logs sat from 2 months to 3 years, and I did not rotate, cover, borate, etc.

When it came time to stack, they were still straight, had no rot, etc.

my property is in E Washington, and it is semiarid, so not wet, and my trees were 120 yrs old... very tight rings.

know your situation, and you'll be fine.

-Peter

John W
11-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Thx Peter.

ivanshayka
11-02-2012, 09:39 PM
My trees are Red Pine, and are very prone to rotting and bugs eat it like it is candy. If you peel your trees right of way, bugs leave em be, but you still have to lift them off the ground on sacrificial logs. Just FYI.
Ivan.