PDA

View Full Version : floorplan

discipler
10-26-2012, 09:38 AM
Do you get a floorplan if you attend the lhba class?
thanks
chris

Ps
Is anyone building near western kentucky?

John W
10-26-2012, 10:50 AM
Discipler, I haven't attended the class, but stock plans in different sizes are available to purchase at a discounted price at the class. I think we're talking around $1,000. There are options to buy several plans for just a little more I think. Someone who has been recently will chime in with the actual numbers, I'm sure.

Plumb Level
10-26-2012, 02:24 PM
There is a floor plan in the class work book, or maybe a couple of them. But no official plans unless you buy them.

I didn't buy plans as I'm building in an area with no building codes - so I can't help you on the cost.

There are a lot of members building in KY, TN and NC. Another up in Southern Ohio.

rreidnauer
10-26-2012, 03:12 PM
I didn't buy plans as I'm building in an area with no building codes . . . . .
Ohhhh, if only I could be so blessed.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

LogHomeFeverDan
10-28-2012, 10:04 AM
Don't get me started. I only get aggravated when I start contemplating how we are TOLD what, where, how, type, we can build. WHat happened to it being OUR land we can build what we want and don't have to get permission from a governmental official that doesn't have a clue. Oh well getting off soapbox now.

loghousenut
10-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Quit yer whinin' Dan. It's not like they won't let you build a house on your own land. All they want is for you to ask permission and then pay a fee. That's not too much to ask is it?

I hope nobody who knows me reads this. I feel like an idiot.

LogHomeFeverDan
10-29-2012, 06:21 PM
LOL LHN, when you put it in THAT perspective. ... You did forget than once you ask permission and pay the fee you still must wait the two or three weeks for them to generate the paperwork.

loghousenut
10-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Well Dan,

When you get to the "too old and too lazy" stage of life that I'm in, you won't mind a few weeks of wait. I've been thinking about filing for a new building permit just to give me another excuse to not work on the house for a few more weeks.

Heck, I've been waiting six months for any progress at all on my place. I suppose I'm gonna have to get my work shorts on and go make a bit of headway on my own. I keep thinking that this place is gonna build itself.

Tom Featherstone
10-30-2012, 03:23 AM
Chris,

You don't get a "floor plan" with the cost of the class but what you do get is the set of tools required to complete these homes. The tools are not in the form of a hammer or tape measure, they are the tools of the road map on how to get you there. The Customer Support in this tool set is the Best that any money can buy... anywhere. A 100% Guarantee if you are not completely satisfied. LHBA sells floor plans as a service to its Members at a greatly reduced price, no sales pitch.

Our "Members Forum" is invaluable with the information available to its members. We are a bit more "social" over there and share more personal info and a bit of bantering goes on, all in good fun. Bottom line is though, the Members there will assist you with everything you Forgot in class or missed and be able to walk you through this process if necessary, this being possible because of the internet today. I would hope that one day I'll get to meet face to face with the many fine people we've met through this. Our World has expanded with the Blessings of the many we now consider friends here.

None of the Members interacting here receive any compensation for "Tooting" this horn.

I guess I just did!

Plumb Level
10-30-2012, 08:07 AM
I should know better than to throw out my "no building code" comment. I'll try to refrain from that in the future. I really sympathize with all of you dealing with that.

I am moving my office about a mile away from it's current location. Here are some things I'm dealing with:

1. $2500 for an architect that I don't need except to get a permit. My architect told me that any builder worth anything could work off the sketches I made, but I have to use him to pull a permit. It is a 1200sf office with 2 partitions and a small bathroom. Then we need $1000 of mechanical engineering for HVAC, plumbing, and electrical.
2. Then I need a "mop sink", even if I'm putting carpet on every sf of floor, I still need a mop sink.
3. regulations on signage are going to cause me to wrap my head in duct tape so that it doesn't explode!

It can only get better!

panderson03
10-30-2012, 10:25 AM
Well Dan,

When you get to the "too old and too lazy" stage of life that I'm in, you won't mind a few weeks of wait. I've been thinking about filing for a new building permit just to give me another excuse to not work on the house for a few more weeks.

Heck, I've been waiting six months for any progress at all on my place. I suppose I'm gonna have to get my work shorts on and go make a bit of headway on my own. I keep thinking that this place is gonna build itself.
your wife is a very patient woman, LHN.

LogHomeFeverDan
10-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Chris,

You don't get a "floor plan" with the cost of the class but what you do get is the set of tools required to complete these homes. The tools are not in the form of a hammer or tape measure, they are the tools of the road map on how to get you there. The Customer Support in this tool set is the Best that any money can buy... anywhere. A 100% Guarantee if you are not completely satisfied. LHBA sells floor plans as a service to its Members at a greatly reduced price, no sales pitch.

Our "Members Forum" is invaluable with the information available to its members. We are a bit more "social" over there and share more personal info and a bit of bantering goes on, all in good fun. Bottom line is though, the Members there will assist you with everything you Forgot in class or missed and be able to walk you through this process if necessary, this being possible because of the internet today. I would hope that one day I'll get to meet face to face with the many fine people we've met through this. Our World has expanded with the Blessings of the many we now consider friends here.

None of the Members interacting here receive any compensation for "Tooting" this horn.

I guess I just did!

It's posts like this that only serve to make me MORE eager to get to the class. Just couldn't swing November but will definitely be in the next one. I know I've been blessed with knowledge and a kinship of sorts already.

LogHomeFeverDan
10-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Well Dan,

LHN, btw I saw the youtube of you falling the ridgepole. Impressive my friend impressive. I'm not too far behind you chronologically. (-: However, with all due respect, I prefer recoup time to "wait". Of course when I've not even been able to get to class yet it's more impatient than "recoup" time!

evans239
01-25-2013, 05:51 AM
Discipler, I'm building in Western KY.

blane
01-25-2013, 06:30 AM
Just something for thought on the permit thing. At first, I was kinda bumbed by the whole thing but my BI has saved me a bunch of money from the get go. If you get a good one they can actually be helpful for those of us with no experience and you might even make some new friends.

thoner7
01-25-2013, 08:31 AM
where are there no building codes? I'd like to move there!

emilik
01-25-2013, 08:35 AM
where are there no building codes? I'd like to move there!

Seriously, that's what I'm thinking! The thought of getting approval for every step stresses me out way more than the work of actually building the house.

AkChas
01-25-2013, 09:18 AM
Seriously, that's what I'm thinking! The thought of getting approval for every step stresses me out way more than the work of actually building the house.

Ronnie (rckclmbr428), made comment a while back about a county(ies) in WV that had no codes. Might of been on the Member's side. I'm sure there are other jursidictions in remote regions of the country. But like Blane eludes to -- for a first-time owner/builder -- SOME codes and inspections could be a blessing. Codes to follow that make sense and make you safer. And.....It's a matter of finding a jurisdiction with non-oppressive requirements and the 'luck' of having a cooperative/friendly Building Inspector.

Steve Wolfe
01-26-2013, 01:50 PM
In my county, (Susquehanna, PA) there are areas where you don’t need a permit to build…..but…whatever home you build will be considered a seasonal home. There doesn’t seem to be anything they can do to prevent you from living in your place year round but if you ever sell it has to be listed/sold as a seasonal residence. That may scare some people away but there is nothing to prevent the buyer from living there full time. Not that I ever intend to sell but I went ahead and got a permit. My son and his son will eventually own my place and I didn’t want to leave any surprises for them. Getting inspections every step of the way bites but it’s not all bad. You always, (legally) have to get a permit for your septic system anyway and as Chas said, the inspections can be a blessing if you get a good BI - especially if you are building your first place.

rckclmbr428
01-26-2013, 03:05 PM
Yes there are counties in the great state of WV that require no permits.... Not even septic ! I have a home going in in Mason county, just call the power company and tell them were to drop the power. That's it. The father in law on that build was trying to talkthem out of a septic , "just run a pipe over the hill, everyone does it"

exsailor
01-29-2013, 07:16 AM
I have a friend that lives in Greenbrier county, West Virginia. He keeps trying to get me to move there when I retire. He doesn't have any building or septic permit requirements. There are places without permit requirements it generally is a stae/county by county thing.

AkChas
01-29-2013, 07:34 AM
.......... The father in law on that build was trying to talk them out of a septic , "just run a pipe over the hill, everyone does it"

Eeeeewww! Let that be 'word-to-the-wise' to anyone considering building in this region -- plan to be at the highest elevation around. Because we all know... "It" flows downhill!

Timberwolf
01-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Yes there are counties in the great state of WV that require no permits.... Not even septic ! The father in law on that build was trying to talkthem out of a septic , "just run a pipe over the hill, everyone does it"

AND that's the reason WHY there are permits.

edkemper
01-29-2013, 12:39 PM
> AND that's the reason WHY there are permits.

That is one of the reasons.

BoFuller
01-29-2013, 05:47 PM
That's one of the few good reasons, even though it comes after several other questionable ones.

blane
01-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Ha! I was in Belarus on a mission trip once years ago and was shocked to see in the country everyone had outhouses within 30' of a big river. Thats where they caught and eat fish, went swimming and possibly piped in the water for other uses including irrigation for crops and drinking, however they mostly drank home brew vodka. WE DID NOT DRINK the water!

HardmanGT
01-30-2013, 11:31 AM
WE DID NOT DRINK the water!
but did you drink the vodka?

blane
01-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Of course I did. That was all they had that wouldn't kill me. In moderation though:)
but did you drink the vodka?