PDA

View Full Version : Piers

JJ Jr
09-26-2012, 10:42 AM
If you build up on piers as I see many do what do you do for the underside to keep the pipes, etc from freezing in the winter? I live in a cooooold state and likely will be building in this cooooold state so it is a concern of course for me....not that it cannot be done somehow but that it can cost effectively be done. Not planning on anything larger than maybe a 30 x 30 or so...just enough for the 2 of us. But if I can avoid aexpense of full basement it would make it happen quicker rather than later. lol

Jr

Timberwolf
09-26-2012, 02:07 PM
There are many ways to accomplish this (many people live in trailers in cold climates, including where i live in Canada). IIRC, this was well covered in class, though my attention may have wavered, since i knew up front i'd be building a basement.

DanS
09-26-2012, 02:08 PM
You build a structure around the the utilities that is insulated. Easier than you think. ;)

Look in places like Bethel, Alaska for inspiration here. Pretty much all buildings in the Y-K are built on piers of some sort, and deal with this problem one way or another. Basically, you build a chase, often heated for the utility lines to pass between the ground and the building.

Dan

JJ Jr
09-26-2012, 04:04 PM
Thanks - kinda makes sense but then one may imagine they should contain the kitchen and bathroom, laundry room etc to a specific wall or general location I am guessing.
I have seen may old seasonal log cabins where they attempted to convert to year round with mixed results. Maybe if it was loaded into the design the whole thing would be more effective and avoid that lousy winter freeze and broken pipes.

If it was set up on piers and one elected to enclose, say with local rocks and mortored in, that at least may help to provide some additional seal.
This somewhat troubles me as 50 years back when I was a young buck we lived in the country and frozen pipes was a miserable matter we had every year. Never want to go through that again. So just piers and chase and I can keep the local Inspectors happy eh? That be good if so .....

Gomer
09-28-2012, 05:27 AM
You build a structure around the the utilities that is insulated. Easier than you think. ;)

Look in places like Bethel, Alaska for inspiration here. Pretty much all buildings in the Y-K are built on piers of some sort, and deal with this problem one way or another. Basically, you build a chase, often heated for the utility lines to pass between the ground and the building.

Dan

I talked to a local building inspector in Warroard, MN year back on doing this very same thing and he said no way...on slab or with cement/block foundation only way to get a signed off final. ????
So we must be talking city/county specific more than a generalization of everywhere I guess.
Costs keep adding up no matter what I do :(

BoFuller
09-28-2012, 10:48 AM

Yep. Figure on it costing twice what you thought and taking twice as long. Fairly good rule of thumb.

DanS
09-28-2012, 12:06 PM
I talked to a local building inspector in Warroard, MN year back on doing this very same thing and he said no way...on slab or with cement/block foundation only way to get a signed off final. ????
So we must be talking city/county specific more than a generalization of everywhere I guess.

Interesting. I haven't done any piers in an area that required an inspection. I'm planning on a full basement just so that my wife and I NEVER have to worry about freezing (we are both gone a lot, up to 3 weeks, and at 9,000 feet it can get mighty cold...). Maybe I should go talk to the building department sooner rather than later to make sure my plans look good to them...

Dan

Gomer
09-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Yep. Figure on it costing twice what you thought and taking twice as long. Fairly good rule of thumb.

I can see that and hear it often so honestly may need to sit back and weigh it all and maybe just hire out or buy existing place I am thinking. Wasn't really the game plan but when it starts creeping closer and closer in cost between the 2 I have to think about the entire scene. Time has a monetary value to me although still not 100% certain where that makes the call.

Gomer
09-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Interesting. I haven't done any piers in an area that required an inspection. I'm planning on a full basement just so that my wife and I NEVER have to worry about freezing (we are both gone a lot, up to 3 weeks, and at 9,000 feet it can get mighty cold...). Maybe I should go talk to the building department sooner rather than later to make sure my plans look good to them...

Dan

well here is the weird part. I am building a 20x30 using the littlehouseplans and they had no issues here with that being on piers .... course its being called a garage for now so no fighting on plumbing. Soon as they sign off I am finishing it as the house. lol
My dream still is a log home on property also. I can easily make them work together as lot is big, and sightlines are such they would be home and guest cabin. The issue is simple - no way can I call a big ol' log cabin a garage. :(

edkemper
09-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Gomer,

The biggest problem you are having is that you haven't been to the class yet. What you think you want and what you think it'll cost may not be accurate after the class. Most of your initial questions will be covered and then you'll start asking questions that will mean something toward an end.

Can't tell you what you end up with after the class.

blane
09-28-2012, 05:41 PM
Plastic waste basket from Lowes with a hole cut out in the top for the pipes to go through and meet the floor from the ground, fill it with spray foam. So, that gives you about 15" insulation. Waste lines don't need as much so just wrap them with pipe insulation and you are good to go.

rreidnauer
09-28-2012, 06:58 PM
Plastic waste basket from Lowes with a hole cut out in the top for the pipes to go through and meet the floor from the ground, fill it with spray foam. So, that gives you about 15" insulation. Waste lines don't need as much so just wrap them with pipe insulation and you are good to go.

I gotta hop to it and do this on my camper before winter sets in. It's already been dipping down into the low 40's some nights. I have my water and waste line coming up together, and I think I'll wrap some copper tubing around them before insulating, so I can circulate hot antifreeze from the wood stove.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy using TapaTalk 2

Gomer
09-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Gomer,

The biggest problem you are having is that you haven't been to the class yet. What you think you want and what you think it'll cost may not be accurate after the class. Most of your initial questions will be covered and then you'll start asking questions that will mean something toward an end.

Can't tell you what you end up with after the class.

Pretty much have lived and subscribed to the LHBA way of life my whole life Ed....so not much change a coming that way. The method to actually build=work around some issue no doubt will help but still have the inspections to deal with so things will be what they are there no matter the who-how-whats.
Pretty much surrounded by those with similar mentality as mine to and most have built themselves whatever they live in today. Difference was years back they let code compliance be more common practical sense. Today it by the written book. Quite a few small log home builders around doing it several different ways and they all buck code issues. The stick DIYers are really PO'ed at the inspectors.....not much one can do.
Building all my places small but practical, whether stick or log. Just my long long way of living. :o

JJ Jr
10-01-2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks everyone and you just scared me enough with the cost factor multiplier to start looking at maybe delaying things altogether.
BTW - where are all the members anyway? I see a few posting and supporting this forum and that leaves many out there whom have no comments?
I assume at some point everyone was where I am?
To you guys who actually do post thanks. It is one of the quietest forums I have ever been around for sure

pinewood
10-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Most of the awesome people on this forum are posting on the members only side. Everyone who has attended the class gets access to all the information on the members side. Not sure why you don't want a full basement. IMO a basement is the most inexpensive square footage of the entire build. Welcome to the forum.

Dane

rckclmbr428
10-01-2012, 06:34 PM
We have log garages here in Va, lots of log barns, lots of log tobacco barns, if you are getting permits the county has to go off what you give them, alot of people build a log practice building before their home, makes sense to me, dont want to screw up on the house, would rather screw up and learn on the garage. just saying

Timberwolf
10-02-2012, 03:33 AM
Thanks everyone and you just scared me enough with the cost factor multiplier to start looking at maybe delaying things altogether.
BTW - where are all the members anyway? I see a few posting and supporting this forum and that leaves many out there whom have no comments?
To you guys who actually do post thanks. It is one of the quietest forums I have ever been around for sure

Really? We are like the largest/most active Log home forum on the Interwebs, of course, as mentioned, most of us are on the members side.

BenB
10-02-2012, 05:00 AM
Not a card carrying member so not a clue as to what lies "yonder" but the few who do post and perform as "goodwill ambassadors" on the public side where the world watches and sees are very informative and helpful and often offer enough teasers (lol) to seem to keep this thing going forward. If not for them I sense it would just be a bunch of us newbs asking one another questions and getting nowhere at all.
I suspect the forum exists to both act as interchange of info for members and as a tool to promote the class/program/whatever you elect to call it. Since it's mainly the info these few "ambassadors" themselves provide I sure hope they understand how key, at least to me and others I have known, they are to keeping this deal alive.
Thanks folks ! :D

loghousenut
10-02-2012, 08:36 AM

JJJ'r,

Delay it however you want but at some point your gonna wanna build that log home. When you're ready this LHBA thing will still work for you. This is not like deciding to take the gold at the Olympics... This thing can really work for virtually everyone who wants it to work.

As for this being a quiet forum.... HA! When I got home from work last night at midnight, instead of climbing in the sack with the "cuddle machine" I stayed up on the forum till my neck was sore from nodding off, and then slithered in next to "Mrs. leave ma alone". Just now I spent 45 minutes on the members side trying to wade through what's going on with my LHBA family this morning, while my Son is reminding me that we have a load of scaffolding on the trailer to unload (stole it at an auction) and a mortar mixer to go fetch (same auction, same theft) before 11:00 am.

Then I get down here to the non members side and I find this one little ole post and a teaser about this forum being a ghost town... Again, HA.

So I get this big, long-winded bunch of post ready to go about some of the recent stuff that folks on the members side are talking about and how all consuming it is and about what a tightly knit family the LHBA really is. All the while the Kid is pestering me about the time and I keep saying "Just a minute, one more sentence". I was almost ready and tossing in a few last minute references to cool stuff like:

The tower being built to watch the neighbors from Hell... The Rottweiler that backed into the wrong buck deer... The Cat that had to chain up to the Gradall telehandler that lifted the tractor out of the creek (TWICE)... And the photos of the scaffolding being used on the log mansion with the 42' tall walls... And the questions about milling lumber for flooring as opposed to buying it... And "to stain or not to stain"... Chinking with a mud pump?... And

And then Google crashed and sent me into a spiraling dive. Now Jake is firing up the telehandler and gonna need my learned guidance unloading the trailer so I can get started on my day off.

From where I sit this LHBA forum seems like it's about an hour per day busier than it needs to be. Timberwolf (we call him Fuzzywolf on the members side) hit the nail right on the head... And then he headed out to get working on the coolest log home in his County.

edkemper
10-02-2012, 11:10 AM
One of the most populated and active forum I've ever been involved in. But thinking about it, the public side is where we all started and all of us had the same questions as all the rest of the non-members. I guess from the public side it might appear to be slow, however, not all is what it appears to be.

As for the prior comment about cost to build, I still love telling how one of our members built a significant size log home and was complaining because it cost them a total of $28,000. His complaint wasn't about the total cost of the house, his complaint was because he went crazy and built a world class fireplace at a cost of $12,000 out of that total.

But the stories and details of these builds are on the member's side.

JJ Jr
10-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Ben-get the statement about the fact certain individuals are the liveblood of the forum. And they again posted replys. Thank you.
I am on this side. I have no idea or concept of "that" other side.
So if I may ask how many are on that other side, active and involved, and why does the burden of keeping this side alive fall on the few of you whom provide what you do?
If there are 4300 plus members it seems sad it is 10-15 of you who keep this active for new wanna be folks like me with many questions. I can expect to see "take the class" comments coming forward already (lol) but we spending probably $1400 - 1600 to get it done with air and lodging and such and what if a few simple questions and answers provided before it may have spared us the expense of something that is not a fit/doable for us. Inforamtion is what makes the world click and the more open ones eyes are the more likey they are to be pleased with concepts and class and all.
These are the thoughts running through my head right now

loghousenut
10-03-2012, 09:12 AM
JJ... Take the class!!!!

Just pulling your chain. I know you want someone else to be the responder but I'm one of the 10 or 15 that post on this forum often enough to be enticing divorce and I can't resist this one.

I just did a quick thumbnail look at the members side and it looks like for yesterday and this morning there were 14 of us posting in this time period. Most of that 14 posted more than once. I didn't go back and look at the week but I look at this forum every day and I think it's safe to say that there were probably 50 different members posting last week. I would bet that if you went back and looked at the month of September, you'd scrounge up 60-75 different members posting. Just a guess but it's a guess that is based on the rough feeling of a guy who spends too much time on this forum.

May I add that I am in not connected with LHBA in any way, other than I took the class a thousand years ago, and am currently building a LHBA home. One of the two moderators (who is also one of the two LHBA instructors) posted twice last week, and I'm thinking you'd have to go back several weeks before that to catch his prior post. It is mostly a bunch of LHBA members helping and yakking with each other. A few of us are fanatics. Most are spending their time more productively... They build their home and fade away.

I think a more accurate measure of the activity on the members side might be number of views.

The "List of Member's 'log home' websites" thread has 4335 views but only 131 replies.

The "AZ Ranch" thread (a thread about my Brothers log home that is nearing the the foundation stage) has 7,105 views but only 335 replies.

The "Ordered Logs" - Hope my math is right?" thread has only 154 views and 6 replies. I guess that says a lot about what we think of math but the problem was solved for the member.

An older thread, "Scribing your butt log" has 31 views and 30 posts, proving that when we see anything about butts, we want to talk about it. We are an expressive lot.

"Working the plan in Japan", about the prettiest log home being built in Japan, has 6,691 views but only 219 replies. Lots of inspiring photos but the builder has few questions to answer.

"Post your craigslist finds!" has 6,007 views and 485 replies.

"Can I borrow your Telehandler (southern Ohio)?" has 79 views but only 3 replies. The answer was a better idea than paying to transport a borrowed telehandler for a relatively small build.

"Stacking logs in MN; Help wanted" had 677 views and 47 replies. The place is looking great!

In May of 2012 I started the thread "Why have a telehandler". Got 2,411 views and 146 replies. Way too many of those replies were from me, but 29 other members chimed in with advice about owning a telehandler, the coolest purchase I have ever been wise enough to make.

JJ, You'll spend 2 days in class and 2 weeks, completely captivated and inspired, reading all those old threads on the members side. Class gets you started... LHBA is for life.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/Rafters9-2010413.jpg

Cruiser
10-03-2012, 09:38 AM
JJ, just to back up LHN, there is a lot of activity. I lead a very busy and stressful life at work right now. I view every "touched" post almost daily and reply occasionally. It just depends on the amount of time i have available. Right now, its just not much so i mainly stay on the member's side reading info that i need to apply to my build. For what it is worth, we all had the same thoughts, questions and reservations that you have. I can say that after becoming a member it opens a whole new world. It really is like a family. We are all different but we all have a common bond in the home we will build and most even in our personal beliefs. It truely is the best forum i have ever been on. I just wanted to speak up as one of the "silent" ones you perceive to let you know we are here, we are involved and we do participate to the degree our time and schedules allow. This is a great group and a great place and we all hope to hear many more posts from you in the future...hopefully on the members' side. ;)

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

blane
10-03-2012, 12:12 PM
JJ, I think I am the only one who posted here that is actually using the pier foundation system, so the lack of members chiming in may be because not manny of them are going that route.
So the thread title may have not attracted as manny members because of that.
However, I have noticed in the public forum and on the other side the ones who did post are the most experienced and are very knowledgeable. Since we are such a unique group here, not everyone does this the same way at every stage. So sometimes I may read a thread and never post because I don't have a clue but I know I could always trust the answers I get from the ones who do post.
LHN, rckclimber, Timber and Rod are always the best source on both sides of the forum.

mario kadu
10-03-2012, 12:33 PM
JJ,

I know it seems ‘slow’ on this side but perhaps this might provide a tiny bit of clarity. LHN already gave you a few details about the information available once you have taken the class so I’ll just add our perspective…Like yourself (and many others) I was hesitant to make the financial commitment to attend the class. $2000 for both of us IS a lot of money! However I now firmly believe it was the best two grand I’ve ever spent. We had planned for many years to retire and live in California’s Sierra foothills. So we had already bought and paid off our ‘dream’ property. We were planning on having a conventional house or a kit log home built. The only way for us to do that was to carry a big fat mortgage, something that seriously bothered us since we’d be seniors dealing with inflation eroding our limited fixed income. However, about a year ago my wife found the LHBA website. It took me a few months of reading on the public side to realize that we could build our own log home paying for it along the way and come out in the end free and clear with an awesome house and avoid a $200,000+ debt. It won’t be easy, it will be darn hard work, it will be incredibly frustrating at times, dealing with every thing from bad weather to unreliable sub-contractors to byzantine inspections and regulations (it is California after all) and in our case it will take at least 3 years, maybe even 4 or 5…but so what? … ‘God willing’ and (literally) ‘the creek don’t rise’ we will do it! The beauty of the member’s side is that since we took the class, we’ve read hundreds and hundreds of posts and been able to anticipate, mitigate, and hopefully avoid numerous problems ranging from foundations to roofs. The other really neat thing is that when we inevitably run into problems or have questions, we are confident knowing that there are literally dozens of really great and cool people who will respond with advice, hints, tips, etc.
So figure it this way – LOL, I’ve just got to say this, “...take the class!” After all they will refund your money if you are not satisfied so you will be only out a few day’s time (and of course travel and lodging) … but …… using us as an example, we not only avoided a huge debt, the cost of the class was less than one month’s payment on a 30 year mortgage.

Our dream: Some day Celianne and I will be sitting on our log home front porch – holding hands and looking at this view……..

http://i1269.photobucket.com/albums/jj582/mariokadu/loghome%20site%20Georgetown%202011/DSC_4622.jpg

Matt F.
10-04-2012, 04:23 AM
This forum exists as a resource for people in the planning/building/enjoying stages of a very specific type of home. While it does help to provide inspiration and motivation to sign up for the class, that is not its purpose. I think the members that contribute to the public side of the forum do so because they are super passionate about log homes, and this forum acts as a drug to feed their habit. :) The majority of the members use this forum as a tool to help them build their homes.

Also, from what I have seen, the majority of people that have taken the class, don't have a lot of construction experience. They might be able to answer very specific questions about what they did in a particular part of their build (i.e. what length 2x6 did they use for their roof decking), but won't be much help with generic questions.

Information is special. Good information is even more so. All of the members have put in significant time, energy, and money (some even sweat and blood), into this process. That's a lot of very personal, hard earned, excellent information. To suggest that all the members should be happy to give it away for free on the internet is silly.

The public forum is a good place to get motivation to attend the class, but LHBA does have a "contact us" link on their website. That's who will be advertising the class. The forum members have no obligation to advertise to strangers. If someone is on the fence about taking the class, there is PLENTY of existing information on the public forum and the main web site to make a decision. The only other piece of the puzzle is you - are you willing to do the work? do you know how to do the work? do you have time to do the work? do you have money to pay someone else to do the work? is it just a house, or is it a life-long passion? are you looking for a fast and cheap way out of "normal"? or are you willing to fight tooth and nail, for years, to struggle and rip yourself out of the clutches of "normal"? Those are really the questions that need to be asked before you decide to take the class - not questions about piers, insulated windows, and cost of metal roofing.

Just my 2 cents. And I'm a guy that spent years on the public side, who just became a member this year. Think of how the old guard must feel.

-Matt

JJ Jr
10-04-2012, 04:53 AM
Information is special. Good information is even more so. All of the members have put in significant time, energy, and money (some even sweat and blood), into this process. That's a lot of very personal, hard earned, excellent information. To suggest that all the members should be happy to give it away for free on the internet is silly.
-Matt

Interesting statement - so they charge on the other side? Where is the difference in giving it away on that side or this side if that is what they do - as you say, offer up assistance and help to others?
I'm not making friends here I suspect by asking questions and sorry for that if that is the case. I've always had other forum(s) be willing to answer and address questions to ones comfort level before sending in money or buying something. Countryplans and the old log home forums I've frequented over the years have been most helpful.
Here I guess it is more a blind faith leap - I'm not saying I won't but lots of what you said also opens more questions than it answers.
Thanks and for now I guess I will just sit back on the fence and see where ultimately I end up feeling most comfortable with. Thanks again for clearing up (?) my thoughts/ideas. Take care

Timberwolf
10-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Interesting statement - so they charge on the other side? Where is the difference in giving it away on that side or this side if that is what they do - as you say, offer up assistance and help to others?
I'm not making friends here I suspect by asking questions and sorry for that if that is the case. I've always had other forum(s) be willing to answer and address questions to ones comfort level before sending in money or buying something. Countryplans and the old log home forums I've frequented over the years have been most helpful.
Here I guess it is more a blind faith leap - I'm not saying I won't but lots of what you said also opens more questions than it answers.
Thanks and for now I guess I will just sit back on the fence and see where ultimately I end up feeling most comfortable with. Thanks again for clearing up (?) my thoughts/ideas. Take care

JJ Jr.

Not sure I understand what you mean "charge" but some clarity may be in order. The members side of the forum is for members, however, beyond the class and becoming a member, there is no charge, fee, monies exchanged etc for access to the forum or to the advice of the members who frequent. If I dare say, the members of this forum are probably the most generous, giving and helpful group you will EVER find ANYWHERE on the internet. The forum admins and moderators are EXTREMELY generous with their time and energy and continually offer up new benefits to it's members, not because they have too, but because they want too.

Additionally, I would have to say that because members have earned their way into the private forums, they're are very much self regulating. Log Homes invoke alot of passion in people, and often times passion brings conflict to the table (just look almost any other Internet forum). We have members from all walks of life, with wildly different backgrounds and beliefs, yet we get along so well on the members side, that rarely is their any moderation required from the admins, things almost never get deleted or locked, there is no SPAM or Troll posts, we are just one big happy dysfunctional family. I for one wouldn't want that to ever change.

Having said all that, I do hope you stick around, I understand the $$ of things all too well, and know that i was on the fence for a good long time myself. Your own passion will ultimately decide what direction you take.

Oh, and one more aside, a quick count this morning, there are approx 5000 threads on the member side, the information to be gleaned from that encyclopedia of gems is priceless.

Sincerely,

Jason.

Matt F.
10-04-2012, 05:38 AM

First, there is no mysterious "they". For clarification purposes, it is a good idea to distinguish between the members and the folks that run the LHBA. The LHBA puts on the class, and you pay them to take part in the class. They teach you a specific method of building a specific type of log home. The members are the people who have taken the class. The members side of the forum is the place where members can ask one another questions, share build pics, tell stories, etc. It's a large group of people, all going through the crazy process of building your own log home. It's a pretty big family. The guys that teach the class also take part in the forum and are happy to answer questions and/or give advice. It works as an extension of the class. The only cost is the class.

The difference between free exchange of information and ideas on the members side vs. telling everyone everthing all the time... You can't be serious, right? That's how it works everywhere. Public schools, private Universities, yoga classes, music schools, etc, etc, etc. Again, this forum's main purpose is to help those that have taken the class before, during, and after their building process. This isn't a Honda car forum, where dudes all slap each other on the back and talk about putting giant wings on the back of their Civics, and ask stupid questions about how many bars of boost they need to be running in able to stay "gnar!" without blowing up their engines.

Again, this forum's purpose is not to advertise for the class, and not to sell you anything. If it helps get people excited and signing up, I'm sure that's great for LHBA. It's your money, you have to decide if it's worth it. All the members had the same question, and I think all of them will tell you that it was worth it. If someone is selling something on the members side, of course they answer any/all questions before the sale/purchase. But the members aren't selling anything on the public side of the forum.

Asking questions is great! But that doesn't guarantee that you'll get answers you like. Dude, you have 6 posts... Your question about piers and insulating plumbing was answered. It was when you started calling out the members, suggesting they are slacking, and assuming they should jump to your aid... that's when you started having a hard time "making friends". What do you want to know that you haven't asked? Try asking.

Hell yes, you should take your time! Traveling to Vegas is a lot of money. It was for me, anyway. Of course you should decide it's something you really, really want to do before you commit. But what are you being forced to take on blind faith? How many questions have you asked yet? One? And it got answered. Make some threads, ask some questions. Put in a little effort, and maybe you'll really like what you discover.

-Matt

blane
10-04-2012, 06:55 AM
I think I answered both of your question's or at least to best of my ability. Heck, my blog is tag lined on all my posts and if you wanted a step by step you could pretty much get it there. Although, without the details of the class it would be pretty difficult to understand why I did what I did and to know what other options are available.

Plumb Level
10-04-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm not seeing any unanswered questions either. Blane answered everything. I think a lot of members like myself will read through a post, and if the question is answered, and there is nothing more to add.....we don't post anything further.

I'll just add a +1 for the basement, if possible at your location. Cheap square footage.

loghousenut
10-04-2012, 09:21 AM
MAN I LOVE THIS PLACE!

Now what do I have to do to the Gradall to make it more "gnar"? It already has a turbo.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/Rafters9-2010068.jpg

JJ... We love you and we're really on your side.

John W
10-04-2012, 09:26 AM
JJ

As you can see from the box to the left, I've been around for a little over a year and posted about 80 times. I've started maybe ten threads. They've mostly been minor questions like 'isn't there going to be a whole bunch of chinking where a square cutoff log meets a round log at the corners' and stuff like that. Everybody has been patient and answered any of the questions I've had.

Reading through all the hundreds of threads, I have seen a couple of them taken over to the member's side. You'll get the overall picture here on the non-member's side, but yes, the details are for the class. And after you take the class and are given access to the member's forum, you can get any and all very detailed questions answered there by the folks that have gone through the class and have built or are building their homes.

Step by step directions on how to actually build a butt and pass home are in the class. Also, buying and selling tools is on the member's side. A person that hasn't had the class can't post that he wants to go to a build site to see what it's all about, and members (I think) aren't supposed to host them. I think what they want to avoid with that is having someone wind up trying to build a butt and pass house without all the information in the class, then having something bad happen because they didn't know all the details. Thread after thread have posts saying the class saved them far more money than they spent in the class, many before they even started building.

Other than taking a little grief over the brand of chainsaw (my wife got me), and that was really nothing, everybody's been great.

And no, I haven't had the class yet. : )

Timberwolf
10-04-2012, 09:31 AM
MAN I LOVE THIS PLACE!

Now what do I have to do to the Gradall to make it more "gnar"? It already has a turbo.

DUDE! You like should so totally put like a RAD spoiler on that ride man! Like it'll give you like so much more hook in the corners man! Plus DUDE it'll look wicked sick and the chicks did WICKED SICK!

Dude!

Gnarly DUDE! Gnarly!

:cool:

loghousenut
10-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Timberwolf... I'm not after chicks, I am after Gnarl.

John... If your Wife had taken the class, she would bought you a grownup chainsaw..............Hahhhaahahhhaaahhhhaaahha!!!

PS... Just funnin'. The worst chainsaw I ever saw was wonderful. Two of my five chainsaws are adolescent saws.

Matt F.
10-05-2012, 05:34 AM
MAN I LOVE THIS PLACE!

I think the next step is to lower that bad boy. Drop it to the ground! From what I've seen, if you can get it so low that it loses 85% of its function, you're on the right track. As the kids say, "MOAR LOW!!!!!!11111111"

the internet is a strange place

-Matt

BoFuller
10-05-2012, 03:08 PM
I think the next step is to lower that bad boy. Drop it to the ground! From what I've seen, if you can get it so low that it loses 85% of its function, you're on the right track. As the kids say, "MOAR LOW!!!!!!11111111"

the internet is a strange place

-Matt

To each his own. Me, I would say lift it. Put about 12 inches of lift under that bad boy, then you'd be styling! :)

rreidnauer
10-06-2012, 04:22 AM
And don't forget to paint the wheels some shade of fluorescent.

Mosseyme
10-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Boys will be boys,
But these boys have got each others backs and any member that needs advice or help. There is also quite a lot of physical help shared around here by folks living sometimes many hours apart that go help on the others build at crucial times. Another thing that the public doesn't always get a view of it that we have members from almost every area of construction experience and experts from many fields that are commited to helping members achieve their goals. Not to mention life. Last week we had a member in Az with a dog injured by a deer and without transportation to a vet and we have a member in NC who is a vet giving advice to Az to his smart phone. Any time you see "member" in this forum you can mentally put family in front of it.
Honestly I usually don't even pay attention to which side the tread is on and may have pushed the edges at times about the info that we can put on the public side. I have been around here for 2 1/2 years and still frequently see an older member pop in to the thread that I have not seen active before. We are doing our cabin completely off grid and without the help and advice of this gang I can't imagine what kind of goofs we would make.
Please understand that this is not something that all people should do. This takes the kind of commitment, work, and attitude that many people do not have. The people that end up here and find a home and heart here are of a different breed. Of that breed of people almost any of them can do this. We currently have some ladies doing it on there own expecting to add some help when needed. My husband and I are in or 60's and we are doing it primarily alone {hope to have some help at certains times}
Remember all of us made the leap with less info than you have on the public side.
So the rest is up to you! The only thing we have to gain is another family member and the knowledge and blessings he or she can bring to us.

Timberwolf
10-06-2012, 08:48 AM
And don't forget to paint the wheels some shade of fluorescent.

And make sure each rim is a different colour!

loghousenut
10-06-2012, 10:29 AM
To each his own. Me, I would say lift it. Put about 12 inches of lift under that bad boy, then you'd be styling! :)

And then Rod added: "And don't forget to paint the wheels some shade of fluorescent."

I keep getting our Gradall stuck when I'm into the serious off-road stuff and Jake is looking into lifting it. As for wheel color, we're thinking fluorescent brown with mud colored flames.

http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t55/loghousenut/Wow/Ridgepole7-7-10034.jpg

Mrs. Mossey is doing her best to keep this thread on its track but "boys will be boys"!

BoFuller
10-06-2012, 07:56 PM
Mosseyme, well put. A different breed indeed. And I too am almost completely ignorant of which side I am on when posting. Great thoughts.

BoFuller
10-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Little Bro,
Great shot of Jake "lifting" the Gradall.

mario kadu
10-12-2012, 08:06 AM
now if were me, I'd jack up the rear end (just like we did on the '57 Bel-Air in auto shop) build in a fibre-glass air scoop on the hood, put red lights in the wheel wells, chrome plate the differential, and get a sweet black-leather-diamond-button tuck and roll job done by those excellant craftsmen in Tijuana - now that is a way cool ride!

Admin
10-13-2012, 01:49 AM
The title of this post has been edited to comply with rule 34 (http://www.loghomebuilders.org/forum-guidelines-and-terms-service).

Gomer
10-14-2012, 12:54 PM
The title of this post has been edited to comply with rule 34 (http://www.loghomebuilders.org/forum-guidelines-and-terms-service).

huh? :rolleyes:

Admin
10-14-2012, 09:42 PM
huh? :rolleyes:

The original title of this post contained excessive punctuation ("Piers??!!") which is discouraged (see rule 34). We edited the title and posted a note here so that anyone looking for the old thread could still find it under the new title.

It's nothing personal. You'll find that most forums have similar etiquette rules about excessive punctuation and capitalization (like this video game (http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/forum-73/announcement-76-world-of-tanks-forum-rules/) forum, or this skiing (http://ski.com.au/forum/terms_etiquette.html)forum). The goal is to keep things as easy to read as possible.

BoFuller
10-15-2012, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the clarification. Good to know.