PDA

View Full Version : Cabin In Granite Falls Washington

man7sell
09-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Newbie ;)

Last year we purchase a nice 1/2 acre in Granite Falls Washington. The property has an existing 3 bedroom septic system, PUD water, And now electrical. The layout of the property starts narrow 48' at the road and widens to over 200' at the river. There is an existing little cabin next to the river (Medium bank above the 100 year flood zone.

The build area for the house/cabin we want to build is approximately 30 wide and 45 feet deep after all the setbacks.

We have flirted with several ideas for the home from steel shipping containers to traditional stick build. However my desire would be to build a log cabin with 2 bedrooms and a great room that over looks the river and forrest. After talking to many log cabin kit manufactures I have not been impressed with the construction or prices.

Forums have helped with various projects in the past from model railroad building to a brick build wood fired pizza oven (Nearing completion by the river, hmmmmm pizzzzzza)

So I will be searching the forum for ideas and technical help. First off looking at foundation requirements.

marvlus
09-17-2012, 10:31 AM
I think you will find that all of those that have or are building will strongly suggest that you attend the 2 day class (which is being offered next in November). It will be well worth the cost and will also increase your motivation to build your own log cabin. Once you take the class, you will have given yourself the basic knowledge to build on your own, with any questions/ideas being answered on the members only forum.

Timberwolf
09-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Seconded! :)

rocklock
09-18-2012, 07:13 AM
Foundation requirements for a log home in Wa are the same as those for a rock house. You can goggle these rules.
My log home over looks a 15 acre never pond. Wet lands can be a pain for any new construction. I would check with the county with a set of ideas and measurements for there requirements. They may require mitigation, and a bunch of stuff. Better to get your cards on the table than be surprised later.
Best of luck
Dave in Camano Island

man7sell
09-18-2012, 09:11 AM
Good points, I'll check out the next class. Dave, I'll be checking with Snohomish county on their building requirements for the log home. I know that there is a 150 Ft setback which I have had surveyed (It's what limits the size of the house).

man7sell
09-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Rats, I will be overseas teaching a class (airplanes not buildings ;) ) Have to look at one on next years schedule.

John W
09-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Rocklock, what's a 15 acre 'never' pond, or is that a typo?

rocklock
09-19-2012, 12:36 PM
Typo and now I must enter 10.