PDA

View Full Version : Building around Fireplace???

nylogman
01-06-2006, 08:54 PM
Hi Everyone,

Well, I'm signed up for 2/18-2/19. Cant wait to take class! I was wondering if anyone either knows if the following would be addressed in the class? Or, if anyone has any info on it would be great.
Here goes: I am in the process of purchasing 4 mountain acres of land here in New Paltz, NY. On the homesite, sits a HUGE Multi-level stone fireplace from a previous structure that burnt down 15 yrs ago. (The property used to be part of an old NYC orphanage camp 90 years ago). My question is, can a log home be built around this easily? Here in the catskills there are many building laws to protect the natural beauty of the area, so I am limited to 1800 sq.ft. of house. Man...This is a big fireplace!!! Will the class help me with this? Thanks!

sparky
01-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Hello nylogman,
Bring that question and all your others to class, they will be answered. Will it be easy? Who cares, if it is still structurally sound or can reasonably be brought up to that point it would be worth it. What a Kewl feature to have in your home :!:

JeffandSara
01-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Hi, Nylogman--

Good luck on your land purchase!

I agree with Sparky that it would be neat to be able to include the older fireplace in your new home. We didn't opt for a fireplace in our house, and went with a woodstove instead. But when we were still considering masonry, we looked into designs that placed the fireplace inside the structure instead of in one wall, for structural reasons. With a fireplace in a central location, it seemed like you got to "enjoy" it from more parts of the house, too.

If you build according to the techniques taught in the seminar, I wouldn't think you'd want to lose the four-full-wall stability of the butt-and-pass style. But there might well be a way to design your house to build literally "around" it, not just building the walls "up to" it like many houses with fireplaces are built.

Sparky's right, though, if you get the land, bring photos to the class and do a little brainstorming. :D

Good luck to you, and welcome to the forum.

Sara :D

nylogman
01-11-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks for input. I think because of circumference of the fireplace and its location on site, it would tough to build "around" it. Will the class show me techniques on how to incorporate this giant fireplace and chimney into the home I want to build? It seems difficult to do butt and pass style if I dont make a "box" and have fireplace in it.
Thanks for any tips or info.

wood bug
01-14-2006, 04:12 AM
One thing to consider if you can't build it into your house for some reason, build close enough to it to be safe a make it an outside oven/roaster bbq/party/relaxing hang out area.

dbtoo
01-16-2006, 06:20 AM
Hi Everyone,

Well, I'm signed up for 2/18-2/19. Cant wait to take class!

Is the land anywhere near Mohonk Mountain house? I am signed up for the same class. I used to work in POK, at IBM. I have good friends still up in red hook, and some future ex-inlaws in that area. Owned a house out in Unionvale.

I moved out to AZ 10 yrs ago. Last year I bought 40 acres on a Canyon, off-grid! 5 acres on the rim, 35 arces in the canyon ( about 100 feet straight down). Views to die for, and best is that it's pristine, and protected, so the landscape won't change much with more houses, unlike alot of the area around it.

I am planning on putting up a log home there. Quiting corporate life, and enjoy myself!