PDA

View Full Version : Mobile Home Towing Estimates?

DanS
09-03-2012, 08:59 PM
Any rough estimates on how much it would cost to tow a mobile home roughly 100 miles? 10x40, built in 1985, filled with all the stuff inside (furnace, stove, etc...).

Reason I ask is because we have the money set aside to put in septic, water and driveway right now. Obviously we need those to be functioning for us to move a mobile home up there to live. Still need to get the solar electric installed, but with a special use permit (which we need in our jurisdiction to live in a mobile home) we probably have enough to also get a workable electric system up right now. And right now I see a cheap (well, free) mobile home that might work for us. We have two or three switchbacks on our road to worry about, but a 1250 gallon septic tank can be trailered up there, so I figure a mobile home can too, but only a small one--that's why I'm considering jumping on this one.

So really I have two simple questions to answer for myself tomorrow/ASAP:

Can I transport a mobile home to the site and store it there until I have the special use permit issued? (will ask planning/zoning department tomorrow) The special use permit will take a month or two to get approved most likely.
What is the typical cost to have a mobile home hauled, or what is a common cost schedule look like? Extra fees to cross passes (I am in CO)? Extra fees for a 14% dirt road? Extra fees for tight switchbacks?

Those questions will help me determine if I should try and jump on this mobile home, or if I should pass on it and keep plodding away with getting the utilities installed (the mobile home would have to be moved either way to get the water/septic/driveway done--so it would be hooked up at a later date anyway)? Are there mobile home storage lots that are affordable by mobile home towing companies if it made more sense to snag the free mobile home, then wait to haul it up to our property? I'm just spitballing at the moment, but getting away from even the silly cheap rent we pay now would be GREAT. Besides, we rent a 10x40 mobile home that now leaks, and has ceased to provide pack rats for the cat to eat, so we might as well live in a 10x40 that we aren't paying for, right?

I will call and get a few quotes tomorrow probably, but any guidance folks might have would be great before I do that.

It might even be more of a travel trailer than a "mobile home" which would make some of the issues even easier, no? I don't own anything that can safely tow something that big, so I'd probably be hiring it out anyway if it is, but...

Dan

edkemper
09-04-2012, 10:02 AM
My suggestion is to call one of the mobile home dealers in your area. They can hook you up with drivers with trucks sufficient for the task. But you better check with your local city/county department to determine if it's got some special requirements or permits needed.