PDA

View Full Version : Hello and Questions!

jaegerfarms
08-07-2012, 07:55 AM
Hello everyone, I stumbled across this today when I was once again looking at homes for our house. Currently we have 5 acres in NE Florida on an island where we live. It's just my husband and I with no children (nor plans for any), but we do have 2 horses, 4 dogs, 1 goat, 2 cats and 9 chickens. We're working on building ourselves in to sustainable farming currently with gardens and raising our own steer and pigs for meat.

Right now we have the single-wide trailer that came with our property and while it's perfectly safe to live in, we're looking at and planning for purchasing or building our next home. We would really love a log cabin home around 1,600-1,900 square feet.

I've already sent the link to my husband about the class, but before we even think about going, I would like to know about building codes. I currently work in construction and have already helped to build 2 personal homes (I work in underground utilities i.e. sewer, force, water and gas mains, not vertical construction) so I do have experience. I also have access to backhoes and excavators which I think would make things much easier in the long run. Still, I have 3 questions.

Can you build one of these cabins up to our 120 mph wind speed zones that must meet codes?

Can you build these with a crawl space underneath? We're in a potential flood zone so we'd like for our home to be built up 24"-36" in case minor flooding does occur.

Also, pine trees are the most common here. Can you use pine as your logs or would we need to go for shipping in some logs? There's a lot of logging operations around us, but it's mainly pine used for pulp although there is plenty of sawmill lumber as well.

Thank you for your help. I'd like to present this as a viable option to my husband (who would be full on with this) but I want to make sure it is an option since we do live on the coast.

rreidnauer
08-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Yes, yes, and yes.

The only modification to the LHBA way, might be reducing the roof overhangs, and the addition of hurricane ties. The main structure easily passes and wind ratings. It's probably the strongest method of building, short of poured concrete walls.

Crawlspace is no problem. It's what I'll be doing. Many others build full basements, even walk-outs.

You can use local pine. No problem there. Regardless of species, you'll just use some inexpensive preventive measures for rot/insects. (a good idea no matter where you are in the Southeast)

blane
08-07-2012, 09:49 AM
We do have members that have built in northern Florida with no problems as far as codes go, but even though they have treated multiple times with borates they are having some issues with insects. Not much can be done about boring bees. But it can be done. I would prefer to transport in white pine rather than to use the pulp wood trees you have there, they are more prone to insects and rot. YMMV

jaegerfarms
08-07-2012, 09:58 AM
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure and the research I was doing wasn't giving me hope, but those were all for kits which is what we wanted to stay away from.

I'll definitely start looking in to classes for next year or 2014.

blane
08-07-2012, 10:03 AM
If you can swing it, I would take the class sooner than later. It will help you greatly in your preparation for building even if you are not going to build for a few years..
Thank you! I just wanted to make sure and the research I was doing wasn't giving me hope, but those were all for kits which is what we wanted to stay away from.

I'll definitely start looking in to classes for next year or 2014.

jaegerfarms
08-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Currently it's just not in the books for this year and probably next. We're Civil War Reenactors so this year is 150th of Antietam and next year we're doing the 150th Gettysburg. So it's more so we've run out of vacation time between the large events and our local battles. Hubby does not work a normal 8-5 M-F job so he would have to take time off. More than likely we'll be in it for 2014 just because of vacation time.

jrdavis
08-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Jaeger --
Glad that you found the site.
Keep reading and you'll find that its not immediate that is important. its the dream.

You can do it. I took the class 12 years ago and have just purchased land to start building.
Read as mucha s you can on the site and definately check out the pictures.

James.

edkemper
08-07-2012, 02:02 PM
Actually, you should come to my place (with all your heavy equipment) and you can get experience on my place. <smile> I'm only as far as Oregon.

Welcome, hope you stick around.

hammerhead 67
08-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Yep. Building should be no problem. Add hurricane ties to rafters and use an approved roofing material/method and you should be good to go. A little research on soil issues so you know how big/deep your piers need to be.

Check into Cypress logs. They have excellent rot resistance.

jaegerfarms
08-10-2012, 04:17 AM
Thanks everyone.

@hammerhead That's what I was actually thinking, was going ahead and using cedar logs. It will be more expensive, but I think in the long run we'd end up being better off.

We'd probably end up sinking our piers 10-12 feet easily. I can get the auger bore machine out and drill us some holes big enough no problem. Probably end up filling the hole halfway with cement just to make sure we stay put. Barn poles currently are sunk 6-8ft and I don't think they're moving any time soon.

hammerhead 67
08-10-2012, 05:40 AM
Jaeger,
Research the piers/pilings carefully. I lived in FL for a L O N G time and they could be a huge problem if installed incorrectly. Hate to build a beautiful home only to have one corner drop/tilt or termites eat you up.
I may be reading your post wrong but you want your piers to be one solid hunk o concrete with NO wood below grade for maximum life and minimum bug issues. Most of the fishcamps that survived Katrina were built on concrete piers instead of wood.

If you haven't taken the class, you will love it! Save you a pile of money on your build too. We are breaking ground as soon as our house sells and I have probably saved myself $40,000 in "great" ideas that wouldn't work, and another $10-20K in better/faster/cheaper ways of doing what I was already going to do. Crazy part is NONE of that money or great ideas would have produced anything positive, just headaches, delays, and expenses.
I hate to be a fanboy but the LHBA method rocks.