PDA

View Full Version : Sept 1&2 class?

wsp1nc
07-14-2012, 12:07 AM
Howdy folks, so I'm on the verge of signing up for the September 1-2 2012 class if it's still on. I've got a couple of questions though...firstly, anybody else heading to Vegas for this class? Secondly, if you're attending, do you have a spouse/significant other coming with you but not attending the class? My wife is coming to Vegas with me but feels she'd be left behind in terms of language comprehension (she's fresh from china) if she goes to the class. I'm hoping someone else is in the same position and maybe we can introduce the ladies so they can keep each other company while we're in class. It might take me a few days to reply to any responses I get...if any, hahaha. I'll be traveling from china back to the USA for the next couple of days.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Broncology
07-14-2012, 02:31 PM
I am signed up for the September class, but will be coming alone so not much help there. After reading much of the information on this site, I could hardly sign up quick enough! Looking forward to the class!

Chuck

panderson03
07-14-2012, 02:38 PM
welcome you two!
Chuck, we were the same way!! found this site in April 2009 and signed up immediately for the next class (May 2009) :) have fun reading the public forums here. there's a lot of good info to be found. glad you found us!!

wsp1nc
07-14-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm in the same boat! I was on board right away but my wife took a little convincing. Haha She's 100% behind the project now though.

Jan
07-15-2012, 06:43 PM
How did you convince your wife? Mine thinks I am crazy.

BoFuller
07-15-2012, 07:44 PM

You are. We all are. :)

blane
07-16-2012, 04:05 AM
Ha, my wife convinced me and we are both crazy now:)

panderson03
07-16-2012, 06:00 AM

for us there were 2 key parts.
1) that we CAN DO IT ourselves (with the info provided in class and the support of the members side)
2) that after all the hard work it would take to get it done, we'd own it free and clear. the only way we're going to be able to retire is if we have no mortgage to pay off. that's a huge motivator for us.

maybe you could give your sceptical spouse links to a few build blogs? she could then see that we are indeed ordinary people doing extraordinary things. you can too :)

welcome aboard!

wsp1nc
07-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Ha, my wife convinced me and we are both crazy now:)
This particular madness seems to be communicable...at least after explaining cost benefits and looking at the student homes pics. Haha

DanS
07-25-2012, 07:06 PM
I am coming to the Sept 1/2 class. I'm bringing my mother with me to class. We will probably force my wife and my father to come to a class maybe in 2013 (my wife cannot get weekends off, so it's tough).

I have had a hand in a few milled log buildings very similar to the LHBA style (but none of them chinked, even after 20 years). But, my wife and I have a metric ton of timbered land, so the idea of avoiding milled logs is great from a cost, transportation cost, and aesthetic standpoint. We bought the land without involving a bank, and that's precisely what we intend to do here too, if at all possible. Fully expecting to look for el-cheapo trailer or something as soon as we can get the utilities in (well, septic and solar--we've set aside the money to do the first two, and should have electric done by this fall) just to stop paying rent.

Dan

rckclmbr428
07-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Good luck, take lots of notes

Mosseyme
07-25-2012, 08:29 PM
Dan
When you get through the class youll be half way there with all you ve got going there good luck. Where are you building?

loghousenut
07-25-2012, 11:01 PM
Dan has a plan. And it's a good'n.

DanS
07-26-2012, 04:02 AM
Where are you building?

Central Colorado. Clear Creek County, to be specific.

Good luck, take lots of notes

Notes are something I tend to be very good at. ;)

Dan has a plan. And it's a good's.

I hope so. Moreover, I hope the county thinks so.

Dan

blane
07-26-2012, 06:13 AM
Way to go Dan! I like your plan too.

marvlus
07-26-2012, 06:13 AM
I will be joining the Labor day wknd class, as well. I am coming alone. My wife is not a fan of Vegas and my son cannot get away. I am excited about the prospect of building a log home. I have a 41 acre tract of land near Columbus, GA. Plenty of Southern Pine to build from. Also lots of hardwood trees, but at this point, looking to use the pine only. Looking forward to meeting my fellow diyer's.

Rob in MN
07-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Cannot make the September class but hope the following one can be made to work.
I like what I see here and read here - always loved a log cabin/home and the time is nearing for retirement.
If it's something I can do, albeit in a shorter time than some of you!, it will be perfect fit I suspect.
In the interim I will probably make you crazy with some generic questions. If so - say so.
cheers and a cup of some nice columbian at you all

panderson03
07-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Hey Rob in MN. welcome! nice to see another Minnesotan here :)

Broncology
07-26-2012, 02:31 PM
I will be ready for note taking! I am building in Chattanooga, TN and am looking forward to all my questions being answered in class.

edkemper
07-29-2012, 12:29 PM
Broncology,

You have no idea what you are going to experience. Try to rest your smile muscles before you go.

Yes, most of your present questions will be "handled." Most will float out the window. What you will come home with are far more questions that will change your lives. You also come home to a "large few" helpful members (it's amazing on the other side) to help with every question and/or creative research you want or need. By the time you get on the other side, every question you had has changed. That's when the fun starts. But you will always remember that weekend being with Steve and Ellsworth.

discipler
07-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Hello I am looking for a roommate for the class. My name is Chris I am a single 45 year old man that doesnt smoke but ok if you do. My cell number is 270 217 9233
thanx chris
QUOTE=Broncology;76004]I am signed up for the September class, but will be coming alone so not much help there. After reading much of the information on this site, I could hardly sign up quick enough! Looking forward to the class!

Chuck[/QUOTE]

marvlus
08-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Only 2 1/2 half more weeks! This day cannot come soon enough!:)

Marv

panderson03
08-15-2012, 09:46 AM
waiting for class is SO THE HARDEST PART! I'm a dreamer/planner by nature and NOT having the specifics I need to dream/plan almost KILLED me :) hang in there. it will come soon enough. in the meantime maybe you could invest some time reading up on the basics of plumbing, cement work, electric, etc :)

marvlus
08-15-2012, 10:08 AM
in the meantime maybe you could invest some time reading up on the basics of plumbing, cement work, electric, etc :)

Good Idea. thanks!

dakota.abe
08-22-2012, 07:10 PM
Hi ! This is Dave and Denise – we live in the Sioux Falls, SD area now but are planning on building our log home in the Black Hills of SD or points west in a couple years.
We are set to join the Labor Day class in 10 days and from what we have found out about this group it will be very informative! It seems our mindset dovetails with the LHBA’s so it should be a very beneficial experience for years to come.
We hope to find others in our vicinity who may be able to use our ?help? on their LHBA home at some point if schedules allow.

edkemper
08-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Dakota,

You are in for an experience. Then you get home and all your past birthday's presents are sitting wrapped in front of you. You get on the Member's side. That's where we get to know you. Look forward to the week after Labor Day.

Glad you're taking the plunge.

marvlus
08-24-2012, 04:43 AM
Dakota, I was raised in the Black Hills of SD, more specifically, in Hot Springs. Beautiful country. My brother still lives there. Hope to run into you at the class, as I will be there, also.

Marv

dakota.abe
08-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Thank you for the "Welcome".
We are looking forward to meeting everyone, at the class and on the Members side.

Dave and Denise

rckclmbr428
08-25-2012, 03:19 AM
Its getting closer...

Timberwolf
08-25-2012, 04:51 AM
Its getting closer...

Realease the n00bs. ;)

gururaj_pare
08-25-2012, 07:39 AM
I and my brother signed up for the class just now. Looking forward to meeting all of you. I will be drving from San Jose, CA to Las Vegas. Haven't decided where to stay. Any suggestions on where to stay?
Also want to see if we can get to the member area before we can get to the class.
Cheers
Guru

loghousenut
08-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Guru,

A wise Accountant once told a wise Doctor "Patients are a virtue".

PS... You don't want to muddle your mind with all of the mindless minutae of the members side of the forum. Wait til you're primed and ready to run on all cylinders at top speed. I'll see you and your Brother there.

gururaj_pare
08-25-2012, 10:54 AM
Hi there. No problem. There is enough to read in the public area if I want do so. Just curious but like you said I better wait. :)

edkemper
08-25-2012, 03:17 PM
About the best pre-class study guide would be the public forum. That turned out to be the best reading material before I went to the class.

panderson03
08-29-2012, 01:37 PM
well...?? where are we at in the count-down, people??!! how many hours left til you catch your flight ?? and how many hours left til class starts?? :) I remember those days well !!!!

Broncology
08-29-2012, 03:14 PM
38 hrs till plane leaves Knoxville, TN
62 hrs till class starts in Las Vegas

Chuck

Mosseyme
08-29-2012, 06:12 PM
Hey Broncology,
Have fun, don't ask to many questions save them for the question and answer time, will probably already have been answered. Do write your question down just in case they are not answered. Good to have another E TN guy/gal here.

marvlus
08-30-2012, 04:54 AM
36 hours till plane leaves Atlanta, GA
48 hours till class starts

Marv

panderson03
08-30-2012, 05:33 AM
when we went to class I wished I'd brought a sweater (the room got really cold in the afternoon) and I'd wished I brought more than one writing utensil! I hope they serve Skips famous cookies! they're YUMMY!!! have fun :)

Broncology
08-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Hey Broncology,
Have fun, don't ask to many questions save them for the question and answer time, will probably already have been answered. Do write your question down just in case they are not answered. Good to have another E TN guy/gal here.

I have been hoping to see some E. TN people on the members side! I am sure I will have plenty of questions to write down, good advice!

20 hrs till plane leaves Knoxville, TN
44 hrs till class starts in Las Vegas

blane
08-30-2012, 12:31 PM
Broncology,
Just across the State line in WNC. Come see us after you return.

rckclmbr428
08-30-2012, 12:37 PM
Broncology,
we are building this little 9000 sq.ft. gem just across the border near Sylva, NC, and I have alot up here near Roanoke when you get back, btw, there still 10' more of walls to go on this one..
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/rckclmbr428/IMAG1414.jpg

Mosseyme
08-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Broncology,
Are you in the medical field? We are and there is another building near Knoxville.

Mosseyme
08-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Marvlus,
Have fun, where did you say you are from? Atlanta is such a central hub can't assume you are from Ga.

marvlus
08-31-2012, 05:12 AM
Marvlus,
Have fun, where did you say you are from? Atlanta is such a central hub can't assume you are from Ga.

I am from Columbus, GA, which is about 100 miles south of Atlanta, on the western border of GA. Ft. Benning is right outside of Columbus. Looking forward to the class!

marvlus
08-31-2012, 05:18 AM
Broncology,
we are building this little 9000 sq.ft. gem just across the border near Sylva, NC, and I have alot up here near Roanoke when you get back, btw, there still 10' more of walls to go on this one..
rckclmbr428,
Wow, if 9000 sq. ft. is little in your world, I'd like to know what is large!:) How many stories? Basement?

Marv

mediaman
09-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Hello I am looking for a roommate for the class. My name is Chris I am a single 45 year old man that doesnt smoke but ok if you do. My cell number is 270 217 9233
thanx chris
QUOTE=Broncology;76004]I am signed up for the September class, but will be coming alone so not much help there. After reading much of the information on this site, I could hardly sign up quick enough! Looking forward to the class!

Chuck[/QUOTE]

Hello, Chris !!

I was also looking for a roommate for class but my schedule keeps on conflicting with so many other things !!
I am sure people here can relate. I keep on saying to myself, "next class, next class", etc.,.
I have been saying this for some time now. Hopefully November will be the one for me !!
I've been one of the many who decided to ask questions and learn as much as I can in the forum before the motivating big weekend in vegas !!!

------ have fun

George

mediaman
09-02-2012, 02:58 PM
broncology,
we are building this little 9000 sq.ft. Gem just across the border near sylva, nc, and i have alot up here near roanoke when you get back, btw, there still 10' more of walls to go on this one..
http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk122/rckclmbr428/imag1414.jpg

that is a gorgeous 9000 sq ft gem !! Congrats !!!!!

IwLam
09-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Just received an email notifying about a LHBA's class in Nov 10-11 Veteran's Day weekend.

Timber
09-04-2012, 07:41 AM
wow that looks like a lot of work right there.
who drew the plans/ architect

rckclmbr428
09-04-2012, 11:59 AM
I did all the design work, as well as drew all the plans for that home :)

Broncology
09-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Broncology,
Just across the State line in WNC. Come see us after you return.

Blane

Would love to come check out your house! Hopefully soon I will have some more time to make it out you way. I will stay in touch!

Chuck

Broncology
09-04-2012, 03:50 PM
Broncology,

JUST 9000 sqft? On the small side but still amazing nonethless ;). Would enjoy seeing that for myself, many ideas are passing through my noggin now that class is over.

Broncology
09-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Broncology,
Are you in the medical field? We are and there is another building near Knoxville.

No, my username is alittle misleading. A hobby of mine is restoring old Ford Broncos (1966-1977). I thought up that name sometime ago, just happened to be while I was taking biology in college :). Broncology, haha.

edkemper
09-04-2012, 05:30 PM
Makes since and a great hobby. Nothing like a vintage bronco.

Pugsleeplikelog
09-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Good. Stressman is another handle that misleads. But in a happy way. Some stress is good, and Broncos do require some study. Still wanting to go to class....

loghousenut
09-04-2012, 06:34 PM
No, my username is alittle misleading. A hobby of mine is restoring old Ford Broncos (1966-1977). I thought up that name sometime ago, just happened to be while I was taking biology in college :). Broncology, haha.

Almost bought one new in 1972. I can smell it when I close my eyes. Every once in a blue moon I see one with the original rear fenders in tact and it makes me feel young again.

My username is kinda misleading also. It is really supposed to read "lo ghou sen ut"... "I am ever in love" in latin. Funny how these things happen.

BoFuller
09-04-2012, 07:18 PM
My username is kinda misleading also. It is really supposed to read "lo ghou sen ut"... "I am ever in love" in latin. Funny how these things happen.

Good thing I got my hip boots on.

Timber
09-04-2012, 08:49 PM
I did all the design work, as well as drew all the plans for that home :)

etcha sketch is allowed in that thar neck of the woods?

blane
09-05-2012, 07:03 AM
Hey! wait a minute now. You just poked a lot of southern folk with that one. :)
etcha sketch is allowed in that thar neck of the woods?

rckclmbr428
09-05-2012, 07:18 AM
I use a mix of Auto CAD and Sketchup

Timber
09-05-2012, 07:04 PM
you bid the work or T & M? Nice big job